"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Yeah, here you on the frustration of not being able to hit your optimal time over one lap. Consistency is not my strong suit.

Still, 1:55 must put you on or near pole in most lobbies? Though one of the cool things about GTS now is that you can race against the top drivers.

It’s a good time to get a wheel as there’s now affordable direct drive ones from Fanatec and Logitech.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed with the lap by any stretch. It puts me P1-3 most times. To your point about being able to race some of the top players, I actually got a win on one of the top 10's the other day. Amazing experience. He got me first race, I returned the favor the next:
20230404161010.jpg

Never looked back from there. Not to go on repeat and all, but, there's some damn good racing taking place over there. :D

I've been looking at the Fanatec GT DD wheel and the Logitech, though not the DD Logi' offering. That one looks amazing but is beyond what I am willing to spend...for now, anyway. If I splurge on anything right out the gate it'll probably be pedals. We'll see, though. :cheers:

Nice to beat one of the Top Tens! In the old GT Sport days I wouldn’t have been anyway near a too split lobby.

Yeah, the new Logitech DD is expensive.
It’s also pretty heavy and I have a foldable Playseat and am not sure it can stand the weight. Gonna stick with my G29 for now (tho’ load cell pedals would be nice).

Nice to beat one of the Top Tens! In the old GT Sport days I wouldn’t have been anyway near a too split lobby.

Yeah, the new Logitech DD is expensive.
It’s also pretty heavy and I have a foldable Playseat and am not sure it can stand the weight. Gonna stick with my G29 for now (tho’ load cell pedals would be nice).
Back in the heyday I wouldn't be NEAR the top 10, lol! Still feels nice to run alongside some of these folks so the thinning herd is a benefit in that regard. I also can't believe how much fun the Bug' is to drive. It's a lot of weight to throw around but once you figure it out, it's a solid car. Runnin' -1 on the brakes made a big difference for me. Have put almost 2K miles on it since switching from the Mustang.

I'm actually leaning towards the Logitech. Way more approachable from a cost perspective, especially given I've no idea how I'm going to like it. I've been controller'd since the beginning, I have to at least acknowledge that switching now might not work out. Would suck to drop $700+ on something and hate it. Less money = less (potential) impact to the groin. :D

Did you start on a controller and then go to a wheel? If so, what was your experience like?

You mean a non-DD cheaper Logitech like a G29? I like mine, though I haven’t tried a DD or even a belt drive wheel. It’s also been trouble free for 2+ years.

I never got good on the controller before I got the wheel. I imagine there will be some adjustment, but it’s ultimately faster, and more immersive.

Big question with the wheel is what you gonna do for a cockpit? I have a foldable Playseat which works well with the G29.

You mean a non-DD cheaper Logitech like a G29? I like mine, though I haven’t tried a DD or even a belt drive wheel. It’s also been trouble free for 2+ years.

I never got good on the controller before I got the wheel. I imagine there will be some adjustment, but it’s ultimately faster, and more immersive.

Big question with the wheel is what you gonna do for a cockpit? I have a foldable Playseat which works well with the G29.
That's the exact wheel I had in mind, and mainly for the reason you mention, it's been trouble free. Learning something new is challenging enough. Technical difficulties along the way makes it a million times harder. The Logitech's are good, stable pieces of hardware with a reasonable entry point. In the end, the immersion is the key, anyway. Driving like this on public roads gets me in trouble...and I don't have any racecars in the garage, either.

I like building stuff so will be doing a DIY cockpit. I've got a line on a car seat (power/heated VW seat :D) and supporting switches to make it all function as it would in a car. Grabbed an old Logitech Z5500 set for sound and a 12v supply for the seat. Will load everything up in there and secure it (PS, audio, power supply, wheel/pedals) so I can move it around in the garage easily. Figure a screen on a full motion mount on the wall should solve viewing issues. Have some auto wrap/vinyl left-over that will probably be thrown at it, too.

Won't be quick or easy, but should be pretty cool once done. Started cuttin' pieces last night. Will post pics once done. :cheers:

Rig sounds great. Definitely post a picture.

You should also get the Logitech shifter. Useless in Sport Mode, but I use mine in classic cars and tracks on Assetto Corsa. Lots of fun and the AI in that game are pretty good.

Sad to see Monza go...never made top 10, but juuuuuust missed it. I think P10 was 1:55.057 and the best I was able to get across the line was 1:55.104. Not cryin', that's for sure, given it was amazing racing all month long.

Time for the next ones, though with a bit less enthusiasm. We'll see how these pan-out for the month but dreams of a top 10 at either B or C are scant and unrealistic. :D

Maybe it's time to blow the dust off that GT7 box that's been sittin' here. Meant to crack it open when I got my platinum trophy, just never did. If nothing else, I need to get in there and start making some money and building up my garage.:cheers:

Tried Race C last night and there were 4 players. This morning there were 8 and then one quit because the lobby was too small lol!

Has B been better? Wasn’t expecting the numbers to be so low in the first week!

Last edited:
Haven't raced yet either of them yet...still trying to decide which one I dislike less. 😁

While that certainly isn't encouraging, I'm not entirely surprised. I ran some laps there, and in one of my favorite cars to throw around, the WRX, but just can't get into it. Was never a huge fan of this course and can't put my finger on why. Not an Interlagos fan boi either, but at least it's in Gr.3's. Have spent a couple months in the Gr.4's now, thinkin' I'm gonna put some time in with the 3's this month...kinda miss the growl of the F-Type.

Gonna throw my hat in the ring tomorrow, hoping numbers are up!:cheers:

Had a bad day on GT7, dropping DR at Laguna and Spa (and SR b/c I lost my cool and retaliated!).

But you should try it. Spa has variable weather this week, and it got dark in one of the Laguna races.

Ok, gonna need to pull back on this one, lol. Suck at Barcelona and got completely mauled starting P6 at Interlagos. Finished an uninspiring 12th. Gonna be a WHILE until I get comfortable enough around that course to head into that massacre again.🤣

How full were the races in B and C?

My nine year old son was leading Race A today, having passed a driver in the top ten in the Americas for the lead, and some [expletive deleted] punted him off!

How full were the races in B and C?

My nine year old son was leading Race A today, having passed a driver in the top ten in the Americas for the lead, and some [expletive deleted] punted him off!
Amazingly awesome and amazingly crappy all in one race...at least they're getting to know the real Gran Turismo early. 😁 In all seriousness though, that's pretty cool, sans the punting bit.

I had a full grid for the ONE race I was in. That was yesterday around 6 EDT. Haven't bothered to actually run a race at Barcelona as I am way off pace there. Gonna keep practicing both of these courses, I just don't have that many miles on them. I hated Red Bull Ring until I figured it out and now it's one of my favorites. Hoping it's the same with these.

Good luck out there!:cheers:

Yeah, it was pretty cool!

Hope to see you on track at Barca. I really hate the final chicane, but enjoy the rest of the track.

Btw, GT7 now has no chicane Barca w/they’ve used in a daily race and in GTWS (what the FIA races are now called).

Ok, so I'm finally warming-up to Barcelona. Enough so that my inner 10 y/o self has stopped calling it Barfelona.😁

This really has turned into reliving my Red Bull woes, hate it 'til you know it. Slowly but surely I'm shaking free of guaranteed penalties every go-round and blowing T3 every. damn. lap. Been some awesome door-to-door racing as Gr.4's never disappoint in that regard. Didn't go too overboard with races but all that I was in were 12+, so attendance is still holding up. :cheers:

T3 is tough. I follow Tidgney’s advice - stay tight to the right until you see the two orange barriers on the left, then you can boot it and not run wide.

And, yeah, it’s one of those tracks with silly track limits, like RBR. And I hate the final chicane! GT7 has a no chicane version which is much better!

How have your lobbies been? I’ve only been in one with double digits. Just did a race with nine drivers, and four quit …

Last edited:
@mellofello9 - you are quick! Hung with you for a lap but then you gapped me.

Had some good races with 9-10 car lobbies this week so maybe GTS is not quite dead yet. Unlike this thread which seems like it’s just you and me!

My strat at Barca is to pit early, let everyone fight, and get an undercut.

Last edited:
To be honest, I've stayed away from Interlagos...I can only deal with one loathed track at a time. 😁

I ran four races, the first was me and one other driver, which was kinda fun. I was running a quicker pace and didn't feel like driving around by myself, so dropped back and we sparred for a while. Next three races were a whopping four entries, which means there was still a battle to make podium, at least.

Taking into account it's a Wednesday morning, I wouldn't expect to see too many racers, BUT, this is dismally low. To be fair, the races I ran this weekend were all 12+ grids with a handful maxed out. I really can't believe it's lasted this long, as the death knell is certainly upon us. Maybe they sold a bunch of copies over the Holidays and want bait in some more online players to carry into GT7.🤣

The end is indeed near, sadly. 💩

:cheers:
@mellofello9 - you are quick! Hung with you for a lap but then you gapped me.

Had some good races with 9-10 car lobbies this week so maybe GTS is not quite dead yet. Unlike this thread which seems like it’s just you and me!

My strat at Barca is to pit early, let everyone fight, and get an undercut.
LOL...apparently I typed that message above the quote but never posted it.😁

Appreciate the kind words. It finally clicked and I was able to (kinda) figure this place out. Only took dozens and dozens of laps but was worth it. Plus my jaw doesn't hurt from the frustration induced gnashing of teeth for absolutely EVERY corner. Should help solve my recently acquired ibuprofen habit, too.

I was in a couple races yesterday morning all by myself, which totally sucks. A couple more joined in over subsequent races but never got past 5 people. My initial goal was to bail on GTS (for GT7) once I got my final trophy, but then the racing stayed damn good. Then I figured I'll just keep racing until there's no-one left...guess that day is quickly approaching.

As for strategy here, it all comes down to who I'm racing. If I'm barely holding on/keeping pace, I pit when the driver in front of me does. If I'm feeling super confident, I'll pit at the midpoint and get a fresh set of tires, too. I've found that, if I stick to a strategy for the sake of sticking to it, and without taking into account my competition, I get burned.🤣

To be honest, I've stayed away from Interlagos...I can only deal with one loathed track at a time. 😁

I ran four races, the first was me and one other driver, which was kinda fun. I was running a quicker pace and didn't feel like driving around by myself, so dropped back and we sparred for a while. Next three races were a whopping four entries, which means there was still a battle to make podium, at least.

Taking into account it's a Wednesday morning, I wouldn't expect to see too many racers, BUT, this is dismally low. To be fair, the races I ran this weekend were all 12+ grids with a handful maxed out. I really can't believe it's lasted this long, as the death knell is certainly upon us. Maybe they sold a bunch of copies over the Holidays and want bait in some more online players to carry into GT7.🤣

The end is indeed near, sadly. 💩

LOL...apparently I typed that message above the quote but never posted it.😁

Appreciate the kind words. It finally clicked and I was able to (kinda) figure this place out. Only took dozens and dozens of laps but was worth it. Plus my jaw doesn't hurt from the frustration induced gnashing of teeth for absolutely EVERY corner. Should help solve my recently acquired ibuprofen habit, too.

I was in a couple races yesterday morning all by myself, which totally sucks. A couple more joined in over subsequent races but never got past 5 people. My initial goal was to bail on GTS (for GT7) once I got my final trophy, but then the racing stayed damn good. Then I figured I'll just keep racing until there's no-one left...guess that day is quickly approaching.

As for strategy here, it all comes down to who I'm racing. If I'm barely holding on/keeping pace, I pit when the driver in front of me does. If I'm feeling super confident, I'll pit at the midpoint and get a fresh set of tires, too. I've found that, if I stick to a strategy for the sake of sticking to it, and without taking into account my competition, I get burned.🤣
I shaved off some more of my time from 1'33.191 to 1'32.728. I uploaded a video to Youtube for you guys to see but it won't be ready until this evening. The first part where you have to take a sharp left, then a right and then another left kills my time, because I can't trace a good enough line to gain time and speed.

The next part is tricky cause if I go too far over the right out of the limit I will get a penalty. This has happened at least 20 times in a 50-lap run. Painful and aggravating. I would like to narrow it down to a mid 1'31.000 or a high 1'30.000 but that's around the alien times, so idk about that.

I shaved off some more of my time from 1'33.191 to 1'32.728. I uploaded a video to Youtube for you guys to see but it won't be ready until this evening. The first part where you have to take a sharp left, then a right and then another left kills my time, because I can't trace a good enough line to gain time and speed.

The next part is tricky cause if I go too far over the right out of the limit I will get a penalty. This has happened at least 20 times in a 50-lap run. Painful and aggravating. I would like to narrow it down to a mid 1'31.000 or a high 1'30.000 but that's around the alien times, so idk about that.
I'm stuck in the 32's at 'Lagos and, tbh, have ZERO motivation to improve upon that, lol. Looks like new tracks are comin' anyway so I'll save toppling that one for the next round, should that come to fruition. 😁

Next round looks to be entertaining:
Race_A.PNG

Race_B.PNG

Race_C.PNG

Yeah, hard to say whether the low numbers in C signals the end of GTS, or just that it’s been up for nearly a month! I recall C at Spa in the wet a few races ago also had small lobbies in the last week.

But maybe the end is nigh …

Yeah, hard to say whether the low numbers in C signals the end of GTS, or just that it’s been up for nearly a month! I recall C at Spa in the wet a few races ago also had small lobbies in the last week.

But maybe the end is nigh …
In thinking about it, I'm growing weary of running laps there so can only imagine others are in the same boat. To the point I've started running the 24H 'Ring course versus actual racing I could be doing. Maggi' with the Gr.4's rarely disappoints, too.

We'll see how the racing goes with the new tracks coming Monday. Two of my favorites, curious as to how everyone else feels. Guess the grids will let us know. 😁

I did my last two races at Barca yesterday and finally got my DR back to A.

I’ve never learned the nordschliefe (sp?). And never got along with the full Maggiorre (sp?) GP circuit. I’m fine on big banky boy, but can’t get the line right for the downhill left 180 at the bottom of the track.

Been at Spa in GT7 this week. Full lobbies, close racing, but also lots of aggressive passing, punting, which GTS has less of now.

Hey, I ran a few laps at the Autodrome Lago M-Track. I'm getting the hang of this, the cones that are next to each other indicates braking/slowing down, whereas the single cones indicates when to turn. I studied this as I drove all over the course, and I got a time in the mid 2'06.000's. I was pleased with this but idk how far I can go, the top drivers are godly men who know the track from their birth.

So cyirush, you think GT Sport might be ending it's server time? I have seen them repeating tracks/courses over the past 14 months. Since February 2022. That's when I originally signed up for PS Plus.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it’ll continue. Tried LM last night and there were two cars in the race. Lots of less than full lobbies in C last week.

Many (all?) of the races are old GTS races.

I guess race A is more popular. I've had between 4 and 7 people in 4 races. I think people like Tokyo because it allows for dirty racing without lowering SR. That makes last to first challenges more interesting.

Edit- I just had 8 people in a demolition derby and then a race broke out. No SR was lost. If GT Sport online is ending soon, a lot of people will go out fighting... each other.

Last edited:
Back