"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
If the miscreants are pushing & shoving, getting negative SR, they will unknowingly drop to the DR reset levels. This now puts them out of the rooms with people who want to have good races.
Oh, that makes sense, I didn't consider that side of hiding the SR down info. A "stealth" SR reset should clear out the riff-raff and it would be clean aside from any incidental contact. I had it in my head that the SR wasn't being subtracted for some reason.

I did 2 more races tonight. Much better results and racing for the most part. I did get my qualifying time from 1:21:8XX down to a 1:21:5XX that helped a bit.

Race 1 I start P4. I do manage to go off track and lose a bunch of positions, yet again. Recover then next lap go off track and spin, yet again and fall to the back of the field yet again, which was P17 at the time.

8c5C.gif

Anyway, since I have lots of practice from catching up from the back, I manage to finish P9. Clean racing from everyone after my spin so that’s an improvement.

Race 2, I start P6. I get run into from behind at turn 1 and I manage to hang on. Turn 3 I run wide to avoid carnage, and P3 runs way wide and rejoins behind me but spins their tires and hits my rear quarter panel. Unexpected to be sure, but no harm no foul I keep going. I get hit from behind again on turn 1 on lap 2 and I start to go on tilt, but I keep it together. I almost go off track and spin on lap 2, I slow down, and I manage to save it! YAY! Nothing really happens the rest of the race and finish P6.

I am struggling in the last 2 turns (9/10) heading into the start straight in all the races I’ve done. I also seem to be pushing too hard all race even running alone and I’m not being as smooth as could be. Also, way too many off track penalties from running wide on turns 1 and 9/10 resulting from the pushing which is killing my pace. Back at for a few tomorrow and hoping for similar results.

Was 9 seconds behind the leading 2 cars for race C. I contemplated the undercut (pit at end of lap 6) but there was a train of 10 cars from about 8 seconds behind me, so decided against it. However both leaders tried the early stop on lap 6 and lost five seconds thanks to their out lap in traffic. Everyone else also pitted on lap 7.

Goes to show the undercut isn't always the best idea!

Last edited:
Had a good night, gained 2k DR and feel very very racy against my fellow A drivers even though I am barely above 30k.

Bit disappointed in the driving, the lack of penalties means I dont think i have been cleanly passed once all night, guys just shove it in and push me wide.....done. happens time and time again.

Racing the lunatics in THE NSX is interesting, they just fall apart towards the end and ya gotta do your best to just keep out of the way.

Oh, that makes sense, I didn't consider that side of hiding the SR down info. A "stealth" SR reset should clear out the riff-raff and it would be clean aside from any incidental contact. I had it in my head that the SR wasn't being subtracted for some reason.

I did 2 more races tonight. Much better results and racing for the most part. I did get my qualifying time from 1:21:8XX down to a 1:21:5XX that helped a bit.

Race 1 I start P4. I do manage to go off track and lose a bunch of positions, yet again. Recover then next lap go off track and spin, yet again and fall to the back of the field yet again, which was P17 at the time.

View attachment 1067644

Anyway, since I have lots of practice from catching up from the back, I manage to finish P9. Clean racing from everyone after my spin so that’s an improvement.

Race 2, I start P6. I get run into from behind at turn 1 and I manage to hang on. Turn 3 I run wide to avoid carnage, and P3 runs way wide and rejoins behind me but spins their tires and hits my rear quarter panel. Unexpected to be sure, but no harm no foul I keep going. I get hit from behind again on turn 1 on lap 2 and I start to go on tilt, but I keep it together. I almost go off track and spin on lap 2, I slow down, and I manage to save it! YAY! Nothing really happens the rest of the race and finish P6.

I am struggling in the last 2 turns (9/10) heading into the start straight in all the races I’ve done. I also seem to be pushing too hard all race even running alone and I’m not being as smooth as could be. Also, way too many off track penalties from running wide on turns 1 and 9/10 resulting from the pushing which is killing my pace. Back at for a few tomorrow and hoping for similar results.
Try too brake earlier and get off the brake before you turn in and take t9 with the inside wheels over the kerb and get on the power earlier, it almost sling shots you down to 10 which is similar you don't want to turn at these corners while you are still on the brakes. It's pretty hard to do with people wanting to divebomb from everywhere in these cars but they will carry more mid corner speed this way, at least that's my experience.

When they nerfed’ the penalty system from the ultra stringent to the new system (what was that, a few months ago?), I remember it being more lax…..but I don’t remember it being this bad? Am I smoking something? Or has PD changed it in the last month or so to make it even less stringent??

Field Report from Race A.

I am finding myself being awarded best lap more frequently during Week 28 (Slipstream Boot Camp: Going Camaro) than usual. For perspective, the reader is invited to imagine the "usual frequency" starting in the vicinity of "I Forgot That Was A Thing, Neat!" and is now up to a frequency of "More Than Once A Week? Cool!".

The strategy guides and posted laps on YouTube, like those posted by Tidgney, have helped substantially.

This week's race draws attention to the benefits of effective slipstream management.

This week's race draws attention to the drawbacks of poor slipstream management.

All of the BLEEP-eating grins seen in front of consoles across the globe can be attributed to the Muscle Car Effect.

It never goes away.

Ran a race C last night, a Brit in an NSX swerve locked in the braking zone to T2 so I had to almost come to a stop. Cost me one spot
In the pre race chat before the next race I type "swerve block in brake zone again and.."
So instead he runs me clean off with a well executed punt coming into the same corner, dropping me to dead last where I stayed the rest of the race. He quit on lap 8.

Well, at least I have his name written down. Hopefully I can contain myself from returning the favour but I will always be careful around him, now I know he is deliberately dirty

Ran another race this morning, the absence of contact penalties meant a Greek player hit me in the braking zone (not enough to make any difference) on every single corner for 3 laps. My first stint was on medium and I was in another car than him and his soft. Apparently he was a great hotlapper but a lousy racer since he couldn't adapt and overcome.
One single undercut in a corner would have led to him passing me but no..
Instead he left with a red S.

I am not a fan of the undocumented changes of the Penalty System. It doesn't promote clean racing at all ...

I do however suspect that it's undocumented because it's a cock-up from PD.

There is a way to take advantage of people hitting you from behind in some circumstances or side to side. The game tends to see it as you are being forced off the road. So flatten the throttle early and for example T1 in race C this week use all the run off area at full throttle. Comes in handy with chicanes like at le mans and the final chicane at Nurburgring. Just a thought

This is an SR 99 race.

Are there any non 99SR lobbies at the moment?

That is absolutely pathetic btw.

LOL my favourite move, hang wide at T3 early and watch the mayhem unfold.

On another note, in race trim I am being eaten alive at T3 exit, i lose a solid 3 to 5 tenths by the time we brake for T4. So annoying.
Make sure you’re entirely off the brake before you apex. (If you’re not already). It will let you get on the power earlier.

Last edited:
This is an SR 99 race.

Yup. It's been a battle zone all night. The cleanest race I had was the one where I was in the below 90 SR group because only 2 of us could hold pace. It was good seeing you out there. That one driver (uu know who) was a terror all night. I did win a couple but they were getting messy. It is a really fun race to be in except for when the bumping goes full demolition derby. If I could race with that confidence and control more often I think I'd be doing better.

Always good seeing friendly faces out there. 👍 :gtpflag:

i find it easier to think that it is yet another bug that came after the last update
Game isnt showing SR down
i noticed that during the qualifications in the second round of the Manufacturer the SR-up (and probably the down ones) notifications at the passage of the sectors were displayed, unlike the race.
I wonder if that is deliberate, makes it tougher to play the system if you don't know what it is. The penalty system seems pretty decent at the moment.
i find it easier to think that it is yet another bug that came after the last update.😌

You have no idea how reassuring it is to see someone much better than me do that. There is no more humiliating feeling in this game than the post-pit lane reset.
The reset happened so quickly though, I think this is what happens if you enter the pit backwards or something? Idk, but it was funny nonetheless. :P (A lot funnier than having some asshole ramming you in the pit or against the pit wall)

Last edited:
This is an SR 99 race.

Funnily enough, I've got a current CRB streak of 12 going for this race. Only other time I've ever had a streak this long was in a Spa Gr.4 race where it starts you too far apart to even get close enough to bang doors...

I've been ground into walls, punted forward into other cars, accidentally hip-checked other cars trying to avoid other wrecks, and not once did I get anything less than a CRB.

The last time I did it was in a daily at Catalunya. I hit the wall on entry because my tyres were so shot it wouldn’t turn. I subsequently found walls/run offs 3 times in the extra lap on softs because they were so bad. I think I went from p6 to DFL behind everyone who had already pitted in about 4 corners.

Last edited:
It happened to me a long time ago at Mt Panorama. The pit entry is weird, and I screwed it up by going too fast.
Tires weren't as much of a concern as fuel was. I ran out of gas shortly after I got reset, and had to do nearly a full lap at 30 mph. 🤣
This is precisely the reason I only ever pit with 1.1 laps or more remaining at tracks with super tricky entries (like Mount Panorama!).

Here's my issue with starting on softs, you just get bottled up (if trying not to shove-pass) and those around you on mediums can keep close then when we switch rubber they are on the faster tyre in cleaner air. The (second) yellow GTR murdered my race, well I guess after I ran wide and copped a penalty so my fault i suppose. I desperately tried not to hit him but man, braking points are so much deeper on the softs.

I am actually racing Peluwa and Mattman who are fair drivers, Peluwa quite fast, I just cannot gap them with the traffic and they inevitably get me when I move to the slower rubber.

The pass by the Honda on the last corner of the 2nd last lap is what is driving me nuts, he doesn't make the corner if i am not there, it's shove-passing and is not penalised.

Last edited:
Are there any non 99SR lobbies at the moment?
Amazingly yes.

Funnily enough, I've got a current CRB streak of 12 going for this race. Only other time I've ever had a streak this long was in a Spa Gr.4 race where it starts you too far apart to even get close enough to bang doors...

I've been ground into walls, punted forward into other cars, accidentally hip-checked other cars trying to avoid other wrecks, and not once did I get anything less than a CRB.

Yeah I just got a clean race bonus for the below race despite the pretty big hit I put on the person in front of me. Also the big one was pretty hilarious.

Race C is actually the perfect race for this week had it not been for the incidents I've seen in the last two races. Non-existent track and collision limits, A+/A/B drivers scramble and possibly more. The video below kinda explains the whole situation.

(Excuse me for the editing, just trying out new methods.)
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210714125517 copy.png

Yup. It's been a battle zone all night. The cleanest race I had was the one where I was in the below 90 SR group because only 2 of us could hold pace. It was good seeing you out there. That one driver (uu know who) was a terror all night. I did win a couple but they were getting messy. It is a really fun race to be in except for when the bumping goes full demolition derby. If I could race with that confidence and control more often I think I'd be doing better.

Always good seeing friendly faces out there. 👍 :gtpflag:
Those 80-89 SR lobbies have always been the most worry-free for me... as you said, they usually consist of only 2 or 3 drivers that can actually maintain the pace at the front, and in many cases anyone else is trying to protect their SR from spiraling down from this penalty room, so I've found a lot of success when I'm 'stuck' in one of these "SR Rehabilitation Series" events.

I've also proffered before that it would almost be easier to ratchet up your DR by purposely gaming the SR system to race in these lobbies... while wins pay less, the likelihood of losing DR is much lower, and grabbing 500 or 600 DR at a time without the in-between DR losses in proper 99 SR lobbies, it's easier to ratchet your rating up. But I'm not one to game it, and would rather race straight.

Last edited:
Those 80-89 SR lobbies have always been the most worry-free for me... as you said, they usually consist of only 2 or 3 drivers that can actually maintain the pace at the front, and in many cases anyone else is trying to protect their SR from spiraling down from this penalty room, so I've found a lot of success when I'm 'stuck' in one of these "SR Rehabilitation Series" events.

I've also proffered before that it would almost be easier to ratchet up your DR by purposely gaming the SR system to race in these lobbies... while wins pay less, the likelihood of losing DR is much lower, and grabbing 500 or 600 DR at a time without the in-between DR losses in proper 99 SR lobbies, it's easier to ratchet your rating up. But I'm not one to game it, and would rather race straight.
Funny you mention this, I thought I was the only one...I'd never intentionally lower my SR, but once in a while I find myself in one of these rooms and it's always a sigh of relief since I know it won't be a full on battle. After a night of hard fought racing, its nice to get a race "off" every once in a while.

Back