"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
I'm seeing the opposite. When penalties were really harsh my SR bounced around and I would score a lot of cheap wins. Since the change to wild west rules 3 to 4 months ago I am exclusively racing A and A+ drivers and I absolutely CANNAOT win on merit, I just can't. Podium at absolute best. It is close racing, really competitive mid field battles but I simply don't have the pace to qualy high and battle up front.

Next week's dailies:

Race A: N200 @ Tokyo Central Outer Loop | 5 laps | SH
🤔

images

I miss all of the last week races as I was AFC. This was the longest break of GTS for like 2 years.

Come back this week to Race C and from the back. RedBull Ring with heavy downforce cars after two F1 weekend there is just perfect. The track is not hard to learn but man do you need to be on the edge to get a fast time.

Racing during the day was good, most of the race I could get around 8 from the 3-4 last position. Even got a win after dropping to SR 88, thank you PD and your weird system.

But I tried a couple of race during the evening and let's say it is not the same crowd I'm used to. Half the grid is A+ and the other half is within tenths of each others.
First lap, first corner, the car in front brake way too early. I jump on the brake but have to go inside for the turn. Manage to left space at the exit and we barely touch. Side by side, I have a better momentum and before I clear the car he pit maneuver me. Now 15 sec behind the pack.

And that is the evening crowd. Race 1, lap 1, turn 1 car 1 .....race destroyed 🤬

51314947190_746e84d8fc_w.jpg
51313202467_8a88c86461_w.jpg

Next week's dailies:

Race A: N200 @ Tokyo Central Outer Loop | 5 laps | SH
Race B: Gr.3 @ Interlagos | 5 laps | RM
Race C: Gr.X @ Circuit de la Sarthe | 5 laps | RM | Tyres x5 | Fuel x1

🍋
I don't feel bad for letting my PS+ expire. None of this tripe interests me.

I took the advice of @manion and made my breaking point earlier in the final turns, and that helped a bunch. Much appreciated advice, and to everyone who has given me advice in the past a huge thanks. I also went into that final section in 5th gear and dropping to 3rd instead of being in 6th and dropping to 4th, and that got me the rotation to stay to the apex, mostly. I still had a few off-track penalties, but I was satisfied with the results.

Another 2 races this evening and I got to race with @BigSarj again in the first one. I start P4 and manage to not go off track at any point. I just miss some breaking points and some off-track penalties drop me to P6 in the end. Clean racing from what I can tell from running up front. Nohting exciting as compaired to my previous races this week.

Race 2 I start P6 and go way wide coming out of turn 3 and drop to P10. I keep my cool and just do my thing and everybody else is making mistakes and I take advantage. Lap 8 sees a driver attempting, I’m assuming, the “send of the century” going into turn 3 from P8 and thankfully they miss as seen below.

Some more clean racing and I finish P4. It’s amazing when everyone is clean and courteous when passing and giving room in corners. I’m overall satisfied with all my races this week, even the ones where I came from the back

This will also probably be the end of my racing week as I’m going to another baseball game Friday and it will be home from work and straight to the ballpark. I might jump on Saturday if I get some time. I’m looking forward to the next time this combo rolls around. Nothing next week interests me too much. Hot lapping Interlagos might be good for me to learn it better, but I don’t trust others in a 5-lap sprint.

Yup. It's been a battle zone all night. The cleanest race I had was the one where I was in the below 90 SR group because only 2 of us could hold pace. It was good seeing you out there. That one driver (uu know who) was a terror all night. I did win a couple but they were getting messy. It is a really fun race to be in except for when the bumping goes full demolition derby. If I could race with that confidence and control more often I think I'd be doing better.

Always good seeing friendly faces out there. 👍 :gtpflag:
Yeah I think I've put that guy in the fence three times now. I don't think he gets what driving cleanly actually is

Done for the week and it has been good to me, gained 4k DR and at 36k I am near my all time peak of 38k but without the aid of huge SR drops giving me easy wins. It does feel good to genuinely race in Rooms half full of A+ guys and the rest A drivers and me wearing bib 18 to 20. In saying that, best result all week was 4th, mostly finish around 10th. Its tight stuff no doubt but not even a sniff of a podium.

I think I know what is happening on exit of turn 3, my mid corner speed is too low so the revs drop too much, as a result on the throttle I get huge turbo lag and then the tc cuts in to tame it, robbing me of speed. Will note for next time.

Last edited:
Done for the week and it has been good to me, gained 4k DR and at 36k I am near my all time peak of 38k but without the aid of huge SR drops giving me easy wins. It does feel good to genuinely race in Rooms half full of A+ guys and the rest A drivers and me wearing big 18 to 20. In saying that, best result all week was 4th, mostly finish around 10th. Its tight stuff no doubt but not even a sniff of a podium.

I think I know what is happening on exit of turn 3, my mid corner speed is too low so the revs drop too much, as a result on the throttle I get huge turbo boost and then the tc cuts in to tame it, robbing me of speed. Will note for next time.
Turbo lag + TCS = slow out of there. I find Group 2 is where TCS is a really noticeable disadvantage in pace. (cue Groundfish patiently explaining why I'm wrong :))

For turbo lag, keep the throttle slightly open through the turn. It will minimize how much you bog down on exit.

Turbo lag + TCS = slow out of there. I find Group 2 is where TCS is a really noticeable disadvantage in pace. (cue Groundfish patiently explaining why I'm wrong :))

For turbo lag, keep the throttle slightly open through the turn. It will minimize how much you bog down on exit.

Turn 6, the second left hander - I have been keeping the throttle open there. I have also kept it in 4th gear vs downshifting.

I took the advice of @manion and made my breaking point earlier in the final turns, and that helped a bunch. Much appreciated advice, and to everyone who has given me advice in the past a huge thanks. I also went into that final section in 5th gear and dropping to 3rd instead of being in 6th and dropping to 4th, and that got me the rotation to stay to the apex, mostly. I still had a few off-track penalties, but I was satisfied with the results.

<...snip...>
The penultimate corner is tricky and it is very satisfying when you get it right. 4th gear feels like the right gear for that corner. Nice to see your growing experience and feedback into the forum.

For gear shifting at RBR I notice that the Top 10 drivers are doing the "Gear abuse" thing. Near the apex they do an extra downshift followed by an upshift to get a little extra turn in. I find it works well on T3 (hairpin right) where I momentarily downshift to first though the corner is a natural second gear corner near 100 kph.

Last edited:
Field Report from Race A:

For no particular reason, I'm just going to mention that it is an established custom to take your car away from you when you use walls as steering assist.

Not here, of course. But elsewhere.

Last edited:
I got spun aground maybe three times in that race. But there was good physical racing at the back, at least. And I managed the FL in that time, too.

Two runs at Monza last night on my alt in the Asia/Pacific region.

I posted some lap times in the Bugatti and managed a 1:58 flat, which put me Q13 on the grid. Q1 had a 1:54, so I knew I would be well off the pace here! I spent the race trying to work my way through the field, eventually settling for 8th in the end after some pretty good battles with a Scirocco, TT, and another Veyron.

Then I jumped into the Viper after seeing a post here earlier saying the Viper was good here, and managed to knock over 7 tenths off my Q time. That put me in 2nd place in the next race, where I proceeded to attempt to chase the Veyron on pole and stay ahead of the Scirocco in P3, but P1 was lapping around a second a lap quicker than me. Fortunately, I was about a second a lap quicker than the RCZ that had moved into P3, so I held my position until the end. The finish was nearly a tight one, with me 4.5s behind P1 and P3 4.1s behind me, P1 with a 1s penalty for track limits and me dipping a wheel into the gravel before the back straight. Ended up 1.7s behind P1 and 2.3s ahead of P3.

Only in the world of Polyphony Digital can a Scirocco and RCZ rub shoulders with a Viper and Veyron!

Last edited:
Since he's tardy to the party, I'll say that I've won 3 races with TCS 2 in the B DR rooms. True that I rarely get a top 3 starting spot, but other people are still learning the car w/o TCS & I benefit or people only know how to race full contact.

Since he's tardy to the party, I'll say that I've won 3 races with TCS 2 in the B DR rooms. True that I rarely get a top 3 starting spot, but other people are still learning the car w/o TCS & I benefit or people only know how to race full contact.
I'm in that awkward range where, at RBR anyways, I am beating B drivers so am up against A and A+ guys who fly off turn 3 like they are fired from a canon. I use TC2 and it is definitely faster FOR ME because it gives me confidence to push hard, in qualifying I fiddle with TC like a gear shift. Here's my lap;

T1: TC2, TC0 once off the corner
T3: TC1, TC0 once off the corner
T4: TC2
T5 onwards: Turn it off

In race trim I lose nothing at T1 (assuming I don't get a penalty!), get murdered out of T3 and often lose time through the second left hander exit as I am unable to rotate the car as quickly as those guys without sliding it and I am slightly later on the power.

Last edited:
I'm in that awkward range where, at RBR anyways, I am beating B drivers so am up against A and A+ guys who fly off turn 3 like they are fired from a canon. I use TC2 and it is definitely faster FOR ME because it gives me confidence to push hard, in qualifying I fiddle with TC like a gear shift. Here's my lap;

T1: TC2, TC0 once off the corner
T3: TC1, TC0 once off the corner
T4: TC2
T5 onwards: Turn it off

In race trim I lose nothing at T1 (assuming I don't get a penalty!), get murdered out of T3 and often lose time through the second left hander exit as I am unable to rotate the car as quickly as those guys without sliding it and I am slightly later on the power.
22cae582-dd5d-494b-ac82-240c28c85a09_text.gif

The best thing that I've found to work for me is to understand how the TCS system affects the car. In essence, make the TCS act like a steering or weight bias part of the equation to turn the car. The best example that I can give you is this. At DTS, coming into the snorkel, the car does its normal twitching in the rear under full braking. Most of us can handle our cars so far. But, when you decide to release the brakes & make your turn in, most of us want to get back on the throttle. That corner is very easy to lose the back end under hard acceleration. When I use the TCS at that corner, I know that I will get understeer, so I can compensate. I also know that when the front tires grip, the TCS will allow a small amount of wheelspin which can help rotate the car for max acceleration without smashing the wall. I'm sure this advice is of little use now, seeing that your last 2 Gr. 2 trips to DTS, you're a solid 1.5 seconds faster than me. 🤣

Keep in mind I use AT so "shifting" TC is no issue on a qualy lap.

You're right though, about DTS, through that corner you sort of, how you say, allow the car to shake it's back end to aid turn in then gun the throttle with TC 2 and she will still slip a touch and allow you to get a good exit. TBH I may get it perfect once ever 5 laps or so, often feel like I leave time there.

Only in the world of Polyphony Digital can a Scirocco and RCZ rub shoulders with a Viper and Veyron!
Even in the real world, the 250hp Alpine A110 rubs shoulders with the 570hp McLaren 570S in GT4. The race cars, while quite closely related, aren't exactly the same as the road cars; the Alpine is up at 360hp in GT4 trim, while the 570S is down to 520hp, but the Alpine also has a homologation weight of about 350kg less.

Aside from the whole "front-wheel drive" thing, which would be fine for sprint races anyway (as it is in BTCC), it's just not that kooky to have something like a TT (and the TT RS has 400hp in road trim anyway) competing with a Corvette if both are homologated to the same class, because that's exactly how homologation works.

YEah maybe 15 or so years ago when "GT production" car racing started up in AUstralia after the Touring Cars ventured away from production cars and morphed into V8 Supercars, I distinctly remember watching them race with an F355 Ferrari and a WRX fighting for the win.

Back