"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Hi everyone, especially those who may be a little lobby shy, if you're free this Sat. I will hosting a lobby for a fun, friendly race. All drivers welcome. But set to Friends Only to keep it smooth. :)

Format is 1v1 on DTS in Gr.3 cars. Everyone races everyone once and who ever get the most wins wins. But it's more about fun, action and watching (hopefully others) crash. ;)

Sign-up and more details in the GT League Section.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/seaside-showdown-sat-aug-7.400137/

Are there any of you who race without a radar? It sure is a handy resource.

At the daily races, it's best to assume that the driver behind you will be using a boneheaded fast-in, slow-out technique for the turns.
The radar can help you avoid collisions.

A good example is the hairpin at race A, this week. It's a heavy braking approach. As soon as I begin to decelerate, I monitor the radar to see if there's a blue triangle closing in fast. If so, I hold the brakes a little longer, and, or wait a bit longer than normal to start turning in. Then, I make the turn and go on my way, after the other car goes sliding by.

There seems to be a lot of drivers who are unaware of their surroundings.

A good example is the hairpin at race A, this week. It's a heavy braking approach.
I get scared every time at that corner, since it is a very wide entry. Luckily this week I've been racing clean folks when I'm on. My 1.54.8 quali time also means I can escape the crap pretty quickly and not get stuck mid pack.

Are there any of you who race without a radar? It sure is a handy resource.

At the daily races, it's best to assume that the driver behind you will be using a boneheaded fast-in, slow-out technique for the turns.
The radar can help you avoid collisions.

A good example is the hairpin at race A, this week. It's a heavy braking approach. As soon as I begin to decelerate, I monitor the radar to see if there's a blue triangle closing in fast. If so, I hold the brakes a little longer, and, or wait a bit longer than normal to start turning in. Then, I make the turn and go on my way, after the other car goes sliding by.

There seems to be a lot of drivers who are unaware of their surroundings.
Learning to avoid those dive-bombers, using the radar and the mirrors both, was one of the most important things I learned to do, to finally get into A rankings and stay there. I used to be very susceptible to it, and mistakenly thought that there would always be less of it, which ended up leaving me punted so many times. It's not easy, but it is possible to avoid them, and you can kind of start to sense it when you are racing now, who to watch for.

I've been ruined at that DTG hairpin in Race A at least once this week, by a guy that was so far back that watching the radar wasn't even enough, so it happens regardless, but for sure you have to add this skill to your toolbox in order to finish higher more often.

I'll often put it on as the main HUD partly because it simplifies the screen and lets me focus more! Even if I don't need to 'check my six' al race'.

(Edit: noted: 1000th post here! What?!? Been fun getting to know you all :gtpflag:)

Last edited:
My 1.54.8 quali time also means I can escape the crap pretty quickly and not get stuck mid pack.
Oh. I haven't entered the race with a Q time yet.
Starting at the back, you end up getting caught in the middle of this -->

Fast And Furious Bad Driver GIF by The Fast Saga

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I get scared every time at that corner, since it is a very wide entry. Luckily this week I've been racing clean folks when I'm on. My 1.54.8 quali time also means I can escape the crap pretty quickly and not get stuck mid pack.
I've found it much better to stay inside and be slow on the apex, as people will not get ideal exits, avoiding the bombers, and if you do get hit, you won't be punted to the outside of the track. (on this first lap)

I just don't get the rush to pass. So much impatience. Slows everyone down.
Lap 8, had a VW straight up block me, headed to the final chicane. Its tyres are shot. I'm braking, as it chose the outside line. I wasn't going to dive up the inside for a pass. Changes it's line right into my braking. I swerve left to avoid and he moves left! The car behind tags me by accident I go onto the grass.

As we are in the last lap. The VW doesn't cause a drama for the other cars to pass through the esses. Post race, I type why block on worn tyres?
Next race, same player is in the Slophy. I type, "No FFs. TY, Jesus".

As for radar, I don't use it. My tv is 36" and I have to take my eyes away to look. That's why I use the look behind. I find the radar a bit distracting with the speed in which the cars enter the radar. Proximity warning gives me enough info. That's just me.

My main use for the radar is for side by side driving. I drive bumper cam, so the mirror does the job for divebombers.

@BaRRa, @KosmoKazi, @sturk0167, @O604 , @05XR8,

Nice points on the radar and dive bombers.

I use hoodcam. It has no mirror so I rely on +/- and radar. The radar not center to my field-of-view so I explicitly need to check it. I have never used the look-back <sublim> I would rather not know what goes on back there. </sublim> though in the absence of mirrors I need to learn.

Managing the dive bombers is hard. After a race I review the replay to see who the bombers are so I can be aware. Even then I find it hard to execute.

This week I have made a return to Group 3 at St Croix B and have done 5 races on the alt. The first races had mistakesbut have been solid after that with one podium.

My QT is at 2:07.7 and I do not expect to get better. The competition is high quality and mostly clean with a few aggressive/dirty/diver types.

Last edited:
Matchmaking seems off this week. I have been put in races full of A and A+ all week.

The race I did just now had two A+ and A starting behind me. It's nerve wracking because the chances of them passing cleanly are very low. And I wasn't wrong. Like, it's lap 1 and you gotta barge past me on the esses? Okay then.

The A guy was very respectful, though. Shout out to him. I think I learned from staying in his slipstream until I wasn't.

Always use the radar if you use the chase cam/3rd person view. I use a DS4 so the chase cam is the one to use in that case, I'm also pretty good with the hood cam but I have better track of other cars in the chase cam and lose less concentration as well.

For race 1 and 2 (Silvia S13 on Dragon Trail and Gr.3 in Sainte Croix) I tried just doing the races without setting a time and thinking that I could overtake half the field with ease and get a top 5-8 finish... Nope... The guys on the back are not only bad, but they are dirty as well, sometimes they don't even hide how dirty they are, like on a straight you go side by side with them and they literally just turn against you to push you into the barrier or the grass/gravel... And forget about leaving the inside of a corner open, because even if I'm clearly in front of them right before the corner (half a second or more) and brake on the limit of the braking zone, they will still try to outbrake you and use your car as a cushion to stop and make the corner, and usually, they never get the penalty and this is SR = S rating drivers...
It's just miserable racing at the back with how badly the penalty system is in GT Sport.

So yeah I put in qualifying laps and if I'm outside the top 5-8 (depending on the number of cars, can go from 10-16 on the first 2 races) I'll try to get better until I qualify in those positions, because I've been doing that so far and the racers at those positions are much less dirty.
On race 2 I've done a 2:07.8xx and I know I can be at least half a second quicker since I was -4 tenths up on a qualifying lap while doing 2 considerable mistakes, and that lap ended because the timer to start the race had ended, so I know I can do a lot better than this, maybe a very low 2:07 or a very high 2:06 (number 1 guy is 2:05.3xx) which by the time I do those times I give up and just try to race regardless of the grid start position I get, but usually when I try my hardest in qualifying and get to the point I can't improve, I'm always inside the top 4, so I'm probably getting way too lucky with either the matchmaking or the majority of better players not being online, or maybe I'm just on a lower rank than I should be.

Last edited:
1 Race A today. Started/finished 2nd.

Was in the lead for most of the race, then near the end get barge passed, the other car gets a pen, gets pissed and rams me off the road. Post race message is full of everyone pissed at the one driver. Otherwise a good race.

Suzuka is really a fun race. Once I got my QT down to starting near the front, it's been a real blast and realistic racing for the most part. High tire wear makes for those kinds of races, IMO.

Word to the wise, my one experience with racing against a VW... don't try it! The only one I've come up on made an absolute mess of the top 10...

Did manage one podium in a top split, which might be the only one I earn, but I'm satisfied with that, if so. Kind of fun to see nearly a whole field full of the default livery Renault Sport Mégane Trophy, dicing it up like a spec race, too!

IMG_6325.JPG

Last edited:
Only one race for me tonight for my sanity and that’s all I had time for. I start P13 and the first lap is some of the usual pushing and shoving. I get inside a driver in the hairpin and kind of shove them aside. Not on purpose as I had nowhere to go with everyone bunched up there. I also find myself in the inside of a different driver heading into R130. I leave as much room as I can, and they run wide as there is someone on my rear bumper so I couldn’t really back out of the turn without taking them out. They rejoined no problem.

I get to P9 and I think I see the group ahead (P5-P7) get sideways in Degner and I get too excited and completely botch both turns. Turns out they were just kicking up dust upon watching the replay. I drop to P12. A combination of 2 Sciroccos pitting (one makes it, one misses and resets) and a fellow Slophy pitting, and I get back to P9. The Scirocco that made the pit successfully catches up and I let them go. No use in fighting a fresh tire FF car. P11 gets close but their tires are shot, and I pull away to finish P10.

I’ll probably only do 1 more race as this is a bit more boring than I anticipated. I guess I prefer the races with the mandatory stop, it feels more strategic to me. Like if I can get a great undercut and get a bunch of positions or when others who started on the harder tire compound are slower and I can catch up on the softer tire. It could also be the combo this week too. I like the track, but I just think a 2 tire compound race would have been more interesting.

Yep. End of the week and it's finally become the One make I knew it would. I'll be joining the One Make this weekend.
Had my fun in the Cayman and Viper. Look forward to steering those two in future Gr.4 races. Lovely cars.
I've had some success in the Viper in the past, I like driving it a bunch when I can. The Jaguar is also a decent car to run in for me at least. I haven't tried the Cayman but I'm willing to give it a shot in the future.

Been hanging out at "C" this week on my days off. Love this combo, love the tire multipliers. The slophy wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell here if it was a daily "B". Been on my B/S euro alt all week, so the quality of the racing has largely been dependent on where I qualify. Still amazed on how many people are 2-stopping this race...even in the B's.

Even though the Slophy is the race meta, I've been in my trusty 458 all week. Doesn't have the tire wear of the Megane, but as long as I take conservative braking points and don't go for a fast lap every time I circulate..... it has no problem getting to the finish intact. I murder the Trophy's in the straights. But if I'm going for a pass while in the tow, my success is directly related to how clean the driver is ahead of me. I'd say my success rate is probably 60-30 with 60% of the time me getting blocked or taken out in the next corner lol! One spot that the Ferrari absolutely shines is out of the exit of hairpin. It rotates enough to get under the FF's yet has enough grunt to leave the Slophy's in the dust.

Would have this act up to an A already if it wasn't for my piss-poor race craft. STIIIIIIIIIIL making stupid mistakes with overtakes and braking points when my tires wear or in dirty air. I've rage-quitted just as many races as I've finished.

Last race about 2 hours ago, I had my first genuine experience with one of those last to first alpha male youtube's. I started in 3rd, got up to 1st pretty quickly and checked out.... kinda just circulating and driving very conservative. By lap 5 I noticed there was a German 10 seconds back and closing fast. He was gaining on me a minimum of a second a lap. I ended up barely keeping him in my rear view mirror only .5 seconds off me. Dude was crazy fast. He was also in the slophy. He was also clearly on his alt with a D/S rating!!

I haven't ran the slophy yet this week, but I wonder how good it is here with the multipliers set where they are. Whats it like in the top splits? Any variation in car choices?

I think C is a very good race this week, with the only improvement maybe being a second tire option but no mandatory stop. Would have made the 1-stop more viable. Also liking the race length too. Finally a daily "C" that goes 20+ minutes!!!

Hmm. maybe testing out the servers for GT7? ;)

Hey, I've been suggesting different classes of racing. We have FFs in Face A. Sometimes through all Race A-C. Just had a mainly MR/RWD race in RC. Next week look like AWD for the win. :)

Last edited:
I've had some great Race Cs this week - generally starting mid pack to the rear now in the GT86 and just trying to be really careful with the tyres - usually finishing in the top 6 after being able to ease past folk sliding wide and crawling around corners. Would have won one - had a three second lead half way round the last lap - nailed Degner 1 then braked too late for Degner 2 due to the extra speed. :-(

I use the motion control and usually wreck my tyres but have tried really hard to listen to them and reduce the amount of steering angle.

Back