"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments

Attachments

• 1626976815112.jpeg
    1626976815112.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 14
Went out for a couple of cruise race Cs last night.

That was the plan anyway. The first race was actually pretty good. A bit of back and forth. But there was some contact as the other driver decided to door slam the mess out of me anytime I got alongside? Anyway, because they were a low B ranked player it was all my faul and I ended up losing 28 SR and joining the nastier lobbies.

My lord is it hard to build up SR now. I had 1 race with only 2 different 0.5 track cut penalties and the usual problem where turn 1 lap 1 a Maldonado wannabe rear ends me going in waaaaay too hot. Lost 3 SR. Entire rest of the race was clean. Bring back the SR arrows, we are flying blind here as nothing seems to make sense.
Eventually managed to recover some SR, but it is so hard when I'm starting to notice a very high proportion of players from a certain country seem to have taken the penalty system removal as a nod that it is ok to start in with full contact racing. I'm not sure if it is just bad luck with matchmaking or what, but all except for 2 naughty drivers this week have been from the same country, and all are not driving in the traditional dirty manner. Not outright punting, but slamming you off line and rubbing you wide or into walls.
Now to try to fix my SR tonight and just do some hot lapping. Feeling fed up for the week when I'm getting blamed for any and all contact some idiot tries to pull because they dont like getting passed.

And can PD get rid of the low DR armor? By not punishing these clowns with the same loss of SR all it does is teach them much worse racecraft and then they cant figure out why people are sick of them or wanting to wreck them. I'm certainly debating taking action first tonight since if I'm already going to get punished for contact I might as well make it the one contact and end the problem there.

Just seen the discussion on brake bias, I qualified with +4 then used 0 for the race. If you're careful with the accelerator and short shift out the slower corners tyre wear is not a problem.

This is the qualifying lap, I saw it was a decent lap so choked the chicane with the pressure. Cocked up trimming the video too 🤷‍♂️

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Up half a second down conrod, get the chase right, one corner left annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd i clip the kerb and lose 6 tenths dammit.

Just seen the discussion on brake bias, I qualified with +4 then used 0 for the race. If you're careful with the accelerator and short shift out the slower corners tyre wear is not a problem.

This is the qualifying lap, I saw it was a decent lap so choked the chicane with the pressure. Cocked up trimming the video too 🤷‍♂️

I binned it on the last curb on the last chicane with my own best lap in hand... or I'd have about another 0.5s better QT... so I can totally appreciate the logic in treading carefully through it, when you've got time in hand.

I was pleased to get into the 3:18s and maybe have a chance at a 3:17... don't know where I'd find nearly 5s though, compared to you top 10 guys. Unreal.
It's the delta time at fault, you can't help but look at it whenever it goes blue.
True... but I can't even claim it was that on this run, as it was my first and only QT lap between races, but I knew from the segment differentials that I was on a banger... same psychology for sure.

Last edited:
I binned it on the last curb on the last chicane with my own best lap in hand... or I'd have about another 0.5s better QT... so I can totally appreciate the logic in treading carefully through it, when you've got time in hand.

I was pleased to get into the 3:18s and maybe have a chance at a 3:17... don't know where I'd find nearly 5s though, compared to you top 10 guys. Unreal.

True... but I can't even claim it was that on this run, as it was my first and only QT lap between races, but I knew from the segment differentials that I was on a banger... same psychology for sure.
I hate to break it to you but that lap is nowhere near the top 10 🤣. It's the first part of the chicane, when you have no pressure on you can take it ridiculously fast but still need to stop for the second, it feels like you always take it too easy and lose time or too hard and get the lap deleted.

I hate to break it to you but that lap is nowhere near the top 10 🤣. It's the first part of the chicane, when you have no pressure on you can take it ridiculously fast but still need to stop for the second, it feels like you always take it too easy and lose time or too hard and get the lap deleted.
It would be here in the Americas! And I agree... it's amazing that you almost CAN'T take that first chicane (penultimate one) too fast, but then it's a wild ride into the last one and SO easy to miss the exit, either too much of the curb or going wide. I'm in awe of the guys who are laying on the power so smoothly and carrying the perfect amount of speed in 3rd gear on the replays. (without seat-of-the-pants feel, so hard to brake to that perfect min corner speed)

I'm enjoying the fun and challenge of Daily Race C at Lemans more than any other Daily I've raced... what a thrill to race in that car on that track. It's a challenge just in terms of managing the car and pace, but then add in some clean racing opportunities from time to time and it's other-level goodness compared to the usual in Dailies. Just earning a top 10 in the top split in NA/SA is rewarding. Takes race craft, patience, concentration, and every tenth matters for the whole race. It's insane to think that this is the same speed and pace that the real LMP1 guys are running at Lemans... I don't know how they do it with mixed classes in the way and the real consequences of mistakes. My palms are sweating after 20 minutes of it in my living room.

For the most part, just keeping clean the whole race was worth 3-5 positions each race so far, without engaging anyone to pass on pace. Managing my tires to have good exits the last lap and a half while others were spinning behind me after gaining on me was worth one alone, in most races.

But when you do end up racing, you really have to think your way through it and then work like H@#$ to protect your position if you get around. It's genuine racing, compared to most GTS Dailies. I shared a replay on my GTS Community feed, where four of us were fighting for 6th-10th and things got a bit wild on the last lap, but ultimately I was able to keep 7th after making a move earlier on the last lap.

Really unexpected fun, as I was only dabbling in it to see if I could even sniff my K' target time (still a second off with what I think is a competitive 3:18... what a challenge in itself). Hope to get a few more in.

Not sure I understand how the brake balance affects driving flat out?!? I'm not touching the brakes at all through Porsche, at most a confidence tap to turn in the right hander at the end / Ford chicane section starts. (Maison Blanche)

BB settings affect the way the car turns even when you’re not braking.

It doesn’t make any sense, but it’s how it seems to work in this game.

At your pace, you will finish above mid pack. There's a LOT of squabbling from say P7 to P13, if you clear that you will be faster than them....IF you clear it. I have no idea how you guys go faster in the stang than the Aston or Merc at about any track. As in, either the merc or aston, depending on the track, will be faster than the stang every time.
I’m goin in country now.
I shared a Stang lap for ya.
For me on Mustang it is sooo predictable, and I like how the tcs/diff operate in it.
I’ll try the Aston and Merc in between entries and compare results too.
I notice C is the Red Bull but not junior😮

I have no idea how you guys go faster in the stang than the Aston or Merc at about any track. As in, either the merc or aston, depending on the track, will be faster than the stang every time.
Different cars with different drivers equals different results. For me, under normal circumstances, the Viper is faster than the 'Stang. But after one of the updates earlier in the year, I think they tweaked the Mustang's handling. The 'Stang handled better at DTS II a few months ago. I tried the Viper (& 'Vette), but kept finding the wall through the CoI. But for every busted attempt in the Mustang, I had 5 good races where I didn't smack the wall.
The fact that your a D pad user and A level ranked, is nothing short of amazing! I think we should start a go fund me acct so you can get a wheel
It might ruin his game. :lol:
I think for it to work for me I will need a proper set up with great pedals etc.
Looks at wheel rig Looks at price paid

giphy.gif

I'm with you. I've purchased two wheels. One got sold, and the other got stuffed in my closet. :lol:

View attachment 1069083 View attachment 1069085
I think for it to work for me I will need a proper set up with great pedals etc.
Been racing with a wheel for about 4 months (prior D pad user). I can say now, that I'm racing slightly quicker than on the old D pad. I think it's been worth it though. It was really disappointing at first. I was sooo slow!

Can we talk about track limits? I thought I understood them, but it's clear from this lap that I don't.

The first chicane, whenever I get wheels off the tarmac, BANG! 0.5 seconds. You do it twice. How? This is the place where I am losing stacks of time.

Second chicane on Hunadieres, I thought the limit on exit was the white line. You're almost off the kerb. Is there a magical line here or something?

Places some people forget how to drive or drive like complete asshats.

1. Airports
2. Shopping Malls/Parking Lots
3. Traffic
4. Gran Turismo Sport Daily "A" races

Guess I'm taking another hiatus from online racing
Please refrain from insulting asshats like this, thank you.

Can we talk about track limits? I thought I understood them, but it's clear from this lap that I don't.

The first chicane, whenever I get wheels off the tarmac, BANG! 0.5 seconds. You do it twice. How? This is the place where I am losing stacks of time.

Second chicane on Hunadieres, I thought the limit on exit was the white line. You're almost off the kerb. Is there a magical line here or something?
My guess is it's the way you cut the corner probably with a shallower angle than in the video because he comes across the kerb later it doesn't trigger the track limit on the first part of the chicane, the second part has for a long time been a lot more lenient.

As for the second chicane you can basically take most of the kerb at every part of that chicane in my experience

We've had a lot of confusion over the track limits here, but part of them is that inputs count on some of the track limits as to where they trigger.
The first chicane, on entry right sides need to be touching at least mid to outside of the curb and no control input whatsoever. I do think angle of attack is counted here as well, but never figured it out. Then on the exit part you can have lefts fully onto the curb, but again, with zero input at all for the time they are on there.
Second chicane on the Mulsanne when you are exiting the white line is the line for mid-car (I think) until near where the curbing starts. Then it seems to be rights just inside the curb.

As always, these are applied in various ways at various times and randomly just because.

And screw the final Ford chicane. I've been over 0.5 down on my lap and lost it all there so many times.

Last edited:
My guess is it's the way you cut the corner probably with a shallower angle than in the video because he comes across the kerb later it doesn't trigger the track limit on the first part of the chicane, the second part has for a long time been a lot more lenient.

As for the second chicane you can basically take most of the kerb at every part of that chicane in my experience

We've had a lot of confusion over the track limits here, but part of them is that inputs count on some of the track limits as to where they trigger.
The first chicane, on entry right sides need to be touching at least mid to outside of the curb and no control input whatsoever. I do think angle of attack is counted here as well, but never figured it out. Then on the exit part you can have lefts fully onto the curb, but again, with zero input at all for the time they are on there.
Second chicane on the Mulsanne when you are exiting the white line is the line for mid-car (I think) until near where the curbing starts. Then it seems to be rights just inside the curb.

As always, these are applied in various ways at various times and randomly just because.

And screw the final Ford chicane. I've been over 0.5 down on my lap and lost it all there so many times.

Thank you both. This gives me something to work on.

If I can work these out then I think I can get my time into the 16s. Theoretically a 15.x would be possible, but like everyone else, I inevitably screw up one sector because I'm excited to see all the blue numbers.

Raced the stang all night, it felt quite good tbh, got it down to a 31.2 in qualy. Its funny cos truth be told, I have more fun after a few nudges and my sr drops, at sr99 I was paired with guys running mid 29s .....like MAN.

Done for the week, gained 800dr, ill take that with bathurst coming next week.

Thank you both. This gives me something to work on.

If I can work these out then I think I can get my time into the 16s. Theoretically a 15.x would be possible, but like everyone else, I inevitably screw up one sector because I'm excited to see all the blue numbers.
3:17.1xx with an optimal of 3:16.1 after about a 5 laps testing the limiits. The 16 is on, I can taste it.

In general the track limit seems to be the edge of the curb rather than the white line (on all circuits). The Dunlop Chicane is the only one where the penalties look random, in the race I give it more space but for qualifying you may as well take the risk, it's a quick restart.

It's simple. If you so much as look at a white line you get a penalty. Your opponent is allowed to cut to merry abandon and get away scott free.
Please refrain from insulting asshats like this, thank you.
I wouldn't worry. If they cared 1 jot they wouldn't be asshats.

I didn't have the patience for any racing last night so did some practice laps at Interlagos. Decided to try the Mustang as I'd just finished a bunch of Gr.3 (and Gr.4) liveries on the Stang and heard good things about it's performance here, so it would be worth a try.

I had previously run a 1:31:850 in the Genesis and a 1:31.785 in the RCZ. After 11 laps in the Mustang I'd managed a 1:31:786 (so close to that RCZ time!) but none of my fastest sectors were on my fastest lap! Optimal was a 1:31:3XX. I found that using TCS = 0 and BB = -2 was my best setup.

Verdict: I could happily run the Mustang here.

Last edited:
Back