"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
I used to not like it very much either but that last time it was in Race C with Group 3, it was the most fun I've had playing this game. I'm not a fan of Group 4 and I prefer pit strategies being a thing but I'm gonna at least do some qualifying in different cars and see how it feels. I urge you to do the same. You never know.

I also didn't want to have anything to do with Group 3 at St Croix the other week and that was the second most fun week of racing I've had in this game.
I'll probably just do hot laps then but not enter any races and learn the track as best I can. I've said it many times before, but I don't want to be someone who ruins a race for someone else because I have no idea how to drive the track properly. If I don't feel confident on the track during practice, I won't do that race.

NGP? brake late, square off corner, exit early, early, early, hit apex, do it all again and again. There's a squiggly but in the middle and you need to throw it over the final chicane.

Done.

I'll probably just do hot laps then but not enter any races and learn the track as best I can. I've said it many times before, but I don't want to be someone who ruins a race for someone else because I have no idea how to drive the track properly. If I don't feel confident on the track during practice, I won't do that race.
Don`t be a scared How will you know if you don`t get in and have a go?! This is a game that,on line, repeats many times so everyone gets a fair go occasionally. I play hard and have a wall with lipstick user names all over it and hope I`m on others.

Have a nice day race hard and be nice
Dave

Nah I have no issue with it, it's his lobby, he can ask that you drive left handed for all i care. If you don't like it, go to another lobby, this is why we have lobbies.

Lobby.
Absolutely, it's totally up to the lobby owner. I am simply stating that I don't understand why.
It's kind of like telling people that you look down upon them if they are not at your level, or if they want to do things different than you do.

Seeing at the subject has come up again and I'm not good enough to do laps and say which way is faster (I feel a good lap without is faster, but time wise I never have that much difference) I tried testing in a drag situation. I tried the GR2 lexus and the 787B using tc1 to start going to 0 against TC2 all the way. GR2 to 180 and GR1 to 225. Did each test 3 times and although no real difference if anything TC won this test.
Now I know that doesn't actually help either case, but until someone really good can do an accurate test I don't see how we can know if TC on or off is better and even if it is by how much. Therefore everyone should just do what they feel best with.

Literally threw my game and case in the trash. First time ever throwing away a GT game. Booted up to do the Race C. First race was fine. I started no Qualy in 17/17, to see how everyone are racing. A and B room. Not too much mayhem. Forgot to switch to manual before entering. The Auto gearing was killing my flow.

Do a qualy and all A and I think some A+ players. Started top 10. I was one of two RC Fs and I know there was one NSX. It put me into the Armco at T1.
Anyway, Race started off with a bit of push and shove. Everyone was giving and taking due to the nature of these cars. I pit lap 7/8. Was giving an early stopper some space, as it was struggling a bit. That meant cars behind are catching up. All hell breaks loose when the NSX is riding my left rear bumper for the run to T1. I move right and slow a touch and dude still puts me in the barrier.
I saw red after that. NSX was doing the same to a couple players trying to pass it.
Caught up when it served its penalty. It put another car in the gravel at the final turn and I finished the NSX, by running it wide on corner exit.
Said my piece post race. Deleted my file. Ejected the disc. Placed it in its case and discarded it. Really hope to get back to my solo player life of past GTs.

It's Saturday sigh. It started out sort of decent early morning, it didn't last long. Long story short, I'm D/E now lol. I tried to see if race B was any better, it's just a faster way to get dropped to the bottom. Saturday, the day where people brake where they shouldn't, for no reason. Or hit the wall in front of you then the first thought is to block to get momentum back.

Plus what idiot thought that pit exit on race C was a good idea. It's nothing but a lottery in lap 5,6,7,8. Let's have slow traffic merge into the highest speed, single line corner on the track, brilliant.

Silver lining, ghosting works in SR.E and there's always someone fun to race with, no holds barred lol.

Last edited:
Seeing at the subject has come up again and I'm not good enough to do laps and say which way is faster (I feel a good lap without is faster, but time wise I never have that much difference) I tried testing in a drag situation. I tried the GR2 lexus and the 787B using tc1 to start going to 0 against TC2 all the way. GR2 to 180 and GR1 to 225. Did each test 3 times and although no real difference if anything TC won this test.
Now I know that doesn't actually help either case, but until someone really good can do an accurate test I don't see how we can know if TC on or off is better and even if it is by how much. Therefore everyone should just do what they feel best with.
At first it's slower but in the end it's faster. That is if you are on a wheel, or if you use the triggers as gas/brake on the controller. I don't think it's faster if you use a less.modular way of giving gas and using brake.

<...snip..> and if the St. Croix configuration backwards is going to be like Race C this week, no thanks.
<...snip..>

I also didn't want to have anything to do with Group 3 at St Croix the other week and that was the second most fun week of racing I've had in this game.
<...snip..>

I think St Croix is going to be good. Or at least I hope. I wonder what the meta is going to be.

Another round of St Croix! IMO all of the St Croix configs have been good. The "B II" Group 3 combo is a fast layout with mostly medium and high speed corners.

And there is something new...

... its a five corner sequence starting at T2, R-R-L-R-R taken in fifth gear... it is just crying for you to take it flat. I need to apply minor lifts but I bet a Supra expert will find their way through flat. I have not seen any other sequence quite like this one in the game.

For those of you who dabble with or rely on TCS=2 in Group 3, me included, this is a chance to try TCS=0. The fast speeds mean you never really need to use second gear as the slowest corner is between 110 and 120 kph. It will force you to use throttle control but it is more manageable in the higher gears. I have successfully tried several cars at TCS=0. The only squirrely one is the Nissan GTR, which also happens to be 1 second faster than the rest for me.

Last edited:
Another round of St Croix! IMO all of the St Croix configs have been good. The "B II" Group 3 combo is a fast layout with mostly medium and high speed corners.

... its a five corner sequence starting at T2, R-R-L-R-R taken in fifth gear... it is just crying for you to take it flat. I need to apply minor lifts but I bet a Supra expert will find their way through flat. I have not seen any other sequence quite like this one in the game.

For those of you who dabble with or rely on TCS=2 in Group 3, me included, this is a chance to try TCS=0. The fast speeds mean you never really need to use second gear as the slowest corner is between 110 and 120 kph. It will force you to use throttle control but it is more manageable in the higher gears. I have successfully tried several cars at TCS=0. The only squirrely one is the Nissan GTR, which also happens to be 1 second faster than the rest for me.
I'm not bad in the Supra and I'm looking forward to it. It would be nice if it was a few more laps, or even a C race. I find 3 laps a bit too small to get a groove.

Not much racing for me today. Decided to work on my Q time and chase my optimum from last session. It's been some work but I'm pretty happy to be top 100 in my region. Hope it sticks.

I was on pace for a 29 but once again got a little to messy in the last sector and lost it.

20211016_201821.jpg

Practice is your friend. This video is from 2 years ago & I was using the DS4 at that time. There are plenty of faster times, but practice. Use different cars if you need to. Remember, confident handling leads to more boldness in the corners. That leads to speed. And I wasn't even comfortable with the Viper back then. :lol:

After watching a few videos of the track in action, it does look like good time actually. I don't know why I thought the track was so narrow. Also, that section of track you mentioned is looking fun to go through at high speed.

Pretty much done for the week. My aims for every week now are:
  • Podium in Race A, Top 5 in Race B, & Top 6 in Race C
  • Hitting kudos targets for each race
  • Finish higher than starting position in every random car
The S660 race is just... decent? I like the car & I like the track, but together... probably not as much. Its exactly the type of combo that rewards carrying as much momentum as you can for as long as possible. The car is so slow you shouldn't really take massive risks, but drivers do it anyway. Saw some very tight racing that looked like it was going to end in heartbreak, which sort of happened. Qualified with a 1:56.202 which was only good enough for a P10 grid slot and by simply staying out trouble, brought it up to P3 after being overtaken on the last corner on the final lap.

Race B was unsurprisingly boring. Its Catalunya with the dumb final chicane - doesn't even have the glory of the Nissan corner. Not really that fun to drive on and the wheel-to-wheel is just "ok". Stopped playing around with random cars and drove the WRX, botched the first attempt at a win and did a handbrake-turn to save the second. So now I have a win in a combo that I don't like all that much, using skills that are not meant to be used in circuit racing.

Bust out Sardegna much earlier in the week so no need to touch it again. It was a good run from P14 to P6 in the Raybrig. My fastest cars in qualifying seemed to be the Epson NSX, SC430, & RC F which makes absolutely no sense to me.

I accidently was on soft at the start of a race, but in 4th so wasn't too worried. Got to the front straight off and won so stuck with it and from 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and another 4th I won 5 of the 6 and was just involved in carnage in the other, think I came DFL maybe 1 guy behind me. The biggest issue I have is not slamming X when I enter the pits, but we have so long now I'm getting into the habit of checking first.

Started the week enjoying how relaxing Race A was, ended it a nervous wreck! I swear I've got slower as it's gone on... Managed a 1:58.4 and that'll do, I can smell more time but can't taste it.

Just way too much time to think about your mistakes and overthink the next section it's sent me slightly mad.

also quite hilarious at 58 mph if you're trying to shove me off onto the grass it's not debatable whether it's a racing incident or loss of control etc. Cheeky bastards.

Great save :)

This is a fast guy (finished 2nd in the end), he's done this track plenty before, he knows sticking a nose in on the straight is attempted murder, still does it. It's so easy to slingshot by and out brake to T2, yet every pass has to disable the opponent...

It's very dirty again this morning, lot of Sunday drivers entering T3 from the middle and braking, screwing up the whole field. It's a mess! Plus I got disconnected in a race full of D/S, ouch lol.

It's very dirty again this morning, lot of Sunday drivers entering T3 from the middle and braking, screwing up the whole field. It's a mess! Plus I got disconnected in a race full of D/S, ouch lol.
Yeah it's fun on a bun out there today. Had one race where I took it from the start and everything else has just been war, still I'm improving my dirty driving if nothing else.

Great save :)

This is a fast guy (finished 2nd in the end), he's done this track plenty before, he knows sticking a nose in on the straight is attempted murder, still does it. It's so easy to slingshot by and out brake to T2, yet every pass has to disable the opponent...

It's honestly like trying to take T1 on the outside, maybe suicide instead of murder, I do wonder what they're thinking as I stick to the racing line pedal to the floor and they disappear off into the ether.

I've come to like this track a lot as a drive, when you nail it you really feel on the edge and if you're an older racer that's a feeling harder and harder to come by so much appreciated.

As a race, however.. I've had 3 or 4 good battles, lots and lots of nonsense.

Haven't do much in the way of dailies this week but took the little S660 scooter out for a few runs randomly. Such an odd little car and combo. I can understand the idea as it prioritizes maintaining speed and momentum over everything, and it still breaks loose at 20mph, but it is just a recipe for mess.
Had some good racing, but the idea of maintaining momentum above all else leads to the car being thrown in to gaps it shouldn't and just causing carnage and running people wide or off track lots. Not sure how I feel about next week but ready for a roll over anyway to have something different to look at.

It's honestly like trying to take T1 on the outside, maybe suicide instead of murder, I do wonder what they're thinking as I stick to the racing line pedal to the floor and they disappear off into the ether.

I've come to like this track a lot as a drive, when you nail it you really feel on the edge and if you're an older racer that's a feeling harder and harder to come by so much appreciated.

As a race, however.. I've had 3 or 4 good battles, lots and lots of nonsense.
Aye, so far I've had one great race with another driver, undercutting, all contact free, very close racing. 95% of it is avoiding missiles ad trying to get in the least damaging position. Often it's all out war. But when you get a clear lap, it feels great to nail all the corners while catching up to the next squabbling group of idiots :)

Plus it can be fun to teach dive bombers a lesson or two :lol:

I've been running a bunch of "A" races, lately. I ran a couple "B" races, but I can't stand that track so I haven't run any more of them. I went back and did some more qualifying laps and got up to 3rd on the starting grid for the last race. AT the 1st corner, 4th decided he wanted my spot and came cutting across the inside (don't know how he didn't get a penalty for that move) and took 3rd. I stayed in 4th, even getting a penalty for running wide coming out of the esses (my fault, I was chasing instead of driving). It was a 1.5 second penalty, but I didn't lose too much ground since those cars are so slow. On the last lap, 3rd (who was REAL glitchy) didn't slow down enough going into the next to last turn and ran a bit too wide. I made the pass, held, and took 3rd place back; which is where I finished. I think that's only like my 4th podium finish.

Also, I got the fastest lap award (1st time, ever). I guess I was in the zone for that last lap, lol. If I'd have had that lap time in qualifying, I'd have started on pole.

I had fun in Race B this week. Drove the Scirocco. I tried several qualifying laps in the WRX and while it did handle the chicane better, I just got better times and more a more consistent feel in the VW. It was a good race, as, unlike many races we have, turn 1 was not so much of a dive bomb hazard. The conditions for dive bombing just did not seem to be as bad because turn 1, 2 and 3 are high speed corners and by the time you got to turn 4 there seemed to be a bit of spread between the cars. And, where there was not, people seemed to be cooperative going through the corners. There were some exceptions obviously, but I am surprised the race did not get more attention here. I like the track except the chicane is dumb.

Last edited:
Took out the cars for race A. The '72 Alpine A110.

That is a wild combo, a test of control, patience and skill. Very stressful and very fun nonetheless. Any tips I can provide would be to definitely use TCS on the start. Keep it in 4th for Graham Hill if you can to keep it stable. And never go no throttle. Keeping some throttle on at all times seems to be the only thing that keeps this car stable. I might let it have a tenth of a second or 2 off throttle for the turn in at druids but otherwise I've got it at 30pct or more the whole time.

Definitely a wild and wooly combo that requires some practice laps before the race.

Back