Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Thread starter Lain
  • 67 comments
been trying to play this for a few days. I got it for the PC and i keep having problems with the game freezing on me. I am playing on my laptop, ASUS G73JH, and even when turning down the graphics and resolution, i keep having freezing problems.

Its an i7 intel core, ati HD5870 graphics with 6gig ram. Besides the freezing it's an interesting game so far. Would really like to see it all the way through. :)👍

Make sure you have the most recent drivers. I also read there are some bugs related to nVidia hardware, and they're working on a patch for it. 👍

GOTY material IMO. :)

We'll have to see what Bethesda deliver with Skyrim. However I'm inclined to agree that Deus Ex HR deserves this type of recognition. They have really done something special here. They totally managed to essentially take the original game (and probably the most brilliant game in existance) update the graphics and and give it entirely new and fantastic story. This is exactly everything a sequel (prequel) should be.

It really doesn't matter, the whole story takes place before the other two. 👍 So go get it! :D

Thanks for letting me know 👍. It's always good to get feedback (this thread) about games such as this from fellow gtplanet'ers. I will definately get it next week and I'm quite looking forward to it :D

We'll have to see what Bethesda deliver with Skyrim.
Yep, the other game in my Steam wishlist. If it's anything like previous installments, it will be awesome. If it's better than DE:HR: even better. :D

Thanks for letting me know 👍. It's always good to get feedback (this thread) about games such as this from fellow gtplanet'ers. I will definately get it next week and I'm quite looking forward to it :D
Most sequels are designed so they can be played standalone anyway, the only thing you miss are usually some references or easter eggs. I played Deus Ex: Invisible War before the original too.

BTW, DLC is coming up in October: The Missing Link DLC.

Got the game last week and i'm really liking it. I love how there are multiple paths that you can take in the levels. The side quests are ACTUALLY interesting and fun but IMO, there is not enough side quests when you get later on into the game. I'm playing the PS3 version and it's pretty solid and i only had a few bugs but they weren't game-breaking. I reccommend this game to anyone that likes FPS RPGS.

Just finished it, took me 24 hours to complete but I missed two side quests in Detroit, so I'll do a Hard/No Kills/No Alerts run in the future. Overall I'd give the game an 8.5/10, it's a good game spoiled a bit by the character development (there aren't any compromises to consider for each upgrade), the stupid boss fights which felt out of place and had hardly any relation to the story, and the limp final third of the game.

I've been playing this all weekend and it's awesome, I have 18 hours into it right now which way better then most other FPS's. I think I mowed through COD:MW2 in like 4 hours or something. I love all my options with the gameplay, I can choose to be diplomatic, an ultimate badass or just someone who must shoot everything.

I see multiple playthroughs and I'm hoping it keeps me occupied until Skyrim comes out, which at that point nothing else will exist.

Just finished it, took me 24 hours to complete but I missed two side quests in Detroit, so I'll do a Hard/No Kills/No Alerts run in the future. Overall I'd give the game an 8.5/10, it's a good game spoiled a bit by the character development (there aren't any compromises to consider for each upgrade), the stupid boss fights which felt out of place and had hardly any relation to the story, and the limp final third of the game.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the boss fights but they didn't bother me too much. If your not kitted with grenades, then they can be quite hard but I thought they are a good little skill check. The only thing that bothers me about them is that there is no non-lethal option for them.

Make sure you have the most recent drivers. I also read there are some bugs related to nVidia hardware, and they're working on a patch for it. 👍

i have since re-installed the game and so far no freeze/crash has happened (crosses fingers).

I have only done the first boss battle so far (in Asia now), and it took me a while to beat him. This early in the game, there's no way to run and gun. If you are out of cover for 10 seconds and not in-between his firing, you go down FAST.

So far as i have experienced, stealth is the easier way to go(must be patient). I just don't have enough Ammunition/Health to just barge into a room/area with a bunch of soldiers/gang members to take them all out. Looking forward to seeing where the story takes me. :)👍

Finally finished the game after 20 hours of gameplay. I did a reload after each ending so I could go back and see the other choices. I really enjoyed the sense of morality and decision making the game lets you do. The ending really felt like I had to make a very important choice.

Awesome, awesome game. Once every few years a game comes out that causes me to play it in binge installments. This is one of those games. The game feels pretty open ended and most infiltration and combat can be handled a multitude of ways. The way you spec your character opens up a lot of possibilities while deliberately shutting other doors. You can't respec, so it warrants replay.

A few comments/annoyances:

Yes, I think the boss battles completely mess with the flow of the game and could have been handled much better. They feel tacked on and out of place.

I played through about 70% completely non-lethally and without ever being spotted by enemies before finding out that taking lives in the pre-game prologue prevented me from gaining the Pacifist achievement. That really annoyed me, but on the other hand it gave me license to go through one key firefight with lethal force. I'm still not sure how I'll replay that non-lethally.

If you're playing the PC version with a modern Nvidia video card and have tesselation enabled (I use a GTX 560Ti) I recommend experimenting with a few changes to the advanced video settings. Switch anti-aliasing from MLAA to FXAA. Enable soft shadows. Switch SSAO to high. I was getting some strange graphical glitches, such as black dots/white sparkles, and some pronounced black streaks in a few places until I made these changes.

If your monitor is accurately calibrated I recommend turning luminosity way down. I think the game is actually too bright in night/dark scenes, at least on the PC. Perhaps the gamma is correct on TVs using consoles.

Finally, if you're playing widescreen, try an FOV of about 85.

Last edited:
Agree on the binging, I must have played about 8 or 10 hours straight just playing around, exploring, taking my time to soak in the enviroment and completing side missions. Just about to head to China, and all I have to say so far is wow, it's a very immersive world. For some reason I can't remember, I never continued playing the first Deus Ex after I reached Hong Kong, despite spending equally as much time getting there as in HR. Doubt I'll be repeating that mistake this time around.

Did Jensen's apartment remind anyone else so much of Deckard's? I just had to sit down last night and watch Blade Runner again too.

Finally finished it last night. A few things did bug me about the game. Although the game gives you the option to approach things in multiple ways, I never found it quicker or easier than to pick a choke point, and start a fire fight. I know you could go the full stealth option but it always seemed easier to go with this strategy. Especially once you upgrade a few of your augs. Which leads me onto the next problem. At first I put a lot of thought into what upgrades to pick, but about halfway through the game the praxis points started flowing so quickly that I found I had almost no need to specialize further as I could see that I was going to end up with almost all the upgrades with the exception of the dumb hacking one which lets you know probability (I don't get this, as this info is already given if you hover over a node) and the lung upgrade which seemed useless as you can always find a way to shut off a valve if there is an area with a lot of toxic gas.

Boss fights. I don't have an issue with boss fights per se, but I just don't think it has handled properly. Especially the first guy, if you specialize for stealth, you are pretty much done for. For a game that is all about choice and picking different solutions, it doesn't give you any. When I got to the second boss, I was carrying a turret around which was dispatching all my enemies, but once the cut scene ran, my turret disappeared?? I found grenade spamming the quickest way to pass these areas. One of my boss fights lasted about 10 seconds with this technique. Pretty disappointing.

My final gripe:
The ending was pretty terrible. You can pick from 1 of 4 endings and then just replay every single one, one after the other... and it's just a monologue. Your actions previously in the game should dictate the ending options somehow. It makes what felt like a relatively open game suddenly feel very linear.

Despite all these annoyances, I really did like this game. It has a certain feel to it which is lacking from most games. It gives options (albeit they felt a little pointless), and the story was deep. Don't know if it deserves game of the year, (have to wait and see what Battlefield 3, Batman AC & Skyrim will be like) but I still highly recommend anyone to give this a go.

Last edited:
Just got my PS3 copy today and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
Compared to Uncharted2 and Batman, it doesn't quite deliver the visuals as impressive, the voice acting is a tiny bit off, and the story unfolds rather uninspired and unspectacular. Also I'm a bit sick of looking for ventilator shafts already.

It's quite repetitive at the beginning.

I'm still very early in the game, but the start is very slow so far.

Been a huge fan of the original though.

Edith: Done a few side missions and main quests up to the first boss battle and this has become a new game altogether. :) This really is very good fun, totally hooked after 5 hours worth of gameplay.

Last edited:
I bought and finished the game, and I agree with what everyone else has pretty much covered the first boss threw me off as I wasn't prepared (I'd been using stealth up to that point) but each boss after wasn't difficult to dispatch. Great game though definitely worth playing I liked the multiple paths through the game and that you can approach a situation in different ways not many games like this. Anyone sitting on the fence debating whether to play, definitely should! Hopefully they can make another, Eidos Montreal did a great job, the art design and music were great.

As usual, I'm a bit late to the party.

This game is so good! It's one of the first games I played in a while where I really feel that the computer is not holding my hand and babying me through the missions. I love how most guarded buildings have a multitude of entry points and ways to go about the mission.

My guy is mostly stealth right now and I'm getting worried that the first boss is goign to rip me to shreds because of this.

Also I'm terrible at hacking.

Picked this game up for a bargain on steam a few days ago. Sale until tomorrow, i have to say, i Looked ok when i first saw the trailers, but it didn't amaze me, now after playing through a few hours, i'm hooked. I love the cover system, and action stealth element, combined with some RPG.
The visuals on the PC though seem like a poor PS3, maybe i have too high standards after playing Max Payne 3, but i just think it could have been a lot better.

As a huge Rockstar fan, and a person who enjoys MGS and Fallout games, i recommend this.

It's on steam sale for a steal until the 26th. $8 AUD.

I already had all three Deus Ex games but that Steam sale is just lunacy, it's a LOT of seriously awesome game for the money even if you ignore Invisible War (which was an alright game in it's own right, just not a good sequel to Deus Ex). The thing about Human Revolution is that it's a straight port from the consoles and it was built to suit the lowest common denominator, i.e. the 360, which is why the video cutscenes are WORSE than the in-engine stuff, because they're so heavily compressed. I think. I actually can't remember it that well but I remember reading an explanation to that effect. One good thing to come of the fairly poor graphics is the low requirements, I ran it on an ATI 4870 almost maxed (everything except AA, which I had on 4x) and it was giving me frame rates of well over 60. The game itself is so much fun as long as you remember to spend some Praxis points on offensive capabilities even if you want to do a pacifist playthrough because you HAVE to kill the bosses.

The original Deus Ex is still the best, though, there are some mods to improve the look a little but I don't personally think it needs it.

I see 'The Missing Link' DLC is also included in the discount. For those that do not have it yet: get it, it was worth it full price and now it costs almost nothing. And you're not required to kill any bosses either. ;)

I agree neema, the graphics are terrible for the PC game, well not entirely terrible, but for a major game like itself released in 2011, i expected a lot better on the PC version, and was disappointed.
But the game itself is a lot of fun.

I never played any previous deus ex before human revolution, and i've heard a lot of people praising it(Deus Ex)better than Human Revolution, i will definitely play the first one after i finish human revolution.

I also like the fact that there are multiple ways around things.

I agree neema, the graphics are terrible for the PC game, well not entirely terrible, but for a major game like itself released in 2011, i expected a lot better on the PC version, and was disappointed.
But the game itself is a lot of fun.

I never played any previous deus ex before human revolution, and i've heard a lot of people praising it(Deus Ex)better than Human Revolution, i will definitely play the first one after i finish human revolution.

I also like the fact that there are multiple ways around things.

If you weren't impressed with the graphics of HR, you will be in for a tough time with the original Deus Ex. It looked like ass when it was released back in 2000 and time has not been kind to it. That said, it's an amazing game and worthy of all the praise that has been bestowed upon it.

Little bump to say that the previously Wii U exclusive Deus Ex: Human Evolution Director's Cut - which, amongst many things, promises to fix the bloody boss fights - is now coming to Playstation, Xbox, PC and Mac. I can't remember if they're the current or next gen consoles though. Still, good news all round. When I'm not on my phone I'll find the list of changes, but the boss fight fix (they're now avoidable and/or passable via non-lethal means, as they should have been) is the biggest deal for me.

Gah, sorry, I remembered it wrong. The boss fights still end in death, but you don't have to shoot them to reach that conclusion; you can basically use the augmentations you've selected rather than being forced to fight head-on, so there are hacking and stealth based alternate approaches. Shame they didn't go all the way back to the game's roots and let you find out killphrases for each boss, that was hilarious in the first game.

Source: Eurogamer's Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Wii U preview

This is old, just basically a preview of what the Director's Cut will include (redesigned boss battles, improved graphics, better enemy AI - basically the improvements from the DLC worked back into the game itself). It states the DX is for Wii U only, but it has been confirmed at E3 that it's coming to current-gen consoles, PC and Mac. The features that used the Wii U's touchscreen thing will use Vita and SmartGlass on other platforms, not sure about PC/Mac. Source for that announcement:

Eurogamer: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut no longer Wii U exclusive

So that's good. I was so excited for this game but only ever played through it once, mainly because I really didn't want to do the bosses again. Hopefully this will get me back into it again. This bit sounds interesting:

So now, on Wii U, you can use the GamePad to see enemy health, armour type (heavy, medium or light) and loot. The idea is this will let players plan their moves better; by checking loot you'll be able to identify a target who is carrying a pocket secretary, which may contain the code for a locked door you're after, or decide not to go into a room because it's packed with heavies with loads of hit points.

Not sure how useful that will be but it demonstrates this is quite a big update. I wonder if it'll be a free update, DLC for DX:HR or an entirely new game? This hasn't been mentioned yet.

Old Wii U trailer (with hilariously terrible voiceover):

Not sure how useful that will be but it demonstrates this is quite a big update. I wonder if it'll be a free update, DLC for DX:HR or an entirely new game? This hasn't been mentioned yet.

A free update sounds like too good a deal. It sounds like it'll be a separate release with various minor changes to the original, as well as some notable ones. If it's available as a relatively cheap update or DLC for those who already have HR, I'd buy it. I've only replayed parts of HR and that was over a year ago, so making a few changes to the game would make replaying it all the way through a more interesting prospect.

They also had a playable demo of the Wii U version at MCM last month. Didn't get a chance to play it though since it was packed in there.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, way too much has changed for it to be free, but not enough to justify asking more than £10-15 for it. In any case I'll pick it up in the inevitable sales not long after release (for PC)... I preordered the game for £25, within three months it was £7.50!

but not enough to justify asking more than £10-15 for it.

£10-15 is definitely too much. I bought the game for £15 brand new around two months after it released. Good game. No idea why the price dropped so quickly.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
£10-15 is definitely too cheap. I bought the game for £15 brand new around two months after it released. Good game. No idea why the price dropped so quickly.

Oh, sorry, I meant if it's a DLC.

I just thought, I wonder if they've done anything to address the laughable ending?

Back