Do not upgrade to 2.12

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 295 comments
Yes there is. You probably were just too ignorant to read it. It's how the world works, sorry but you might as well get used to it.

And don't agree to anything that you aren't willing to agree to.

NO they can put all the crap they like in there, doesn't make much of it legally binding OR give them the ability to take legal action. Sony can void a warranty for JB systems, they cant take legal action against somebody for jailbraking their system.. Not the same thing ;) Hacking the game violates the agreement just the same (they care not if you play downloaded backups or not, a JBPS3 is a JBPS3) ONLY thing they can do is ban online play OR as seen here patch it with a update, user choice to take that update.

It is NOT illegal to hybrid all I want and there is nothing they can legally do about it. No online GT5? So what Online GT5 sucked anyways..

They have to do this BY LAW. And you agreed to letting them take action the moment you agreed to the TOS, which you HAD to do to ever play online.
/b]

The terms of service agreement is a contract between you and Sony, It isn't a law and no one is obligated to enforce it. It merely gives them the right to take action if they feel you've committed an infraction that they deem to be a problem.

No one said they didn't have the right to do this. They have the right to ban every single person who ever purchased the game for whatever reason they choose. It still isn't the right choice.

I'll sit on 2.11 for now and play wait and see until GT6 2.0 patch is released. that shoudl give them plenty of time to make GT6 a decent game before I consider giving them any more of my money.

All my cars with modded physical appearances still look the same. I hope they don't change that in the next maintenance :# Still got my wheel/car color samples haha

NO they can put all the crap they like in there, doesn't make much of it legally binding OR give them the ability to take legal action. Sony can void a warranty for JB systems, they cant take legal action against somebody for jailbraking their system.. Not the same thing ;) Hacking the game violates the agreement just the same (they care not if you play downloaded backups or not, a JBPS3 is a JBPS3) ONLY thing they can do is ban online play OR as seen here patch it with a update, user choice to take that update.

It is NOT illegal to hybrid all I want and there is nothing they can legally do about it. No online GT5? So what Online GT5 sucked anyways..

The terms of service agreement is a contract between you and Sony, It isn't a law and no one is obligated to enforce it. It merely gives them the right to take action if they feel you've committed an infraction that they deem to be a problem.

No one said they didn't have the right to do this. They have the right to ban every single person who ever purchased the game for whatever reason they choose. It still isn't the right choice.

I'll sit on 2.11 for now and play wait and see until GT6 2.0 patch is released. that shoudl give them plenty of time to make GT6 a decent game before I consider giving them any more of my money.

It is illegal. Legal action and being illegal are different.

By illegal, I mean that you're not allowed to break certain things in the agreement and doing so will cause certain consequences.

And it may not be the right choice, but it's the ONLY choice. Because allowing you to hybrid cars across different manufacturers COULD end up in those manufacturers taking legal action, as in suing PD and Sony for all they've got.

To ensure this doesn't happen, PD set up an agreement. You agree to it. And if you break the agreement, they can do a hell of a lot to punish you. It isn't PD's fault. It's your fault for agreeing to something that you decided to break.
[/b][/color]

No its NOT illegal by the definition of illegal. The agreement only binds you for online play and (in case of JBPS3) warranty. Nothing illegal about using my copy of the game however I like ;) IF I do something illegal, like pirate the game that is different :D Hybridding is NOT Pirating...

The agreement is for online access, online content, and (in case of JBPS3) warranty... NOT use of the game... Get your ish straight.. You need to know your right as a consumer. To think this is illegal activity is ridiculous. Illegal, thats funny. Even when breaking an agreement outright, its NOT illegal, its simply breaking the agreement and subject to the clause in the agreement addressing such a situation, in this case hacked cars can get you banned from ONLINE play, its not like they can drop a bug in your PS3 and stop GT5 from loading up LMFAO.....

NO! No manufacturers can sue Sony for all they got (LMFAO) when you swap an engine in the game nothing but the coded characteristics change, its not like an actual engine is being swapped. The game is advertising for them.

Keep in mind that Hybrids have been in GT since GT1, if the Mans had a problem with it we would not be at GT5 looking at GT6 get a grip......

Notice when the game loads up it says "ONLINE PLAY is subject to blah blah blah" ;)

Maybe YOU need to read that agreement, or have somebody explain it to you... Sorry if I sound harsh, but don't call me ignorant when your making up your own definitions of what "illegal" means or don't have a clear understanding of what this agreement actually means, or have a clear understanding of what an agreement means for that mater.

Last edited:
Secret Menu is still alive and kicking! I would definitely pay closer attention to what you do with it though. Looks like PD are holding no punches back anymore. :scared:

Anyone trade any hacked car? Oh wait....TROLOLLOLOLOLOLO

Now was that really necessary? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Before people start blaming the GT community for possibly slowing down the development of GT6 perhaps PD should have put a bit more effort into how the game is saved, just about every games save data gets hacked eventually but it shouldn't be possible to make the changes that we can purely by editing save data. Why on Earth would things like the base chassis and base engine be stored in your save data? The base engine in lets say a Nissan GTR shouldn't differ from player to player so there is no need for it to be saved.

Before people start blaming the GT community for possibly slowing down the development of GT6 perhaps PD should have thought about what they were doing, just about every games save data gets hacked eventually but it shouldn't be possible to make the changes that we can purely by editing save data. Why on Earth would things like chassis and engine be stored in your save data?

because those parts can be changed its to track what has been added, and the adjustable settings/variables from one car to the next.

the save data getting hacked is not PD fault, its just the nature of the things. HOW they respond is on them. This will alienate a good portion of users, the consequences of that are yet to be seen, but I would not be surprised if this causes a large migration to some other game.

It is illegal. Legal action and being illegal are different.

By illegal, I mean that you're not allowed to break certain things in the agreement and doing so will cause certain consequences.

And it may not be the right choice, but it's the ONLY choice. Because allowing you to hybrid cars across different manufacturers COULD end up in those manufacturers taking legal action, as in suing PD and Sony for all they've got.

To ensure this doesn't happen, PD set up an agreement. You agree to it. And if you break the agreement, they can do a hell of a lot to punish you. It isn't PD's fault. It's your fault for agreeing to something that you decided to break.
[/b][/color]

The original quote stated that Sony/Polyphony was legally obligated to act, which they are not. No intellectual property rights of the licensors were infringed upon so legal recourse by any licensor is highly questionable and they would have to have some basis to contend that their property has been harmfully misrepresented.

As I've said before, there are no parts. There is no property to infringe upon beyond the visual representation. If hackers renamed Ferrari to ****, THEN something has been infringed upon.

True story - Colt vs EA. Colt sued because the name colt appeared on the 45 handgun. If you zoomed in, you could see it. The gun could have fired **** instead of bullets and that would have been ok, but having the word "colt" on it meant it was a colt and colt was seeking damages. We removed "colt" from the texture map and the case was closed.

These lawsuit happen all the time. Most of the time, the public never hears about it. It is all a money game. If you do any kind of swap, that information is only in the head of the person doing the mod. That info is never represented in game. Put a DIFFERENT ENGINE FILE in a miata, and the miata sounds like a v8 but all the information says otherwise. There is nothing to pursue legal action over so that is not the reason this patch happened.

Even if you read the fine print on the back of your game it will say "use of PSN is subject to terms of use" not use of the game lol I own my copy of the game, I can do with it as I please.....

because those parts can be changed its to track what has been added, and the adjustable settings/variables from one car to the next.

the save data getting hacked is not PD fault, its just the nature of the things. HOW they respond is on them. This will alienate a good portion of users, the consequences of that are yet to be seen, but I would not be surprised if this causes a large migration to some other game.

Those parts (base engine, base chassis) can't be changed legitimately in game so saving them is pointless, all of this stuff will be stored in game data or on the GT5 disc but it's in the save data aswell, it's almost like they considered engine swapping and stuff like that but decided not to implement it and just left it instead of removing it properly. This level of customization shouldn't be possible just by modifying save data.

Those parts (base engine, base chassis) can't be changed legitimately in game so saving them is pointless, all of this stuff will be stored in game data or on the GT5 disc but it's in the save data aswell, it's almost like they considered engine swapping and stuff like that but decided not to implement it and just left it instead of removing it properly. This level of customization shouldn't be possible just by modifying save data.

Yeah, engine gets upgrades added to it's power and also engine tuning.

EXACTLY! So leave it in because it makes the game better. Even if it's there because they plan on doing it for GT6, leave it alone.

And for those who still think this is a licensing matter, here's the proof that it isn't

Go take a Ferrari with a glass hood (say the 458). Notice the Ferrari engine in the back. Mod the file and stick whatever you like back there. How about, the engine out of the tank car for giggles. Go look at the car again and see that NOTHING has changed. The Ferrari engine is still there. As I have said many times, there are no such things are parts. Parts is just a term being used to refer to certain parameters. Altering the parameters of the cars is allowed in each agreement.

Is it possible that is not allowed in some cases? YES. Can you alter the cars in those cases even through modding? NO you cannot. Proof? Try to slam the 71 mustang.

If you drop the 71 mustang, it will sink into the ground before the suspension is allowed to travel below a locked point. Same goes for the premium 300SL. You cannot mod it beyond a certain point and the only reasonable explanation for this is that this modification is built into the code on purpose, but our access to it was unexpected.

Something stinks in this whole debacle.

Yeah, engine gets upgrades added to it's power and also engine tuning.

So the base engine code actually changes when you get an engine upgrade? I thought that there would be another variable in the save for any engine upgrades.

EXACTLY! So leave it in because it makes the game better. Even if it's there because they plan on doing it for GT6, leave it alone.

And for those who still think this is a licensing matter, here's the proof that it isn't

Go take a Ferrari with a glass hood (say the 458). Notice the Ferrari engine in the back. Mod the file and stick whatever you like back there. How about, the engine out of the tank car for giggles. Go look at the car again and see that NOTHING has changed. The Ferrari engine is still there. As I have said many times, there are no such things are parts. Parts is just a term being used to refer to certain parameters. Altering the parameters of the cars is allowed in each agreement.

Is it possible that is not allowed in some cases? YES. Can you alter the cars in those cases even through modding? NO you cannot. Proof? Try to slam the 71 mustang.

If you drop the 71 mustang, it will sink into the ground before the suspension is allowed to travel below a locked point. Same goes for the premium 300SL. You cannot mod it beyond a certain point and the only reasonable explanation for this is that this modification is built into the code on purpose, but our access to it was unexpected.

Something stinks in this whole debacle.

You don't get it. I've tried to explain it already.

Regardless of whether it makes any visual changes or the fact that it's just game data, PD HAS TO STOP THIS BECAUSE SONY MAKES THEM! Sony does NOT want to take ANY chances on getting any possible lawsuits in any way, and so PD HAS to do this.

They CAN'T leave it in because Sony WONT let them because Sony CAN'T let them since they probably have a bunch of fine print agreements with all the companies that could potentially get them in trouble, EVEN IF IT'S JUST GAME DATA AND DOESN'T ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING VISUAL.

Forza has ways of letting you do this legally in-game, but if you hacked and made hybrids like this then you'd face similar things there.
Turn10 bans your account and console from their online services if you violate their TOS.

The swapped engines get removed sadly. My Civette has lost it's Corvette engine, and now has a fully maxxed out default engine. From 600HP to a measly 400HP. :yuck:
Very disappointed with PD at the moment.

They will learn.. Forza will continue to kill dem! Gt5 was so exciting again...well idk about the 10000hp cars but I had fun with my Hondas mostly doing power to weight ratio swaps n some time attacks lmao even a few slammed cars for shows were so awesome!!!!! But hey f#£k em!! Forza to the world!

You don't get it. I've tried to explain it already.

Regardless of whether it makes any visual changes or the fact that it's just game data, PD HAS TO STOP THIS BECAUSE SONY MAKES THEM! Sony does NOT want to take ANY chances on getting any possible lawsuits in any way, and so PD HAS to do this.

They CAN'T leave it in because Sony WONT let them because Sony CAN'T let them since they probably have a bunch of fine print agreements with all the companies that could potentially get them in trouble, EVEN IF IT'S JUST GAME DATA AND DOESN'T ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING VISUAL.

What makes you think the patch was forced by Sony directly????

Your making assumptions buddy....

IMHO, I will admit, I modded cars. It was fun. VERY fun. But did I cause any trouble or problems? No. I stuck to my own kind. Yeah I played online, but I was always in a room for modded cars only. I never tried to mingle with the unhacked folks to thwart some victories. I mostly made slammed engine swapped cars to resemble the import scene. Subaru WRX STI, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, Hondas, etc. I'd lower them as low as they could go, do a chassis swap for a wider stance, then add a bit of camber to tuck the wheels. All things that should have been allowed in the game. Camber is allowed in the game, just not to the degree that was available when modding cars. Same thing with ride height. You can raise or lower cars naturally in the game, but you can't "slam" them. You can't have your bumper dragging on the ground, or your car so low that it throws sparks while driving. THIS was the fun part for me. I messed arounf with the 100,000hp cars at first, but quickly lost interest as it was impractical and most of the time uncontrollable. "Realistic modding" as it was sometimes referred to, was what I was interested in. I don't want to get in the middle of the debate over why PD patched the game, but in my opinion, a simple solution could have been to split the game in half. Create 2 different sides to the online aspect. The racing portion became boring to me. I had completed all but a few races prioir to the existence of modding, and so I used the online portion of the game to show off my new modded cars to other people in the game, almost the same as people would do at a car show. I dont see why PD could have split the game in two sections. One for unmodded play where if you choose not to mod, you wouldnt have to worry about hacked or modded cars coming to interfere with your gameplay or stealing your victory from you, and the other portion as modded or hacked cars only. Where you are unable to use anything BUT a modded car, that way you keep everyone happy. The people who mod their cars can enjoy showing off their lowered Civic to their friends, and the people who want to race unmodded cars can do so without worrying about interference. As voodoo stated, no licensing has been altered with, so I don't see a legal problem with modding cars, and to whoever stated earlier about "suggesting to PD, because they will listen" well... with as many people that modded cars and used modded cars, if PD doesn't get the hint.... they obviously don't listen, but the fact that people modded cars in the first place should tell them something. I understand this is a "simulator" and not "Need for speed" but, engine swaps are possible in real life, slamming your car to the ground is possible (airbags and hydraulics) swapping wheels (different sizes i.e. stock 16's going to 17s or 18s) is possible. I think the consumer would be happier if these options were available in the game, since it's a simulator and all of those things (just to name a few) ARE possible in simulation. Myself, along with a few others as seen here, will not be purchasing GT6 (regardless of the release date) unless some sort of customization on this level is available in the game.

What makes you think the patch was forced by Sony directly????

Your making assumptions buddy....

Because Sony is technically supposed to enforce it, and why else would they do it? They're working on GT6, they don't need to worry about this. Even if Sony didn't directly call for this, PD really are supposed to take action when people break the TOS.

I'm not making assumptions. We all knew this would end up happening.

Last edited:
Because Sony is technically supposed to enforce it, and why else would they do it? They're working on GT6, they don't need to worry about this. Even if Sony didn't directly call for this, PD really are supposed to take action when people break the TOS.

I'm not making assumptions. We all knew this would end up happening.

Supposed to enforce what?!?!?!

Man you have no idea what your talking about bro... PD did what they did because PD wanted to address the hacked cars raping seasonals pretty much, and to preserve the Online Play in GT5 as they want to market online play in GT6. What the hell does Sony care if we hybrid GT5 cars? Come on Dude, do you really think Sony cares about every hack in every game on the System???? Get Real...... Bigger fish to fry with Jailbroken Systems and games getting pirated ;) they don't care or have time to waist on every little hack in all the games on the System....

Last edited:

I think that the reason that car data is saved in your savefile is because of your garage.

Back