Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,085 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 616 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,035 51.3%

• Total voters
God doesn't condone murder, rape, torture and slavery. The Old Testament has a lot of violence, a lot of it is accounts of what people did and God trying to work with people to lead them to a better path.

Murder: The 10 commandments are a broad outline of general morality of which is stated 'do not commit murder' (Exodus 20:13). When God commanded Joshua to kill the Canaanites, there are several key factors to consider:
1. It was God's command. If he gives life he has authority to take it if he sees fit.
What in the Casey Anthony?

Also, I'm lazy and not finding and editing the quote on mobile, but you also mentioned that "God didn't commit debauchery with a woman." Alright, whatever, it's still a spiritual R.Kelly move that he had to find a teen to get pregnant.

Or do we want more Trapped In The Closet?

Last edited:
If any proof of god existed, what would it even look like?
That would depend on someone's definition of god in the first place. Proof for an atheist isn't going to look like proof for a Muslim, and I'd put money on it causing nothing but a lot more human suffering when people don't agree.

What does proof that you exist look like?
Now you're speaking my language, I'd say that the proof is everywhere around you, but just for those who require solid proof or evidence. I wonder what said proof would even look like, and if they themselves even know.

That would depend on someone's definition of god in the first place. Proof for an atheist isn't going to look like proof for a Muslim, and I'd put money on it causing nothing but a lot more human suffering when people don't agree.
Then how do we even determine what classifies as solid proof for gods existence, when everyone's concept of god is going to differ slightly.

Then how do we even determine what classifies as solid proof for gods existence, when everyone's concept of god is going to differ slightly.
Exactly... and it's not even slightly. Some being that can affirm they're capable of Old Testament destruction might make Christians rejoice... some might rightly see that as the greatest existential threat to all life that we could imagine. In any case, I believe affirmation of a God, or gods, would only bring war and destruction.

and if they themselves even know.
The most obvious measure is against religious texts... but that's never going to happen because they're works of fiction written by long dead humans attempting to garner influence. A more open minded, less indoctrinated view of religion, is more likely to just interpret god as a more powerful being, honestly - can you imagine what humanity would do if faced with an all powerful being?

To this day, I've not answered the poll question for this very reason. What is this god I'm being asked if I believe in? What (specifically) is God, or a god, to you?

If any proof of god existed, what would it even look like?
The Christian God? Well, I'd want Jesus to come down and turn water into funk:

A supernatural being in general? Hard to say. I have a belief in a supernatural power, but I realize that it's just faith when it comes to accepting that it exists. For me to turn belief into fact, I'd say there would need to be some scientific evidence that shows the power exists. I'm not entirely sure what that evidence would be, but I would assume it would be on the quantum level and have to do with other dimensions.

To this day, I've not answered the poll question for this very reason. What is this god I'm being asked if I believe in? What (specifically) is God, or a god, to you?
Now that is very hard for me to put into words, I guess I'm what you'd term a blind faith type of person. The more I try to understand what god or God is the more confused I get, I just try to have faith that there really is something greater than all of this physical stuff. That somehow there is a purpose to all of this and that physical existence isn't just purely materialistic and random and of coincidence, if that makes any sense?

Now that is very hard for me to put into words, I guess I'm what you'd term a blind faith type of person.
Nothing wrong with that.
The more I try to understand what god or God is the more confused I get, I just try to have faith that there really is something greater than all of this physical stuff.
Why?
That somehow there is a purpose to all of this and that physical existence isn't just purely materialistic and random and of coincidence, if that makes any sense?
God or gods are not required for one to not be materialistic, nor is randomness inherently bad.

What exactly is it that you fear that requires it to be otherwise?*

*I'm assuming it's fear, apologies if that's not the case, but it's how it reads.

God doesn't condone murder, rape, torture and slavery. The Old Testament has a lot of violence, a lot of it is accounts of what people did and God trying to work with people to lead them to a better path.
This god (omnipotent, omniscient) created this universe 13.8bn years ago in full knowledge of every murder, rape, torture and enslavement that would be carried out by the human apes who would evolve billions of years later on a blue dot, orbiting an unremarkable white star, sat out in the spiral arm of a particular galaxy. This god knew when, how, why and who would carry out such horrible acts and also knew every detail about every victim of such horrors.

This begs the question as to why this god created the universe in that exact way - and what does it say about the nature of this god? Well I have a word to describe such a god - I won't spell it out here but it's a word the Brits and Aussies love and it starts with a C.

Last edited:
The Old Testament has a lot of violence, a lot of it is accounts of what people did and God trying to work with people to lead them to a better path.
In the OT God literally kills everyone on the planet bar one family!

That's an odd way of 'trying to work with people'.

There are stories of rape in the Bible but they are nowhere condoned
Judges says your wrong

"The owner of the house went out and said to them, “No, my brothers, do not do this wicked thing! After all, this man is a guest in my house. Do not commit this outrage. 24Look, let me bring out my virgin daughter and the man’s concubine, and you can use them and do with them as you wish. But do not do such a vile thing to this man.” 25But the men would not listen to him. So the Levite took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go.…"

Yep, perfectly justifiable to let women be raped in place of men in the bible.

Images like this certainly make you wonder at the big questions, the context we find ourselves in certainly makes some older human centric religious notions seem a bit absurd. When seeing such grandeur of that scale does it need a god, or is it wonderous enough just of itself?

Images like this certainly make you wonder at the big questions, the context we find ourselves in certainly makes some older human centric religious notions seem a bit absurd. When seeing such grandeur of that scale does it need a god, or is it wonderous enough just of itself?
It certainly places a massive ? to the case of reality as we know it, that mainly being the question what on earth is reality or the universe?

It certainly places a massive ? to the case of reality as we know it, that mainly being the question what on earth is reality or the universe?
Philosophically, there are two possible explanations for what is reality. One is physicalism, and the other is idealism. There may be observations in the field of quantum mechanics that do not fit the classical physicalist worldview.

Philosophically, there are two possible explanations for what is reality. One is physicalism, and the other is idealism. There may be observations in the field of quantum mechanics that do not fit the classical physicalist worldview.
What is the definition of something that is "physical"?

Why? Why can't it be pretty much exactly what it appears to be?

1657809065390.png

Each spec of light in that image is a galaxy.

Each of those galaxies contains on the order of 100 billion stars.

Each of those stars is almost certain to have at least one, and probably several, planets.

That image covers an area of the sky about the size of a single grain of sand, held at arm's length.

A grain of sand, at arm's length. How many grains of sand to cover the entire 360° sphere of view in the universe?

Still think we're alone?

Still think there is no chance that life appeared spontaneously without a Creator?

View attachment 1172484

Each of those stars is almost certain to have at least one, and probably several, planets.

That image covers an area of the sky about the size of a single grain of sand, held at arm's length.

A grain of sand, at arm's length. How many grains of sand to cover the entire 360° sphere of view in the universe?

Still think we're alone?

Still think there is no chance that life appeared spontaneously without a Creator?
Gosh, I sure feel smol.

Yes there's an explanation how life start, there's no creator, it's just chemical reaction that produce something. It doesnt need anythign to happen, that's the beauty of it. Stars dies and from that, matter is create. Off course the big question is how did it start. Same things as the question with the chicken tho, who was first, the chicken or the egg ?

What I found unfair is that I can't be buried the way I want when I die, I believe in the circle of life and for me my life would be fullfilled if when I die I can go back to the earth and help create more life, being maggots or just food for plants, that's how life work, not something made up by someone somewhere. Burrying people in a coffin where they wont perpetuate the circle of life is sad and terrible thing western civilization are doing, it's even worst when you burn people. Because yeah, you give nothing back to the earth after using it's ressource all your life.

What I found unfair is that I can't be buried the way I want when I die, I believe in the circle of life and for me my life would be fullfilled if when I die I can go back to the earth and help create more life, being maggots or just food for plants, that's how life work, not something made up by someone somewhere.
There is nothing stopping you from from being buried in a biodegradable container without embalming so that your body returns its organic components to the earth. It's called 'natural burial'.

What I found unfair is that I can't be buried the way I want when I die, I believe in the circle of life and for me my life would be fulfilled if when I die I can go back to the earth and help create more life, being maggots or just food for plants, that's how life work, not something made up by someone somewhere. Burying people in a coffin where they wont perpetuate the circle of life is sad and terrible thing western civilization are doing, it's even worst when you burn people. Because yeah, you give nothing back to the earth after using it's resource all your life.
What kind of coffin are people being buried in that prevents a body being returned to the Earth? I know in the UK it is very easy to have a coffin that rapidly degrades and leaves nothing behind and embalming is entirely down to individual choice. Are such natural burials banned in some countries?

You'll do far more "harm" to the environment while you're alive than being cremated are buried in a coffin. Don't sweat it so much. One's body is a relatively small amount of trash.
It looks to me that the criticism isn't that burial or cremation are harmful to the environment, rather that the deceased aren't likely to be of benefit to the environment in the case of cremation and that benefit is delayed by traditional burial practices like embalming and sturdy caskets. Also an embalmed body with all the chemicals employed in the process isn't great for the environment compared to unembalmed.

It looks to me that the criticism isn't that burial or cremation are harmful to the environment, rather that the deceased aren't likely to be of benefit to the environment in the case of cremation and that benefit is delayed by traditional burial practices like embalming and sturdy caskets. Also an embalmed body with all the chemicals employed in the process isn't great for the environment compared to unembalmed.
The concern about cremation is almost certainly about harm, but you're technically correct, that the stated concern was about not benefitting. Regardless, of all of the trash that doesn't benefit the environment that we leave behind, the body is a tiny fraction. Plant a tree if you want to benefit the environment, don't worry about your corpse.

View attachment 1172484

Still think we're alone?

I never implied we're alone, I simply asked wtf is the universe or reality when you actually think about it. What is it, how did it come to be etc? Life could appear spontaneously without a creator sure, the whole universe though?

Last edited:
Back