Do you still have respect for Kazunori Yamauchi? (poll)

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 248 comments

Do you have any respect for Kazunori Yamauchi?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 164 76.3%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can agree with this sentiment.
But there is nothing to say that his (their) next "effort", nor the one after that, won't reaffirm that respect.
In this instance I think "respect" is probably better described as "admiration".

Individual game centric, personal opinion regarding the content, and to me, irrelevant to this conversation.

Irrelevant, and I refute the assertion.
As an example, PCars updates 4, 5, and 6 alone added up to 13Gb.
The actual game download was less than 18Gb.
Patches for GT6 was 12Gb, in total.
I'll leave it up to you to add up PCars total update patch size.

What?
Irrelevant, see my last response.

VisionGT is an incredibly unique programme that allows famous worldwide manufacturers to participate in a design exercise and have those cars incorporated into arguably the most famous racing video game.
Your personal liking of the car's those manufacturers produced isn't a prerequisite to appreciate the concept for what it is.

I have no recollection of Kaz being a pioneer in VR.
Perhaps you know something I don't here, but I'm always happy to expand my knowledge if you would care to share.
Otherwise I don't see any correlation with this point.

Hallelujah.
Your second part of this point shows nothing more than negative bias.

Neither you nor I understand the circumstances behind these examples.

Bought??
Again, perhaps you know something I don't.

Regarding "he does what he wants", with people like Andrew House and Shuhei Yoshida on the board, your image of how board meetings work is apparently very different to mine.
Notice how you compared PS4 game update sizes to PS3?
I also said "most updated" not "biggest file size".
GT6 is running 21 updates, and you're comparing it to ACs 6? (idk how many it has but less than 21)

Your main point seems to be to tell me that everything's irrelevant.

So I can respect Kaz for what he's accomplished in his favor, but I cant lose respect for his failures and seeming oblivion?
Alrighty then.

I find that those that suggest they have "lost" respect because they didn't like the last 1 or 2 games, or to be fair, some circumstances surrounding the last 2 games, to me it suggests they gained the respect of the man because they liked the previous games.

Both assessments seem rather shallow to me.

You think so? Seems pretty rational to me. One gains respect for great achievements and loses it for poor ones. Why should it be otherwise?

And I think it's fair to say that very few individuals have steared the ship and achieved a globally recognised product like this man.

If by "very few" you mean "literally thousands". Gran Turismo is at this point a medium size fish in a fairly small pond. There are thousands of individuals who have steered their companies and/or products to international significance.

Personal preference in individual games, or again the circumstances that some seem to think they know all the details about, shouldn't hold the weight some seem to apply.

Why not?

If you are interested in gaming and where it's at from where it began, Kaz has certainly played a major role.

Racing games, certainly. Although again there are a handful of people who have been far more influential on the genre but get far less publicity than Kaz. I reserve my respect for them, without whom the racing genre would be a very different place.

But there is nothing to say that his (their) next "effort", nor the one after that, won't reaffirm that respect.

Certainly. And when he does it, he can have my respect again. For now, I have little respect for him as a developer. He had one very good idea and milked it, but didn't know where to go when times moved beyond that and didn't have the foresight to bring in alternative visions.

GTS is interesting but it's about 10 years too late to be anything special. And the time from PS4 release renders it basically obsolete even before it's available. You cannot release a AAA game that small and focused four years after PS4 release. Not with Polyphony's team and budget.

In this instance I think "respect" is probably better described as "admiration".

Two different words, with different meanings. If you mean admiration, then say admiration. Don't try and conflate it with respect when other people are using that word with it's distinct meanings.

VisionGT is an incredibly unique programme that allows famous worldwide manufacturers to participate in a design exercise and have those cars incorporated into arguably the most famous racing video game.
Your personal liking of the car's those manufacturers produced isn't a prerequisite to appreciate the concept for what it is.

On the other hand, one could certainly critique it for not sticking to it's own design brief, being late, and not actually delivering on what it promised even two years later. It's few features that you find that you actually also have to buy the next game to fully experience.

I like the idea of the VGTs, but the implementation was somewhere between horrible and abusive.

While it's fair to say I'm not overly animated in this particular topic, it is polite to respond to those that quoted me, so here goes.

@Johnnypenso
A rather extreme example, but I get what you're driving at.
Point taken. 👍

@Scaff
Interesting image.
I don't know the ins-and-outs of how the console organises it files, but I got the numbers from gtplanet news posts.
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-v4-0-released-for-ps4-pc/
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-5-0-update-now-available-on-ps4-pc/
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-6-0-update-now-available-on-playstation-4-and-xbox-one/
Over 3Gb, over 4Gb, and 5.6Gb, is close enough to 13Gb to me. 👍
Perhaps I've misread something somewhere.
But does the number of patches or the size of patches really have any significance to the topic at hand?
Perhaps to some it does, but to me, the answer is No.

@CSLACR
Remembering that you quoted me, I simply responded to your list of bullet points.
And considering the context of my post, I'm sorry to say that Yes, I did find most of the points you posted inconsequential to the topic, and therefore irrelevant.
But hey, each to their own. 👍

@Imari
I do like reading your posts. :)
Once again you have put forward some great counter points. 👍
And while there are a couple small things from your post I would like to counter myself, I'm happy to leave it at that.

@Tornado
Indeed.
That sounds like a fair statement to me. 👍

@Scaff
Interesting image.
I don't know the ins-and-outs of how the console organises it files, but I got the numbers from gtplanet news posts.
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-v4-0-released-for-ps4-pc/
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-5-0-update-now-available-on-ps4-pc/
https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-6-0-update-now-available-on-playstation-4-and-xbox-one/
Over 3Gb, over 4Gb, and 5.6Gb, is close enough to 13Gb to me. 👍
Perhaps I've misread something somewhere.
Each PS4 update also contains all of the data from the previous one, so in this case the first is 3GB, the next is only 1 GB bigger, the next 1.6GB bigger again, etc.

So in the three examples above the total size of the updates is 5.6GB, not 13GB.

If I recall the total updates for PC was around 9 to 10GB (across 10 updates).

The PS4 does this so if you buy a title that has had numerous patches/updates you don't need to download a huge number of separate files and have them install (which was the case on the PS3 and didn't work that well)

But does the number of patches or the size of patches really have any significance to the topic at hand?
Perhaps to some it does, but to me, the answer is No.
Um, you mentioned PCars and the total size of its updates.

Each PS4 update also contains all of the data from the previous one, so in this case the first is 3GB, the next is only 1 GB bigger, the next 1.6GB bigger again, etc.

So in the three examples above the total size of the updates is 5.6GB, not 13GB.

If I recall the total updates for PC was around 9 to 10GB (across 10 updates).

The PS4 does this so if you buy a title that has had numerous patches/updates you don't need to download a huge number of separate files and have them install (which was the case on the PS3 and didn't work that well)

Um, you mentioned PCars and the total size of its updates.
I didn't realise that.
And yet using that example I don't understand why v7.0 was 2Gb.

I was responding to a post that quoted me.
I put forward an alternative example.
Perhaps the poster had a better point.
I'm not fussed.

I still feel it's a moot point regarding respect to Kaz.
It's your prerogative to hold a different view.

I didn't realise that.
And yet using that example I don't understand why v7.0 was 2Gb.
Sometimes the difference in size (from the last update) gets mentioned rather than the total size, however the way in which the PS4 manages updates is the same across all titles.

I was responding to a post that quoted me.
I put forward an alternative example.
Perhaps the poster had a better point.
I'm not fussed.

I still feel it's a moot point regarding respect to Kaz.
It's your prerogative to hold a different view.
I've not stated a view on it, my only input in this case was in regard to a comparison of patch/update sizes across two console generation is not a like for like one, and that the total patch size you mentioned for PCars wasn't accurate.

Sometimes the difference in size (from the last update) gets mentioned rather than the total size, however the way in which the PS4 manages updates is the same across all titles.

I've not stated a view on it, my only input in this case was in regard to a comparison of patch/update sizes across two console generation is not a like for like one, and that the total patch size you mentioned for PCars wasn't accurate.
I've noticed.

Suggestion for consideration.
Perhaps gtplanet could report on patch sizes in a uniform manner to avoid future confusion. 👍

Edit.
And for me it's getting late, so that signals the end of my participation in this off-topic conversation. 👍

Last edited:
Back