Do you still have respect for Kazunori Yamauchi? (poll)

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 248 comments

Do you have any respect for Kazunori Yamauchi?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 164 76.3%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you want to play dumb. One word, BROKERS.

They made him a deal he couldn't refuse, or they'd break his kneecaps?

You do know that there are many types of brokers? I mean, broker as a general term is basically "guy who buys or sells stuff". So really, you just told us that it was a person...

56d.gif

That's not really true though is it?

They updated it with patches, ran events and added free DLC. How is that Polyphony abandoning it after a week?
How about a page full of Vision GT (That i never understood with cars such as LaFerrari and P1 not in game) that never saw the light?

How about a page full of Vision GT (That i never understood with cars such as LaFerrari and P1 not in game) that never saw the light?

That's fair enough, but I always thought with that area of the game being abandoned, that was due to manufactures not fulfilling their end rather than Polyphony not bothering. All hear say I know, but considering how many cars are in the game, I don't think it was them abandoning it themselves.

That's fair enough, but I always thought with that area of the game being abandoned, that was due to manufactures not fulfilling their end rather than Polyphony not bothering. All hear say I know, but considering how many cars are in the game, I don't think it was them abandoning it themselves.
I still remember the joy of having the Red Bull Ring and Toyota Ts030 as Free content, but to me that's not enough

It's at least a bit of both. After all, they originally promised they would all arrive in GT6 and even if we give them the benefit of the doubt and put the delay in some down the manufacturer, they are still going against that promise by now moving them all over to GT Sport. Personally I couldn't care less but I'm sure those still playing GT6 6 months ago, or even now, would've liked the Bugatti and Hyundai but no.

I spent 70 Euros on GT6, abbandoned after a week or so by the developers.
How can you trust a person after this?
Wow.
Sure, you didn't like the game.
No worries.

But that is so far from the truth it's clearly pointless putting forward any actual facts.

Lol. GT6 got updates, Gigabytes of updates in fact. Heck we got like 3-4 new tracks as free DLC down the line. And additional 10+ cars. More to come. He should really update his game.

I'll just add this.

I find that those that suggest they have "lost" respect because they didn't like the last 1 or 2 games, or to be fair, some circumstances surrounding the last 2 games, to me it suggests they gained the respect of the man because they liked the previous games.

Both assessments seem rather shallow to me.

Surely respect, in this example, is earned from recognising the achievements in the industry.
And I think it's fair to say that very few individuals have steared the ship and achieved a globally recognised product like this man.

Personal preference in individual games, or again the circumstances that some seem to think they know all the details about, shouldn't hold the weight some seem to apply.
If you are interested in gaming and where it's at from where it began, Kaz has certainly played a major role.

Respect for that influence and achievement in his chosen industry?
Absolutely.

Last edited:
I'll just add this.

I find that those that suggest they have "lost" respect because they didn't like the last 1 or 2 games, or to be fair, some circumstances surrounding the last 2 games, to me it suggests they gained the respect of the man because they liked the previous games.

Surely respect, in this example, is earned from recognising the achievements in the industry.
And I think it's fair to say that very few individuals have steared the ship and achieved a globally recognised product like this man.

Personal preference in individual games, or again the circumstances that some seem to think they know all the details about, shouldn't hold the weight some seem to apply.
If you are interested in gaming and where it's at from where it began, Kaz has certainly played a major role.

Absolutely.
Equally I think some people confuse the past with the present. You can appreciate someone's past contribution to the genre while slowly losing respect for them and their recent efforts. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I'll just add this.

Absolutely.
Depends on what achievements you focus on.
GT6 most likely holds a record for the most outdated content in gaming history. That's an achievement.
GT probably holds some records for the most patched game in history. (both a good thing and bad) That's an achievement.
GT6 is again in record territory for latest released big-selling franchise in a consoles lifespan, coming out after, but not for the PS4.
VisionGT feels like an advertisement of some kind, the cars don't fit the rest of the game at all, and their imaginary performance is about as ridiculous as possible.
VR is pretty neat, except GTS still isn't out, and other VR games are coming. So the fact they haven't released a game in this amount of time is presumably because of this, at least somewhat. Yeah they'll be the first VR racing game on consoles, and that's "groundbreaking", but will it work well and will someone else make a better VR experience soon after?

GTAcademy is pretty awesome, definitely something amazing. The only great thing GT has accomplished since the PS2.

Other things would be numerous claims that ended up being false, setting up a Q&A forum on GTP and promptly ignoring it, and there's more I'm sure. Can't forget that "blank canvas" talk.
I think Kaz bought his own celebrity, he does what he wants and assumes everyone will love it regardless. Maybe he's right.

Equally I think some people confuse the past with the present. You can appreciate someone's past contribution to the genre while slowly losing respect for them and their recent efforts. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
I can agree with this sentiment.
But there is nothing to say that his (their) next "effort", nor the one after that, won't reaffirm that respect.
In this instance I think "respect" is probably better described as "admiration".

Depends on what achievements you focus on.
GT6 most likely holds a record for the most outdated content in gaming history. That's an achievement.

Individual game centric, personal opinion regarding the content, and to me, irrelevant to this conversation.

GT probably holds some records for the most patched game in history. (both a good thing and bad) That's an achievement.

Irrelevant, and I refute the assertion.
As an example, PCars updates 4, 5, and 6 alone added up to 13Gb.
The actual game download was less than 18Gb.
Patches for GT6 was 12Gb, in total.
I'll leave it up to you to add up PCars total update patch size.

GT6 is again in record territory for latest released big-selling franchise in a consoles lifespan, coming out after, but not for the PS4.
What?
Irrelevant, see my last response.

VisionGT feels like an advertisement of some kind, the cars don't fit the rest of the game at all, and their imaginary performance is about as ridiculous as possible.

VisionGT is an incredibly unique programme that allows famous worldwide manufacturers to participate in a design exercise and have those cars incorporated into arguably the most famous racing video game.
Your personal liking of the car's those manufacturers produced isn't a prerequisite to appreciate the concept for what it is.

VR is pretty neat, except GTS still isn't out, and other VR games are coming. So the fact they haven't released a game in this amount of time is presumably because of this, at least somewhat. Yeah they'll be the first VR racing game on consoles, and that's "groundbreaking", but will it work well and will someone else make a better VR experience soon after?

I have no recollection of Kaz being a pioneer in VR.
Perhaps you know something I don't here, but I'm always happy to expand my knowledge if you would care to share.
Otherwise I don't see any correlation with this point.

GTAcademy is pretty awesome, definitely something amazing.

Hallelujah.
Your second part of this point shows nothing more than negative bias.

Other things would be numerous claims that ended up being false, setting up a Q&A forum on GTP and promptly ignoring it, and there's more I'm sure. Can't forget that "blank canvas" talk.

Neither you nor I understand the circumstances behind these examples.

I think Kaz bought his own celebrity, he does what he wants and assumes everyone will love it regardless. Maybe he's right.

Bought??
Again, perhaps you know something I don't.

Regarding "he does what he wants", with people like Andrew House and Shuhei Yoshida on the board, your image of how board meetings work is apparently very different to mine.

Last edited:
I can agree with this sentiment.
But there is nothing to say that his (their) next "effort", nor the one after that, won't reaffirm that respect.
In this instance I think "respect" is probably better described as "admiration".
There is also nothing to say that space aliens might land next week and render all our thoughts on technology obsolete. If and when the next effort drops and it blows people away, I'm sure they'll re-evaluate their feelings on Kaz and the franchise. The fact that we are waiting for the next effort for that to happen, really is an answer in itself if you know what I mean.

Patches aren't just game code, they include DLC. Can you tell us how much of the PCars downloaded data was game patch and how much was DLC? Because, without that number, the comparison is rendered meaningless.

Comparing patch sizes for titles on two different generations is meaningless. The texture layer sizes alone are going to be totally different.

If a PS4 title wasn't bigger I would be far more surprised.

Oh and no need to ask people to add it all up:

21-02-2017 14-56-30.jpg

27.15 GB, game, patches and all DLC. As such your maths seems to be off.

Not to mention you are ignoring the fact that the updates for PCars also contained all of the DLC cars, tracks and liveries.

Last edited:
Comparing patch sizes for titles on two different generations is meaningless. The texture layer sizes alone are going to be totally different.

If a PS4 title wasn't bigger I would be far more surprised.

Oh and no need to ask people to add it all up:

View attachment 629542

27.15 GB, game, patches and all DLC. As such your maths seems to be off.

Not to mention you are ignoring the fact that the updates for PCars also contained all of the DLC cars, tracks and liveries.
Also totally irrelevant anyway, example: World of Tanks =50gigs, Warthunder =14 gigs. That is surprising to me as i would have expected those numbers to be the other way around as Warthunder seams to be a bigger game. Unless i just haven't explored them enough.

Back