EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 2,639 comments
£40.49 with Game Pass which is ridiculously "cheap as chips" !
I'll be ordering as soon as my credit card turns round 👍
I don't even have GP but they gave me the discount anyway. M'sieur Ambassador, you are really spoiling us...

Last edited:
To be fair Codemasters did that already with DIRT Rally 2.0 - love that game to bits but they released like 50% of it at full price then put the rest (all the locations from the original game mainly) out over the next year as paid DLC. I think only a few Rallycross locations and Scotland were actually new? Horrible way of releasing half a game then making you pay double……I don’t think Codemasters need EA’s help for that
Exactly my thinking, although I didn't mind paying for the extra dlc and definitely got my moneys worth, Reinstalled dirt rally 2.0 today and loving being back.

Exactly my thinking, although I didn't mind paying for the extra dlc and definitely got my moneys worth, Reinstalled dirt rally 2.0 today and loving being back.
I also didn't mind paying for the season passes and the content they had in them. Codemasters were totally upfront with the content which made it easy to decide whether it was worth it, plus the stages all had decent size revamps, particularly Monte-Carlo which was dramatically different, Greece which had wet weather added. You're right though, in terms of rallies, Scotland was the only all new one to be added.

Once it was all in though, by the far the best rally game there has ever been, from a content, visual, audio and playability standpoint, there isn't anything better to me. WRC 10 and Generations were good and they have some great stages, career mode has good depth, but the audio, the visuals and certainly in the case of 10, the physics, were just poor compared to DR2.0.

Depending on the platform, you get a 10% loyalty discount if you owned DiRT Rally 2.0 or an EA Play (maybe Pro) sub.

I may be biased here, but that price for that many cars and stages is a pretty good deal. It’s basically more content and features than DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition at a lower price than when that GOTY was released.

Depending on the platform, you get a 10% loyalty discount if you owned DiRT Rally 2.0 or an EA Play (maybe Pro) sub.

I may be biased here, but that price for that many cars and stages is a pretty good deal. It’s basically more content and features than DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition at a lower price than when that GOTY was released.
It's an amazing deal nowadays regardless of bias. Most, if not all games are 60-100 now.

It’s a great deal. Everything about this game just looks too good to be true at the moment. With this and Forza coming out over the next couple of months, this is a great time coming up and a bad time to have a full-time job.

It’s a great deal. Everything about this game just looks too good to be true at the moment. With this and Forza coming out over the next couple of months, this is a great time coming up and a bad time to have a full-time job.
lol so true but actually checking the dates, WRC early access falls over a weekend, and Forza early access is near the end of the week, so I'll probably get both now.

Is this tire deformation I am seeing here?
1694139825810.png

Certainly appears to be, I think ACC has visual tyre deformation as well, that game also uses Unreal Engine for the visuals.

Be interested in knowing if that is baked into the physics as well.

Jon Armstrong
We looked at different options [and] we knew when we got the WRC licence that we would have a lot of locations to make,” explained Game Designer and 2023 European Rally Championship ERC3 champion Jon Armstrong on a recent Electronic Arts The Racing Line presentation.

“We really wanted to push the boundaries of the stage lengths.”

“We [now] have really long stages. We have stages that are 30 kilometres in length, which is super, super long. I think in a Rally1 car it takes 20 minutes+ to complete that.”

30km stages confirmed. That’s longer than anything KT had or Codemasters have had before.

From this article: https://traxion.gg/why-ea-sports-wrc-will-use-unreal-engine-mixed-with-dirt-rally-physics/

I enjoyed the long stages in WRC as the background scenery and surfaces varied whereas as in DR and DR 2 it was just more of the same but longer and my attention span was gone after 5 minutes. I hope they are varied in surface and environment and not 30km of tedium.

I enjoyed the long stages in WRC as the background scenery and surfaces varied whereas as in DR and DR 2 it was just more of the same but longer and my attention span was gone after 5 minutes. I hope they are varied in surface and environment and not 30km of tedium.
Guess it depends if they continue with recreating real world stages, I hope they do personally, whilst the KT stages maybe had a bit more going on scenery wise, I much prefer the authenticity of DR2 stages. If they can get a blend of the 2 that would be ideal.

Guess it depends if they continue with recreating real world stages, I hope they do personally, whilst the KT stages maybe had a bit more going on scenery wise, I much prefer the authenticity of DR2 stages. If they can get a blend of the 2 that would be ideal.
Every few km they could have a billboard saying "Have you had your coffee today?" like on US freeways. Sweden was the worst for this. Miles of snow, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah - for me the stages, in terms of the stage scenery and the stage design itself, are the one area where KT had Codemasters beat. Literally everything else I’d give to DR2.0. The tarmac physics are close, too, but that stage design in the WRC games is just amazing. It does make a difference.

Yeah - for me the stages, in terms of the stage scenery and the stage design itself, are the one area where KT had Codemasters beat. Literally everything else I’d give to DR2.0. The tarmac physics are close, too, but that stage design in the WRC games is just amazing. It does make a difference.
WRC Generations nailed the tarmac feel, if EAWRC can get close to that with the gravel feel of DR2 then we’ll be onto a winner.

Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo is still king of tarmac rallying in my opinion though.

SL:RE is maybe the most underrated, unappreciated gem of a racer I can think of, Milestone lost the licence and released what felt like an absolute carnival of everything they’d learnt doing rally games. Massive long (and real, I think in some cases?) stages, good (and different) car list, good feel on tarmac especially, smooth, nice handling only slightly spoiled by ‘moon physics’ (but look at all the vids on Reddit, DR has that too). Good game.

Last edited:
SL:RE is maybe the most underrated, unappreciated gem of a racer I can think of, Milestone lost the licence and released what felt like an absolute carnival of everything they’d learnt doing rally games. Massive long (and real, I think in some cases?), good (and different) car list, good feel on tarmac especially, smooth, nice handling only slightly spoiled by ‘moon physics’ (but look at all the vids on Reddit, DR has that too). Good game.
It was fantastic, let down slightly visually and the audio was awful, but it had everything going for it elsewhere. Loved that game.

Don’t get an early puncture 😳
One great thing about DiRT Rally 2.0 was that when you learnt the stages you could forgo carrying a replacement tyre as it made the car lighter and more controllable. Looks like in this game I might need to start carrying two :eek:

Last edited:
If most of the cars of this scheme (+80%) that I prepared, came in the game (basic or DLC), I would be satisfied (many appeared in Dirt Rally, others in Dirt Rally 2, others in past Codemasters games and others in the series WRC (mainly Toyota).

Now it's time to wait.

Attachments

• RallyWRC.jpg
    RallyWRC.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Location list has possibly been revealed ahead of time. No confirmation but it’s believed to be correct. Also says that each rally will have 35km of unique road, so if it’s exactly 35km per rally that’s 595km at launch going to 630km with the Central European Rally coming free post launch. It also adds that each of the non snow rallies will feature the 4 seasons.

Chile
Croatia
Estonia
Finland
Greece
Iberia
Japan
Kenya
Mediterraneo
Mexico
Monte Carlo
Oceania
Pacifico
Portugal
Sardinia
Scandia
Sweden

It’s unknown what the regional rally locations will be. Iberia is certain to be Spain after the leaked achievement list. I’d fancy Oceania to be Australia or New Zealand, Scandia could be Norway or Arctic rally, Mediterraneo possibly Corsica? Can’t think of any other Mediterranean rallies that aren’t already listed. Pacifico, again, not sure, strong rumour has it pegged as Indonesia, my only doubt is that it’s only hosted 2 WRC events before, but perhaps it was already in development before the WRC license was confirmed.

Very good lineup of extra rallies though, with everything else expected due to the license. Sad to lose Scotland and Wales if this is the true list though.

35km per rally is about 15km more than DR2 and WRCG.

Last edited:
Location list has possibly been revealed ahead of time. No confirmation but it’s believed to be correct. Also says that each rally will have 35km of unique road, so if it’s exactly 35km per rally that’s 595km at launch going to 630km with the Central European Rally coming free post launch.
Curious, I would've assumed that there is variation regarding overall stage speeds, significant differences in some cases (Monte-Carlo vs Finland for example). In that regard some are going to take significantly longer to complete if they're all A->B... the way it's phrased, it could possibly mean a junction in one or 2 cases (again, MC as an example) resulting in A->B, A->C or B->C in terms of "full" route stages.

Regardless, I'm expecting this to be very hefty in terms of install size. Considering the comparatively miniscule stage lengths in DR2 and that this edition is getting 6 more stages (admittedly with the Rallycross elements removed) and I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up around the 150-200GB range, if not more...

Curious, I would've assumed that there is variation regarding overall stage speeds, significant differences in some cases (Monte-Carlo vs Finland for example). In that regard some are going to take significantly longer to complete if they're all A->B... the way it's phrased, it could possibly mean a junction in one or 2 cases (again, MC as an example) resulting in A->B, A->C or B->C in terms of "full" route stages.

Regardless, I'm expecting this to be very hefty in terms of install size. Considering the comparatively miniscule stage lengths in DR2 and that this edition is getting 6 more stages (admittedly with the Rallycross elements removed) and I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up around the 150-200GB range, if not more...

Yeah, the same was true with DR2, Monte Carlo could take a lot longer than Poland despite being much shorter. I’m looking forward to seeing the routes, I’m hoping they do the real stages again like DR2.

Location list has possibly been revealed ahead of time. No confirmation but it’s believed to be correct. Also says that each rally will have 35km of unique road, so if it’s exactly 35km per rally that’s 595km at launch going to 630km with the Central European Rally coming free post launch. It also adds that each of the non snow rallies will feature the 4 seasons.

Chile
Croatia
Estonia
Finland
Greece
Iberia
Japan
Kenya
Mediterraneo
Mexico
Monte Carlo
Oceania
Pacifico
Portugal
Sardinia
Scandia
Sweden

It’s unknown what the regional rally locations will be. Iberia is certain to be Spain after the leaked achievement list. I’d fancy Oceania to be Australia or New Zealand, Scandia could be Norway or Arctic rally, Mediterraneo possibly Corsica? Can’t think of any other Mediterranean rallies that aren’t already listed. Pacifico, again, not sure, strong rumour has it pegged as Indonesia, my only doubt is that it’s only hosted 2 WRC events before, but perhaps it was already in development before the WRC license was confirmed.

Very good lineup of extra rallies though, with everything else expected due to the license. Sad to lose Scotland and Wales if this is the true list though.

35km per rally is about 15km more than DR2 and WRCG.
I'm hoping Pacifico is magnifico and Oceania is even zanier...

Back