EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 2,778 comments
In WRC Generations the livery editor is good enough so you can make (and share) really convincing liveries like the Marlboro Toyota Corolla, the Martini Ford, etc etc etc. I think ultimately the livery editor here is just a bit "baby's first livery editor" which is ok for me because I've never used one before, but certainly impacts the quality of the custom liveries.

I have an issue with the editor which I'm sure affects others.

I feel that it needs a zoom in/out control like we have in freecam. When placing a small decal it can be too small to place accurately cos you can't see properly. Surely as it's already there in photomode we could have it in the livery editor?

Not sure how it'll work out AND if there is interest but ....

Nothing serious for the moment. Will put up a test stage somewhere this week. Dedicated to tarmac and the Stratos
For those that feel courageous....little test run is up...🥳

You can't put them in a videogame, but you can see images everywhere else that does depict them, that's what I mean
Quite a different thing altogether really. Comparing images or videos of something that already exists and can't be erased from history vs a current releasing product which needs to go through various approvals from brands, manufacturers, shareholders, ratings boards etc.

It is not your intent to advertise the product though... Surely there's some legal workaround?
I'd imagine it's fairly well established precedent at this point, it's not like they're the first game to want to do this. Besides, it's largely up to the ratings boards - what they say goes. If they don't want visual reminders of cigarettes, alcohol or whatever then they're entirely within their powers to put higher ratings on games that have them.

Game devs are just playing by the rules that they're given. They have no real power to change them, and attempting to skirt the rules on a technicality for something as unimportant as this is just going to create bad blood.

I don't know why this is such an issue. It's obvious why EA/Codies can't display certain brands or products.

When cigarette/tobacco brands can't even be on show in the shops that sell them (in the UK they are stored behind a cover or in drawers) then how do you expect media to be allowed to display them.

That's without mentioning that Cigarette brands can't even show their logo on the actual products either.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have the 555 Impreza's, Marlboro Mitsubishi's, Martini Lancia's and Rothman's Legacy's/Metro's/Porche's as much as the next person but we should all be used to the fact that it isn't possible anymore.

Last edited:
Besides, art of rally does it well.

"If you know, you know"

1700732532829.png

I don't know why this is such an issue. It's obvious why EA/Codies can't display certain brands or products.

When cigarette/tobacco brands can't even be on show in the shops that sell them (in the UK they are stored behind a cover or in drawers) then how do you expect media to be allowed to display them.

That's without mentioning that Cigarette brands can't even show their logo on the actual products either.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have the 555 Impreza's, Marlboro Mitsubishi's, Martini Lancia's and Rothman's Legacy's/Metro's/Porche's as much as the next person but we should all be used to the fact that that isn't possible anymore.
This is a clear and simple explanation, but it's so obvious why these kinds of logos aren't available in current games it shouldn't really need explaining. Won't stop some dim bulb piping up and saying they just want it to happen anyway, in the face of all the reasons why it won't.

Maybe we could focus on important things like fixing the AI, eh?

Maybe we could focus on important things like fixing the AI, eh?
Not to mention Clubs issues and setups not saving still!

With how effective the first two patches have been I'm hopefull things will continue to improve at a good rate though.

Last edited:
May have good news on that front, but need to double-check. I’m hoping the repair bug is fixed in next patch but can’t confirm until we write the patch notes.
Brilliant, Thats what we want to hear 😊👍

Thanks for keeping us up to date PJ.

I dont even drink or even smoke.

But for me Martini will always be associated with motorsport and those kickass lconic liveries rather than the alcohol drink itself.

I think most motorsport fans will think the same.

I haven't posted here in a while, but I just wanted to say that I'm really, really impressed with EA WRC so far. Feels absolutely fantastic on my little controller, and I haven't raced a single stage that I didn't like. I do think I got luckier than most people regarding the stutters and technical issues, I only have them very rarely (3060, 12400F) and I really like how the game looks, with one exception: night time doesn't feel dark enough. Is it only me?

Anyway, after 15h, I'm happy to say I'll probably spend hundreds more on this gem. And if the business plan is to make it a platform for updates as DLC instead of the "new game every year" model that the F1 series has, I'll be more than happy to keep supporting you - because that's always been my vision of an ideal rally game: a platform that's constantly updated with technical improvements, new cars, new rallies, new stages for existing rallies and so on.

I dont even drink or even smoke.

But for me Martini will always be associated with motorsport and those kickass lconic liveries rather than the alcohol drink itself.

I think most motorsport fans will think the same.
That's just really, really, really successful advertising. Incredibly successful advertising. They've got people like you clamouring to be advertised to despite having no particular attachment to the product itself. It's wild, considering how much advertising we're all already exposed to on a daily basis.

IMO, if the livery is a good one then textless versions like what PJ posted above from Art of Rally look cleaner and nicer.

In an ideal world I would rather motorsports liveries were not a giant mess of overlapping brand logos, but that's just sort of the way it ended up due to the realities of financing a motorsport team. I'm not sad when that doesn't make it's way into a game though, to me it's all the joy and beauty of motorsport without the relentless corporatism.

Or not as much, anyway. There's still more than enough branding in the game, starting with EA's relentless plastering their name onto every splash screen as if they're terrified we might forget who bought the studio that actually did the hard work of making the game.

May have good news on that front, but need to double-check. I’m hoping the repair bug is fixed in next patch but can’t confirm until we write the patch notes.
Any word on the AI fixes? I know you can't say for sure but is it a possibility fot the December patch?

Any word on the AI fixes? I know you can't say for sure but is it a possibility fot the December patch?
Of course he can't answer this until the patch notes are finalised. Maybe he could drop us a hint in a non-verbal way, perhaps by communicating through the medium of interpretative dance? :lol:

Last edited:
Stopped playing, because of the uncomfortable UI and the numerous bugs. There was a good functioning UI in DR2 but we got this.

It's not possible to use the UI only with my wheel sometimes I need mouse or keyboard. Also there are unchangeable mappings e.g. to an inverse Fanatec pedal which I don't have - WTF ??
And why have the buttons not only the numbers of the buttons to be clear? The UI shows me to use e.g. 2 down right buttons with different colors that are n.a. at my Fanatec button module.
I think the Devs don't know that the colors on the button modules are optional depending on the caps used :confused: and they used an advertising example pic to name the buttons :odd:

Last edited:
That's just really, really, really successful advertising. Incredibly successful advertising. They've got people like you clamouring to be advertised to despite having no particular attachment to the product itself. It's wild, considering how much advertising we're all already exposed to on a daily basis.

IMO, if the livery is a good one then textless versions like what PJ posted above from Art of Rally look cleaner and nicer.

In an ideal world I would rather motorsports liveries were not a giant mess of overlapping brand logos, but that's just sort of the way it ended up due to the realities of financing a motorsport team. I'm not sad when that doesn't make it's way into a game though, to me it's all the joy and beauty of motorsport without the relentless corporatism.

Or not as much, anyway. There's still more than enough branding in the game, starting with EA's relentless plastering their name onto every splash screen as if they're terrified we might forget who bought the studio that actually did the hard work of making the game.
Indeed not to mention the victories and championship winning also led to the alcohol brands and cigarette brands to advertise their products.

Look we are winners. Crazy how most of our iconic liveries all come from cigarette brands and alcohol brands.

If I had to name my top 10 liveries in motorsport it will most likely include martini and marlboro.

At the same petrol companies and lubricant brands also came with ironic liveries like Shell, Castrol and Mobil.

Indeed not to mention the victories and championship winning also led to the alcohol brands and cigarette brands to advertise their products.

Look we are winners. Crazy how most of our iconic liveries all come from cigarette brands and alcohol brands.

If I had to name my top 10 liveries in motorsport it will most likely include martini and marlboro.

At the same petrol companies and lubricant brands also came with ironic liveries like Shell, Castrol and Mobil.
Castrol, Repsol, Red Bull, Michelin, Petronas, probably the most iconic non-Tobacco/alcohol brandings?

I'll never forget standing in a line at school when I was in like year 7 and we were discussing F1. One of my friends at the time - and I distinctly remember this - said "I'm going to smoke B&H because they sponsor Jordan" and I remember thinking then and there, this is why cigarette/alcohol advertising is so dangerous and they ban it in so many countries (even then).

I mean, I have no idea whether my friend made good on his promise but it made me realise why they were so keen on banning it and I ended up smoking myself for like ten years so can't take the moral high ground, but I do understand why games can't really be seen to be promoting such brands either. Even back in the very early days - F1 on the original PlayStation - there was no tobacco sponsorship on the cars or hoardings but I definitely remember driving under big 'Fosters' banners in Melbourne. It's undoubtedly responsible for some iconic branding and liveries across motorsport over a lot of years and it is a shame from that perspective that we can't drive cars with those exact liveries. But I get it and it's been this way for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:
I'll never forget standing in a line at school when I was in like year 7 and we were discussing F1. One of my friends at the time - and I distinctly remember this - said "I'm going to smoke B&H because they sponsor Jordan" and I remember thinking then and there, this is why cigarette/alcohol advertising is so dangerous and they ban it in so many countries (even then).

I mean, I have no idea whether my friend made good on his promise but it made me realise why they were so keen on banning it and I ended up smoking myself for like ten years so can't take the moral high ground, but I do understand why games can't really be seen to be promoting such brands either. Even back in the very early days - F1 on the original PlayStation - there was no tobacco sponsorship on the cars or hoardings but I definitely remember driving under big 'Fosters' banners in Melbourne. It's undoubtedly responsible for some iconic branding and liveries across motorsport over a lot of years and it is a shame from that perspective that we can't drive cars with those exact liveries. But I get it and it's been this way for as long as I can remember.
I started smoking Marlboro and drinking Red Bull specifically because of F1 advertising.

I can't blame the Gin on race car advertising though....

Back