EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 2,675 comments
I’ve mentioned it before, but I’d give anything for

1. Toyotas - Celica, Corolla
2. Rally GB.

That’s literally all I want I think. I mean if I was being picky I’d be able to reel off about 200 more things, but in reality that’s all I really want in terms of extra content. I really miss a British rally badly.

What do you think they should change about career? For a start I know if I do a medium length event I'd like them to pick five stages at random from each location instead of the same five all the time.
You've nailed one point there, there needs to be more variation in the events, given the vast pool of stage/condition combos, it's disappointing that it doesn't vary. Also, there needs to be an option for realistic length, like WRC Generations by KT had, could have as many as 18 stages in an event and it felt like a real WRC challenge. I know it wouldn't be for everyone but it's a shame there isn't an option for it.

Then there's the structure, the calendar structure is a good idea but it's so poorly executed, forcing you to skip events thay you need to complete because of schedule clashes, needless roster events or garage expansion stuff, just so cluttered and unnecessary. If they want you to do multiple championships in a season, it should do it in a way that deliberately keeps them apart so you can do it instead of sticking to the same calendar season after season with all the championships available crammed into it.

I'd do it one of two ways. First way would be to imitate the F1 games, merge the concept of MyDriver and MyTeam together and focus on the WRC. So upgrading facilities, car performance/R&D, occasional invitational events but the core focus being the WRC. Like the F1 games you can choose where to start, JWRC, WRC2 or WRC. But then also the choice of whether we start our own team or drive for existing teams. Then at the end of each season we can either sign for a new team/promote up or create our own team/car. With more of a focus on WRC they could then implement more realatic elements such as choosing what rounds to compete in for the WRC2 campaign, perhaps being signed by a WRC team as a 3rd driver and running a part time campaign before signing a full season. Just really hone in in the WRC experience and make it as realistic as possible.

Option 2. If they insist on sticking with a calendar format and having chances to run multiple classes of car, then it needs to ensure clashes don't happen otherwise it's pointless. Structure the WRC events and slot the 2nd championship within that. Drop the benefactor stuff, let us buy and keep cars so we don't have to get rid of them to afford the new seasons cars.

For me, going towards the F1 style career mode is preferable. Then they can give us a really robust and content rich championship mode or historic mode alongside career. For this mode they could lean on Colin McRae Rally 2005 as a template. A pyramid of championships starting in slower cars and working up, adding difficulty and longer events as you progress. This would also then justify adding new historic cars and perhaps even non WRC locations.

Last edited:
Could just be me.. Still think the Tarmac handling has changed a bit tho. I've only played the same championship so far. Done it about 10 times in a row. Mentioned the wheel feedback because I wondered if they had reduced grip a touch to get rid of the snap loss and return of grip. Maybe done by changing the weight or downforce in the pyshics model and that might have affected the suspension feedback a touch?
Good game tho. Bit brutal at times!

Also finding the cockpit view better on PS5 so I also think there has been a change there. This was my biggest gripe and why I wasn't playing as much. Had to change the tv settings for different rally locations before due to the contrast being inconsistent and was struggling a bit with eye fatigue. Wouldn't say it's perfect however post patch I think it has improved.
Having put a bit of time into 1.5.1 now, I think they've definitely done something to tweak the tarmac handling. I can't put my finger on what exactly, but prior to the patch I used to have to back the rear sway bar and LSD locking on decel off massively to reduce snap oversteer. Now I can run on the default setup without too much trouble.

So whatever they've done, it's good!

Having put a bit of time into 1.5.1 now, I think they've definitely done something to tweak the tarmac handling. I can't put my finger on what exactly, but prior to the patch I used to have to back the rear sway bar and LSD locking on decel off massively to reduce snap oversteer. Now I can run on the default setup without too much trouble.

So whatever they've done, it's good!
Yeah it's that weird snap oversteer that's really almost gone. Can kinda power through a turn with the accelerator now without the fear that the car is gonna instantly do a flat spin you've no chance of pulling out of.
Turn in seems heavier and less twitchy too or something.

The vibration on tarmac is a bit of a ball ache though but you get used to it after a while.

You've nailed one point there, there needs to be more variation in the events, given the vast pool of stage/condition combos, it's disappointing that it doesn't vary. Also, there needs to be an option for realistic length, like WRC Generations by KT had, could have as many as 18 stages in an event and it felt like a real WRC challenge. I know it wouldn't be for everyone but it's a shame there isn't an option for it.

Then there's the structure, the calendar structure is a good idea but it's so poorly executed, forcing you to skip events thay you need to complete because of schedule clashes, needless roster events or garage expansion stuff, just so cluttered and unnecessary. If they want you to do multiple championships in a season, it should do it in a way that deliberately keeps them apart so you can do it instead of sticking to the same calendar season after season with all the championships available crammed into it.

I'd do it one of two ways. First way would be to imitate the F1 games, merge the concept of MyDriver and MyTeam together and focus on the WRC. So upgrading facilities, car performance/R&D, occasional invitational events but the core focus being the WRC. Like the F1 games you can choose where to start, JWRC, WRC2 or WRC. But then also the choice of whether we start our own team or drive for existing teams. Then at the end of each season we can either sign for a new team/promote up or create our own team/car. With more of a focus on WRC they could then implement more realatic elements such as choosing what rounds to compete in for the WRC2 campaign, perhaps being signed by a WRC team as a 3rd driver and running a part time campaign before signing a full season. Just really hone in in the WRC experience and make it as realistic as possible.

Option 2. If they insist on sticking with a calendar format and having chances to run multiple classes of car, then it needs to ensure clashes don't happen otherwise it's pointless. Structure the WRC events and slot the 2nd championship within that. Drop the benefactor stuff, let us buy and keep cars so we don't have to get rid of them to afford the new seasons cars.

For me, going towards the F1 style career mode is preferable. Then they can give us a really robust and content rich championship mode or historic mode alongside career. For this mode they could lean on Colin McRae Rally 2005 as a template. A pyramid of championships starting in slower cars and working up, adding difficulty and longer events as you progress. This would also then justify adding new historic cars and perhaps even non WRC locations.
Agree especially about the benefactor stuff.

I finished 2nd in the wrc constructors despite winning nearly every rally cause my team mate kept crashing.
Next season then I hadn't enough money to keep a team mate and had to get rid of him and half my engineers. Despite winning the drivers championship and finishing like 5 points behind toyota. So I started next season with one car and had to skip rallies to hire back staff and do special events to build up a tiny bit of budget. So now I've an even worse team mate and staff who are constantly knackered. It just felt like the whole concept doesn't work really.

I agree f1 type facilities would be a lot better and some light R&D stuff.
And being able to build up and up, eventually owning every car and having them all branded and stuff would be cool enough to work towards for some feeling of progression.

What do you think, will this game come to Game Pass?
Eventually, I don't see why not. I would guess a similar timeframe to other EA sports games, Whatever that might be.

If you like Rally games its worth the price though. Especially after the first two or three patches. The game is in a good state on all platforms and is packed with content. 👍

Eventually, I don't see why not. I would guess a similar timeframe to other EA sports games, Whatever that might be.

If you like Rally games its worth the price though. Especially after the first two or three patches. The game is in a good state on all platforms and is packed with content. 👍
I went ahead and purchased it yesterday, haven’t played yet. Missed out on the 50% off sale by a day but I don’t care, the game is a pretty decent price anyway. Glad to read your comments on the state of the game, I had held off buying it but figured CM are on the right track with it now after three patches or so. Looking forward to continuing improvement of whatever issues still ail this game, especially now that I own it 🙂.

I went ahead and purchased it yesterday, haven’t played yet. Missed out on the 50% off sale by a day but I don’t care, the game is a pretty decent price anyway. Glad to read your comments on the state of the game, I had held off buying it but figured CM are on the right track with it now after three patches or so. Looking forward to continuing improvement of whatever issues still ail this game, especially now that I own it 🙂.
Great to hear, Hope you enjoy the game! :cheers:

I’m getting the ‘neon yellow squares all over the track surface or side of the road’ glitch quite a lot at the moment. Hopefully this gets patched. Restarting the console does fix it, but that’s a pain isn’t it.

Now that the game is running fairly well and is definitely going in the right direction in terms of performance, what do people reckon will be next in line in terms of features added to the game?
up all ...
Something I dont see mentioned anywhere but I would REALLY like to see are the super special stages. They were in WRC Generations and I think it's a strange omission from a fully licensed game. I really enjoyed them in WRC G.

Just tried the new update for the last hour on ps5. Seems smoother again to me, can't fault it.
A change for me seems to be the vibration settings and trigger effects on the dualsense have been upped a lot, wonder if anyone else noticed this, feels different but good different.
Also I wonder if anyone else noticed a difference to handling? Especially on tarmac and noticeable under breaking. Feels slightly more controlled to me, more precise, brakes more forgiving. I dunno if that's just because the controller settings seem to have been tweaked. Might be in my head but I wonder if anyone else noticed. I'll have to try it on wheel later to see.
Today's moment with the gr yaris in monte feels noticeably different to me anyway.
Not too
I’m getting the ‘neon yellow squares all over the track surface or side of the road’ glitch quite a lot at the moment. Hopefully this gets patched. Restarting the console does fix it, but that’s a pain isn’t it.
I noticed those radioactive spillages once in Chile. Not scene since though.

Something I dont see mentioned anywhere but I would REALLY like to see are the super special stages. They were in WRC Generations and I think it's a strange omission from a fully licensed game. I really enjoyed them in WRC G.
100% yeah, was surprised they weren't included.

I've been playing a lot more lately. I really hope they get more funding and time from ea in future to make more of a game out of it because it is very fun but very bare bones.
Comparing this to older games like dirt 2, it's very like clinical from a UI perspective and has almost zero frills. Hopefully these frills like super special stages get slowly added in future.

Question for you lads using wheel.

What solution do you have for handbrake?
Getting a bit tired of fumbling about looking for the handbrake button on my t300 on hairpins, end up mashing buttons, changing view, turning on the beams instead and end up in the ditch.

Looking online and handbrake peripherals cost as much as wheels almost.
And I know you can use the sequential thrustmaster shifter as a handbrake but that's like 200 quid as well.
Is there any solution other than jery rigging something to mash r2 on a controller that won't empty your bank account?

Question for you lads using wheel.

What solution do you have for handbrake?
Getting a bit tired of fumbling about looking for the handbrake button on my t300 on hairpins, end up mashing buttons, changing view, turning on the beams instead and end up in the ditch.

Looking online and handbrake peripherals cost as much as wheels almost.
And I know you can use the sequential thrustmaster shifter as a handbrake but that's like 200 quid as well.
Is there any solution other than jery rigging something to mash r2 on a controller that won't empty your bank account?
I bought a reconditioned th8a direct from thrustmaster for £65 just before xmas & it works perfectly, it was probably just a customer return item.

There's a few on Ebay at the moment ranging from £40-£100.

If you're in the UK you can get one from CEX for £85 (last time I checked) with a 2 year warranty. (you can find the thrustmaster handbrake on their website aswell).

Regarding your original question, when I played the 5hr trial I either used the clutch pedal or swapped my clutch pedal input to the brake input & used the brake pedal as a handbrake.

When the kids played (they play in auto) I assigned the both paddles on the wheel to be the handbrake to give them an option to use either when handbraking while turning left or right, you could do the same with the closest thumb buttons aswell.

If you do buy a th8a you can use analogue mode but only if you're on PC, if on console you can assign gear 4 to handbrake using the rubber band trick & use the paddles for shifting, or using the th8a in sequential mode & use the paddles on the wheel as handbrakes.

Using buttons/paddles or the gear 4 trick will result in a digital on/off handbrake using a pedal will give you a analogue handbrake.

Last edited:
About to jump into the WRC in career mode, aside from moments and the demo club runs a few months back I've not really used the Rally1 machines at all. I faintly remember @RYAN mentioning something about the diff settings, anyone else have any tuning tips to share?

Comparing the 3 is incredibly difficult at the moment although initial impressions (and the TT leaderboards) suggest the Yaris has the legs over the Puma and I20.

I bought a reconditioned th8a direct from thrustmaster for £65 just before xmas & it works perfectly, it was probably just a customer return item.

There's a few on Ebay at the moment ranging from £40-£100.

If you're in the UK you can get one from CEX for £85 (last time I checked) with a 2 year warranty. (you can find the thrustmaster handbrake on their website aswell).

Regarding your original question, when I played the 5hr trial I either used the clutch pedal or swapped my clutch pedal input to the brake input & used the brake pedal as a handbrake.

When the kids played (they play in auto) I assigned the both paddles on the wheel to be the handbrake to give them an option to use either when handbraking while turning left or right, you could do the same with the closest thumb buttons aswell.

If you do buy a th8a you can use analogue mode but only if you're on PC, if on console you can assign gear 4 to handbrake using the rubber band trick & use the paddles for shifting, or using the th8a in sequential mode & use the paddles on the wheel as handbrakes.

Using buttons/paddles or the gear 4 trick will result in a digital on/off handbrake using a pedal will give you a analogue handbrake.
I genuinely never thought of assigning the clutch as the handbrake.
Rally 1 I barely use the clutch to be honest but it would be a trade off with older cars which need a fair amount of clutch.
Still, for a free solution that's a top idea
And I'll check out cex for a th8a. That in sequential sounds good.
Tbh I miss the simple gear knob on the old dfgt, simpler times!

I got into it for the first time this weekend and my first impressions are good so far, some courses are kind of boring but mainly because of the lack of things going on, can't remember the course, but it was mainly trees and rocks...barely any people are other things that I saw more of in WRC10... also not feeling the rain physics/dynamics.

Last edited:
Back