EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 2,639 comments
There's two "official" EA WRC clubs, WRC and Historic that you can freely sign up to. The former comprises the JWRC, Rally2 and Rally 1 machinery, Historic makes up every other class. Right now they're both running hardcore damage championships and the WRC club is mirroring the event schedule with the real life calendar.

What Joe is referring to is that they occasionally run a promotion for the WRC club whereby if you complete a single stage you can get a promo code for a free 3 month subscription to RallyTV (via Racenet). I did that a few days before Rally Sweden, I'm assuming it's the same "event" as it's still showing as active, however I faintly remember reading that there was a limited time/supply to it.
It was limited to 3,000 codes.

To be honest i think the performance was already bordering on perfectly fine pre-patch so its nice to see continued improvements even after they've reached the point where things are running respectably. The only issues I had were with the XSX version in Monte Carlo, on PS5 I already felt like stuttering was pretty much eradicated and tearing much less of an issue.

I really think genuine kudos to Codemasters for working so hard on improving this game over the space of so many months - I see people moaning on Reddit and really think they need to get a life. The same people probably who constantly berated Kylotonn to the point where they happily washed their hands of the franchise as soon as Generations came out. And don't even get me started on the Dakar Desert Rally sub. The game's pretty good, just enjoy it.

Started a marathon Monte Carlo Rally last night in my 06-liveried Focus WRC and was really happy with my run through the long stage, decent twisting through the dry asphalt bits then a bit trickier up into the snow but ending the stage with a PB and yet still only second, 2 seconds behind the leader but a whopping 43s up on the third placed driver. In my head I'm thus locked in a head to head with Loeb in the Xsara and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Because of the publishers/developers commitment to improving the game with post release patches I had the confidence to go ahead and buy the game a couple of weeks ago, and I am very very glad that I did, it’s a fantastic game.

To be honest i think the performance was already bordering on perfectly fine pre-patch so its nice to see continued improvements even after they've reached the point where things are running respectably. The only issues I had were with the XSX version in Monte Carlo, on PS5 I already felt like stuttering was pretty much eradicated and tearing much less of an issue.

I really think genuine kudos to Codemasters for working so hard on improving this game over the space of so many months - I see people moaning on Reddit and really think they need to get a life. The same people probably who constantly berated Kylotonn to the point where they happily washed their hands of the franchise as soon as Generations came out. And don't even get me started on the Dakar Desert Rally sub. The game's pretty good, just enjoy it.

Started a marathon Monte Carlo Rally last night in my 06-liveried Focus WRC and was really happy with my run through the long stage, decent twisting through the dry asphalt bits then a bit trickier up into the snow but ending the stage with a PB and yet still only second, 2 seconds behind the leader but a whopping 43s up on the third placed driver. In my head I'm thus locked in a head to head with Loeb in the Xsara and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Agreed there, I was thinking when playing it, This is the first performance update where I can barely see what's improved.

If I've to nit pick. The only issue I have is the ocassional green plasma all over the place on wet rallies.
Hopefully not far now from some new content 🤞

Funny, on the opposite end of the spectrum I was still having a nightmare with stutter and screen tear on XSX (and as someone else also said, I didn't even know what screen tear WAS before this game!) but this update seems to have all but cured it!

Funny, on the opposite end of the spectrum I was still having a nightmare with stutter and screen tear on XSX (and as someone else also said, I didn't even know what screen tear WAS before this game!) but this update seems to have all but cured it!
I feel like with each patch the balance of power between the PS5 and XSX versions has gone back and forth, and now finally they’re equal. I do feel the XSX version was performing worse up to this patch, in contrast to what it was like initially. The problem with the PS5 version now is still the green plasma glitch JoeJoeMofo mentions, which I’ve never seen on XSX but several times on PS5. Generally though, all is good now on both.

£15.73 on Steam Sale if you have EA Play. £17.99 without. Incredible value.

1710455298320.png

Last edited:
I see this is on for a nice price right now for PS5 and it sounds like it's much improved since release so I'll likely grab it. There's a 3 season pass add-on as well...that worth grabbing also?

I see this is on for a nice price right now for PS5 and it sounds like it's much improved since release so I'll likely grab it. There's a 3 season pass add-on as well...that worth grabbing also?
If I were you I'd get the game without, see how you get on with the standard rally pass first cause you can see what you would get with the premium tier and if you've any use for it. Its not like in f1 where you get pitcoin and boosts and stuff, thankfully it's purely cosmetic... for now.
If somehow you're tempted then get it. I suppose if you feel like tipping the developers you can get it. Personally I don't think it's a great sign how heavily discounted the game is already, I bet it didn't nearly meet its sales targets if that's the case.

Thanks for that. I grabbed it last night actually. I don't tend to go very deep with the rally games...really just do time trials usually as opposed to going into the career or full rally options. I spent about an hour playing around with it last night and I'm really pretty impressed. I think it looks and feels fantastic! Love the long courses too...

Not sure if there is a setting I am missing but it seems that generating a random championships in Quick Play only spits out the short to mid range stages and never the long ones? I know that you can go in and change the stages individually after it is generated, but still, something I noticed.

In any case, I created a custom championship manually with the longest stages from each rally... well, nearly all, there is a cap on the number of events... and had good fun doing all of those.

Not sure if there is a setting I am missing but it seems that generating a random championships in Quick Play only spits out the short to mid range stages and never the long ones? I know that you can go in and change the stages individually after it is generated, but still, something I noticed.

In any case, I created a custom championship manually with the longest stages from each rally... well, nearly all, there is a cap on the number of events... and had good fun doing all of those.
I noticed that just about all of the rallies generated in the two Quick Play championships I participated in were wet.

Yeah, I think the auto generation of events needs more options. So before you auto generate you should be able to select parameters like car classes (also selecting specific cars within the classes would be nice), start and end season for the championship, number of rallies, rally length and max stage length (short, medium, long). That way you could end up with a nice random selection without having to go in and edit each event, which isn't particularly easy to do.

So long. The improvement on asphalt is very evident compared to DR 2. And although the physics seemed better to me in this EA WRC, after 238 hours played... I returned to DR 2.0, and for me it is much more realistic. The weight, the skids, the inertia and especially the wheel locks are much higher in DR 2.0. This game is not bad, but there is too much grip for me. The Lancia Stratos is more real in DR 2.0. In EA WRC it is very easy to drive. There is almost no oversteer. I hope the next WRC looks at DR 2.0.

I genuinely still love DR2.0 and if both games were hanging off the edge of a cliff and I had to save only one of them, I think I’d struggle to choose. DR2.0 is such a brilliant package, it has Rallycross, Wales, Scotland, Australia, Germany, better graphics, better performance, more interactive elements on the stages. But I’ve also kinda seen all there is to see of it, whereas there’s so much scope with the newer game - more cars, more locations, more customisation, and the promise of more coming….plus I think the physics are better. Settings tweaks really make a massive difference, the cars feel more alive which is why it’s a shame the stages themselves don’t. But it’s the promise of more to come that keeps me coming back to EA WRC, even if I’m happy to keep going back to DR2.0 whenever I feel more like playing that one. They compliment each other well. Few shared locations, different feel, I’m not going to stop playing either for some time.

I genuinely still love DR2.0 and if both games were hanging off the edge of a cliff and I had to save only one of them, I think I’d struggle to choose. DR2.0 is such a brilliant package, it has Rallycross, Wales, Scotland, Australia, Germany, better graphics, better performance, more interactive elements on the stages. But I’ve also kinda seen all there is to see of it, whereas there’s so much scope with the newer game - more cars, more locations, more customisation, and the promise of more coming….plus I think the physics are better. Settings tweaks really make a massive difference, the cars feel more alive which is why it’s a shame the stages themselves don’t. But it’s the promise of more to come that keeps me coming back to EA WRC, even if I’m happy to keep going back to DR2.0 whenever I feel more like playing that one. They compliment each other well. Few shared locations, different feel, I’m not going to stop playing either for some time.
Those of us who tried to complete the recent Corsica event in the GTPlanet club would rather you didn't mention edges of cliffs... Thank you.

Last edited:
Currently on sale £18 xbox store, also Sebastien Loeb Rally £1.60

Edit: looks like it's a game pass subscribers deal only, ends in 9hrs

Always the base game and never the DLC 🤷‍♀️ I got this on PS4 but re purchased cheap on Xbox, been waiting for about 2 years for the DLC to go offer, never does..

SLRE runs a bit better on PS4 anyway. I bought the Xbox version on the cheap ages ago and felt like it wasn't quite as good somehow, both a bit choppy and not as suited to the controller. Might have imagined the difference but I've put a lot of hours into it on PS4/5 and still love it. And yeah, the base game being so cheap is a bit misleading when all the DLC remains full price!

SLRE runs a bit better on PS4 anyway. I bought the Xbox version on the cheap ages ago and felt like it wasn't quite as good somehow, both a bit choppy and not as suited to the controller. Might have imagined the difference but I've put a lot of hours into it on PS4/5 and still love it. And yeah, the base game being so cheap is a bit misleading when all the DLC remains full price!

Funny you should say that. I'm playing it on SX therefore should run at it's best, and I much prefer the Xbox controller yet it just different feel as good as on PS4 with that controller... 🤷‍♀️

A quick rant about game pricing. This not only applies to EA WRC but other games as well.

EA WRC has improved greatly, but its launch condition was marginal at best. Meanwhile less than 6 months later you can get a much improved game for half the price. Large portions of the game were unplayable until Jan-Feb with patches 1.4 and 1.5.

How about throwing some bones to those that pre-ordered and/or picked this up early and coped with all the issues. Like future free DLC, or immediate access to the collectibles instead of dealing with the XP.

A quick rant about game pricing. This not only applies to EA WRC but other games as well.

EA WRC has improved greatly, but its launch condition was marginal at best. Meanwhile less than 6 months later you can get a much improved game for half the price. Large portions of the game were unplayable until Jan-Feb with patches 1.4 and 1.5.

How about throwing some bones to those that pre-ordered and/or picked this up early and coped with all the issues. Like future free DLC, or immediate access to the collectibles instead of dealing with the XP.
It's the other way round, because maybe you (and I :grumpy: ) payed the full price -> we get nothing extra. Only the people which are not so interested get the 50% off prices and don't have to figure out the problems and bugs.

BTW: After a pause of 2 month I tried today the official WRC Club Croatia Rally (only the 1st stage) and it's really smoother than before but unfortunately, the hybrid tech is still not properly implemented. Graphics are quite ok and the stutter was only on some hairpins. I didn't know the stage but I liked it (my time was only 14:56 with standard setup, best time is 13:03)
I can't help but tarmac feels not really good and the FFB also misses a lot of information. If I compare it to AMS2 or rFactor 2 there are worlds between WRC and the other two sims.

Last edited:
I bought it full price on both consoles and now it's on sale for a few magic beans. I try not to think about it really. It's annoying but it happens sometimes. I'm usually terrible at judging when to buy games. If I buy something full price, especially on Switch, its an unwritten rule that the following day it'll be on sale for £3.49 and I'll spend the day crying.

The way I see it I paid for early access. I had an extra six or so months playing the game which I've pretty much thoroughly enjoyed. I guess I was lucky because I didn't encounter as many bugs as some users.

Last edited:
Back