Eddy's PVC Rig from start to finish - (Inspired by SIMUL8R) - Now with Insturctions!

• Thread starter SlowEddy
  • 284 comments
Anyone have the correct measurements for the hard mount points for the steering wheel portion of the G27 or for the shifter part for that matter?

I've gone to Logitech's site and looked at the templates they've provided, but the measurements seem to be 'off' compared to when I check them against my unit and I'm not sure why. I pulled the pedal base off already and used it to make my template for mounting them. They are good to go. I just hadnt hard mounted the wheel, just used the regular removable clamps to hold it on as well as the ones on the shifter.

I'd appreciate the help if anyone can give me (or confirm) the measurements they used and did when hard mounting thiers to the boards. I'm just confused why the measurements are different between mine and whats on the site.

Thanks for any help.

Andretti

Andretti, I used the templates' measurements off of the logitech website for my g27. It should be correct so try measuring again. I only used the hard mounts for the pedals and the steering wheel because the shifter is really solid with the clamps and the screw on thier own.

Great design guys! I'm building a PVC rig myself, inspired by simul8r's and EDDY's design! What's bothering me is that I've spend almost 300 euros (almost 200 for the pvc parts which I found to be quite expensive here in Paris and almost 100 on the bucket seat which didn't seem expensive) and now I've found a playseat on ebay for 350 plus shipping! (I can't even find U bolts here...)

I just wanted to know is the pedal mount strong enough to hold clubsports? (I've read that the brake to be fully operated needs to be pushed quite hardly)

looking good guys!!!!

the pedal mounts I use hold up just fine ( 2 pieces of press wood with only 1 u bolt holding each piece to the frame. as long as you glue / bolt together all the PVC parts you shouldn't have a problem

72730_468176539123_504169123_5453135_6828351_n.jpg

and just an FYI, I fixed the thumbnails and links for the Drawings in Post #2
the rest of the pictures should show up in the middle of this month when my bandwidth gets reset

Hi,

Awesome cockpit design Eddy and simul8r! Thanks to both of you for sharing your plans, it's really helped a lot. 👍

I'm about to start my build, and my Fanatec Carrera arrived yesterday :)

After a trip down to the DIY store, they said they didn't have any PVC pipe, only plastic waste pipe, but it seemed like the same thing.

LINK: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Waste-Pipe/invt/160074

I stood on this pipe, and it seemed fairly sturdy and didnt bend a lot either.

The one thing that worries me is that this 40mm pipe is only £1.05 per metre, whereas 40mm PVC pipe off the internet is way more expensive........will this do the job?

Slow_Eddy (and SIMUL8R), thank you so much. I like so many others have been inspired to take on this awesome project.

I do have a couple questions regarding the rig's overall height. More specifically, I need to make mine sit higher off the ground given my 40" TV is mounted on the center of the wall in my man cave. The TV is on a tilt mount, but even tilted all the way down, it is not natural to look up. I really don't want to move the TV, so I'm looking to move the seat up.

Any ideas on a good way to get this thing about 2 feet higher? Seems as though I'm risking losing stability if I add more to the initial design (like PVC legs). Maybe it'd be easiest just to build a box out of 2X4's and plywood the height I am looking to raise it? Given the creativity flowing through this thread, I figured I'd get some input before rushing into it. Thanks to anyone in advance!

-Shane

Hi,

Awesome cockpit design Eddy and simul8r! Thanks to both of you for sharing your plans, it's really helped a lot. 👍

I'm about to start my build, and my Fanatec Carrera arrived yesterday :)

After a trip down to the DIY store, they said they didn't have any PVC pipe, only plastic waste pipe, but it seemed like the same thing.

LINK: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Waste-Pipe/invt/160074

I stood on this pipe, and it seemed fairly sturdy and didnt bend a lot either.

The one thing that worries me is that this 40mm pipe is only £1.05 per metre, whereas 40mm PVC pipe off the internet is way more expensive........will this do the job?

hmmm i would suggest looking at 50mm pipe (40mm PVC is fairly small and will most likely have some flex to it),

Slow_Eddy (and SIMUL8R), thank you so much. I like so many others have been inspired to take on this awesome project.

I do have a couple questions regarding the rig's overall height. More specifically, I need to make mine sit higher off the ground given my 40" TV is mounted on the center of the wall in my man cave. The TV is on a tilt mount, but even tilted all the way down, it is not natural to look up. I really don't want to move the TV, so I'm looking to move the seat up.

Any ideas on a good way to get this thing about 2 feet higher? Seems as though I'm risking losing stability if I add more to the initial design (like PVC legs). Maybe it'd be easiest just to build a box out of 2X4's and plywood the height I am looking to raise it? Given the creativity flowing through this thread, I figured I'd get some input before rushing into it. Thanks to anyone in advance!

-Shane

I would say my butt is just over 1 foot off the ground with the current setup I have. getting an extra 2 feet off the ground is pretty high. i would say the box frame would be the way to go ( you could also stick a sub-woofer / butt-kicker underneath it too.)

Slow_Eddy,

If your just over a foot off the ground now, I would probably only need about 10-12 more inches of seat height. I want to avoid the wooden box if possible.

Do you think the design could be altered in a way to just raise the steering wheel and pedals, and build a riser platform underneath the seat? This would look cleaner I think and still allow the rig to detach.

The concern I suppose is if the longer PVC pieces for the supports would allow flex. Let me know what you think. Since you have a 3D-Rendering is it possible to quickly plug in some different numbers and mock this up? I would gladly send you a pay-pal donation for your trouble!

Thanks!

-Shane

Just my $0.02, but I think raising either (or both) the seat or steering wheel would be easy. You could legnthen pretty much any of the risers in the front for height. In the area where the seat mounts (if you do it the way eddie built his) all you'd have to do is turn the t's that run on the outside of each side of the rig to point more skyward or just add legnth to the piece that connects them to the hight you'd like.

Be careful though....if you do one, you'd likely need to do both...raising the seat much and the steering wheel mount will be into your knees or even lower. It already is pretty low as it is designed (though thats the way I like it).

Just a thought. I'll let the experts chime in and watch with interest.

Andretti

Andretti,

I am thinking about raising both the seat and wheel mount/pedal mount as you described, I'm just unsure of the angles up front to achieve the same overall feel (seat to pedal angle and distance).

I am gonna try and sketch something up but I figured slow-eddy's rendering would allow for more precise estimation.

Slow_Eddy,

If your just over a foot off the ground now, I would probably only need about 10-12 more inches of seat height. I want to avoid the wooden box if possible.

Do you think the design could be altered in a way to just raise the steering wheel and pedals, and build a riser platform underneath the seat? This would look cleaner I think and still allow the rig to detach.

The concern I suppose is if the longer PVC pieces for the supports would allow flex. Let me know what you think. Since you have a 3D-Rendering is it possible to quickly plug in some different numbers and mock this up? I would gladly send you a pay-pal donation for your trouble!

Thanks!

-Shane

just out of curiosity how far off the ground is your T.V?
mine is sitting just under 3 feet (32" to be exact) off the ground.

i think i can get the seating height and steering wheel an additional 6" max off the ground (just a guesstimation). with out any major modifications.

an extra 10-12" tho is going to require a little more work - ill have to look into it

but do tell me how far off the ground your T.V is

Slow_Eddy (and SIMUL8R), thank you so much. I

-Shane
I'm leaning towards having the rig attachable to a box or another PVC stand. You may decide to use another monitor setup lower than what you are currently using at some point and if you permanently redesigned the rig higher, well, you may find yourself doing the opposite now. Actually, another PVC stand would probably be best since it would be lighter and easier to store away than a wooden box unless you can use another coffee table. :)

NOTE: Inserting images seems to be a difficult process for me here but if you post your question @ lumenlab I can come up with a quick sketch of what I'm thining of.

Slow,

The bottom of my screen is exactly 48" off the ground, I do have some adjustably with the tilt mount, but looking straight forward is most natural

Shane

Edit: Simul8r I did post this same question on lumenlab

Last edited:
Some bad news, I no longer have a valid license for the program i used. i am working on fixing this problem, but it could be a while till i have any solid 100% accurate solutions for you.

but it any case my initial idea for raise the seat was a fairly simple one. however it would only result in a increase in height of about 6" (my guess)

For the seat base assembly: (see marked up drawing)
-Increase part #7 to about 7-8"
- this would also require a change in the angle of the seat platform since it is raised much higher now.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/edguna1/GT5%20Project/?action=view&current=GT5PVCSEATBASEMkIIheightmod.jpg

For the front assembly
Increase the length of parts 11 & 12 to raise the steering wheel

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/edguna1/GT5%20Project/?action=view&current=GT5PVCFRONTASSEMBLYMkIIheightmod.jpg

another question, would you want the rig to be portable? / easy to move around?

because another alternative solution would be to build or purchase a flat top trolley / cart and just stick the rig on top of that. that should give you an additional 6 - 8" depending on the size of the wheels.

Flat_Mat_Trolley.jpg

^^^ something like this

Awesome rig SlowEddy, thanks for putting in the time to create the plans too!

I think I'm going to build this one, but probably just the front half, with extended support pipes that will run under the couch a bit for stability. Then I'm hoping to make the wheel mount area extendable so I can move it from couch/tv to office chair/pc :)

Simul8r....the recommendation of using those 'clamp' styled fittings was god sent.

When I attached the pedals, I only did the two brackets at the end and the pedals dont move at all. For the steering, I could only use two, but once again, they proved so sturdy (so far, testing has begun) that I havent added anything else to keep the wheel in place.

There is a reference to the clamps you used, versus the U-bolt clamps Eddy used. But I dont see in the thread what Simul8r explained what they were? Those wider clamps definitely would be more secure.

Also materials list? I can read Eddys blueprints to get the PVC/Wood stuff but I didnt seem to note the basic hardware used anywhere.

There is a reference to the clamps you used, versus the U-bolt clamps Eddy used. But I dont see in the thread what Simul8r explained what they were? Those wider clamps definitely would be more secure.

Also materials list? I can read Eddys blueprints to get the PVC/Wood stuff but I didnt seem to note the basic hardware used anywhere.

I used them to attach everything I could that I thought needed support that was big enough. I used two for the top board that the steering wheel connects to, then I used two for the board I used to attach the pedals (so four in all as I used typical u bolts to hold the shifter on). I did mine the way Eddie did his where there are two T's instead of just one. The thing is, due to the clamp size, I could only fit on two (without modification to the build). I was concerned, but after attaching for a test run, I realized they'd do fine. So yhey do a phenominal job and I'd really recommend using them.

I got them at Home Depot. Here is a link to them: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100374928/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Let me know if you'd like to see pics. I can flip it upside down if you'd like to see how I used them if you think it'd help. Due to the size of them, I didnt really like the idea of using them for the shifter mount.

Other materials?

6 U bolts.
-2 hold on the shifter mount.
-4 hold on my seat.

4 'Simpson Tie's
-used as described above

16 bolts used to attach the Simpson clamps.
-Not positive on size of bolts or nuts (3/8ths?), but just test fit them to make sure legnth and size work for whatever board. I also got them with flat heads so they dont stick up and are flush with the board surface.

(6) 5/16ths bolts
4 hold my seat on (your legnth may vary due again to board thickness.
2 are 4 1/2" long and are used to attach and hold the two segments together on mine. I wanted to be able to seperate the cockpit for aid in moving if needed.

8 bolts that screw into the pedals and steering wheel to hard mount them. again...legnth varies based on board thickness. Steering and pedals are M6 sized bolts.

Only bolts that I cant remember were the ones I used to build the shifter. They are flat headed and are deep enough to cover the thickness of the one board and go into the second board about 3/4 inch. Loosely, thats about it.

Andretti

Last edited:
I used them to attach everything I could that I thought needed support that was big enough. I used two for the top board that the steering wheel connects to, then I used two for the board I used to attach the pedals (so four in all as I used typical u bolts to hold the shifter on). I did mine the way Eddie did his where there are two T's instead of just one. The thing is, due to the clamp size, I could only fit on two (without modification to the build). I was concerned, but after attaching for a test run, I realized they'd do fine. So yhey do a phenominal job and I'd really recommend using them.

I got them at Home Depot. Here is a link to them: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100374928/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Let me know if you'd like to see pics. I can flip it upside down if you'd like to see how I used them if you think it'd help. Due to the size of them, I didnt really like the idea of using them for the shifter mount.

Andretti

Thank you for the quick reply. I now know what they look like and what the general description is. They are not available to me locally at my three home depots (go figure) but I can print a picture out and ask around at Lowes or Menards as well.

When you screwed items together, 1/4 hardware was used?

For those who like carbon fiber looking stuff...I bought quite a few yards for car application so far from here...this is not as nice as the 3M stuff but it works pretty well and pricing is pretty good...Carbon Fiber Fabric Interior Trim Wrap. You can also specify if you want a huge piece on a roll so a few yards...

The PVC rig is nice, but I was also thinking of getting the obutto. Although this would be a fun DIY project as well though!

Noticed your edit Andretti, thanks for the additional information.

Not a problem. I noticed, when reading closer, I hadnt answered your questions very well.

Let me know if you need any photo's or any additional info. I know I went through probably 8-10 u bolts to get mine done. This was because once I installed my seat, for it to move I had to cut them all down to a height so they wouldnt interfere. That helped, but created a new problem. When I took them off (and the board) so I could paint everything, I couldnt get them reattached because I had cut them off when they were tight and was unable to get enough thread through during re-assembly.

The second time I just painted the uncut u bolts, then assembled everything, THEN cut it for the final time. Realize this may have just been a problem that only I had due to the seat I used. I'm sure others have avoided this problem.

Andretti

Not a problem. I noticed, when reading closer, I hadnt answered your questions very well.

Let me know if you need any photo's or any additional info. I know I went through probably 8-10 u bolts to get mine done. This was because once I installed my seat, for it to move I had to cut them all down to a height so they wouldnt interfere. That helped, but created a new problem. When I took them off (and the board) so I could paint everything, I couldnt get them reattached because I had cut them off when they were tight and was unable to get enough thread through during re-assembly.

The second time I just painted the uncut u bolts, then assembled everything, THEN cut it for the final time. Realize this may have just been a problem that only I had due to the seat I used. I'm sure others have avoided this problem.

Andretti

I think my biggest task will be finding the Simpson clamps. Those are BEEFY and what I want. I am going to source all my parts so I can get it all at once.

Did you just spray paint with Krylon or something? A plastic specific paint? Or does PVC require something special for paint to adhere?

I think my biggest task will be finding the Simpson clamps. Those are BEEFY and what I want. I am going to source all my parts so I can get it all at once.

Did you just spray paint with Krylon or something? A plastic specific paint? Or does PVC require something special for paint to adhere?

Oh, crap. I forgot to mention that.

I just used 2 or 3 cans of Krylon paint on the boards. Realize that I didnt use "PVC", I used "ABS" which is already black. It enabled me to not have to spend even a 1/3rd of the time painting. I do read that it is suppose to be possibly more brittle of a type of plastic than PVC, but I've not seen anything to indicate that is true or even if it is, that there is any possibility of anything cracking or breaking.

All in all, I'm really happy with mine, but I must admit there are two things I'm debating about 'modifying'. One is the board the steering wheel connects to. I made it rather large so I could set stuff on it if needed. It works great that way....only since it is at a slight angle, if I set my controller or something else plastic on it, if I'm not careful, it will slide off. I might cut two thin strips of board and glue them to the edge closest to me if I'm sitting in it. That way, anything tempted to slide will stop before falling off.

second, I'm noticing a lot of soreness in my hips. I wont blame the pedals completely, but it definitely is speeding up my consideration of inverting them and remounting in a more 'ergo-dynamic' style. I'm betting its actually from my tensing up as I drive like a bat out of hell.

Bracket wise....where do you live?? I've got two left over. I might be able to be persuaded to send them to you and pick up a few more for you if your having that much trouble finding them...but I wont eat alot of shipping if your in the antartica or something. :P I'd think though you could order them from Home Depot pretty easy.

Andretti

Oh, crap. I forgot to mention that.

I just used 2 or 3 cans of Krylon paint on the boards. Realize that I didnt use "PVC", I used "ABS" which is already black. It enabled me to not have to spend even a 1/3rd of the time painting. I do read that it is suppose to be possibly more brittle of a type of plastic than PVC, but I've not seen anything to indicate that is true or even if it is, that there is any possibility of anything cracking or breaking.

All in all, I'm really happy with mine, but I must admit there are two things I'm debating about 'modifying'. One is the board the steering wheel connects to. I made it rather large so I could set stuff on it if needed. It works great that way....only since it is at a slight angle, if I set my controller or something else plastic on it, if I'm not careful, it will slide off. I might cut two thin strips of board and glue them to the edge closest to me if I'm sitting in it. That way, anything tempted to slide will stop before falling off.

second, I'm noticing a lot of soreness in my hips. I wont blame the pedals completely, but it definitely is speeding up my consideration of inverting them and remounting in a more 'ergo-dynamic' style. I'm betting its actually from my tensing up as I drive like a bat out of hell.

Bracket wise....where do you live?? I've got two left over. I might be able to be persuaded to send them to you and pick up a few more for you if your having that much trouble finding them...but I wont eat alot of shipping if your in the antartica or something. :P I'd think though you could order them from Home Depot pretty easy.

Andretti

I appreciate all the helpful information. I am going to physically go to the hardware stores over the weekend. If I cant find them or something very similar I will take you up on your offer.

Also I am puzzling over "adjustments" myself. I really would like the steering wheel and the foot pedals to be angle adjustable. I have a few small ideas but that also leads to a trip to the hardware store to see what I can rummage up.

Thanks again!

I appreciate all the helpful information. I am going to physically go to the hardware stores over the weekend. If I cant find them or something very similar I will take you up on your offer.

Also I am puzzling over "adjustments" myself. I really would like the steering wheel and the foot pedals to be angle adjustable. I have a few small ideas but that also leads to a trip to the hardware store to see what I can rummage up.

Thanks again!

sounds good. Please post completed pics so I can steal any ideas I think might work for me too!!

Good luck. Its actually fun to build.

Andretti

Andretti

Andretti, when I first saw the final version of your rig I noticed you used the Simpson ties for your pedal platform as well. I was wondering when you might be experiencing some of the discomfort you mentioned since the ties do add more to that angle due to it's design. In my original rig I readjusted and screwed the board to go underneath the front pipe rather than above and found the angle better and less strainuous to my ankles and shins. I also suggested this in my Lumenlab thread which you must have missed. I would expect with the ties reversed you could bring the angle of the pedals even further down which I trust you will find more to your liking.

The original simul8r design began at the Lumenlab site in which I responded to Andretti and helped him come up with more up to date way to mount the steering wheel and maintain its tilting adjustability rather than using U bolts.

As much as I do respond to builders inquiries mostly at Lumenlab I do, occasionally, drop by here to Eddy’s thread to assist others but I’m limited in posting pictures and such compared to Lumenlab.

Back