Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test

• Thread starter cdcdude
  • 436 comments
Because he works for fanatec and i think there's a rule against advertising or something.

Bingo. He knows better.

Hopefully he'll get it sorted out with Jordan, so he can post here. If not, you'll all just have to keep watch of his blog.

;)

Because he works for fanatec and i think there's a rule against advertising or something.

He is not some drone that just "works" for Fanatec, he is actually the CEO of Endor AG and Fanatec.

The fact that the CEO of a gaming product company himself actually care enough to participated in gaming forums like this to provide support, to me is a good enough gesture that the company actually care about its customers.

I wonder if KY himself post here and ask for testers will he get the ban? or if the CEO of Logitech post here ask for testers will he get the ban?? I doubt it.

Personally if I run a forum, a major gaming product company actively seeking testers because he thinks the members in my forum is knowledgeable and knows a good deal about racing games, I would consider it a compliment. IMO, the ban gesture is basically a slap in the face for the receiver.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
He is not some drone that just "works" for Fanatec, he is actually the CEO of Endor AG and Fanatec.

The fact that the CEO of a gaming product company himself actually care enough to participated in gaming forums like this to provide support, to me is a good enough gesture that the company actually care about its customers.

I wonder if KY himself post here and ask for testers will he get the ban? or if the CEO of Logitech post here ask for testers will he get the ban?? I doubt it.

Personally if I run a forum, a major gaming product company actively seeking testers because he thinks the members in my forum is knowledgeable and knows a good deal about racing games, I would consider it a compliment. IMO, the ban gesture is basically a slap in the face for the receiver.

My 2 cents.

Anyone who seeks to divert our userbase to their website for their own purposes without first getting approval from Jordan will be banned for advertising. This includes you - if you continue to post messages Thomas has sent you containing links to his site (effectively permitting him to post messages for which he was banned), you will also be banned for advertising.

It is extremely rude to say the least to assume that, if you're big enough and important enough, you don't have to get permission from a website's owner before hawking your wares.

On another note which PS 3 titles is compatible? I am trying the GRID DEMO and the F1 CE demo but don´t get it recognized correctly...

It is extremely rude to say the least to assume that

Your right. I wanted to use GTP for my socom clan name and tag, so I asked jordan first out of courtesy. I could have used it anyway but didn't.
At the same time though, he is giving information that most of the people on this site is very interested in. It seems like fanatec could go about the way he posts on here in a different manner, and still get his message conveyed.

On another note which PS 3 titles is compatible? I am trying the GRID DEMO and the F1 CE demo but don´t get it recognized correctly...
I've played a ton of GRID and FI CE with the Porsche wheel on my PS3. Not sure what issues you're having, but FFB works on FI CE after the patch introduced earlier this year, and GRID just works (I think it thinks it's a G25 in the menus IIRC? I'm onto Ferrari Challenge now...)

have you tried the grid demo? Can someone please do? Is there any setup you need to do to your bluetooth devices to get it to work? I mean it identifies some axis and the buttons work most of them anyway...

no luck with motorstorm demo either... Is there any demo where this wheel surely works pedals, force feedback everything :)

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried the grid demo? Can someone please do? Is there any setup you need to do to your bluetooth devices to get it to work? I mean it identifies some axis and the buttons work most of them anyway...

no luck with motorstorm demo either... Is there any demo where this wheel surely works pedals, force feedback everything :)

Have you tried DiRT?

Anyone who seeks to divert our userbase to their website for their own purposes without first getting approval from Jordan will be banned for advertising. This includes you - if you continue to post messages Thomas has sent you containing links to his site (effectively permitting him to post messages for which he was banned), you will also be banned for advertising.

It is extremely rude to say the least to assume that, if you're big enough and important enough, you don't have to get permission from a website's owner before hawking your wares.

I am not sure how my opinion of doubting a certain scenario will or will not happen is being consider rude, yet again I can't control how people feel. Lets face it, I am not a model citizen among this community because I like to voice my opinions and I don't play to the crowd and kiss babies.

As forum member I am disappointed on how things are handled. Yet again nobody really cares what I think anyway, so no harm done.

Thanks for the heads up. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried burnout paradise demo... Of course it stinks using a wheel but force feedback and pedals was working there... Both clutch and brake pedal functioned as brakes :D. It had some force feedback though the crappiest ffb I ever witnessed. But should hopefully work with GT 5P and maybe even motorstorm when I get the full games...

Do the G25 work with the GRID, motorstorm demos?

Do the G25 work with the GRID, motorstorm demos?

It works with the grid demo. The h pattern works, I think I remember the clutch working, but can't remember for sure. I bought grid and the g25 is really hard to drive with. You really have to exaggerate your steering in the game. I had to turn off the 900 degrees to even be able to try and play the game.

900 degrees is unplayable in just about every sim as well... Need to be able to run crazy locks like 35 at least to compensate :).

As for GRID I have the PC version... I run 150 degrees lock to lock also tweaked the sensitiivty settings;). 180 is tolerable but more is impossible for me. Wished I had a G25 so I could just test if it worked in the demo...

For all gamepad optimized games and most arcade racers that is a pro tip. Run less lock. In Sega Rally Revo I run 70 degrees to be as competitive as possible.

My 2 cents.
To clarify, I have no issue with using GTPlanet to interact with their customers and get feedback on their products. Thomas crossed the line when he blatantly posted links to his company's website in a new thread, asking for only two beta testers among community members with which he had already established relationships. I have discussed the issue directly with Thomas, who acknowledged the stark difference between these two types of messages. He will be allowed to return to the site under a different username, but advertising will not be tolerated by him or anyone else.

Now let me also clarify something please ;)

I am looking for new testers and need 2 testers for this forum for each new product so at least about 10. It does not mean that just because we already have testers for the last test that we don't need more.
I guess it is clear where to register, otherwise please ask somebody else for a link as I don't dare to put any link into this forum anymore. (But any of my new posts will have to be approved by the moderators anyway and will be censored if they dislike it)
Perhaps it was also a misunderstanding to a certain degree and perhaps I would have appreciated some direct and civilized communication before I get banned.

Beside that I see the point of Jordan and will follow his rules as it is his website of course.

Now lets forget about this and concentrate on the topic of this post again as this whole discussion is OT.

Oqvist: Please don't forget to press the buttons to switch to PS3 mode.
Motorstorm does not work with any wheel and with F1 you have to download the latest patch and reduce the sensitivity. If you play GT5:P please do NOT reduce the sensitivity. It works best with 900°.

Good to have you back :)

Thanks Thomas. I tried the PS 3 mode too of course but seemed to be the same. As for patches I assume you can only patch full games so probably that... I will get GT 5 Prologue hopefully today so will see for sure if it works as it should :D.

Thomas- speaking of other PS3 games, do you find that the wheel works better in GT5:P and Ferrari Challenge in 900 setting in the wheel, or in "off" setting? Doesn't off allow the game to control the rotation setting? I've tried both in those two games, like a 900 wheel (or high degree of rotation), but have trouble deciding the difference/preference between 900 and off settings on the wheel.

Thomas- speaking of other PS3 games, do you find that the wheel works better in GT5:P and Ferrari Challenge in 900 setting in the wheel, or in "off" setting? Doesn't off allow the game to control the rotation setting? I've tried both in those two games, like a 900 wheel (or high degree of rotation), but have trouble deciding the difference/preference between 900 and off settings on the wheel.

There should be no difference between those 2 settings on PS3. This only makes a difference on PC because the "900" setting would overwrite the driver setting.

Welcome back, Fanatec.

I went ahead and signed up for Beta testing. Looking forward to (i.e eagerly awaiting) hopefully trying out some products and writing up some reviews.

You've really hit on something with the new pedals, and the Xbox 360 wheel. Will the new high end pedals be compatible with all three wheels (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)?

Also very interested in hearing more news about the new cockpit. Looks like Fanatec has a lot of good products on the horizon. Xbox 360 owners should especially rejoice at the possibility of a full 900 degree wheel.

;)

Don't know if this has been posted since there's 16 pages to muddle through but can the porsche shifter be mounted to something other than the wheel. I have a racing seat which can support the g25 shifter to either side.. could it be used with the 911 wheel?

Thanks

I believe they fixed that problem. You should be able to mount the shifter anywhere you want.

Anyone want to confirm this?

;)

The rennsport table clamp still have bars to attach it to the side of the wheel. You get a bit more freedom but you still mount it beside the wheel. If you do have the playseat evo you will find that it´s better to have it beside the wheel... Though the table clamp is of real steel so I doubt playseat can cope with it very well unless you solder the wheel clamp :).

It works great with my nixim cockpit though and highly recommend it if you run from a desk or something. Adjustable angle really helps with ergonomics :)

Okay so I finally got GT 5 Prologue... First GT5P didn´t find my internet connection. It detected the wheel and everything worked great.

Then all of a sudden it obviously detected my internet connection and downloaded the update... Since then I can´t get the wheel recognized. It works in the menu as long as I am NOT going into PS 3 compability mode. But when racing it doesn´t detect a single, button, axes on the wheel no matter what mode I try.

As for the slow Suzuki I tried I am not that impressed really. Surprised despite Forza 2s lack of cockpit and poor wheel their driving model feels much more alive. There is like there isn´t any suspension modelling at all and the driving is almost robotic in nature... Need more time with it but for that I need to get the wheel working again. Was a bit surprised there was no G25 selection available.

Okay so I finally got GT 5 Prologue... First GT5P didn´t find my internet connection. It detected the wheel and everything worked great.

Then all of a sudden it obviously detected my internet connection and downloaded the update... Since then I can´t get the wheel recognized. It works in the menu as long as I am NOT going into PS 3 compability mode. But when racing it doesn´t detect a single, button, axes on the wheel no matter what mode I try.

As for the slow Suzuki I tried I am not that impressed really. Surprised despite Forza 2s lack of cockpit and poor wheel their driving model feels much more alive. There is like there isn´t any suspension modelling at all and the driving is almost robotic in nature... Need more time with it but for that I need to get the wheel working again. Was a bit surprised there was no G25 selection available.

There is a firmware update on the Fanatec support site that fixes this. Apparently it was quicker for them to deal with the changes Polophony put into GT5P: Spec III update on their end with the wheel firmware then to request another update from the developer. I don't have a link handy here at work, but I've downloaded the update to the wheel and all works fine with GT5P now.

PS- forgot to mention, you might want to rent or pick up Ferrari Challenge on the PS3. I was a big fan of GT5P but felt a little something was lacking, similar to your comparison to Forza (which I also liked a lot, and perhaps would have even more had it had cockpit view!) Anyway, the graphics are not as nice on FC as GT5P, but the feedback through the wheel and handling model is sweet! Try it out.

I would if it wasn´t for blimeys ferrari project lol.
But yeah surprisingly good critics if you see what system 3 have done before...

Don't know if this has been posted since there's 16 pages to muddle through but can the porsche shifter be mounted to something other than the wheel. I have a racing seat which can support the g25 shifter to either side.. could it be used with the 911 wheel?

Thanks

ButtkickersonPlayEvo.jpg

I just made a box out of aluminum to set the shifter in. I lined the inside of the aluminum box with velcro and bolted it to the shifter bracket. Then I velcro the bottom and side of the shifter and pushed it down into the box. This made for a nice tight fit with no movement. Simple and cheap ($8 for supplies).

PS- forgot to mention, you might want to rent or pick up Ferrari Challenge on the PS3. I was a big fan of GT5P but felt a little something was lacking, similar to your comparison to Forza (which I also liked a lot, and perhaps would have even more had it had cockpit view!) Anyway, the graphics are not as nice on FC as GT5P, but the feedback through the wheel and handling model is sweet! Try it out.

Hi Mike, thanks for the tip. I've been playing GT5P and i was debating on what i should get for my 2nd game. I'll try Ferrarri Challenge.

Hi Mike, thanks for the tip. I've been playing GT5P and i was debating on what i should get for my 2nd game. I'll try Ferrarri Challenge.
Well, Sim Racing Tonight did a review online and didn't like it much at all, and I have to say I agree with them on several points. They said the one redeeming factor was the level of the force feedback, which was my main draw to playing the game. But as for fun factor, it's not really tops, and the physics leave some to be desired. I'd say rent before you buy.

snazzykewl
I just made a box out of aluminum to set the shifter in. I lined the inside of the aluminum box with velcro and bolted it to the shifter bracket. Then I velcro the bottom and side of the shifter and pushed it down into the box. This made for a nice tight fit with no movement. Simple and cheap ($8 for supplies).
I did something similar but maybe even simpler. I also have the Playseat Evo with the optional G25 shifter holder. I put my Fanatec 7GS H shifter on there with double-stick tape on the bottom, and then two very tight black zip ties strapping it to the holes in the shifter holder metal. I'll snap a pic later and repost. Very solid now. Cost, almost nothing.

Also, for those interested in the new Fanatec products including the 3- system high-end wheels (PC, PS3 and for the first time, Xbox 360, all in one wheel!), there is a new comparison chart they posted on the beta testers blog area of all the models and options HERE

Bad choice. But unfortunately, there is no other option.

They said the one redeeming factor was the level of the force feedback, which was my main draw to playing the game.
Simply make the game not playable with a racing wheel.

Last edited:
Back