Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test

• Thread starter cdcdude
  • 436 comments
Some games send out telemetry data. We calculate the point when the tyres lock by comparing the tire speed against the car speed. The more tires lock, the bigger the vibration.

GT4 did send out telemetry data as well but we did not find this data in GT5:P so far.

Most racing games on PC will support this feature like GTR2, Race07, GTlegends, iRacing, rFactor, Live for Speed, etc.
And the Xbox 360 games, with the PWTS?.

Some games send out telemetry data. We calculate the point when the tyres lock by comparing the tire speed against the car speed. The more tires lock, the bigger the vibration.

GT4 did send out telemetry data as well but we did not find this data in GT5:P so far.

Most racing games on PC will support this feature like GTR2, Race07, GTlegends, iRacing, rFactor, Live for Speed, etc.

Will Arca 08 be on this list? It uses the same engine as r-factor.

Will you guys think you will get any data from FULL GT5 game you think? Do you have any relationships from PD? Why not send them letter regarding the brake feedback feature so that they can include it out of the box? It would be great to see FANATEC wheel in GT5 Options menus.

By the way, on the Plastic Porsche pedals, everyone is saying the break and Clutch have the realistic feel to them, with the CLUBSPORT pedals it seems its all spring action, does the Clutch and brake has realistic feel other then the Force Feedback brake pedal?

We are working on console titles as well and we have a direct contact to Polyphony. But on console titles it is a bit more complicated as those features are not integrated in the console protocol yet.

The feeling of the clutch on the Clubsport pedal is different from the standard pedals and perhaps some people will prefer the standard pedals but the feeling of the brake is sensational. Especially the feature that you can adjust your brake power directly on the pedal.

New Drivers have been released. I'm about to install them on Vista 64 ultimate...

http://www.911wheel.de/
post feedback in Thomas' thread on the main page linked above

Fanatec...
Please try out the the new version 082 of the PW driver. These are the things which changed:

* Fixed bug with Autocentering in rFactor
* rFactor display support
* Added GT3RS and PWC menues
* CSP support
* Map vibration to the revs instead of Gas
* map vibration to indicate shifting point

Known Issues which we are working on

* 64 bit signature
* Vista problem: Game controller does not show axis or buttons when pressed
* shifting indicator not working properly

Please let me know your feedback right in this thread.

Does the new Driver works well with GT5P?
REVS vibration features.. thats for PC games only?

I dont know if it reacts to GT5P, i doubt it ATM. but with rFactor, you can set the wheel to vibrate more when you get in higher revs instead of how much throttle you use. also, you can set the LED to flash (it flashes too slowly to get my attention:P) when you are approaching the rev limit, to show gear, or to show how fast you're going.

looks like my post got deleted on that page... i guess it was too long or something -_-

I just got this wheel and I am having some trouble with it. It came with two dongles, and I couldn't figure out why. Basically the first one seemed to work, as both the pedals and the wheel connected to it, but they failed to work in a GT5P race. The start, circle, and arrow buttons, plus a few others seemed to work, but the wheel and pedals did nothing, though the pedals did cause the wheel to vibrate.

Then I tried the other dongle, which I was able to pair the wheel with. The wheel did work, steering the car, but the pedals failed to pair and did not turn the red light on.

If anyone can offer any help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Yes I do know how to activate PS3 mode, and the wheel itself works fine and steer the car. But the pedals won't seem to pair with the dongle, as the red light does not light up, either with batteries, connected via PS/2 to the wheel, or both.

The other dongle pairs with both, as both the white and red lights stay on. But it won't work for racing controls, so I can navigate the menu and press the start button to bring it up during a race, but the pedals do not increase the throttle and the wheel does not turn the car, though pressing the pedals causes the wheel to vibrate. And on that dongle, PS3 mode only causes the wheel not to work at all with the PS3.

I've also set the date back to November 2007.

Last edited:
If you have a wheel from the very fitst series (pre May 2008) you need a new firmware on the dongle. This is only for the 911 Turbo wheel. The 911 Turbo S wheel does not have any compatibility issues.

Yes well I downloaded the updater (Version 14.05.2008), and it says "No device detected"

EDIT: I've resolved the problem. The pedals simply weren't pairing with the dongle, but I got them to eventually.

Last edited:
You probably looked at the wrong manual to bind them. Please make sure you are in the support section of the PWTS and not the PWT ;)

Firstly I have a Porsche 911 Turbo wheel and I love it so far, the FFB is sensational! But I'm having trouble initiating clutch mode in GT5P... I do it after the countdown and it never works, but I'm only using the paddle shifters at the moment. Also the buttons tend to be very unresponsive at times (especially the arrow buttons), and can tend to lock in the game. Maybe these problems are linked, but I never have any problem using the triangle button for reverse in automatic mode.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Firstly I have a Porsche 911 Turbo wheel and I love it so far, the FFB is sensational! But I'm having trouble initiating clutch mode in GT5P... I do it after the countdown and it never works, but I'm only using the paddle shifters at the moment. Also the buttons tend to be very unresponsive at times (especially the arrow buttons), and can tend to lock in the game. Maybe these problems are linked, but I never have any problem using the triangle button for reverse in automatic mode.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

In GT5P it all depends on the car you are driving. Some cars have a clutch. Some don't.

dont you have to hit the triangle or what it´s after you started a race to enable clutch support?

Yes, you do have to hit triangle after the race starts, but if the car doesn't use a clutch in real life, then the car in the game won't use one either.

I need help, I had a PWTS and try to connect to a PS3 60GB with an GT4 game and the USB cable, can I do it? The Fanatec wheel was OK in forza 3, so I will also try it on the PS3, how about the game setting in the options what controllers to use, both the controllers and the steering? DRIVING FORCE PRO or GT FORCE ? And other great tip, It's my firs steering wheel!

it should work okay. I played GT4 w/ my PWTS. Unfortunately, tech support is taking some time to get back to me about my failing pedals :/

I just bought this wheel but cant seem to figure out how move around in main menus of games with it like forza 3. what buttons are used for arrow keys besides the quick shifters that scroll bout 4 at a time

Right above the start and back button is the directional pad. It's at the bottom of the wheel, and it;s pretty cleverly hidden.

Right above the start and back button is the directional pad. It's at the bottom of the wheel, and it;s pretty cleverly hidden.

and easily one of the worst directional pads ever...

Personally, I swap out the wheel for the controller when in the menu (between races, or working in the Livery Editor). I only use the wheel D-Pad when I absolutely need to.

;)

and easily one of the worst directional pads ever...

Personally, I swap out the wheel for the controller when in the menu (between races, or working in the Livery Editor). I only use the wheel D-Pad when I absolutely need to.

;)

Hi Delphic, how do you use both the wheel and the controller? Do you have to turn off the wheel first and then turn on the controller? Or can we use them both at the same time?

Hi Delphic, how do you use both the wheel and the controller? Do you have to turn off the wheel first and then turn on the controller? Or can we use them both at the same time?

If talking 360, then I'd say he was full of bologna with that statement.

You would have to turn the wheel off and then turn the controller on. Then vice-versa. That is FAR more inconvenient than the Porsche wheel's dpad.

I think on the PS3 (probably depends on the game) you can have both functioning at the same time, and picking up the controller for navigation is a pretty available option. Still though...

The dpad on the wheel isn't a great one by any stretch, but it isn't THAT bad, and it isn't like you are playing Street Fighter with it. I have had no problems using it for whatever game navigation required (Navigating the on-screen keyboard for msg'ing on the other hand...:banghead:, but the same can be said about the actual MS dpad as well).

:odd:

Back