FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, when less than 20 players make it into the lobby, the game will nonetheless list a points table that runs down from 1st-20th. But the actual points table only runs down from 1st-19th (or however many players make it into the lobby), and this often reduces the points on offer across the board because for some reason, they made it so that the average DR calculation determines points gained per player beat.

Just one more reason why we need a reconnect option. It's not fair on those left in the lobby that they end up racing for less points because it isn't a full 20 player field.

Sometimes, when less than 20 players make it into the lobby, the game will nonetheless list a points table that runs down from 1st-20th. But the actual points table only runs down from 1st-19th (or however many players make it into the lobby), and this often reduces the points on offer across the board because for some reason, they made it so that the average DR calculation determines points gained per player beat.

Just one more reason why we need a reconnect option. It's not fair on those left in the lobby that they end up racing for less points because it isn't a full 20 player field.

They could code something up to enable this before a certain time cutoff I guess. It is annoying they can't show the points correctly in game when a player disconnects, there must be some point at which if a player disconnects they're considered to have raced, which could trigger a recalculation if necessary? Like after the race starts?

It would be good to know what actually causes a disconnect. Is there some kind of network "health" threshold that gets exceeded resulting in a DC or is it just caused by bugs. If its bugs, I wouldn't hold out much hope for any reconnect code working as designed either.

The right way in my opinion to start a standing start race when you're in the middle of the pack , reducing your path according to the flow , staying in your line , taking care to not provoque accident that would ruin your and other players race is totally wrong .
There will be always others drivers behind you that will try to take advantage of the situation , bumping you , ramming you , breaking your car .....
I will not do this anymore , if i have to wreck my car , this will be my fault , nevermore. You have to be agressive in the middle of agressive people to survive. This is the only way .

Got your point of view and subscribe to it 100%, but that wasn't my "target"!
The guy started on the left side of the track, lost traction right at the race start, made a 180° spin and came in front of me, on the right side of the track, I was right in his back at start, we both were at the wrong place at the wrong time, I don't blame him at all, it was a race incident, in a real life race these stuffs happens once in a while.
My point was that we're not professional race drivers and this is a video game tho, that's why they came up with this "ghost" system, to minimize these incidents and it's adjustable to keep everyone happy , it's all I said ! :)
Sorry for the long explanation, english is not my first language and maybe I wasn't very clear from the first post, hope I was now! :)
Cheers!

so here's how i got on in yesterday's races

i have a tendancy to qualify fairly well round Nürburgring GP and then throw it away in the race, so i was hoping to break that record. qualified 4th, got an ace start and was up to 2nd, but then totally missed the braking point for T1 and ended up 18th and last going into T2 with suspension and aero damage. well played nick, well played. recovered a few places over the opening lap as i got stuck behind an ongoing battle between about 5 cars so pitted on lap 3 so i could switch to mediums and run to the end and undercut the big group of cars - it kind of worked as it wasn't until the final lap that they caught up with me again, and despite some questionable driving from one of them i ended up 9th, so top half from last isn't too bad

this was possibly the most boring race i have done on GT Sport. most people picked the Toyota S-FR, and apart from one guy who took pole in the X-BOW everyone else quit, so only 13 people actually started. i qualified 6th, and apart from a couple of brief moments on laps 1 and 2 down at the hairpin, was always 6th and finished 6th. at least when we've had one makes recently (e.g. the Mini Coopers) they've been fun cars to drive, but this S-FR was just slow and boring. and to add annoying icing to the bland cake, because only 13 people raced the points on offer were rubbish, so i didn't even beat any of my previous results for the season, so the race counted for absolutely nothing 👍

won't be racing in the next round of FIA races as i'll be watching the mighty Brentford beat Arsenal instead, so only one more chance to boost my ranking now!

They should really ghost everyone in qualifying so that one's qualifying is solely determined by one's driving. It's so annoying fighting your way through traffic when on a fast lap, or when you have to race slower drivers (who usually start playing bumper cars by the time you are trying to go around them).

Also, I've noticed some drivers are playing bumper cars the second they set a very fast lap to protect their starting position.

As for heavy damage in race, it hasn't really made a difference in how aggressive drivers are, in my view.

Have been hit on lap 1 from behind in the last 2 Fia races and because damage is on, that was race over both times. Great.

The concept of damage being on is good, but in its current form, it is very much not ready to be in this game. I say this because the damage is way over the top in this game, a small bump does not do that much damage in real life racing.

People will never all slow down enough to make allowances at turn 1, so with damage on, the race result is not based on skill but on luck. Why bother spending time practicing and taking it seriously, if it can all be taken away by someone else’s mistake after 5 seconds in the race?

Have been hit on lap 1 from behind in the last 2 Fia races and because damage is on, that was race over both times. Great.

The concept of damage being on is good, but in its current form, it is very much not ready to be in this game. I say this because the damage is way over the top in this game, a small bump does not do that much damage in real life racing.

People will never all slow down enough to make allowances at turn 1, so with damage on, the race result is not based on skill but on luck. Why bother spending time practicing and taking it seriously, if it can all be taken away by someone else’s mistake after 5 seconds in the race?

My guess (and hope) is, if the penalty serving system which was used in Salzburg will come to sport mode, it will make THE change.

This is last wednesday's Nations Cup race. I messed up my qualy so it was full of action from start to finish!
The points are being reaaaally low in the american region!

This new tire management is making things more interesting. Just like in real racing, the driver with the fastest lap isn’t necessarily the winning driver. And it’s actually people further back because the leaders are trying to make sure their tires have enough life left at the end!

When PD combines tire management with fuel saving, it’s going to cause many mental breakdowns and I’ll definitely be one :boggled:

Races will be much less predictable, both for players and spectators 👍

Ehhh not necessarily. The fastest people are also likely to be the people with the greatest knowledge of fuel saving and tyre saving.

All that will happen is a race where people are afraid of overtaking because fuel and tyre saving is more important, which already is what often happens

The Citroen standings are hilarious. I can only make 2 races this test season... but there's a chance I can place 1st overall haha.

citroen.PNG

This new tire management is making things more interesting. Just like in real racing, the driver with the fastest lap isn’t necessarily the winning driver. And it’s actually people further back because the leaders are trying to make sure their tires have enough life left at the end!

When PD combines tire management with fuel saving, it’s going to cause many mental breakdowns and I’ll definitely be one :boggled:

This is why I think, at least when FIA races are being held, the weekly/daily races should be the same. This way more people can get practice and the FIA races will be more competitive and "hopefully" cleaner.

Keith.

Seems like the FIA Manufacturer Gr.3 race at St. Croix will require some hard thinking on tyre strategy for qualy.

Qualify > Tested with the Porsche, the Mediums with x13 wear and provided that you take it casual on the first lap, will give you only one lap of optimal performance. AND off course after the out-lap, flying lap and the in-lap, there won't be enough time left for fresh tyres with another outlap and flying lap, so with mediums it seems like one chance / lap to set a qualify time. With Racing Hard, although slightly slower on performance, will give you two flying laps, although with the 10 minute barrier for qualy, two flying laps will not accommodate any hold ups on track.

Any thoughts ?

Have not tested for race conditions yet, but the x13 tyre wear seems to be a challenge on it's own.

Anybody know the race strategy for tonights manufacturers? Is it just using the RH tyres with a pit on lap 4/5? Or will the RM tyres last long enough to make them usable in the the race?

I was thinking I would try the RM for the qualification and then maybe for 1 stint in the race?

Anybody know the race strategy for tonights manufacturers? Is it just using the RH tyres with a pit on lap 4/5? Or will the RM tyres last long enough to make them usable in the the race?

I was thinking I would try the RM for the qualification and then maybe for 1 stint in the race?

Tire wear was changed with today's update so I have no idea atm.

Mediums only give you 1 flying lap in Q before coming to the pit and change tires. But I don't know how the tire change in Q affect the tires you start the race with. Yesterday in a lobby I had a bug where I had hard tires in Q but started the race with mediums... lap 4 I spun because I was trying to push it as much as I could to make a 1 stop. Hard tires were (up to today's update) the best choice for the race.

I haven't tried a mix of hard + mediums though. Maybe that's another option.

Qualified 5th in Nations this time only to get killed on turn 2! This is beyond a joke now, every time there's an accident in the field it's always me who takes the damage. It's getting to a point where I don't even know if I want to play this game anymore because all of my efforts to practice for a potentially fun race go unrewarded.

Last edited:
In my race, everybody was lagging. So once we all got t turn 1 after the grid start it was like the apocalypse and it ended up being piledrived into turn 2.

If its like that in every lobby then this game is not worth playing

Me and OTT got screwed over hard lol
I wouldn't even be mad if this was a one-off event, but for me this feels like every other race these days. How am I always so unlucky? I know this game has so much potential to be fun online but I don't get to have that fun. I can't trust anyone behind me to drive clean anymore. I never get to race the best drivers even when I've qualified well, because something always has to happen. It's the reason why I've DNF'd several races recently, and the reason why I'm barely clinging on to A+ when I should probably be over 55k.

I just hope I can finally have a fun race with the best at the Tokyo event. Surely the driving standards have to be higher there, right?

I wouldn't even be mad if this was a one-off event, but for me this feels like every other race these days. How am I always so unlucky? I know this game has so much potential to be fun online but I don't get to have that fun. I can't trust anyone behind me to drive clean anymore. I never get to race the best drivers even when I've qualified well, because something always has to happen. It's the reason why I've DNF'd several races recently, and the reason why I'm barely clinging on to A+ when I should probably be over 55k.

I just hope I can finally have a fun race with the best at the Tokyo event. Surely the driving standards have to be higher there, right?
hope so man, either way i'm sure it'll be a fun experience :D grB mixed with that track just doesn't go well haha

I know how ya feel, was screwed over in final season due to server issue first race got 0 points then just constant dirty stuff here and there, reason why i didn't finish within the top 30

Make that three ruined FIA races in a row. Yes, somehow despite St Croix being wider than a freeway and despite me again leaving all the room that I can, someone STILL manages to drift out wide enough to shove me into the wall on the exit of turn 1.

This is why we cannot have heavy damage in Sport mode. These races would've still been fun to at least try and salvage something from had I not picked up lasting damage from the incidents. But since I was damaged, I either had to lose seconds per lap or take an unplanned pit-stop. Either way, the result is trundling around at the back.

Scored a big 0 in nations.

Wasnt pushed off or anything like that. Completely my doing, I think. I just wasnt feeling it - not 100% and no real motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back