FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be avoiding the Off Season races and championships until I hear reports about heavy damage actually having a positive effect on driving standards. Because that Manufacturers race I've just done was a yoke! Divebombs for the lead essentially 30 seconds into the race causing major damage :lol:

Some of the driving I saw in that midpack wasn't even worthy of SR B either. We've seen that people who didn't do a lot of Test Seasons tended to be better for the Official Season, worth thinking about for next year.

Will be avoiding the Off Season races and championships until I hear reports about heavy damage actually having a positive effect on driving standards. Because that Manufacturers race I've just done was a yoke! Divebombs for the lead essentially 30 seconds into the race causing major damage :lol:

Some of the driving I saw in that midpack wasn't even worthy of SR B either. We've seen that people who didn't do a lot of Test Seasons tended to be better for the Official Season, worth thinking about for next year.
I have to agree with you on this. I did the first 2 rounds in Manufacturers, and both races I was taken out in T1 from someone halfway down the pack missing their braking point on lap one. Totally ruined the races. Hopefully by the time the official season starts, people will have figured out how to drive, or the damage has been adjusted or removed. I for one like it, but I don't like the other drivers (much like driving to work in real life :lol::banghead:)

At some A and lower lobbies I'm not surprised as it seems / sounds as most are not even aware of heavy damage and it will probably take more than a season to let them become aware of it. I am bit surprised to see it's happening at top level too.

At some A and lower lobbies I'm not surprised as it seems / sounds as most are not even aware of heavy damage and it will probably take more than a season to let them become aware of it. I am bit surprised to see it's happening at top level too.

Problem is made worse by using reverse layouts. None of them have any natural overtaking spots and less reference points for braking and turn in. Now the track count is going up there's no need to artificially inflate it with silly layouts :lol:

There's takeaway lessons from Salzburg that I simply need to apply. It's back to FIA racing and crossing my fingers I survive the first few corners. Barely had enough time to test out the Nations layout yesterday and haven't touched Manu. This will be fun. :lol:

admittedly I really messed up today in the nations, quite nervous after qualifying P9 in a top split, managed a clean turn 1 but whilst trying to spot my marker for T2 and be aware of everything else I just missed it, tried to avoid any contact but inevitably knocked into another play, no damage for either of us but I fell right down the order and felt like kicking myself!

back to the drawing board!

If you think Hard tires are a good idea for the Manuf. race, don't. I thought it would be enough and started dead last in a lobby of S/S drivers (6 of the top10 in the current season leader board).

IMG_20180926_203209.jpg

Pole was 2:08:080 for Oscaro_Indyfood.

Still happy I could save the race... Finished 7th and could have gotten 5th but derek was a bit too aggressive on the defense move and I went a bit wide in the second to last corner of the last lap while trying to overtake him on the outside.

Couldn't save the replay but here's the race from my POV.

I started quite smooth due to the heavy damage but I had no idea I would gain 10 positions on this track and against this competition.

Last edited:

After Manuf. race I'll follow this ^ advice. Qualified 2nd, down to 12th on first corner with major damage, limping to pits, got up to 10th only to be divebomb again, so another pitstop and then from last to ending 15th. Not much fun, so will wait to see if things getting better with HEAVY DAMAGE

Somehow everything went wrong.

I wanted to start qualy with RM, bud did start with RH (because I had to go to bathroom immediately, and so had no time to make the setup before qualy start...)

Got damaged in qualy and had only 1 fast lap -> 9th

Race: got damage front and rear in lap 1 at the turn right to the bridge because got ramed from behind and therefore was pushed to the guy in front-> lost concentration and so at the outcome of the same turn I crushed into the narrowing corner of the bridge-> total damage everywhere.

Now 8 laps to go after repair, took RM because I thought they would last when I do 2x4 lap- stints with them. Of course wrong idea -> the last stint I had to switch back to RH. 14th in the end...

Somehow everything went wrong.

I wanted to start qualy with RM, bud did start with RH (because I had to go to bathroom immediately, and so had no time to make the setup before qualy start...)

Got damaged in qualy and had only 1 fast lap -> 9th

Race: got damage front and rear in lap 1 at the turn right to the bridge because got ramed from behind and therefore was pushed to the guy in front-> lost concentration and so at the outcome of the same turn I crushed into the narrowing corner of the bridge-> total damage everywhere.

Now 8 laps to go after repair, took RM because I thought they would last when I do 2x4 lap- stints with them. Of course wrong idea -> the last stint I had to switch back to RH. 14th in the end...
Still beat me...

Serves me right for going in with minimal practice, quali wasn't great and the race was going well till I hit the exit barrier on the entry to the bridge, was just a lapse of concentration, and tried to take the hard tyres 6 laps to the end but was ice skating on that last lap so in the end P17

Well, the gr B race was a big scarecrow tonight, as I read here, but to my surprise, I had a good clean race tonight! In both race !
Was it the heavy damage effect? Everyone was careful and not interested at all in any kind of contact, both race was with Grid start, but nothing bad happened at the first corner after start, in both races !
I did good on both race, a good day and honestly I'm still surprised a little, didn't had yet a clean race day like today !

Anyone who watched Tidgneys stream knows how today went for me:

>First race in 2 weeks
>Sticks the 650S on pole
>Gets punted off Lap 1 👍

I urrr... think I'm gonna dip out again until they sort Heavy damage out :(

Qualifying now allows drivers to complete the lap if they cross the line before 00:00
I wish I knew this before the race :lol:

Anyway, did only Nations today. I dunno, I had a gut feeling that something bad would happen in the Manu Cup so didn't do it. Anyway, onto qualifying!

I thought I had this ingenius quali strategy that could give me a good lap time but then no one pitted until Lap 6 or so :lol: I pitted on Lap 3 so tires can't be all that bad.

I crossed my final lap with :10 remaining on the clock so I proceeded to drift in T1, until I saw that the timer was reset to 1:30ish. Rumors suggest that a big loud "NANI" soundwave rattled the Philippines that night...

But it's not all that bad. Qualified 6th with a 54.982 which was way faster than what I expected. Race starts and it's a ferocious battle for 5th! T1 L1 I was beautifully overtaken on the outside by stray_cat123, and GTIC_cuan was hot on my tail. stray was battling someone else in 5th but I wasn't able to peek at their name :(
I tried to make a move on stray and...! hot damn his defense is amazing! I couldn't get past at all. That move allowed cuan to get right back on my tail and at that moment, I knew I was driving a defensive race from then on despite stray never straying farther than 8/10ths ahead.

On the last lap I can feel that cuan would make a move on me any second now, and sure enough at T2 he moved right up to my inside during braking, but I still had the lead. Now, this is one of those anime moments where everything goes slow-mo and then I remember some words that my friend told me:

"I just drift my way through T2 and 3. It's so hard to keep it together there I tell you"

KANSEI DORIFTŌ!!! Yes, I drifted to keep my position :lol::lol::lol: the most amazing thing was that there was no contact through this whole thing. While I didn't really expect a contact in the first place because I knew my drift would be at an angle that wouldn't touch cuan, special props to him for not just barging past me :D

Though he ended up passing me anyway one turn later since I washed really wide :lol: I did save a replay of this, except that it was only 5 minutes because I'm dumb :grumpy: really bummed me out

So that's 8th for me, 1191 points tallied up to my score. That's good, but I want more points :D I'll start practicing Brands sooner and more seriously than I did these past 3 races, I hope this speed boost I have isn't depleted yet :scared:

Only did Manufacturers race today and it was an amazing race. Qualy was bad, tried two hotlaps, one I made a mistake on the last turn and the other one (lower fuel one) i got jumbled by a guy that already had destroyed his lap.

The heavy damage cost me anything more that i might have achieved here, i thought everytime people got damage from hits, both cars would get it, but only I got it. Dodgelamb braked a little bit too early, didnt expect that and hit him in the back, damaging my front end.

Apart all that, it was a pretty intense and fun race.

Nice Group B race today , qualified 3rd finished 3rd . No battle , just maintaining a good pace, no penalties, a bit boring at the end but needed to stay concentrated. Good for the points , almost 1600.
I had trained around 3 hours for GR3 St Croix manufacturer event , it was about to be a good race but i've been disconnected .... Just before warm up , back to manufacturer red screen. :ouch::ouch:👎

My first FIA races post-World Tour had a mix of good and bad.

The bad, Nations. I refused to cut T1 whenever I could which obviously hurt my times. Penalties kept wiping out my Q laps so only started 4th. T1 got messy but I put myself in a good spot to nab 2nd off T2. Then someone decided to use my car to stop theirs and I went right into the grass. Unfortunately, they didn't get any heavy damage and kept going while I had to fight back from the rear. Race was far too short to recover and so it was a rather poor result. At least my SR looked better than a lot around me.

Manu qualifying was terrible. I didn't even get to practice fliers and my first one was slow. Didn't get a chance to do a second one but the upside was the room times were on the low end. Even so, I had a Ford GT and an R8 behind me which meant automatically losing two positions at the start. Yay! I was down to 6th but had two drivers smash into the bridge. Then the Corvette driver crashed leaving a 911 in the lead. Zero chance against them and so it become a fight for 2nd. The Ford driver stayed out until Lap 7 which proved a mistake, leaving me to battle with the R8 driver. Even with the more powerful prototype Lexus, that R8 had enough grunt to keep me at bay. Somehow, I managed to get right up to them at the last few corners and nabbed 2nd at the line. Enjoyable battle. 👍

That said, I really don't care for St Croix B in reverse. I don't usually turn on cones but I had to because there were hardly any good reference points. What did work were my new wheel settings. I feel like I can attack the course better.

The bad, Nations. I refused to cut T1 whenever I could which obviously hurt my times. Penalties kept wiping out my Q laps so only started 4th. T1 got messy but I put myself in a good spot to nab 2nd off T2. Then someone decided to use my car to stop theirs and I went right into the grass. Unfortunately, they didn't get any heavy damage and kept going while I had to fight back from the rear. Race was far too short to recover and so it was a rather poor result. At least my SR looked better than a lot around me.

Manu qualifying was terrible. I didn't even get to practice fliers and my first one was slow. Didn't get a chance to do a second one but the upside was the room times were on the low end. Even so, I had a Ford GT and an R8 behind me which meant automatically losing two positions at the start. Yay! I was down to 6th but had two drivers smash into the bridge. Then the Corvette driver crashed leaving a 911 in the lead. Zero chance against them and so it become a fight for 2nd. The Ford driver stayed out until Lap 7 which proved a mistake, leaving me to battle with the R8 driver. Even with the more powerful prototype Lexus, that R8 had enough grunt to keep me at bay. Somehow, I managed to get right up to them at the last few corners and nabbed 2nd at the line. Enjoyable battle. 👍

That said, I really don't care for St Croix B in reverse. I don't usually turn on cones but I had to because there were hardly any good reference points. What did work were my new wheel settings. I feel like I can attack the course better.

As if learning 3 variations of a course that isn't very distinguishible in its different sectors wasn't enough, now we have to do it in reverse! lol That's a no for me!

What did you do to your wheel settings?? I'm still experimenting trying to find the best suit.

Last edited:
As if learning 3 variations of a course that isn't very distinguishible in its different sectors, now we have to do it in reverse! lol That's a no for me!

What did you do to your wheel settings?? I'm still experimenting trying to find the best suit.
I tested out 7/2/5. Basically, I made it looser than I had it before. I don't attack the wheel enough, something that I already noted as a weakness but was an exclamation point watching the top guys.

Still beat me...

Serves me right for going in with minimal practice, quali wasn't great and the race was going well till I hit the exit barrier on the entry to the bridge, was just a lapse of concentration, and tried to take the hard tyres 6 laps to the end but was ice skating on that last lap so in the end P17

Yes, I expected you to come in again, because you've been out very long. In the last lap, when I arrived you and the other guy, I saw you already struggling to keep the car on the track.

The thing is, I DID training for this race and had also good results in the training lobbys with very fast drivers.

Had a mediocre qualifying yesterday for the, got 13th, and knew that the Pug VGT isn't very fast of the line.
Kept it pretty safe through the 1st few corners and settled into 15th. Managed to pick up a couple of places in the 1st lap and a half before I made a horrible mistake.

Into the right handed before the bridge a guy in a Porsche had a wee look up the inside. Wasn't rough or anything, but I was paying attention to him rather than where I was going. I drove straight into the end of the bridge :banghead:

I keep forgetting how wide that Peugeot is, so clipped it with my front left edge, spun the car 180 degrees and damaged the car. The bridge is quite narrow so by the time I had spun the car back around and pitted I was nearly 40 seconds behind.

Oh well, there is always next season :D

and i got the BSOD error!
hahaha
bad luck for me....

The joys of being punted off...

And the joy of forgetting to mute the replay audio. I'll try to fix that later.

Edit: Fixed!

Last edited:
Caveat: It shows your region regardless of flag if you're signed in
Bonus: It's quicker to switch between "gb", "hk" and "us" in the URL, clicking the flag takes you back to the GT homepage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back