FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first FIA win. I look back at some of my lines, and I must have been paying more attention to the other cars and time gaps than my driving! Need to improve that.
Once I know I have a comfortable lead (at least 1.5-2 seconds) I don't even look at the leader board anywhere except on long straights. I just concentrate on hitting my marks and not screwing up. :P

My race was fun, but obviously not a FWD car circuit. Although I have a big problem with the points system... So top split race, the lowest if logic worked I should be is 60th in the region (Counting all 3 time slots), or maybe a tiny bit lower (If you consider that the first time slot might have a strong split 2).

I'm currently sitting 95th just for Audi and 1756th for EMEA. To put this into some context, and no offence to the individual who I shall not name someone with 7.7k DR beat me by 100 points in the same car!

Gave me a good laugh anyway, hopefully that gets fixed at some point.

If anyone has saved the manufacturer replay from my race I'd appreciate it if you could share it <3

edit: Just to add I've just noticed I was beaten by 1 point by somebody who joined their FIA race with 1 DR.

How many points did you earn and what position did you get? I got 9th in top split NA for 14xx points. It feels like a slap in the face for being a 2500 point room. LOL

Had a solid sub 1:38 in practice that I couldn’t replicate during qualify for tonight’s early slot at Interlagos. Qualified P10 in a 2700pt room. Had one overtake and then lost a position to @RoadBeef with a few laps remaining. I accrued 1.5 seconds of penalties for an uncontrolled cut and running wide on the final turn. I think I would have made up 1-2 positions without those hiccups. P10 finish and a very non eventful race for the most part. Managed 1470pts. Happy with the Mustangs performance.

Well, I didn't have a good start in this Manufacturer Series. In all three races that I attempted, someone on purpose tried to wreck my car.
Race 1: A dive punt in Senna's S from a Toyota (that crashed at least three other players during the race...) and T-boned in Junção by an Alfa Romeo. The guy simply accelerated through the grass to hit my door, after trying to push me out at Bico de Pato exit into Mergulho...
Race 2: a Renault driver, mad that I was able to overtake him at the Esse, and after using my door to turn in Pinheirinho, hit my right door full throtle before Junção sending me to the grass, even I giving room to him in the outside of Mergulho (half the track, by the replay).
This is insane and its a proof for me that the penalty system still needs a lot of refinement... In 2019 I only raced in the Nations Cup and generally the races were good and clean, but three times in the same day is absolutely discouraging, especially for me, that always try to fight clean during races (I 've never left Sr.S).
In the last race, a driver in a Citroën simply tried to rotate me by hitting in my rear right panel, in the middle of the pit straight. Maybe I post it here tomorrow, but in situations like these something must be done to keep this game healthy. And all of these happened in A/S lobbies, without a single penalty, costing me 2k driver points...

Ps. Mitsubishi needs to change its GP2 engine, its simply impossible to overtake in a straight, even with slipstreaming XD

Last edited:
Nations combo was a fun one, but the race wasn't. Horrible dives, contacts, terrible racecraft from the opposition.

Manu was a good combo for the Jaguar. Tried the first slot, starting in 4th but got punted when at 4th position and the game gave me a pen for going wide and not to the punter lol, race over. Second slot was better. Strong lobby, very good qualifying lap and an excellent result, should give Jaguar 36 points on CSA region, which is awesome.

Switched Manufacturers from Mazda, to run my Alfa Megane TCR machines. Only doing the Gr.4 races. from now on.
8440401094376457732_0.jpg

Quick Summery of today's FIA races:

Nations: Qualified 3rd after managing a 1'31. Made a pass on the first lap for 2nd and basically held it there. Was considering the whole time if I should pit or not, but decided it wasn't worth it in the end. Another good start to the season.

Manufacterers: Qualified 15th after completely botching Qualifying (a habit I really need to stop doing). Was making passes and doing well until one guy just ran right into the back of me. He made a clean pass into one but was just driving dirty trying to run me off the track whenever I had a run. I outbreak myself not expecting him to bake so early and then he should me off the track in 1, gets himself a penalty and then proceeds to just run me into the wall (Extending his penalty). Finished 12th (with him blaming me for his awful driving), that should be the motivation for me to stop messing up qualifying in Manufacterers: Avoiding crazy folk like that.

D8jmYniVsAEAlZe.jpg

Do 3 races in both Nation and Manu cup, only last race in Nation that haven't any problem at all and really satifiying (results on above). While on Manu cup it trully warfare right now getting shunt slam all over the race, well I was hit somebody too by miscalculated he brake point that almost like brakecheck but no, clearly not :dunce: In the end my choice with Jag is not wrong, it really good car for me that still getting around G29 for more faster.

Was in @Lost Sheltie's lobby for the Nations race. I went with the Honda as I hadn't done too many laps and it's my go to car when not fully upto speed. Unfortunately, I wasn't on the pace of the lobby so qualifying didn't go too well and race didn't go much better, not helped by a few mistakes here and there.

Entered the 2nd slot of manufacturers and once again quali didn't go too great. Though this time the midfield pack was just one big race-long battle. I was doing relatively well considering my starting position but then this happened:

Looks quite hilarious tbf but obviously didn't feel like it at the time. I don't even think he was aiming for me (or at least I hope he wasn't).

Anyways, a more encouraging race than the Nations one but in the end, no beans.

How many points did you earn and what position did you get? I got 9th in top split NA for 14xx points. It feels like a slap in the face for being a 2500 point room. LOL

18th, nearly 19th :embarrassed:! But as I say not a FWD circuit. It's funny really because you're punished for coming near the bottom twice as DR is hit to. I'm actually close to being split 2, but hey at least I might get a few more points there :D!

Edit: Sorry P17 not P18

Last edited:
Anyone got any tips for qualifying? Every FIA race I do is the same - I can barely get a clean lap set within the time allotted because dudes either go max attack on their outlap and feel the need to overtake, either that or I'm trying too hard to find a bit of space to chuck a lap in and I lose focus/run out of time/****ing murder my tyres/someone catches up to me and pushes me wide.

Is there some technique I'm missing to get the ability to just drive a fast lap without getting rinsed? I always end up near the back of the grid and within a few corners I've usually caught/started passing people that I'm definitely quicker than.

Not sure if I'm missing something, or have **** luck and am sharing the track with a-holes.

Anyone got any tips for qualifying? Every FIA race I do is the same - I can barely get a clean lap set within the time allotted because dudes either go max attack on their outlap and feel the need to overtake, either that or I'm trying too hard to find a bit of space to chuck a lap in and I lose focus/run out of time/****ing murder my tyres/someone catches up to me and pushes me wide.

Is there some technique I'm missing to get the ability to just drive a fast lap without getting rinsed? I always end up near the back of the grid and within a few corners I've usually caught/started passing people that I'm definitely quicker than.

Not sure if I'm missing something, or have **** luck and am sharing the track with a-holes.
Wait before you first leave the pits. People tend to all jump out as soon as qualifying starts, so if you wait at least 30 seconds you generally have a much clearer track to drive on.

Wait before you first leave the pits. People tend to all jump out as soon as qualifying starts, so if you wait at least 30 seconds you generally have a much clearer track to drive on.
Huh, I'd been doing this at first but stopped cos I didn't think it actually worked, I thought I was just getting sent out when the game said so. Will definitely try it next time, cheers - one lap without getting yeeted shouldn't be too much to ask :P

I still can't work out why no-one can do their Q-times in race.

I was about 0.9s off my best free practice time in qualifying, and ended up 19th. My best race lap was around 0.05s slower than my Q-lap, and yet I had the fifth best race lap... This happens in literally every race.

I don't even remember where I finished. It wasn't great as there was an absolute clunge in a Cayman who was doing some really nasty driving but somehow not getting a penalty for it, so I lost six seconds because of him but also passed a couple of guys who lost more. Not a great first result from my new brand (although looking at the testing people have done, it would be one of the slowest cars at this track).

Got disconnected after qualifying again. I think thats 3 in a row for Nations. Only got to run last slot, so zero points this event. Thought about running last Manu slot, but was just too tired. Low point room and a track I'm not too good at anyway, guess I'll take a zero to start.

I was about 0.9s off my best free practice time in qualifying, and ended up 19th. My best race lap was around 0.05s slower than my Q-lap, and yet I had the fifth best race lap... This happens in literally every race.

I don't even remember where I finished. It wasn't great as there was an absolute clunge in a Cayman who was doing some really nasty driving but somehow not getting a penalty for it, so I lost six seconds because of him but also passed a couple of guys who lost more. Not a great first result from my new brand (although looking at the testing people have done, it would be one of the slowest cars at this track).

For the first time yesterday in Manufacturers I noticed the quali/race handling differences i've seen others on here mentioned. Felt considerably more understeery in the Hyundai come race time. I suppose it could be from being in the slipstream going through braking zones, but it definitely caught a few out as I gained a couple spots from guys understeering on corner exit, which I didn't see any of in the qualifying session.

I wonder why PD limits the Manufacturers to just 12 this time around. Smaller grids = less exciting racing. If they want to make it 12, then select the top 4 region drivers and make 2 car teams each like F1. Less chance of top drivers missing out as well.

In my mind, 16-20 qualifying manufacturers are a good number. You don't want to make it too easy but 12 is less than half of all manus... Maybe PD/Sony doesn't want to splurge as much on accomodation and catering this time around :lol:

Most likely people are battling in a race early on when tires are at their best. Later on, fuel loads get lighter and the field is more spread out, but by then tyres are starting to fall off.

If someone gets a clean run from pole and doesn't have to defend, I bet they could've easily matched their quali time.

My race was fun, but obviously not a FWD car circuit. Although I have a big problem with the points system... So top split race, the lowest if logic worked I should be is 60th in the region (Counting all 3 time slots), or maybe a tiny bit lower (If you consider that the first time slot might have a strong split 2).

I'm currently sitting 95th just for Audi and 1756th for EMEA. To put this into some context, and no offence to the individual who I shall not name someone with 7.7k DR beat me by 100 points in the same car!

Gave me a good laugh anyway, hopefully that gets fixed at some point.

If anyone has saved the manufacturer replay from my race I'd appreciate it if you could share it <3

edit: Just to add I've just noticed I was beaten by 1 point by somebody who joined their FIA race with 1 DR.

Same here. Got less points than 2 B/S drivers in my manufacturer (who presumably did better in a lower split lobby). It wasn't my best race but it's so demoralizing when you feel you've driven the wheels of your car...only to get your lowest points haul in 3 seasons.

I've been thinking of your base point system from the open letter video that you did. Maybe PD can delay the point award until all races in all 3 slots are done, and then rank each race based on the total DR of the drivers in the room. Then just award points in descending order from top split positions 1-20, second split positions 1-20, and so on.

Alternative thought that I have: give the same points for every room, but then multiply that by your DR and SR (divided by 1000 so the numbers don't get too big and unwieldy). That will encourage people to get the maximum DR/SR possible instead of tanking their ratings, which completely defeats the purpose of the matchmaking.

Last edited:

I've seen guys, including myself, pull off laps in race faster than qualifying times but that's typically only in races with a pit stop and fresh tires. Free practice times are with no tire wear, so I'd say being about 1s off your best time is about right, depending on track length. I've had an alien tell me he expects to be .4-.6s within free practice time in qualifying, but I've never been able to come that close.

For yesterday's races, since there were no pit stops, it's pretty unlikely that anybody would be able to replicate or beat their qualy time due to the fuel load and battling when the pack is closer. Even the leader will likely have to take some compromised lines to defend on the first lap or two. After that, tires are worn and they just can't pull it off. People are burning fuel like crazy these days in the 10-minute qualy period, so without fresh tires and less than 50% fuel, it will rarely happen. The amount of time you can scrub with a lighter fuel load is pretty significant, dare I say, unrealistic...but I don't really know that for fact.

Last edited:
Free practice times are with no tire wear, so I'd say being about 1s off your best time is about right, depending on track length. I've had an alien tell me he expects to be .4-.6s within free practice time in qualifying, but I've never been able to come that close.
Yep, that's all standard.
For yesterday's races, since there were no pit stops, it's pretty unlikely that anybody would be able to replicate or beat their qualy time due to the fuel load and battling when the pack is closer. Even the leader will likely have to take some compromised lines to defend on the first lap or two. After that, tires are worn and they just can't pull it off. People are burning fuel like crazy these days in the 10-minute qualy period, so without fresh tires and less than 50% fuel, it will rarely happen.
Yet I do it almost every race - there's no race I can remember except one at Fuji a while back where I haven't replicated my Q-lap or at least got within 0.25s of it. Last night's Interlagos race I was the fifth fastest car after being the 19th fastest qualifier - and granted for some of that I was in clean air after the Cayman shove - but for the lead guys to go from breaking into 1'38s to barely breaking under 1'40 and my 1'40.6 being the fifth fastest race lap is ridiculous. For that matter, on the RH tyres last night, unless you're FWD/4WD, the amount of wear is negligible, and certainly not enough to drop more than 1% of your lap time, considering a peak 5% degradation (basically five seconds on a 1'40 combo like that) from full white to full red on the worst-wearing cars.

Either I really suck at hotlapping (my best practice lap after four laps was 2.5s off the best EU time, in a car apparently super-sucky for this track), or I'm brilliant in races... which I'm not.

I also forgot until just now that the Cayman also glitched at the start and held us eight seconds back and at rest when the flag dropped, which kinda screwed the race before it had even started. Basically that Cayman was a nightmare.

Yet I do it almost every race - there's no race I can remember except one at Fuji a while back where I haven't replicated my Q-lap or at least got within 0.25s of it.

Which makes complete sense, because pretty much every race before now, the beginning of the new season, we've had higher fuel/tire multipliers, forcing a pit stop. Yesterday's races were the first in awhile where not only were tires not required, but fuel wasn't either.

Last night's Interlagos race I was the fifth fastest car after being the 19th fastest qualifier - and granted for some of that I was in clean air after the Cayman shove - but for the lead guys to go from breaking into 1'38s to barely breaking under 1'40 and my 1'40.6 being the fifth fastest race lap is ridiculous. For that matter, on the RH tyres last night, unless you're FWD/4WD, the amount of wear is negligible, and certainly not enough to drop more than 1% of your lap time, considering a peak 5% degradation (basically five seconds on a 1'40 combo like that) from full white to full red on the worst-wearing cars.

Yep, all that is standard to me as well. Again, no pit and heavy fuel load in the Interlagos race. To qualy in the 38's after 2 or 3 laps of fuel burning, then race pace of 40-41 with a full load, seems normal. First few laps would be the only time those guys would be able to match their qualy time, but how would they do so with so much fuel? Later with less fuel, tires are worn. You say the wear is negligible but the results are staring you in the face, so it's difficult to argue that point. If it wasn't due to additional fuel load and slightly worn tires, battling or mistakes would be the only answers.

Yet I do it almost every race - there's no race I can remember except one at Fuji a while back where I haven't replicated my Q-lap or at least got within 0.25s of it. Last night's Interlagos race I was the fifth fastest car after being the 19th fastest qualifier - and granted for some of that I was in clean air after the Cayman shove - but for the lead guys to go from breaking into 1'38s to barely breaking under 1'40 and my 1'40.6 being the fifth fastest race lap is ridiculous.
I won my Nations Cup race yesterday while having a slower fastest lap time than 9 of the top 12 finishers. One person took 26 seconds longer to finish the race, but had a fastest lap 0.8 quicker than me. My observation of other drivers is that they were typically overdriving and erratic. I didn't have a clear track to drive on till lap 7, by which time my tyres were too worn to get close to my QT, my fastest lap was QT+1.5. I think near enough everyone except me pitted, so clearly that's going to produce faster fastest lap times for other people when they come out with fresh tyres and a light fuel load. One person pitted at the end of lap 10 in a 12 lap race, so maybe fastest lap time is the main thing they look to achieve in a race!

You say the wear is negligible but the results are staring you.
Except you'd need to show that my car - and my car alone, regardless of model - does not follow these rules for some reason...

...in almost every FIA race at any level of fuel/tyre deg since it started.

Which is pretty much my exact point of confusion.

Last edited:
Alternative thought that I have: give the same points for every room, but then multiply that by your DR and SR (divided by 1000 so the numbers don't get too big and unwieldy). That will encourage people to get the maximum DR/SR possible instead of tanking their ratings, which completely defeats the purpose of the matchmaking.
That's actually a pretty good idea, it would help separate the splits more while also not resulting in huge discrepancies. I just want to suggest a slight modification: make it so that the average DR of the lobby is used instead of a player's own DR. If player A finishes P1 as the 20th seed and player B finishes P2 as the 1st seed, A shouldn't get less points than B. I don't think SR needs to be taken into account, the way matchmaking is you already end up with terrible points if your SR is below 90. But, the 0 point issue would persist, so base points should go together with this :)

Speaking of DR, it's weird how the exact score can't be seen in-game. Maybe we should be able to see it. 💡

Except you'd need to show that my car - and my car alone, regardless of model - does not follow these rules for some reason...

...in almost every FIA race at any level of fuel/tyre deg since it started.

Which is pretty much my exact point of confusion.

meh, not really, I don't need to show anything that I'm not confused about. It's clear to me why you're experiencing what you have explained. And the explanations given definitely suffice, should you choose to accept them. You had a great drive relative to most others in your race. Tire wear, fuel load, mistakes and battling are the only other possible explanations. You seem hasty to compare "almost every FIA race at any level" but fail to acknowledge that yesterday's races were unique in that they were no-stops, which we haven't had many of lately. Some yes, but the "almost every FIA race" you speak of had pit stops with fresh tires and depleted fuel.

Your original post was about people not being able to match or beat their qualy times in race, and I've given you the reasons why. I didn't expect you to accept those explanations, but it doesn't make them any less true. Don't assume everybody is racing an ideal lap with ideal lines, especially at mid to high DR.B., and even more so once tire wear kicks in. Like you pointed out, 1% of a 1:40 lap is 1s, so for lap times to be 1-2s off qualy time which is done with a lighter fuel load, makes sense to me. But I guess we'll just never know why, will we?

Looks quite hilarious tbf but obviously didn't feel like it at the time. I don't even think he was aiming for me (or at least I hope he wasn't).

Yeah, just had a discussion with him, after confronting him with your video, he told me he actually targetted the wrong guy. Which is no excuse by the way, actions are being and will be taken.

Yeah, just had a discussion with him, after confronting him with your video, he told me he actually targetted the wrong guy. Which is no excuse by the way, actions are being and will be taken.
In these races it really shouldn't be happening especially at S SR etc. Personally I don't take these FIA races crazy seriously so it didn't bother me that much but thanks for talking to him anyway 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back