FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so here's where i'm at, i'll probably skip manu again tonight, i did some gr3 testing last night combined with practice for Nurburgring, short list is now:
Peugeot - to join the PUG train, VGT feels different to say the least, stable but understeery on entry, unstable on exit (turbo lag?)
Lambo - to join Yukiku, unstable on entry (consistent with other MRs) but can turn on a dime if done correctly, relatively stable on exit

Chevy nice to drive but a bit slow, don't think i can make the gr4 renault sneak in strat work because Oceania aliens have decent enough gr4 cars, could actually be tempted by Honda as the gr3 felt OK too. I'm just afraid there are some people just like me waiting for the gr3 races before making their decision but if the PUG is to work then i have to go for it at Le Mans.
Both Pug and Lambo may be good choices. I find the VGT more capable of being consistent with good to strong performances while the Lambo could have the edge in raw speed. Personally, I see Lambo being the far more popular choice for those lurking in the sidelines which may be a good or bad thing.

All I know is that I'm finally going to make my debut race for the regular season. It's looking like I will struggle because too many meta cars will be in the field.

Yeah I'm skipping out of Yamagiwa in the Pug, it'll be simply impossible to get higher than like 15th on an EMEA grid :lol:

That being said, I'm all over Le Mans, gonna be putting some major hours into that. The Pug is so favoured there I'll be disappointed with anything less than 30 points. (But want 40!)

Saturday: Best day in GT Sport ever. Watch the start of Le Mans 24 race, start myself in Nations Cup and Manufacturer Series and then again the race.
Do you plan your weekend in my way?

Went into both races not expecting fireworks. MIssed the NAtions 5pm race. Go into the 6pm Manu. Surprised with a good time in the Megane. Started 3rd behind an 86 and I think an M4. It got disco'd on the grid. Got the lead when the 86 went off at the final chicane.

Was going fine and saw my lead dropping and the 86 catching up. it got down to 0.750 and I guess I'd pit on the next lap(Lap5). Before I pit, the gap rose to over 1 second. I still pit just to be sure. Tyres wear close to 3/4 on TCS1.
Came out 5th and closed up to 4th. Had friendly fire with BjornUndies. Finished 4th.

NAtions in the X-Bow. Must not be META any longer. The M4 seemed to be car of choice. Saw a Vantage do real well in the race. Got boring real quick. Finished 9th.

I see a couple more Nations races are N300. Might skip those unless we get some new cars in an update.

After a couple of lobby practice races last night i'm not sure whether to bother tonight. I'm in in the VW Scirocco. I put in a fairly decent qualifying time starting 5th out of 12 cars but during the race just couldn't keep up and gradually got passed by more and more cars. Ended up at the back with the only other Scirocco driver in the race which tells me that the car is basically not good enough on this track.

Went into both races not expecting fireworks. MIssed the NAtions 5pm race. Go into the 6pm Manu. Surprised with a good time in the Megane. Started 3rd behind an 86 and I think an M4. It got disco'd on the grid. Got the lead when the 86 went off at the final chicane.

Was going fine and saw my lead dropping and the 86 catching up. it got down to 0.750 and I guess I'd pit on the next lap(Lap5). Before I pit, the gap rose to over 1 second. I still pit just to be sure. Tyres wear close to 3/4 on TCS1.
Came out 5th and closed up to 4th. Had friendly fire with BjornUndies. Finished 4th.

Were there cars no-stopping as well?

Really tough night for me. Nations was a little easier, but Manufacturers was difficult. Reasonably happy with results, but when you have races like that, you are always left wondering what more it could have been.

I signed up late and I despite everything I said earlier I abandoned Nissan, back to my roots with the Mustang :) First race of the season for me tonight, hoping things go well. Haven't been able to crack into the 1:39.x hoping for a mid to low 40 in the race.

7286833075347030560_23.jpg

Apparently that's the case from the Dodge drivers on the preseason
Dodge especially the GR4 are bad now, just slow and no reason at all to pick them from what I've seen. Trying to use it and get results will just be depressing if you are anywhere near the top splits, same with anyone who dared to pick Citroen.
You should pass. I made the mistake of picking Dodge. I knew it was bad, but didn't realize how slow the car is. Maybe in somebody else's hands it would be more competitive, but my DR usually puts me in the 2nd or 3rd split lobby, where it will be almost impossible to get good results. For Saturday's race at Interlagos I was in 2nd split, qualified 14th, finished 11th. Even when I drove clean laps, the only time I was gaining on anyone was when they were battling or making mistakes. It was frustrating.
Oof... thanks for the reply guys :cheers:
Gonna go with Mitsu now then

Made it 2 Nations Cup wins in a row. Another clean race bonus. Another 1700 DR. FIA pts PB of 979. I think there were at least two other forum members in the lobby. Video to follow.

Nations didn't go well, just started my fast lap in qualy when I met this guy;

Started last and set out to exact revenge in the race by giving him a big punt, but I couldn't remember his name, finished 12th or 13th :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Started 17th at Interlagos in the X-Bow. Finished 6th. Would probably have finished 3rd if there'd been another lap, judging by the three way fight between an M4, an F50 and an S-FR. Hilarious stuff.

Had a quick blast at Nations tonight but I simply wasn't on the pace. Apparently you do need to practice these races so started nearly last and finished nearly last with nothing really happening apart from the guys ahead slowly getting away. I was only 0.9 off the fastest lap but that was enough. I don't really like road cars tbh so I am not going to bother trying again.

Manufacturers confirmed that I am going to have a hard time with Mitsubishi. I managed a good quali lap of 1:41.0 so that put me in 16th. Thankfully in the race I had @Spinerkopin in front so I got a great tow for most of the race (no way the Mitsubishi can overtake anything without catching somebody unawares), but I got mugged on the last lap so only managed 14th. Was a relatively quiet race for me but was enjoyable enough, and I was surprisingly close to 5th which was only a couple of secs up the road.

Pic in front of the vid is from the last lap which shows how close it was

Last edited:
Interlagos is one of my favorites and I had high hopes. Come to see that I was in a room with A/S and A+/S drivers occupying the first 7 spots in the room.
I did what I could and advanced one spot and felt good that I could keep up the pace with the cars I front of me.
Sometimes you just have to be happy with the incremental progress.

most of the streams ive seen just show a slipstream train for 8 laps on mfg. poor combo of circuit with gr4 cars. no real good spots for overtaking...

Decided to give Manu a go in the VW. Wasn’t respecting to do well, was given car number 17 too but surprised myself getting tenth in qualifying. Race was going even better. Got up to 5th then on lap 7 made a stupid mistake cutting the corner to get a 1.5 second penalty. That put me back into 12. Got back to 9th and on very last corner got punted off and finished 13th. Really annoyed and not sure wether to risk it doing the 11pm race.

Just did a practice race for Nations. Seems like its gonna be a race where being chill and calculated is gonna pay huge. Made a few overtakes, but had to be very precise with my braking given how much the tail dances on the M4. Hopefully, the room I'm in tonight is just as chill as that was. Not expecting the cakewalk Saturday's race was, but definitely hoping to have an uneventful time.

Saturday: Best day in GT Sport ever. Watch the start of Le Mans 24 race, start myself in Nations Cup and Manufacturer Series and then again the race.
Do you plan your weekend in my way?

Looks like it'll be the same for me.

Nations:
Slot 1: M4, bottled it in the race and gave a close rival more points
Slot 2: M4, bottled qualifying and couldn't make up many places
Slot 3: F50, someone took out NikMak and I was right behind the leader on the last last lap, only problem was I didn't realise it was the last lap and didn't try any moves thinking he would wear out his M4 tyres on 1 more lap, got about 100 points less than rival in slot 1

Did a bit more manu testing, I'm about 95% ready to join the PUG train... :eek:

My Nations Cup race today. I thought the BoP was actually very good, there were quite a few viable car options, each with pros and cons. I had my reasons for going with the car I did, and the characteristics of the other cars used by the people near me on the track played out pretty much exactly how I thought they would.

So I'm beginning to think picking citreon was a bad idea.

Put in a decent amount of practise and best I could muster was a 1.41 flat with optimal 1.40.7( lobby conditions not time trial)

I had watched a few practise races and seen players I could usually beat lapping quicker than me so I wondered if I was just slow at the combo or if it was the car.

A couple of laps in the jag and TT soon answered that. Within a few laps in each I was easily in the mid 1.40's. Something I couldn't get near in the citreon.

Anyway to race day. As expected qualifying was poor. 19th out of 20, easily my worst ever qualifying in FIA. Lap was ok and even my best from practise would only have put me 17th.

Didn't expect the race to be much better but saving grace is the car is relatively kind on its tyres so last couple of laps would be strong-ish.

Well the racing gods were smiling on me as people crashed, got pens, spun and a couple even pitted??? Went from 19th to 10th and was only 12 seconds off the leader.

At that I took the 1200 points and ran for the hills. Watched a few streams and the odd citreon I seen competing never threatened the top 10 so I reckon I got very lucky.

Lambo for the Manu was a blast again. Did manu with sticker 20 on my door, finished 2nd. Could've done 20 more laps on those tyres. Awesome!

Next few races with the Gr3 won't be any fun tho :(

Got disconnected from the second slot of the Nations race. Cleared my Cache, internet was fine and my Connection quality was good so no idea why that happened. Looks like another night of back-to-back races. Not what I prefer, but looks like I don't have much of a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back