FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity: since you're participating in the world tours, aren't you considering switching to the wheel?

I use the controller for practical reasons, to keep the living room clean, but if I was competing at your level I'd be considering the wheel at this time.

I mentioned this in the daily discussion, but I learn best with what I use the first time, and my first experience was in Vegas. That means I've gotten used to the standard rig setup and my desk is too tall to be comfortable enough for a setup. I want to fix that with probably a playseat challenge for something remotely similar in the future, but I'm not a handiman so building something is fairly out of the question and I tried using my desk, but it produces poor results and a lot of frustration.

Bit of a break before the exhibition seasons start.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_3315105.html

Announcing the New 'FIA Gran Turismo Championships' Season

06/09/2019

A new 'FIA Gran Turismo Championships' Season for both Nations Cup and Manufacturer Series will begin on Wednesday, 18 November 2019 within the 'Sport' mode.

Event details and schedules for the new '2019/20 Exhibition Series - Season 1' will be announced at a later date. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy the Daily Races.

Furthermore, the manufacturer affiliation contracts signed for the 2019 Manufacturer Series will end, allowing players a chance to change manufacturer for the '2019/20 Exhibition Series - Season 1'. (In the '2019/20 Exhibition Series', players will be able to change their manufacturer affiliation contract at the end of each Season.)

Thank you for your continued support to Gran Turismo Sport!

Does this confirm a new 2020 FIA Season?

I will definitely be sitting out at least the first 2 exhibition seasons if it starts Sept 18th. I need a break lol. I take these far too seriously and if I don't get several hours of practice in I end up at the back. I can't just do a few warmup laps and be competitive.

I will definitely be sitting out at least the first 2 exhibition seasons if it starts Sept 18th. I need a break lol. I take these far too seriously and if I don't get several hours of practice in I end up at the back. I can't just do a few warmup laps and be competitive.

From what I understood, the exhibition series starts in november. Am I wrong?

Well, that was a bit nuts. I had no idea how the race would go. Messed up in Qualy. Started 17th. People going off, impatient and I guess some were using TCS 0. After 3 laps, I had enough of the cars ahead. Pitted from P11. Grabbed a fresh set of RS and caught up to cars fishtailing all over the place. Cars spinning right in front and spearing off into barriers.

Got up to top 10 and last lap, my rear tyres are giving up. had to almost crawl and feather the throttle with TCS 5!

ED2Gwz8VAAA5xi4

ED2Guq3U4AARhyc

Edit: Started 4th. Pole was 2 seconds faster with a 44 lap! Got punted T1 by a fellow Lexus driver :rolleyes: and an AMG wants to try and chop me in the next last sequence of corners. It passed me at the final chicane. Could have been patient like the first AMG. It passed me cleanly.
ED2UjuuVUAAW0JO

ED2UoKHUwAEhOQz

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, this is physically impossible. Sucks to be us B)

Hi, congrats on all of your successes with the pad on gt sport, very impressive!
Thanks for confirming my theory on this, it was driving me mad!
Not much point doing the last fia nation’s race today on pad then :(
I’d like to hear your thoughts on the opinion that the pad seems to struggle on this type of corner, throughout the game, I have no problem keeping pace, until there is a very tight slow corner, where wheel users appear to get a better initial turn in.
I need to go through that wheel learning pain barrier sometime soon.

Did the first Nations top split race of the night, started 7th and finished 3rd.

Nations Superstars was a disaster. Got stuck in dirty air of people who it turned out were not on hot laps, started 15th.

Was going well enough until I got a 5 second penalty at the end of L1. Took to the kerb to back out but hit the sausage kerb, hopped across and hit someone who kept their foot planted then ran off and spun. Still my fault but immensely frustrating.

Took an early pit stop and finished 10th. Not a great way to end the season.

Last edited:
Lap 1 T1 was a complete disaster in the nation's as predicted with a standing start when someone dive-bombed into turn 1 taking several people out. Managed to recover to p7 despite dropping to about 17th or something at the start.

FML

Managed to turn a 17th on the grid in Nations to a 3rd thanks to cluster:censored:s all around me.

I wish I could say the same about the Manufacturers race. I qualified 14th, and suffered the rolling start glitch. On top of that, I got run off the road by what I can only assume is a Boris Johnson fanboy, who proceeded to park on the racing line at every opportunity. I then stayed out for a lap too long and binned the Citroen under braking into the Seat hairpin, and had to tiptoe back to the pits, re-emerging behind yet another racing line hogger, and to cap it all off, he managed to recover a spin out of Würth right into my path, and I crawled home 15th. I'm calling it a night.

Ever had one of those evenings where everything went wrong? Well that was me tonight :)

Nations quali went ok, and managed to get 6th. Might have been better, but got slightly blocked on my fastest lap. Got a good start, and started to go past the guy in front, when he decided to pit manoeuvre me and put me in the wall (Strangely enough it was the same guy who got me last week so not sure if he meant it or not). Thought I would keep going and managed to pick off a few people, when the guy in front lost control and didn't ghost, so I smashed into him and ended up dead last again. Pitted, carried on picked up a few places and managed not to finish last.

Manufacturers didn't go much better. Turned in to early at the esses and ran wide on my fast lap and picked up a penalty. Meant I started 14th instead of 6th (that was where my lap would have put me). Race started me on the chicane and I instantly spun, and unfortunately took someone out. Managed to get going again. Had a guy almost lose it going for the pits in front of me, which allowed @watto79 to get past on the straight, but I wasn't too bothered as I knew he would have the pace being on fresh tyres. Managed to work my way up to 14th when the guy behind got one of those sleep messages on his screen and smashed into the back of me. Just one of those nights :)

Oh well, at least I played golf well today. Video below has the "highlights"

Ever had one of those evenings where everything went wrong? Well that was me tonight :)

Nations quali went ok, and managed to get 6th. Might have been better, but got slightly blocked on my fastest lap. Got a good start, and started to go past the guy in front, when he decided to pit manoeuvre me and put me in the wall (Strangely enough it was the same guy who got me last week so not sure if he meant it or not). Thought I would keep going and managed to pick off a few people, when the guy in front lost control and didn't ghost, so I smashed into him and ended up dead last again. Pitted, carried on picked up a few places and managed not to finish last.

Manufacturers didn't go much better. Turned in to early at the esses and ran wide on my fast lap and picked up a penalty. Meant I started 14th instead of 6th (that was where my lap would have put me). Race started me on the chicane and I instantly spun, and unfortunately took someone out. Managed to get going again. Had a guy almost lose it going for the pits in front of me, which allowed @watto79 to get past on the straight, but I wasn't too bothered as I knew he would have the pace being on fresh tyres. Managed to work my way up to 14th when the guy behind got one of those sleep messages on his screen and smashed into the back of me. Just one of those nights :)

Oh well, at least I played golf well today. Video below has the "highlights"

Those highlights. Wow. When I've had a bad race I'll just watch that to make myself feel better. I felt bad passing you but like you said, I had fresh tyres and needed to get a hustle on. Managed to get up to 8th for nowhere near enough points. I was far off my best qualy time and starting mid chicane is far from ideal. Not that I need to tell you that......

Went from 16th to 6th in Nations. My experience of driving a tail happy pig that eats tyres for Nissan has paid off. People don't know how to drive the X2019. I saw several people drive off the track looking like they had a shepherd's crook round their neck in a cartoon. It doesn't put me ahead of Perel or improve any of my scores though, so I may as well go again at 10.

Practising for the Nations, but might not do it and just focus on manufacturers because i can't get below 1:36.0 right now with the DS4, certain spots on the track it just seems like the car all of a sudden becomes a boat and doesn't want to turn

Whats the general tyre strat looking like for it?

Went from 16th to 6th in Nations. My experience of driving a tail happy pig that eats tyres for Nissan has paid off. People don't know how to drive the X2019. I saw several people drive off the track looking like they had a shepherd's crook round their neck in a cartoon. It doesn't put me ahead of Perel or improve any of my scores though, so I may as well go again at 10.
Had another go. Started 12th. Was up to 7th at the right hander after the flat out S in the final sector of the lap when 6th braked awkwardly and cut across me, while 8th braked too late and took me out. My race was done at this point since I ended up dead last with ruined tyres.

6th and 8th from that story finished 3rd and 4th, respectively. To say this feels like an opportunity wasted is... eesh.

...and that was the end of that. I wasn't even aware that was the final round, until I woke up this morning to check the points tally and saw nothing scheduled for the future. I might've tried a bit harder last night had I known, but I doubt a better result would have changed anything. I skipped the Nations Race and stuck to Manufacturers; I find the Red Bull's engine whine extremely irritating, and have never had much luck in races where the vehicles are that twitchy. That and I sold it the other week to buy the Shelby Daytona Coupe, and didn't have a spare $3 Million to buy it back.

Manufacturer's was a non-event for me, having nursed my rating back to B/S I found myself in an extremely competitive field. I qualified 12th and ended up placing 13th, missing out on 12th place by half a car length, as a car from much further up the field limped across the line after a final turn crash. There were plenty of crashes and spins around me, but I failed to capitalise on any of them, and despite having avoided the carnage I simply couldn't match the pace. Still, I managed my best result so far for a season: 2nd in my home state of Victoria, 13th for McLaren, and 357th in my region (Oceania).

7214867769409404952_0.jpg

Yea, Nations with traction off and on a dualshock 4 is an absolute nightmare.

Started 6th I think, got upto 4th quickly and was pressuring 3rd, but then it's like driving on a knife edge.

The tiniest mistake and it's race over, you go for a spin, then your tyres are absolutely shredded to 0, plus you have a big time loss in the hairpin to wheel users anyway.

Not a great race for dualshock thats for sure.

Manufacturers
@Lost Sheltie has already summed up the 7pm slot. Qualifying went badly starting P13 which means starting mid-chicane, in the wrong gear with the car pointing at right angles to where I want to be pointing. Tip-toe out of the chicane before I can get going. Really enjoyed the race to finish 8th but not enough points.

The 9:10pm slot qualifying went much better starting 7th. Again I found the race (also featuring @VulcanSpirit) to be thoroughly enjoyable. Recent FIA races have felt like a bit of a procession, but throw in 3 viable strategies (pit lap 4, pit lap 5 or don't pit) really mixed things up for the better. Managed to get up to 4th when the top group catch a no-stopping BMW who is REALLY struggling. I'm all over the BMW through the last few corners, entering the final chicane side by side. The BMW holds the lead so I settle for 4th, only for them to run out of fuel 20m from the line gifting me 3rd :)

3rd place gave me 1772 points, which is my highest score of the season. It's not enough for the top 200, but rather than roll the 11pm dice for an unrealistic score I've decided to park up there and finish on the high of a podium and my highest score.

Finishing in the top 200 wasn't ever my goal at the start of the season and it only started looking possible as the races ticked by. I've had a thoroughly enjoyable season, but also looking forward to a break and not feel the need to practice so much. Thanks to everyone I've raced against. It's been a blast.

M3.jpg
M4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back