FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the end I've only uploaded 2 races from the entire 20 round season. This is mainly because the races themselves haven't been very exciting this year, and also because I've been driving a bit pants for most of it. However, I managed to pull off a P2 in the T16 race at Barcelona despite not making a single proper overtake:

Manufacturers:
Race 1: Strategy mishap; made the mistake of running hards in race instead of medium.
Race 2: Switched to mediums for the race. Almost had chance of top 10, then a big hit happened in the second lap; ended up finish 12th.
Final Result: 349 points / 188th amongst Asian Honda drivers / 2723th in Asia

Nations: (Prior to this race, I considered doing one of the X2019 Enduro GT League races, but I gave up after few laps each)
Race 1: Survived brawl at start; learned to pit ASAP once I lost rear grip (other than SR killer moments, that's pretty much I could recall really).
Race 2: Survived brawl at start again. Finished tenth (almost ninth!) one lap behind. Overall, both Nations race were very thrilling.
Final Result: 790 points / 46th in Indonesia / 2436th in Asia

Now I can focus (for now) with real life such as doing my part for new student orientation staff for my faculty.

Last edited:
Did both Nations and Manufacturers on Saturday.
Nations I probably should've practiced more than I did as I was not upto speed. Qualified last and only gained positions through others' misfortune.

Manufacturers was much better. Quali lap ddn't feel great but was still near the front. Lost a few positions on lap 1 and also had a mistake at the chicane later one. 1 stop worked relatively well a but result should've been better than it actually was. But anyway was nice to end the season with a decent race.

Total points and ranks in Nations and Manufacturers:
upload_2019-9-9_18-17-20.png
upload_2019-9-9_18-18-1.png

The results were better in manufacturers though I did enter a greater portion of manufacturer races. Both probably could've been better but I'd say my DR is probably too high for my own good at this point.

This was the first FIA season that I had dedicated time in my schedule so that I could practice and make as many rounds as possible. I was on the fence between picking Subaru and Ford, but I ultimately chose Ford after some test sessions. My goal was to finish top 3 for my manufacturer and finish in the top 16 overall.

It was a great experience learning from and sharing techniques with the other top Ford driver's, @TRC_Stagger and @vvise. I definitely became faster over the course of the season and interacted with a lot of other great players.

I finished this season as the 2nd driver for Ford and placed 16th overall,

I really wanted to make a Top 16 Superstars race. Even though I was 12th in points at the time, I didn't qualify for Rd. 10 at Sardegna because I hadn't competed in the season prior to get my Star player rating. BUT, I was eligible for the Rd. 20 Top 16 race at Barcelona. I botched qualifying and put down a time that was a second off my best qualifying time in practice, so I started P16 on the grid. It was an awesome race. After a lot of battles and some misfortune for other players I finished P10.

I'm looking forward to next season. I'm hoping to continue improving my pace and racecraft. This season has been a ton of fun. See you all next season!
UPjoko2.jpg

So offseason is suposse to start on Sep 18th, am I the only one finding it odd the schedule hasnt been posted yet?

Yep I thought the schedule would have been released by now. I'm guessing it will be released over the world tour weekend.

I just hope they have gathered the feedback from the official season that the shorter races were not that popular and races are back to the 20 mins+ mark for this exhibition season

Now that the official season is done, I had a few ideas on how to make these competitions better and more fun. Feel free to pick at my ideas:

- Make Nations and Manufacturers series on different days: I feel like making them the same day forces a lot of drivers to pick a series.

- Go back to one attempt per race, maybe with a mulligan of some sort: these races lose their value when you can try again if you have a bad race. I liked the one attempt better, but maybe give an extra attempt if the driver didn't complete the race they entered (Network issues)?

- Have live regional events for each region: give more drivers a chance to qualify for a live event, and make those qualifiers for the world final. In theory it would be cheaper than flying drivers all over the world to 6 locations a year.

- Split up GR.3 & GR.4 for Manufacturers series: no particular rationale for this. But it would be interesting to see how the manufacturers stack up when the races are broken up.

- More information on tire wear and fuel economy between cars: only seems fair if most races mean managing extreme tire wear or fuel. Also felt bad for drivers that picked a manufacturer that was bad at one of the two, and ended up skipping races cause they knew their car wasn't competitive.

- Give Audi a Awd/ 4wd GR.4 car: Seems like a cruel joke that the TT is FWD. Maybe throw in an RS3?

- More manufacturers, just a wishlist: Bentley, Lotus, Pagani, KTM, better Bugatti, Maserati.

That's all I got

Really great points there. Agree most with single attempts. I've seen some top drivers in my region do all 3 slots despite them placing well in the first slot and last slot usually yielding lower points. It's definitely not to improve the points, and definitely not for practice (they could just do it in a lobby with fellow aliens). I assume it's so lesser ranked drivers don't get the win in the "easier" final slot and catch up to their points lead. Like c'mon man, even without this you are definitely already scoring beyond our reach. Let us have a moment in the sun :lol:

Not sure having regional lives are going to be cheaper tbh. If anything it's gonna be an organisational nightmare in some countries. I agree it would be cool to be able to participate in a live event because as it stands, only 0.00000000001% of us will make it.

IMO Gr.3 and Gr.4 BOP are actually pretty good with reasonable tyre/fuel (<3x). That's the problem they need to rectify. Splitting classes is gonna be a nightmare and potentially you don't get enough top drivers participating in each class/manu.

Agree with tyre/fuel rating, but these things are also driving style dependent so it's hard to say. Best they could do is give us the general expected pitstop strategies like in the live event broadcasts.

IMO, Manufacturers which have FF/4WD Gr.4 cars need a serious BOP boost if tyre wear stays high as it is. Maybe even have different BOPs for daily races with no fuel/tyre and FIA.

Would love more Manu choices but I think they need to fix BOP for the current cars first.

Just a little help to make your next GR3 & 4 choice. I've just organized @rex1825 great job.

View attachment 849422 View attachment 849423

Is this based on the fuel consumption list thread? If so that info has been outdated for several months now because of all the BOP changes. And first thing I noticed there's already a mistake: the RCZ Gr.3 is 201 km, not 210 km :P

What they could do is align the whole FIA series to mimic a real race weekend.

1 hour of practice a day before and 1 hour of practice on the day of the event both with full tyre wear and fuel parameters. Then leave the actual race programme as is.

No more dedicated practice lobbies where players can mimic tyre and fuel multipliers.

Let people practice on the circuit, but lock out setting for tyres and fuel the week before the race so the can’t be selected. And no one can practice with them.

Don’t even tell us the tyre and fuel settings in advance anymore. Let us work it out in the two dedicated practice session.

Let’s see how good everyone is with leveler playing field.

I think it's a great idea to limit practice like a real race weekend. I limit myself to only 3x race simulations for each FIA race. As we know in most racing series that is not F1 drivers don't even have an hour to practice! I can't see this ever being policed effectively though. You could replicate fuel/tyre in an offline custom race as long as it's <20x. And on the flipside you could be running a league that just happens to have the same settings and you won't be able to race that week without even bothering with FIA events!

Best they could do is just not reveal the car/track/parameters until 2 days before the event. Spread out the races so it's only 1x Nation/Manu per week and have a longer season, so people have chance to at least participate in some races and not get burnt out unless you have no school/work :lol:

Anyway, I've taken some of the great ideas in this thread and sent it to PD in my S/S driver application for next season. Single try, better points system, BOP are the main ones. Hopefully Kaz reads some of them for next season. I think it's one of the better organised esports out there but a few things here and there can still be improved to make it even better. It wouldn't affect the top drivers because they will always be fast regardless, but for the rest of us who are quick but not alien it would help enjoyment massively and help long term retention rates. The only way is up, as they say 👍

This Nations Cup season was quite a ride for me.

My original goal was to finish top 10 in Switzerland, same as last year. I started at around 45K DR, in splits where the winner got less than 2000 FIA points. After a rocky start (664 points in round 2), I got 9 solid results averaging ~1500 points in stages 1 & 2, including my first ever FIA race victory in round 9, starting from pole in the Supra GR one-make at Yamagiwa.

I missed the last 5 rounds of stage 2 due to going on vacation. Back for stage 3, since I was now racing in higher rated splits, I set myself a new goal of getting over 2000 points from a single race. And, well, it happened in the very next round I did, #21 in Gr. 3 at Dragon Trail Gardens (using the FT-1). If only I could achieve all my goals so quickly! :lol:

By the end of stage 3, it was becoming clear that I had a shot at finishing 1st in Switzerland and top 100 EMEA. I did every single round in stage 4, having a nice battle with RGS_Style for 1st in Switzerland, resulting in:

upload_2019-9-14_15-9-4.png

I just missed 20K points, but other than that I'm very pleased with this result. Towards the end, I dipped into 60K DR and was usually in 3rd or 2nd split, giving ~2400 points for victory. If I could compete at this level for the whole season, an even better result might be possible... We'll see.

What changed from last year? The foundation was no doubt improving my general pace by participating in WRS time trials. I highly recommend doing so! There's a new event every week, and every time I've participated, I learned something new which made me that little bit faster.

Building on that, my qualifying has improved a lot. Last year that was a weakness, usually starting somewhere mid-field or towards the back. This year I usually started in the top half, getting 7 poles. Apart from better pace, this was possible due to things I learned from watching @Tidgney's livestreams and tutorial videos, helping me get closer to my potential for the best qualifying lap.

Of course, at the end of the day I also simply put in more time and effort on practice lobbies and thinking about strategy.

Last edited:
This was just posted by PD today:

With the beginning of the '2019/20 Exhibition Series - Season 1' starting on Wednesday September 18, the duration of the races in both the Nations Cup and Manufacturer Series will be extended in all Regions. As a consequence of this change, the start times for each Race Entry will also change.

■ Race Schedule Changes
 ・ The duration of the races will be extended to 60 minutes (from 40 minutes)
 ・ The start times for Race Entries 1-3 will also change;
 ・ The intervals between races will also be extended by 5 minutes.

There are no changes to the number of Race Entries in a day.

■ New Regional Race Entry Start Times
[North America: PDT]
 ・Nations Cup: 15:00, 17:40, 20:20
 ・Manufacturer Series: 16:20, 19:00, 21:40

Thank you for your continued support and please continue to enjoy Gran Turismo Sport!

I'm okay with extending the races, but this means the last of the Manufacturers races will be starting at 12:40am on the East Coast and not ending until close to 2am. This doesn't seem very ideal. Finishing at midnight before was just fine.

I understand that West Coast people obviously miss the early races if they work a normal 9-5, but on the weekend they are at an ideal time. Even on weekends, this can be pretty late for some people. This means to me that a lot of people will only be able to run each races twice at best, maybe even just once.

Last edited:
Well looks like the wish of many players has been granted with longer races incoming for FIA. I for one am looking forward to this but those last races are going to be a late finish if you enter.

At least we now have confirmation the season starts on wednesday.

Just need a schedule now PD!!

New Regional Race Entry Start Times
[Oceania: AEST]
 ・Nations Cup: 17:00, 19:40, 22:20
 ・Manufacturers Series: 18:20, 21:00, 23:40

Should be good but I don't think the final timeslot is worthwhile if you want decent points.
Yeah well not gonna do many since just exhibition, hopefully it changes for the proper season next year otherwise there might be some very late nights

What makes no sense to me is that it claims there will be approximately 5 more minutes of break time between races. Yet they have added 20 minutes to each race, and the races are now staggered 20 minutes further apart. Where is the 5 minutes coming from?

Yeah gunna make things tough. There was plenty of time to add another 5ish laps to many races within the current time slots, seems excessive.

What makes no sense to me is that it claims there will be approximately 5 more minutes of break time between races. Yet they have added 20 minutes to each race, and the races are now staggered 20 minutes further apart. Where is the 5 minutes coming from?

I agree with the sentiment here. I'm glad they are making the races longer but it seems they've gone way overboard with what they've done with the time slots. I kinda hope that participation in the last Manufacturers time slot is so low that they re-jig this again.

Looks like I'll very much be doing a single Manufacturers slot. 18:20 will be a challenge and I just plain don't want to be starting an event at 23:40. I feel very sorry for people in time zones where it's even later.

Looking forward to extended races though 👍

Looks like I'll very much be doing a single Manufacturers slot. 18:20 will be a challenge and I just plain don't want to be starting an event at 23:40. I feel very sorry for people in time zones where it's even later.

I agree, especially on a Wednesday. I'm not home from work in time for the 6.40 and 11.40 is just far too late with work the following morning. So 9pm it is. :indiff:

The whole point of the exhibition series is to try out things, so I think we will just have to see how it all plays out. I only tend to do 1 race in each series a night, so I am not against the whole bigger time spread/longer races thing.

Only thing I am holding out for is the tyre wear tweak I have been banging on about all year. All Polyphony needs to do is make all the cars tyre wear closer to each other (gr.3 and gr.4) and you will see better races. Doesn't have to be a massive change, but in Gr.4 tyres on one car (Peugeot) shouldn't last less than a quarter of the laps that you can do in another car (Alfa). Gr.3 isn't as bad, but still the Mercedes has a big advantage over the MR cars (poor Audi).

They will still have all their handling characteristics, but squishing the tyre wear rate together across all cars will make everyones race pace a bit closer.

Longer races may be better but one obvious problem is some people may DNF cos of how lengthy the races are. I can see this being a problem for bottom splits. Quit during the race, then that means your DR suffers.

PD could be trialling this just like they trialled heavy damage, so this change may not be permanent.

So last manu race would be at 1:40 AM in Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay. Think about that for a moment.
With this schedule I get 2 shots at nations and only one at manu.
The horrors of working the night shift.

So with 60 min race duration, 10 of which is qualifying time, 5~10 mins of fluff time, the actual races will be 40~45 mins in length? Seems ok to me, though ~30 would be optimal in my opinion.

Would be nice to see the race calendar though.:boggled:

So with 60 min race duration, 10 of which is qualifying time, 5~10 mins of fluff time, the actual races will be 40~45 mins in length? Seems ok to me, though ~30 would be optimal in my opinion.

Would be nice to see the race calendar though.:boggled:

They do refer to the current race length as being 40 mins, which must refer to the entire event length rather than actual race length. Even then the events were often shorter than 40 mins.

We'll have to wait and see how long these new races really are. I'm hoping for around double the length, so 30mins as you suggest.

EDIT New schedules are up. Manufacturers kicks off with Gr.3 for 15 laps of the Red Bull Ring............ in the rain :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back