FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got myself a wheel (G29) for Christmas and after a day of practicing I decided to do the Manu Cup. I had to do 2 Manufacturer's races today because I was dropped into a lower split due to the game being stupid and ruining my SR at Monza by refusing to give me any clean sectors after my first pit stop (I stayed on track and avoided contact for most of the race, but after the 1st pit stop, I had a red lap time counter for the rest of the race).

Anyway, in the first one, with a room full of people with DR A to D, SR S, I put my Corvette 5th on the grid, then promptly spun myself out coming to take the start :banghead:. By the time I got it turned around I was in 13th. I worked my way up to 7th before pitting and was consistently the fastest car on track. After pitting, I squabbled with an Audi that turned out to not have enough fuel on board, and a Mustang trying a no-stopper on hard tires. They tangled with each other and I passed them both, only for the Audi to pass me going into the final chicane and the Mustang to spin me immediately afterwards after braking too late. That dropped me to 7th where I eventually finished, despite having a car that could've won on pace (fastest lap by 0.8s). The 'Stang driver apologized, but I had already been planning to run another race when I saw how low the points were for this one.

In the second race, I put my car 8th on the grid and finished 9th. Nothing too eventful happened aside from me failing to hold off 2 people who apparently took better care of their tires. Even though this was only my 2nd best result, I ended up scoring more points (115) than my best result, which was 6th at Yamagiwa+Miyabi but only good for 111 points.

As far as I can tell I'm maybe 0.5s faster with my new wheel than I was with a controller, and I don't know if I would've even been able to qualify or finish in the top 10 if I'd had to use my controller. I'm hoping I can find at least a few more fractions of a second before I plateau, because I'd like to be able to compete for wins on tracks other than ovals...

After getting beat up in Sport Mode this morning I started the night off with Nations in hopes of getting my SR back up for Manu. Luckily I was able to run away with it and get my SR back up in the process. :)
D782845E-E796-461C-B1EE-7259F8B37A3C.jpeg

Manu was a much tougher room after bringing my SR back up. Qualified 5th and had an awesome full race battle with the BMW that started behind me, it came down to 3 tenths in the end. What a fun race this was! :)
B7707864-AEDA-48A7-8940-6D7812FCAC23.jpeg

Edit: The Manu Race. :)

Last edited:
Couldn't get a pass for Christmas Day! (Not that I'd have been able to race anyway being sparked out by 6pm:D!) So didn't bother practicing for either of the races but I'll be at Sardegna on Saturday in a Toyota to get my 5th and final score in the Nations Cup.

Watched a few of the replays, JUST HOW THE ACTUAL 🤬 has Firestorm gone over the line for his hot lap with about 75% hybrid power left?! I've barely got 25% after accelerating out of the last corner in the Audi and even the Toyota doesn't hold on to it's battery around here!

My Christmas Night:

Not sure if its the day itself, but it felt abit different tonight (in a good way). Things just went absolutely right, in some cases even better then expected.

Hope the night went just as well for many of you. Merry Christmas, Everybody :cheers:

Yesterday i did 2 nation races .
First one i've tested a no stop on hard tyres with the M4 but it was a very bad option. The tyres not the car , M4 is fantastic.
Later i did another race in a very top room and still BMW M4 , medium 10 laps hard 7.
Always fighting in top 5 , very hard , clean intense racing.
Finish 3rd , alone in a field of F50.
Very good experience.
Manufacturer finish 8 in top room too. Viper on SPA was a decent combo.
Very fun christmas night overal ,playing with my favorite toys

How does the points system work , do you get more points if you move up from the bottom.
I got 19 points for a win
But I see other get more?

Couldn't get a pass for Christmas Day! (Not that I'd have been able to race anyway being sparked out by 6pm:D!) So didn't bother practicing for either of the races but I'll be at Sardegna on Saturday in a Toyota to get my 5th and final score in the Nations Cup.

Watched a few of the replays, JUST HOW THE ACTUAL 🤬 has Firestorm gone over the line for his hot lap with about 75% hybrid power left?! I've barely got 25% after accelerating out of the last corner in the Audi and even the Toyota doesn't hold on to it's battery around here!

I think he is riding the brake by the tiniest amount coming out of the penultimate corner, enough that hybrid boost doesn't kick in straight away. Doing it myself I've been able to get across the line with about 50%, I'm not quite sure how he is keeping so much though and still carrying 182MPH under the blue Sardegna bridge.

How does the points system work , do you get more points if you move up from the bottom.
I got 19 points for a win
But I see other get more?
The higher rated the race is the more points there are available. So a race full of say, C/C ranked drivers will have far less points available than a race full of A/S drivers

Brake balance has a huge effect on regeneration in some cars. Try moving the balance all the way to the rear and you’ll see that it charges quicker, some cars only have MGU-K and charge from the rear axle. Some cars have an MGU-H (the Porsche I think) and recharge from the turbo when you’re on the straights.
It requires a different approach to corners but this is the same IRL as drivers have had to adapt to the increased braking force from the motor generator unit which is almost always on the rear axle.

Brake balance has a huge effect on regeneration in some cars. Try moving the balance all the way to the rear and you’ll see that it charges quicker, some cars only have MGU-K and charge from the rear axle. Some cars have an MGU-H (the Porsche I think) and recharge from the turbo when you’re on the straights.
It requires a different approach to corners but this is the same IRL as drivers have had to adapt to the increased braking force from the motor generator unit which is almost always on the rear axle.
I know BB helps regenerate it but it's not about regeneration, the point is coming out of the last hairpin on 100% I drop to about 25-30% before I'm going quick enough for the hybrid to cut out, Firestorm has more like 70-75% left by the time he's up to speed! As @SmokeyMR2 says it will be him riding the brakes a little on the exit to stop the hybrid deploying as early but that extra 40-50% charge at the start of the lap makes a huge difference by the end of it. It's not a technique I've tried but something I'll have a go at at some point soon.

For this upcoming nations race though I'll just be eking out an extra couple of percent for the battery here and there in the Toyota with BB and lifting and coasting

The real life braking technique i've seen in some real racing youtube youtube channels , don't seem to be the best in gtsport .
They says to floor the brake as quick as possible and release it smoothly till the apex more or less..
In gtsport this technique works but eat o lot of tyres.
Sometime when i'm in the stream of another player , i brake smoothly and earlier to avoid a contact.
Doing this , you can reach again your opponent closing the gap modulating your brakes and afterall , you're as performant as an agressive braking technique.
Tyre wear is also a lot better this way.
If i remember well @Tidgney talk about this in a chapter of his driving school.

Last weeks Manufacturers race at Tsukuba;

Did the late race in the nations last night,used the '01 GT3 and qualified ok for fifth on the grid, started on hard tyres and struggled being under constant attack from F50's in the breaking zones and Racing Concepts (the really ugly Toyota) in the fast turns. Pitted from 9th once for the mediums at the end of lap nine, rejoined15th passed a few people with better tyres and ended up 7th with a clean race bonus :)

Manufacturers Rd 9
So why not stay up until 23:40 after eating and drinking way too much? Turns out, because I can't get the Gr.3 Hyundai around Spa at anything like a respectful lap time. A few laps of practice showed me to be well off the pace. Still, my hope was that the lobbies were be quiet and I'd luck out with a lobby where I could still earn some decent points. Unfortunately during matching I'm seeded 20th.... Fortunately the servers were clearly still having issues as SEVEN people disconnected during matchmaking! Thanks to the new points system that means I'm guaranteed points for13th :)

So I qualify 13th (obviously), a casual 2.7 seconds off the leader. The main benefit of a slow Hyundai though is that it doesn't eat tyres and is economical on fuel. If this was a road car it would be a good choice on running costs.

I go with an all medium tyres strategy pitting at the end of lap 5, no need for fuel. By some miracle I actually get up to 10th and in the closing laps have a fun duel with a 458. They catch me approaching the bus stop so I don't bother defending, expecting them to drive off into the distance. However they struggle with Eau Rouge / Radillion and I pass them on the straight. The next lap, the same thing happens again. On the last lap I defend the inside into the bus stop. I see them brake later than me and expect them to hang it around the outside so leave the space, but fortunately they back out of it. I know first hand what the 458 is like on worn tyres so perhaps they were just trying to hang on. It was a fun battle and a very unexpected top 10 finish in a race where I had no right being anywhere near that far up the field. For once the GT gods gave me a lucky break!

1.jpg
2.jpg

As others said. You have to step on the brake a bit coming out of the final corner. What I did was, bb +5. As soon as the autodrive goes out I step hard on the breaks. Once I'm coming out of the corner on 1st gear I keep my foot on the break, just barely, all the way to 3rd gear. You'll have plenty of battery, try recharge a bit on t3 and 4 and you should have enough for the last corner, you really want to get the whole boost there.

As others said. You have to step on the brake a bit coming out of the final corner. What I did was, bb +5. As soon as the autodrive goes out I step hard on the breaks. Once I'm coming out of the corner on 1st gear I keep my foot on the break, just barely, all the way to 3rd gear. You'll have plenty of battery, try recharge a bit on t3 and 4 and you should have enough for the last corner, you really want to get the whole boost there.
I think there must not be many people who have mastered this yet, as I've just gone 33rd in EMEA with a lap that had several imperfections, which is an abnormally high position for me.

I think there must not be many people who have mastered this yet, as I've just gone 33rd in EMEA with a lap that had several imperfections, which is an abnormally high position for me.
Sounds a bit like cheating but as in real motorsports; if a loop hole exists and you can exploit it, make use of it before it gets banned. Because every other ****er on the track will be doing it soon.

The real life braking technique i've seen in some real racing youtube youtube channels , don't seem to be the best in gtsport .
They says to floor the brake as quick as possible and release it smoothly till the apex more or less..
Sometime when i'm in the stream of another player , i brake smoothly and earlier to avoid a contact.
Doing this , you can reach again your opponent closing the gap modulating your brakes and afterall , you're as performant as an agressive braking technique.

Yup :), braking at 80% saves alot more tyres than 100% braking so if you're following someone just cruise at 50% braking, braking early and you'll save a ton. Of course going for a move you'll need that 100% but hey better tyres at the end right :D!

If there was no tyre wear you could do the real life braking stuff, but ye in a race with extreme tyre wear it starts to become useless :(!

Yup :), braking at 80% saves alot more tyres than 100% braking so if you're following someone just cruise at 50% braking, braking early and you'll save a ton. Of course going for a move you'll need that 100% but hey better tyres at the end right :D!

If there was no tyre wear you could do the real life braking stuff, but ye in a race with extreme tyre wear it starts to become useless :(!
When following closely you should be braking like this anyway to avoid contact. The only problem is that 90% of players just think they can do qualifying laps every lap and often end up rear ending you as they try to be the last of the late breakers. So watch your mirrors.

Cheers. It'll be a technique I try at some point soon, not sure my left foot is capable of being delicate enough at the moment and I'll probably come to a dead stop!:D

Sounds a bit like cheating but as in real motorsports; if a loop hole exists and you can exploit it, make use of it before it gets banned. Because every other ****er on the track will be doing it soon.

No cheating at all, it's just how the car works. What I do is just the lazy way to get battery power at the start so I don't have to worry about it later.
Better drivers will be doing what I do but also managing to get extra power at other parts of the track. Drivers who can pull this off and mantain good pace can have a nice edge for the race.

Also, about my previous post. It's BRAKES, NOT BREAKS. Just noticed LOL

Do you use TC?
Not sure but I heard TC may help you drive but eats up your tyres due to the amount off sliding.

Do you use TC?
Not sure but I heard TC may help you drive but eats up your tyres due to the amount off sliding.
No i don't. Only TC1 for standing starts and sometime under rain to gain traction safely saving tyres out low speed corners.
Out of those situations , i never use it .

If PD were concerned about people gaming the boost on the Audi by braking while accelerating, they might implement the system properly and let you deploy it yourself. You know, like you're supposed to. Like the game has the function to on other cars with similar systems.

Yay, Nations on the 31st, I'll be able to use the Supra at Spa. Also end of January at Brands Hatch. Still a shame it's not selectable in Manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back