FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
For Nations I'll start with the Crown. Then, Crown Safety car at 20:40. If I'm still not booted, finish off with the 993 at 23:20.

That was a tough race. With so many pit strategies you can’t really tell what position you’re in until around 5 laps to go!
Was optimistic about the race after putting in some quick lap times in practice. Tire wear is just nasty with the Lamborghini though so qualified 10th. Got bogged down in the midfield scrap for a while and didn’t really get into a proper rhythm until after people started taking their pit stops leaving the track clear. I started on hards as knew softs would be wasted in traffic.

Once is enough round that track so will stick with 8th and call it a night :)

View attachment 875373
that livery...

So, strats for Christmas day racing look like this:

Nations: After trying out multiple cars, the BMW M4 seems to be a comfortable choice for me. Not too tail happy and with some smooth driving (at least in my hands) isn't too harsh with Tire Wear as the time loss wasn't all that huge. When I pitted for Mediums on Lap 12, I was catching someone in the 2001 911 GT3 (who hadn't pitted yet) and just on the first lap out, chopped off two seconds, then manage to cut down 4-5 seconds, effectively being only a car length behind them going into the final corner. So a 1 stopper from Hards to Mediums on Lap 12 looks to be the way to go for me.

Manufacturers: For once, I can actually use the car and not have to tip toe. From the incredibly close race I just had, a One stopper is a no brainer but with a twist: Fuel actually matters this time so take it when you can. Forgot to take some myself during that stop and if I hadn't cranked up the Fuel to 5 for two laps (In the Lexus of all cars), I would've had a bad race (which I completed with just 0.1 in the tank.). Starting on Hards and pitting on Lap 6 for Mediums (and some fuel) is the direction for this one.

Ohh so that was you I was have a dual with around the mid part of the race. Good stuff :cheers:
I’m not sure the hards are even worth running in the manufacturers cup?

For Nations I'll start with the Crown. Then, Crown Safety car at 20:40. If I'm still not booted, finish off with the 993 at 23:20.
Welp, scrap that SC plan. It's been changed from N300 to GR.X. I'll just run the one race.

They are required if I'm not mistaken. That and because I am simply not fast enough to make speed on the Mediums work in the beginning of the race, I just rely on making up time on others as they lose grip over the laps.

They are required if I'm not mistaken

I don't think there is a required compound in Wednesday's Manu race.

Screenshot_20191224-173510.png

Glad it's not the X-Bow or SFR.
EMnSXPnU4AAF9yX

Just wish PD would restrict cars to their classes. Not tune up or de-tune cars.

Given how little fuel you start with, mediums are probably the way to go, as you will inevitably have to pit. Unless you want to mix treads, there’s not much need for hards, unless you want to try and make them last in order to cut down the pit time, but then that increases the risk of an accident in the last laps. There is no tire requirement this round.

No big surprise here, but I wasn't "last". Someone DNF'd in an S-FR. CRB netted me 85,000Cr. Didn't bother to use the RH tyres, as I knew I'd be down the order at the end. 20 seconds behind 16th. The Crown would suit a high speed track. It's got the legs.
EMnetpcUEAAK2LU

So... No FIA today :odd:

certainly looks like it for Asia/Oceania, unless the load dies off for the 12:40am slot. Don’t know of I can be bothered staying up to find out. I imagine the issue will repeat itself in other regions as it is due to seasonal traffic

Given how little fuel you start with, mediums are probably the way to go, as you will inevitably have to pit. Unless you want to mix treads, there’s not much need for hards, unless you want to try and make them last in order to cut down the pit time, but then that increases the risk of an accident in the last laps. There is no tire requirement this round.
You can’t mix tyres anymore since the update and there is enough fuel to do a no stop if you short shift.

Many Race, SR S lobby. Get punted off during quali, get 1,5 sec penalty as I was punted into a wall at Radillon. Have to do two laps to get rid of penalty. Failed to set quali time. start of race, make up 5 places due to people getting punted off isn’t the hairpin. Get punted off myself in Radillon, into wall again, get 1,5 sec penalty and damaged engine and suspension. Exit game. Going to turn on PC for some clean racing in open lobbies in a game that doesn’t have an SR or SA system, but somehow manages to be much cleaner.

I'm happy to report that despite the server issues going around, I was able to take part in a few EMEA races tonight:

Nations Cup (17:00):
Started with the 17:00 Nations race, where I went with a festively-wrapped M4 into what was effectively a one-make F50 lobby. Didn't have the strongest start to qualifying, picking up a penalty on my first flying lap by sliding wide at the final S's. Took on fresh Mediums the very next lap and eventually set a 1:36.879 to go 9th.

Soon found myself in a train of cars fighting for 7th, though was unable to gain much ground after losing a place on the first lap. On Lap 4, the French F50 behind me makes an audacious move at Turn 1, snatching two places in one go as he takes the apex. Kept following the group for what was now 8th as they scrapped up ahead and the French player got a track limits penalty. Two laps further on, I run wide at the start of the final complex, allowing the latter back past while at the same time drifting onto the grass once more. Another penalty picked up, which to be honest was a better alternative to making contact with him on exit.

Given how my practice runs went, I wasn't too concerned about gaining places as much as getting the M4 home as gently and consistently as possible. Indeed, I got back to the tail of the 8th-place train as early as Lap 9, setting a pair of 1:37.4 lap times in the process. On Lap 10, the black and orange F50 suddenly slows down and ghosts through turn 8, taking him out contention or the time being (can't remember where he finished in the end, will have to check later). Again, I was unable to gain much following the group up ahead, and eventually swapped for the mandatory Hards on Lap 13. From there, it was a case of getting the M4 to the end, taking advantage of penalties and getting involved in a few more battles to finish 12th. Though my initial score of 153 points wasn't going to count towards my top five scores, I was content at the time with making this my solitary Nations run for the evening.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191225175022.png

Manufacturer Series (18:20):
Going into Manufacturers, I was fairly confident that I was up for another great run around Spa. Indeed, my initial practice run went so well that I didn't bother doing any more test lobbies, knowing that the Citroen felt better in those conditions than in Free Practice.

That being said, as the French manufacturer's only representative in my lobby, things didn't start out as smoothly as expected. Understeer and track limits were a recurring issue throughout my FP sessions, and the first flying lap was no exception. Messed up my line through Eau Rouge/Raidillon while following a Porsche through, which lead to us being slapped with 0.5 second penalties. Aborted our laps and pitted for fresh Mediums; the result for me was a smooth, if tentative time of 2:18.512, enough to put me 7th on the grid at the last moment.

Before the race, I had committed to a one-stop on Mediums and Hards, but didn't notice until the last second that there was no tyre requirement in force. Despite this, the pressure was eased on the first lap when the Porsche starting behind spun off before he made it through the bus stop chicane, allowing me a clear run to follow the TX3 Subaru closely and save fuel. We caught up to another Porsche (white, red and black) and a Mercedes fighting for 4th, though I was happy to sit back and manage my tyres and fuel as best as possible. The Mercedes serves a penalty, promoting me to 6th as I begin seriously challenging the Subaru for position. For the remainder of the first stint, I was firmly in the middle of the scrap, watching the two cars up ahead scrap together while at the same time trying to defend my position from the Merc. There were a few occasions where I got a much better run than the duo; on Lap 5, we enter the braking zone for Les Combes three-abreast; me on the outside, the Subaru on the inside. I somehow avoid contact as the Subaru squeezes past into 4th, but the battling continues well until I dive into the pits.

Now, I had anticipated a major drop-off in pace upon switching to Hards, but immediately fought back with a strong run on the Porsche and a blue Aston Martin down Kemmel straight. The Aston twitches wildly out of 7th on the exit of Les Combes, receiving a little tap from the former in the process. On the run into the bus stop, the Mercedes makes an ambitious lunge down the inside of another Porsche (default livery) and myself; he spears the Porsche off half-way through, slapping himself with a whopping 6-second penalty as he biffs me onto the inside kerb. Coupled with the 2-second penalty received by the first Porsche for tapping the Aston, and I momentarily snatch 4th on the road on the next trip round Les Combes. Given that I was on the less effective compound, fighting the Porsche and Subaru again proved to be a tense and topsy-turvy affair. The Subaru picks up a track limits penalty at Eau Rouge, the Porsche breaks away, and I appear to be set for 5th in an increasingly slippery Citroen. On the final lap, the Subaru makes an absolutely stunning move under braking for the bus stop, passing me around the outside with plenty of space to spare. Massive props to him for making it stick; a perfect end to what was an exciting run for 6th place and 211, later 212 points.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191225190944.png

With this, plus my Gr.1 victory in Nations and 3rd place in @Bivittavus88's R.S.01 one-make last month, I genuinely believe that Spa is becoming one of my speciality circuits...

Nations Cup (19:40):
Buoyed by my Manufacturers result, I eventually thought about seeing whether I could do better in Nations. Stuck with the M4 and entered another sea of F50s. Set two great laps in qualifying to go 3rd fastest (best time a 1:36.549), despite getting a little too close to one of the Ferraris near the end of the session. No penalties this time, but forgot to record a capture for myself (d'oh!).

Started off following the top two closely, but gradually got shuffled down the order as the train for the lead grew to as many as seven cars. There was plenty of close, clean racing either way, and the group built up such a big advantage over 8th place that I didn't feel bothered about losing my chance for a podium spot. Decided to stick around with the group until Lap 14; by then, grip was getting a bit sketchy through the last complex. Rejoined on Hards in the middle of a new group fighting for 7th, and was set to follow home in 8th once more had pitted in. On the last lap, the Italian Ferrari makes a huge mistake under braking into Turn 1, carrying too much speed through the apex and sliding onto the runoff. Back to 7th I went, for 205 points.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191225202956.png

A very enjoyable evening's worth of racing, and another pair of handy points scores for my overall results. If I haven't done so already, may I wish everyone on GTP a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

So they aren't it seems. Still no way I can make the Lexus last long on Mediums until the one stop so I just use the harder compound, wait for people to lose grip and fly off the circuit as their softer compounds drop off, then pit for fresh tires (with abit of fuel) and that's it.

So after finding another practice room and trying out the RM only strat, its no where near as bad as I thought. At most, I only lost a second when the wear kicks in and was able to make it to Lap 6 before pitting. Guess I can scrap that plan then, though I am still going for fuel since shortshifting is not an option for me.

So, with not much practice I tried the manufacturers cup session at 21:00 and failed miserably, qualified 15 finished 12 :irked:( I think) I was disappointed by the result so I went again at 23:20. Qualified 3rd finished 2nd :D. I was practically glued to the rear bumper of GTRP_DonAlfredo for most of the race. Nearly caught him in the last lap but settled for 2nd rather than attempting a risky move.

Last edited:
Managed to win my manufacturers race pretty comfortably was made easier by the fact that 3 cars behind me picked up 7 second penalties each by the first sector , how they were SR S Ive no idea .
Stuck with the one stop RM strategy I’d practiced all week and actually produced my best race finish time .

Attachments

• 904FEF66-52C1-44C0-B359-17307EC03F91.jpeg
    904FEF66-52C1-44C0-B359-17307EC03F91.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 19
Well I had to race to day @ spa FIA both full of people that can't control their car or like to ram .
1st race I did ok but still got if did better fit 2nd messed up my Q time.
1 at corner I had to take it extra easy because of front driver & tyres still cold.
Lost 2 places and drop a few sec but was ok with it after the long straight I got back up close to them took it easy in the braking not to hit the slower driver got put wide but still keep control.
Had to change my race strategy so back off a bit & sat in 7th place watch the drivers Infront play nasty with each other all in the 1st lap. After a few about 4 laps the cars Infront hit each other off so I moved up from 7th to 4th by the end off the lap pass a porch that was a very clean driver this time.
The p1 driver burnt out its RM so had to pit for RH & gas came out 8th.
The new p1 had RH and just over a 1/2 tank that car started in p3, P2 was on worn RM just over 1/2 tank I was on RM with about 95 % tyre left & more gas than the top 7 including the original p1 that went into the pits that car moved up to 5th by lap by the end of lap 5 this was because of P2 pitting for a fresh set of RM and no gas good pit stop only lost 1 place, by the 4th corner on lap 7 he was on my rear so I decided not to make it easy but not to fight to hard if he pass me which I was expecting.
By lap 8 1st 2nd 3rd was close, p1 on the same RM less than 1/2 tank, P2 on RM that was getting worn already due to the hard pushing but just over 1/4 tank, I was still on my original tyres RM about 80% left and just under 1/2 tank.
1st corner lap 8 p1 lost control and dropped back to p3, that was a nice gift save me passing the car later, I knew that car didn't pit yet and on Q was 2sec slower than me.
I decided to watch the gap but didn't notice the original p1 was now in 4 and getting closer.
Time to push and drive closer to my race pace I just had enough to get to the end but still had to save fuel or pit & get new tyre & gas then hope I can climb back to p2 I was not expecting to win just take it easy for the last 3 laps.
End of lap 9 I remembered the original p1 & P2 was behind me both close to each other which means fighting which hopefully will help me.
The gap was nice about 2 sec between me in P2 & or, p1 was a good distance but decided to pit on lap 10:cheers::lol::lol: to put on new RM and gas.
I was now p1 and trying to save gas & not push to hard on my RM from start @ 60/50 % fuel with just under 1 lap.
I had no choice but to race hard when I can save on points I know I can without losing to much time. I know the car behind was pushing hard and I know the cars push to hard and wear out their tyres.
Tell the truth I was happy if I ended up 2nd or 3rd as long as I had a clean race no penalties.
But the time I went wide lost my 50% extra.
End of the race:

Me P1 50% front 40% rear RM just enough gas (2119.1)
P3 passed p3 on the long straight just after the long fast left.
P2 80% RH gas just just enough gas (824.4)
P4 had passed p3.
P3 had fresh RM just just enough gas (84.8)
P4 had 40% left 45% right just just enough gas (108.6)

Looking at the gas figures at the end I could off saved my self some stress & push hard ...
But I won .

The turtle can out think the rabbit
PS_Messages_20191226_024903.jpg

Back to my terrible Manu results. Second split CSA region, qualified 16th with the WRX having only done two TT laps at Spa for practice. My daughter started uploading a video in the middle of the race, destroying my connection, and the lag caused quite a few incidents with other drivers. Sorry to anyone involved. Already got a reprimand in my inbox. I probably also lost my perfect SR 99 streak I had since day one but can't check since Kudos is not working.

I am going to quit GTS until the next official FIA tournament. Twice a week is just too much. It takes too much time away from my ACC and RBR and DR2.0 leagues. I wish PD would mix things up in the off-season, like have a couple one-make championships to have fun in. GTS matchmaking and player count is second to none, but I guess it's getting a bit stale for me. Anyway, been at it for two years so maybe it's time for a break, anyway. Thanks to all who I have raced with the last 26 months. I'll be back when the official season starts.

DSC_0595.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back