FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Race slot 1: Bump drafted my #1 plated 458 to 8th on grid. Stuck to the back as much I could. Missed 2 major incidents to be involved in a third on lap 2. Took advantage of the draft to finish up in 8th.

Missed slot 2 due to a need to go get dinner and felt this slot to be the best. Highly recommend Jersey Mikes.

Race 3 slot: tried the NSX and Lambo, but went back to the 458 come race entry. Solid 10th grid spot. A few guys who struggled to keep their car in a straight line, but a 5th place and Fast Lap.

I had been humming Southern Rock Hits all day as being in the oval/NASCAR mood. But by this time I was belting out the classics.

Race slot 4: A shift from a high B driver to bottom A driver as a result of the previous 2 attempts was a pleasant surprise. Stuck with the META to a 7th on the grid. Very clean race until we got to the front stretch to start lap 2. Guy bumped me after using my car to avoid going into the pits. rolled home to a 15th. Nice to see @MIE1992 get a podium from a very questionable pole (someone caused a crash at the line and he was really the only to get through).

Race slot 5: Make or break. Probably should’ve called it after race three, but this is fun. 10th on grid with @Trone_Colby and a few others I’ve seen tonight. Had a guy not realize where the pit entrance wall was and entered the shadow realm in a 260 mph head on. Hope all is well with him. The sound scared me to death. Wasn’t 100% sold on the driver quality of this race though. But couldn’t back out one bit given that last race. Missed two big ones. Like half the field collisions. And stumbled home to 7th. 3 top 10s in 4 races. But nothing noteworthy expect that was pretty cool.

Yes what a race in that slot. I hit by this guy. In the post race he said he was taken out but didn’t know who. I watched the replay and I see he meant me but it was his own fault. You be the judge:

After that, I fell to 19th. Second lap I pushed and finished 9th (from 16th) with the fastest lap

Now, here’s the destruction. There was one so bad, I had to make a video solely on it.

Here’s part 2. Random bits across two races.

This is it... my 500th race start in Sport Mode. Having picked up 4th place in the GT LM all the way back in Round 2, could this be a chance to go one better on our second Manufacturers meeting at the Red Bull Ring? Let's find out!

15:00 Manufacturers
No teammates this time, but a very close mix of cars including:
  • 4C (x2, one by 'wifi password')
  • 911 RSR (x5)
  • AMG GT3 (x2)
  • Atenza (x1)
  • GT by Citroen (x1)
  • GT-R (x2)
  • M6 (x1)
  • R8 (x2)
  • Supra (x3)
An even closer qualifying session, with just over eight tenths separating the entire pack. Stayed out for two laps, the fastest a 1:28.163, and was initially on course to improve further until I missed the apex at Rindt. Thankfully, I was able to pull into the pits immediately and put on a fresh set of Softs; set purple first and second sectors on my final attempt to set a 1:27.788 - just 0.268 off pole and enough to start 10th! Would have been even better if I hadn't gone too hot into the final corner, but a great lap nonetheless. Though about getting rid of Hards immediately like last time, but decided to start on Mediums in the hope that I could end up with a faster car towards the end.

Enjoyed a clean back-and-forth battle between the Kelloggs Supra and a Spanish Porsche on the first lap, then began to get my hopes up as the M6 and another Porsche in front picked up penalties. Kelloggs Supra fought back with a tidy lunge at Remus, but I respond with a cutback at Schlossgold that puts me on the outside going into Rauch. Tried to leave enough space for him, but went into the gravel and lost a few places in the process. Frustrating, but the Ford feels good on Mediums and there are more penalties being served elsewhere.

By Lap 8, I had decided to get the Hards out of the way on my first stop, while gradually closing in on the trio of Spaniards in 8th-10th (GT-R, Kelloggs Supra, AMG). Imagine where we would've been without that off? Originally thought about pitting in at that point, but chose to hang around and follow the GT-R in the very next lap. Said GT-R nudges me onto the runoff at Remus during our outlap; while he picks up a 2-second penalty, any advantage the Ford has is negated by the refuelling on my second stop. Leaving Softs until last should have given me hope to make up some lost ground, despite my initial dismay at languishing near the back with only eight laps to go.

The Spanish GT-R who tapped me earlier wipes the Kelloggs Supra out, and his 3-second penalty gives me a free run to hunt down the Spanish Supra (default livery) in 12th. This I did while briefly setting the fastest lap of the race (1:28.266), and we enjoy a close and clean fight for what ultimately becomes 9th place. Had a stronger run out of Red Bull Mobile on Lap 15, but decided against sowing up the move as the German Audi was coming out of the pits anyway. Saved enough of my fuel load to start revving higher, and went side-by-side with Supra between Remus and Schlossgold. Tried to outbrake him and dive up the inside both times, but ran out of room on the second attempt and ended up tapping the Supra. Backed out as I realised the move wasn't on, but spent the next couple of laps trading places with the Supra as a Portuguese Porsche and the Spanish GT-R followed closely behind.

Sadly, those good vibes were not to last. Coming out of Turn 6 on Lap 18, I get another run on the Supra and short-shift to moderate my speed going into the final two corners. Upon shifting into 6th the Ford lurches forward and lightly taps the Supra, costing me momentum and 10th to the Porsche. Under the old system, that would've been the end of it, but unfortunately that 'bump draft' gave the Supra a 1-second penalty through no fault of his own. It was, to put it mildly, very embarrassing on my part; I felt so worked up about that incident that I came close to bottling it under braking for Niki Lauda Kurve. It didn't matter whether I'd jump those on the final pitstop cycle; at this point, I didn't feel deserving of a top-10 finish. Decided in my guilt to hang back behind the Supra as he served the penalty between Turns 6 and 7. Meanwhile, the GT-R, having pinballed one of the 4Cs (not 'wifi password') into the Porsche at Remus, takes his Spanish compatriot and himself out at Schlossgold, leaving us in peace all the way to the checkered flag.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200729155027.png

Not the best way to celebrate 500 Sport Mode race starts, but it could've been a lot worse. Again, I can't fault the Ford too much as it felt pleasant and consistent on both of the softer compounds, if inevitably thirsty, and the battles I had with both Supras were mostly satisfying. Apologised to the Spanish one afterwards for giving him the penalty (and I had yet to experience the current 'bump draft' ones before that point), but he was quick to compliment my clean driving otherwise. By 2020 standards, 9th and 185 points seem like another solid result in the GT LM, but no doubt the potential was there for something even better.

F6A6419F-F034-4FAD-88F5-D8FA8C8A6A06.jpeg

Crazily went into this not having done a single lap of practice. Didn’t even do the warm up lap before qualifying! :lol:

As expected, didn’t qualify too well. Gradually got faster but ran out of laps. Hate starting middle of the pack as get confused what tires to pick :lol: Went with Mediums. Everyone around me must have gone for mediums too as we were all evenly paced for the first few laps. Came in lap 7 for Hards and then lap 8 for Softs. Was dead last after 12 laps which was a bit demoralising, but slowly worked my way up passing people and others pitting. Pleased with the result in the end!

And....come on....how close was that to finally becoming an A driver!!! :lol:

2B3478D6-75E0-47BD-8C4D-1C4EDC54C3AB.jpeg

Manufacturers

15:00

With slipstream seemingly being more important than ever in qualifying and me not having a tow left me starting in 14th and on the medium tyres.

First couple of laps and on being on the medium tyre I dropped to 16th. I managed to stay with the pack and gained a few spots as people made mistakes to be in 10th on lap 7 for hard tyres. A quiet lap on the hard tyres and I pitted again rejoining in 14th behind a Porsche.

Lap 11 and a questionable move into Remus gave me a 1 second penalty. After serving it I eventually got past a Subaru on lap 13 and past the Porsche as they pitted lap 14. Now In 9th I catch up to the V12 Vantage and GR supra as they're fighting ahead and get past the Toyota into Schlossgold on lap 16 and the Aston on lap 18 after a small fight only for the game to give me a penalty as they swerve into me and then a 2 second penalty after that as a Toyota tries to go around the outside of Rindt.

I finished in 9th, still a good result from 14th in a non power car but really should have been 6th. Want to go again here and try for more points.

16:20

Completely mucked my final lap and therefore a half second improvement dropping me to 15th instead of about 10th.

Again I started on the medium tyres plumping for the same strategy as last time. The start was interesting as I somehow got a 1 second penalty on lap 1 as someone rejoined without looking where they were going. Turned out to be lucky as I gained a few places as cars ahead went of at Schlossgold and was up to 13th. Now I had a new problem in the Italian in a monster energy Porsche behind me being a right dirty sod shoving me wide with a dive at Wurth curve of all places dropping me to 14th.

All quite then until lap 5 and a penalty for contact dropped the Italian behind me and then tried everything dirty to get past. Pitted laps 7 and 8 again to rejoin in 17th with no stops to go. Quickly caught the Aston ahead and was really slowing me down but got past on lap 11 for 15th. Now behind that Italian again I quickly caught up on my softer tyres but on lap 13 tried there old tricks of trying to punt me of as I passed. Got past lap 14 thought and quickly pulled away. Got another Porsche into Schlossgold on lap 15 for 11th. Went onto finish 8th with undercuts on others.

Better points but sullied by one particular moron. Leaving it there but 2 races where I gained 5 and 8 places at a track which doesn't suit the car is alright in my books. Time to recover me lost SR from those BS penalties and the idiotic Italian. Also not how I wanted my first 2 races back as an A DR driver to go.

View attachment 944836

Crazily went into this not having done a single lap of practice. Didn’t even do the warm up lap before qualifying! :lol:

As expected, didn’t qualify too well. Gradually got faster but ran out of laps. Hate starting middle of the pack as get confused what tires to pick :lol: Went with Mediums. Everyone around me must have gone for mediums too as we were all evenly paced for the first few laps. Came in lap 7 for Hards and then lap 8 for Softs. Was dead last after 12 laps which was a bit demoralising, but slowly worked my way up passing people and others pitting. Pleased with the result in the end!

And....come on....how close was that to finally becoming an A driver!!! :lol:

View attachment 944837

Were on identical points now with 790 and 3 rounds left to go, good luck!

Any results on the one-stop strategy? Saw some discussion suggesting it ~could work out, at least for a solid result, if not the win, but haven't seen any reports of people actually using it.

I just don't have the ultimate pace on softs, but M's are nice and less than a second off in actual race pace, for me... and with the usual cluster of issues even in a low A-DR lobby, suspect that traffic will be an issue.

Any results on the one-stop strategy? Saw some discussion suggesting it ~could work out, at least for a solid result, if not the win, but haven't seen any reports of people actually using it.

I just don't have the ultimate pace on softs, but M's are nice and less than a second off in actual race pace, for me... and with the usual cluster of issues even in a low A-DR lobby, suspect that traffic will be an issue.

I'm in the same boat, since I feel like I can't get the true pace potential out of the Softs- the difference for me is like 0.6-0.8s. Knowing how qualifying will probably go I'll probably be stuck in the middle and I'll start on Mediums and monitor how the race goes.

Manu at RBR. A track where I have had mixed races in the past. Good FIA races, horrible daily races.

Enter the slot as door #19, I like that. Qualifying was so-so, managed to start as 9.
Started on mediums as I was mid pack,then ran 8 laps, and pitted for hards and no fuel. One slow lap, then in again for softs. Accidentally pressed "do not refuel" and cursed a lot.
Had four laps left in the tank so went for fastest lap on the fumes.
Then back in on lap 11 for gas,came back out as 9, passed one man serving a penalty, then in the slow right after the rear straight one was off and another had 3 seconds penalty to serve.. The Ford GT ahead of me ran wide in the last turn so I gunned it. He turned back on rhe line as I passed so we touched doors but I crossed the line as 4.
Very pleased with my Mustang and the new livery.
PS_Messages_20200729_213545.jpg

Last edited:
With how short the stops at RBR are, I'm not sure a 1 stop is viable, especially with how long the softs last.

That said, I would be curious to see someone try a 1 stop and see how it worked out. :dopey:
What confuses me is that @Mistah_MCA video guides (both this one and the Rd 23 Nations Gr3 event at RBR) list the pit time as ~21 sec...

When I watch the video, it looks like it's more like ~10-11 sec... am I reading that wrong? Both videos note 21 sec pit time... I guess that's the time from pit in/out but not the pit delta?!

At 11 sec for pit stop, the idea for a second stop makes (more) sense, anyway.

Hello, I should be joining you guys in these FIA events soon enough hopefully. When is the next round and what track / race settings? I can't see the upcoming rounds list on the game because I have yet to pick a manufacturer. Dicing between McLaren, Mitsubishi, and Citröen. I like how they all handle. :cheers:

I don't know why I still bother with Manufacturers. After qualifying in 18th, I trundled around to finish 17th after a 1H/10S/8M+20l strategy, only saved from falling further because someone up ahead forgot to use one of the mandatory compounds.

Hello, I should be joining you guys in these FIA events soon enough hopefully. When is the next round and what track / race settings? I can't see the upcoming rounds list on the game because I have yet to pick a manufacturer. Dicing between McLaren, Mitsubishi, and Citröen. I like how they all handle. :cheers:

The next Manufacturer round is this Saturday (as well as Nations). It's Gr.4 at Suzuka. Have fun. :)

Thank you very much. I'll have to get suit liveries ready and balance my practice with studies, but I've coped with worse conflicts of interest. Cheers and hope to see you all on the track :cheers:!
I don't think custom suit liveries are applied in Manufacturer's races. I know for Nations your suit livery is chosen based on your nation, and I believe it's similar for Manufacturer's (I drive for Chevy and I believe my race suit in Manufacturer's is always yellow, even though my custom suit is mostly black).

I don't think custom suit liveries are applied in Manufacturer's races. I know for Nations your suit livery is chosen based on your nation, and I believe it's similar for Manufacturer's (I drive for Chevy and I believe my race suit in Manufacturer's is always yellow, even though my custom suit is mostly black).
Nations is correct, my custom shows up for Manu though.
Edit: mine are rather simple so not sure how detailed they are makes a difference or not.

Nations is correct, my custom shows up for Manu though.
Edit: mine are rather simple so not sure how detailed they are makes a difference or not.
Ok. Maybe mine sometimes don't load then. I'll have to pay attention tonight (but I'll probably forget :lol:). I've never put much effort into my suit liveries so I don't pay as much attention to them as I would if my car liveries didn't show up.

19:00 Manufacturers
Second attempt of the day, once more as the sole Ford entry. Opponents included five 911s, three GT-Rs, two R8s plus one each of the following:
  • 4C
  • AMG GT3
  • Atenza
  • M6
  • McLaren 650S
  • McLaren F1
  • R.S.01
  • Supra
  • Viper
Things went off to a fantastic start when with a few seconds of free practice remaining, the Renault inexplicably wiped me out between Turns 6 and 7. No idea what his/her idea was, but yes, qualifying worked out fine. Two laps completed on the first set of Softs, the second a 1:27.768. Was only four-hundredths off improving that time further on my third flier, and eventually clocked another high-1:27 lap towards the end. The second lap was still good enough for the GT LM to start 6th, this time just under four-tenths off pole. All but the last-starting Alfa were separated by a fraction under eight-tenths!

As in test lobbies, I started on Softs, which turned out to be the right call as I quickly pulled away from the Renault (on Mediums) and other cars struggling on the harder compounds. For a while, the Top 5 train - lead by the GT-R - was in sight, and the opening laps ticked by without much incident. Penalties for the Mazda and Italian Porsche brought them further away from the leaders; on Lap 4, I was able to sweep past both through the penalty zone between Remus and Schlossgold. The next lap, the Porsche gets the tow on me and makes a lunge down the inside of Remus. Though I made sure to give plenty of space, I didn't anticipate him taking a wide line out of the apex, which lead to slight contact between us as I had to back out and take to the kerb.

Guess what I received next...

Penalty: 0:01.000
Forced Another Car Off the Track

Utterly infuriating, but there was no point trying to fight off the Mazda now as he got alongside me on the way to Schlossgold. Indeed, it only took a few laps for me to catch up as he began skittering over the kerbs. After some robust and at times cheeky defensive work, the Mazda pits on Lap 8, giving me a free run to erode away the Porsche's advantage. Though I had proved myself capable of lasting 10 laps on Softs, I decided to pit on Lap 9 along with the Porsche, taking on Mediums and around 17-18% fuel to last me the remaining stints. Slotted behind the Mazda and worked through the cycle of late stoppers, including the Viper and the Spanish Supra who had earlier mingled in the top 3. On Lap 13, the Porsche receives another couple of track limits penalties and the Supra vanishes into thin air upon approaching the penalty zone. The battle for 4th is truly on, it seems!

As before, the Porsche gets past me following a tow to Remus, thankfully without contact this time. The Viper is also looking strong, pulling off the same thing the next lap as the Porsche serves yet another penalty. Pressured the Viper in return as the Mazda also picks up another penalty, before both peel off into the pits for what I presume is their last stops. Now, I had a crucial decision to make; keep following the Porsche until the penultimate lap, or pit early to try and jump him on warmer Hards. I pitted early, re-joining just in front of the Mazda and with the Viper nowhere to be seen. Struggled with understeer, but fought off the Mazda a few times as he tried to squeak by on the inside. Revved the heart out of the Ford with the Greek Porsche only a couple of tenths ahead.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200729195012.png

Shame about that penalty, but on the whole a more satisfactory run worthy of the Ford's potential. Really surprised that the GT LM seems to look after its tyres better than the Porsche and Mazda, although my gentler driving style might have played a big part in that. Yeah, I think that'll do for tonight. Another 200+ points score and my sick-th Top 5 finish in 2020 Manufacturers. No matter how tougher the remaining rounds will be (especially now that I've climbed back up to 59K DR), this season is turning out to be finishing on a rather high note so far...

What confuses me is that @Mistah_MCA video guides (both this one and the Rd 23 Nations Gr3 event at RBR) list the pit time as ~21 sec...

When I watch the video, it looks like it's more like ~10-11 sec... am I reading that wrong? Both videos note 21 sec pit time... I guess that's the time from pit in/out but not the pit delta?!

At 11 sec for pit stop, the idea for a second stop makes (more) sense, anyway.
I count Pit Time from the moment the Pit sequence starts, to the moment you regain control of your car.

With how short the stops at RBR are, I'm not sure a 1 stop is viable, especially with how long the softs last.

That said, I would be curious to see someone try a 1 stop and see how it worked out. :dopey:
I did

Qualified 4th. Started on mediums. Binned it first corner. One-stopped. Finished 5th. I hate this game.

I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have so many places to make up. Went 12/7. I think I could have made the mediums last another lap or two but the leaders were catching me right at the end of lap 12, so it was easy to pit then and get out the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back