FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took me three tries at nation's to put a race together. Went with the Megane instead of the 4c. Started second, but due to a disagreement in the chaciane gtr got past me and the pole sitter. Eventually caught and past GTR due to better tyre management.

Manu was a boring affair started 4th finished 3rd due to not stopping.

To say Nations has started off poorly for me would be an understatement. Being in the midpack in the top split is becoming a points graveyard which means I have to somehow score Top 5s against stronger fields. I really thought I was going to do all three Nations slots and the first slot would be practice so I was doing... other things before FIA.

Turned out that the first time would be the only time. I might've been able to score a bit more on the last slot but for now, I wanted to at least have a 2K+ race on the board.

Manu was a pleasant surprise. I qualified well enough for some good track position and the combo suited me well in terms of strategy. With the Gr4 combos in this season being atrocious for the WRX, I'll need to replicate this effort.

Qualified on pole in the manufacturers, almost won as well but the guy in 2nd decided to hit me and give me a 3 second penalty

Another Alfa 4C festival for Nations Nurburgring GR4 FIA official season last night, thanks to another ridiculous tyre wear multiplier! I really hoped PD would stop putting this extremely annoying / game ruining feature in FIA races this year.

Using the DS4, the tyres were dead after 6 laps. That was definitely not the case, using the wheel, if you drove in a tyre saving manner, i.e. boring as hell.

For me, this is not racing. Racing is about pushing the limits, not driving to save tyres or fuel. I can do a boring drive in real life anytime, but I cannot legally push it to the limit, without breaking the law. I thought I’d be able to do this in a “racing” game, but no.

Last edited:
Another Alfa 4C festival for Nations Nurburgring GR4 FIA official season last night, thanks to another ridiculous tyre wear multiplier! I really hoped PD would stop putting this extremely annoying / game ruining feature in FIA races this year.

Using the DS4, the tyres were dead after 6 laps. That was definitely not the case, using the wheel, if you drove in a tyre saving manner, i.e. boring as hell.

For me, this is not racing. Racing is about pushing the limits, not driving to save tyres or fuel. I can do a boring drive in real life anytime, but I cannot legally push it to the limit, without breaking the law. I thought I’d be able to do this in a “racing” game, but no.
I won in the top split lobby against a sea of 4cs with the Megane while pushing flatout.

I won in the top split lobby against a sea of 4cs with the Megane while pushing flatout.

Well done, fair point, for an advanced level alien like you, it is possible. You’re still on DS4 right? That’s 10 times more impressive, if you are.

I have no idea how anyone can save tyres and enjoy it, except for the result.

If I push, the tyres wear out very fast.

With high tyre wear multipliers in GR4, there are only 3 cars that work - 4c, Megane trophy and Gt86.

In GR3 it’s s similar story with e.g. the Porsche and FT1.

So many manufacturers are majorly uncompetitive with these high tyre wear multipliers, so why is it not changed to a more reasonable level ?

First go in nations was a disaster in the f-type(not sure why I chose it to be honest) qualified 8th but the racing manners and etiquette of the midfield was atrocious. Dive bombs and bump passing were order of the day. Pitted lap 3 to try get some clean air and came out behind the last 4 cars who ruined that notion. Finished a bump, bruised and dispirited 14th ☹

Anyways moved onto manufacturers for toyota, much more comfortable in group 3 compared to 4. Qualified 4th but should of had pole(messesd up last corner when was on a 1.31.8 lap) so was confident for race.

First lap 2nd and 3rd had some argy bargy at turn 3 so immediately upto 2nd behind pole man in citroen. By lap 4-5 I was close enough to make move into turn 1 when I had strangest of half spins despite breaking earlier than normal. Left me 3.5 seconds down on leader.

I was no stopping anyway and thought leader would pit(they didnt) Gradually started reducing the gap whilst not stressing tyres and by lap 10 was back on tail and they were struggling big time. Bided time and passed easily as they had moment coming out a slow corner.

After that just brought car home for 2nd manufacturer win in a row.

2nd nations was better. 5th in 458 Italia. No stopped and prob could have won as was only 1.5 behind winner at finish, however a stupid penalty at the chicane and a swipe by eventual winner as they just cut across me as they pitted cost me the 2-3 seconds I needed to bring car home for win

Fun times anyway

Gt86 with RM front and RS at rear with no pit stop worked great for me in Nations.

Had to share the videos for both this round quite bizarre.

Nations: 2nd timeslot went with 4C but used up all my tyres battling the midpack wasn't happy with the points I managed to get. 3rd timeslot went with the trophy and was doing ok but ended up battling a sirocco that somehow got the top speed advantage to work for a while, started to get impatient, I made small contact a few times mid corner because of the difference in speed, overtook them on the inside at 6, but didn't think to cover the inside going into the hairpin until it was too late as I forgot about the top speed difference, we both went off, I know it's probably my fault, but then I get punted in the chicane and get told to go back to GTA.

Manu: Aston was actually alright compared to Autopolis, I was confident in trail braking, adjusting for tyre wear, I knew I couldn't no-stop so tried to catch up on fresher tyres, messed up the run to the finish line with awkward positioning, not getting enough slipstream and going to the outside. Something very strange is I got overtaken on pit exit while the AI was still in control, could be the understeering Aston but very very weird, I was 1.3 ahead going in, then the AI ghosted it through me on pit exit.

Overall a mediocre night for me but ok points for Oceania Aston

Edit: If you are interested the video will already be at the important/funny part, don't worry about timestamps

First race was a disaster. Penalty on lap 2 and engine damage left me last. Managed to recover to 10th.
2nd attempt went much better despite a terrible quali. When @SkyPikmin pitted he was 7 seconds ahead and he finish 5.5 ahead so I could have been contesting the win if I hadn't started 12th

Last edited:
Had a blast this weekend. Both Manu and Nations were great combos.

Nations went better than expected. With exception of a few drivers, we had all the top NA drivers show up.

Manufacturers was a bit bitter sweet. I had decent pace in the M6 to put a fight for the win, but I chocked both in the race and qualifying. Originally I intended to run a 0 stop, but an incident during the race changed up my plans. Still a very fun race.

Now I'm looking forward to Wednesday. Nations will be an interesting one.

I had entered round 3 of the Manufacturers Cup, but exited in protest of not going to receive as much points as the previous round. Next I entered the round 3 of Nations Cup, where I had finished fourth. I hope I score more points in the next round.

The Super Formula race is either going to be really fun, or and absolute wreckfest. I'm guessing for me, it will be the later. I've come to realize that in DR B lobbies the slower the vehicles the better the racing. I figure that's because us DR B plebs just can't react to the speed enough. As much as I think people would hate it, I would love a system where your DR reflects the speed of cars you drive. Just a pipe dream of course.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong and Wednesday is just good racing fun.

Another pipe dream, how cool would a FIA GT Super Formula Championship be!? A whole GT Sport online championship that only uses the Super Formula cars all season. The addition of the Supra Cup or whatever it will be called gives me hope we might one day see other types of one-off championships.

Grid start with Super Formula cars at Autopolis? That sounds quite tough to be honest as the cars don't do very well in low speed corners or in dirty air.
I had real problems driving out of the chicanes at Monza last night, so guess the Autopolis will be similar.

Might be a good idea to get some race practice for this one. At least I can put traction control on for the start this time :)

Grid start with Super Formula cars at Autopolis? That sounds quite tough to be honest as the cars don't do very well in low speed corners or in dirty air.
I had real problems driving out of the chicanes at Monza last night, so guess the Autopolis will be similar.

Might be a good idea to get some race practice for this one. At least I can put traction control on for the start this time :)

A couple seasons ago we had a grid start at Red Bull Ring with the Red Bull Standard. It wasn't pretty, but I tend to race conservatively so it went well for me after nearly getting squashed through the first few corners. Two of the best guys in South America, who are teammates, inadvertently took each other out, and the other couple aliens in the lobby did the same. It was one of my most memorable wins. I welcome these types of combos, but it is do or die, tiny mistakes cost big and your race can be easily ruined by somebody else being overaggressive or just making a small mistake themselves.

Any chance the next Nations race is going to drop another clanger like the daily C this week, and only allow one of the two SF19 cars to enter?

Any chance the next Nations race is going to drop another clanger like the daily C this week, and only allow one of the two SF19 cars to enter?
Pretty sure I saw both Honda and Toyota on the leaderboard, though could someone confirm to make sure?

The Super Formula race is either going to be really fun, or and absolute wreckfest. I'm guessing for me, it will be the later. I've come to realize that in DR B lobbies the slower the vehicles the better the racing. I figure that's because us DR B plebs just can't react to the speed enough. As much as I think people would hate it, I would love a system where your DR reflects the speed of cars you drive. Just a pipe dream of course.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong and Wednesday is just good racing fun.

Another pipe dream, how cool would a FIA GT Super Formula Championship be!? A whole GT Sport online championship that only uses the Super Formula cars all season. The addition of the Supra Cup or whatever it will be called gives me hope we might one day see other types of one-off championships.
I was just thinking this, while doing the SF Daily race. Actually, wishing for a Permanent Race C for SF19.

Same could be said for Super GT . We'll see.

Yeah, that's the right idea. Might lose DR in the Daily races. It's real fun though. Watching my replay of last evening's start, made me smile. Too cool.

Is the Mustang just not a decent car for Monza? I've put a few laps down & while I've been able to slowly improve each lap I'm starting to plateau around 4s slower than the top 10 guys. Normally I would be 2-3s slower. Or maybe it's just the length of the track amplifying my slowness? I've watched the fast guys replays and I'm not seeing any difference in how I'm attempting to make my laps, just that they're better than me.

My videos are out, replays of the last FIA race at Interlagos, this time with the microphone working. I've tried to analyse and give you some advice to help you improving both your qualifying sessions and racecraft. Available in English and in French ;) Hope you'll enjoy watching (and yes I know that the microphone level was maybe to low and I'll try to correct that for the next one ;) )

English:

French:

My videos are out, replays of the last FIA race at Interlagos, this time with the microphone working. I've tried to analyse and give you some advice to help you improving both your qualifying sessions and racecraft. Available in English and in French ;) Hope you'll enjoy watching (and yes I know that the microphone level was maybe to low and I'll try to correct that for the next one ;) )

English:

French:

Thank your for your analysis 👍 I have 2 questions, remarks though:
  1. Biggest problem in qualifying is actually be able to run a lap without traffic and not being held up. What do you think of that?
  2. Are cold tires really an issue? They haven't had any effect on my first laps as far as I could notice. Must say I drive pretty conservative.
To add, I am running a few classes below you guys in terms of sheer speed. After verifying...a whole lot lower :lol:

Thank your for your analysis 👍 I have 2 questions, remarks though:
  1. Biggest problem in qualifying is actually be able to run a lap without traffic and not being held up. What do you think of that?
  2. Are cold tires really an issue? They haven't had any effect on my first laps as far as I could notice. Must say I drive pretty conservative.
To add, I am running a few classes below you guys in terms of sheer speed. After verifying...a whole lot lower :lol:

Hi, so for your first question, it's all a matter off positioning yourself before your lap, for example, if you see that you are very close to someone (let's say closer than a 1.5 or 2 seconds gap) then try to lift off a bit before the start of your lap to have a margin, same goes if someone if following you closely, either let him pass and let him build a gap before starting your lap, or go faster if you've been going slow on the outlap.

Then for cold tires, yes it is an issue on the first turns, even on the first entire lap on some really short tracks, it's way easier to lose control of the car if you try to go as fast as when the tires are warmer

To add, I am running a few classes below you guys in terms of sheer speed. After verifying...a whole lot lower

if you see that you are very close to someone (let's say closer than a 1.5 or 2 seconds gap) then try to lift off a bit before the start of your lap

I'm not sure what your rank is doblocruiser but I'd increase that gap a little then. 1.5-2 seconds might be enough for the aliens, I'm usually in the top DR B lobbies for comparison sake and a 1 or 2 second gap isn't always enough to not get caught in a battle on your hotlap. Heck, I've had 15+ second gaps and end up catching folks by the end of my hotlap!

Or, if getting held up in qualifying is a big issue for you, just sit waaaayy back on the outlap so your in a world of your own.

I always fuel burn during the outlap and go very slow so I am at the very back of the grid with nobody near me. The only problem with that is sometimes I catch up to the drivers who bin it and just give up on their lap. Then I have to overtake on my qualy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back