FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that being able to use hybrid tyres made for an interesting dilemma and opened up interesting strategy options.

Never really viewed it as a bug either. They use to do this in f1 in the 90's as well. Sometimes just putting a harder compound on one corner of the car.

Anyways if it is going to change I will at least welcome it for ease of making my videos lol. Spent an hour yesterday messing about with different hybrid mixes for manufactuers. Seems I may have wasted my time if this changes with Nov 28th update.

Well, for Manufacturers, guess I'll be using the Gr.4 Supra in one account and Gr.3 RX-Vision GT3.in another. Dilemma solved.

I figured the tire-mix thing was a bug and would get fixed eventually.

Personally I don't really like it because while it may seem that it opens up more options for strategy, it really doesn't, because the hybrid tire mix becomes the OP strategy that everyone basically MUST use in order to be competitive. Sure, in a lower lobby you can do well without the mix, but that's because in lower lobbies there are more mistakes made and more time lost in more chaotic traffic, so a good solid drive can be competitive no matter the strategy. Once it's fixed, I can go back to formulating a strategy the way it should be done, based on qualifying position and my car's characteristics and my driving style, rather than "oh well I guess I gotta use the hybrid mix first to get the harder compound out of the way" which pretty much locks everyone into the same strategy at the higher-ranked lobbies.

A look at the upcoming manufacturers race a sardegna C II

With so many variables difficult to pinpoint the optimal strategy for this one but iv given it a shot

Will have a nations one up later in the week

I figured the tire-mix thing was a bug and would get fixed eventually.

Personally I don't really like it because while it may seem that it opens up more options for strategy, it really doesn't, because the hybrid tire mix becomes the OP strategy that everyone basically MUST use in order to be competitive. Sure, in a lower lobby you can do well without the mix, but that's because in lower lobbies there are more mistakes made and more time lost in more chaotic traffic, so a good solid drive can be competitive no matter the strategy. Once it's fixed, I can go back to formulating a strategy the way it should be done, based on qualifying position and my car's characteristics and my driving style, rather than "oh well I guess I gotta use the hybrid mix first to get the harder compound out of the way" which pretty much locks everyone into the same strategy at the higher-ranked lobbies.

THANK YOU. I'd been thinking how to explain why I didn't like the hybrid tyres and it's exactly this. Everyone uses the same strategy. With it removed we should see more races like we see at the World Tour events where people use different strategies so will be on different tyres at different times, but the race comes back together in the dying laps.

THANK YOU. I'd been thinking how to explain why I didn't like the hybrid tyres and it's exactly this. Everyone uses the same strategy. With it removed we should see more races like we see at the World Tour events where people use different strategies so will be on different tyres at different times, but the race comes back together in the dying laps.
Hmm, I can see that point, but I don't agree it's so clear cut. For the last RBR race, the tyre mix gave a choice of 1 or 2 stops, whereas without the mix everyone would have been forced to 2 stop. The problem I see with the World Tour approach is the choice doesn't depend so much on qualifying position as on what tyres people around you choose, but you don't know that when you make your choice. So there was one race in the Nations final where they commented that one person's tyre choice had them out on their own without a slipstream, but they had no way of knowing that would be the effect when they made their choice. If everyone else had made the same choice as them, their choice would have been the right choice, and it would have been the other choice that would have had people out on their own without a slipstream. So I don't see that element as strategy as much as a rock/paper/scissors type lottery. I know that doesn't constitute an argument in favour of retaining the mix option, it's just some thoughts on the general topic that occurred to me.

I just hope they clearly define exactly what the new rule is, if the game still allows you to choose a mix, so it doesn't require trial and error to work out if it's the front tyre that counts, or the rear tyre that counts, or the softer compound that counts, or the harder compound that counts, or if neither counts.

Hmm, I can see that point, but I don't agree it's so clear cut. For the last RBR race, the tyre mix gave a choice of 1 or 2 stops, whereas without the mix everyone would have been forced to 2 stop. The problem I see with the World Tour approach is the choice doesn't depend so much on qualifying position as on what tyres people around you choose, but you don't know that when you make your choice. So there was one race in the Nations final where they commented that one person's tyre choice had them out on their own without a slipstream, but they had no way of knowing that would be the effect when they made their choice. If everyone else had made the same choice as them, their choice would have been the right choice, and it would have been the other choice that would have had people out on their own without a slipstream.

You kind of proved the point there, mentioning 1-stop VS 2-stop. I'd be surprised to learn of any race winner in a high A/S or A+/S lobby who chose to 2-stop...it just wasn't the best choice. Nobody is saying that there still aren't multiple strategy options, just that the hybrid will always be the OP strategy when multiple compounds are required and anybody who doesn't use the mix will likely lose positions as a result, especially at that RBR race last week as it has a very long pit lane, and especially when all 3 compounds are required since you can knock out the 2 harder ones in one shot. As it has been, the only people at a disadvantage in terms of strategy have been the ones who didn't know that using a mix was an option.

As far as the World Tour goes, I remember the part you mentioned, but that was one person who chose an obviously wrong strategy when everyone else chose what they expected others to do relative to their starting position. People in front typically pick the softer compound, middle of the pack mediums, and back of the back hards when all 3 are required. To choose otherwise is possible, but likely detrimental to their finishing position. You'll always have the odd one out who tries to mix things up and pick an odd strategy, but rarely does that work out in high-ranked lobbies especially when there's a well known OP strategy like mixing tires.

Last edited:

I agree, I hate the hybrid tires ability. I'm pretty sure most motor sports that have minimum or mandatory tire requirements would penalise any driver/team doing what we do in GTS so make it follow the real life rules. Certainly in F1 a mixed tire set equals a penalty. Also in some cars it actually benefits them to run hyrbid tires by gaining better turn in etc maybe not massively helping them but still.

Ok thats my limit, i give up! can't go any faster than that :lol:. how do the Aliens get that extra 1.5 seconds!?!?

ap_86975699-C8CA-4CA4-9A3B-643ED2756E8F.JPEG

Ok thats my limit, i give up! can't go any faster than that :lol:. how do the Aliens get that extra 1.5 seconds!?!?

View attachment 868785
You don't need to be an alien. Sometimes it's the car, your comfort zone, the track.

I'm no alien. I'm using the Atenza(51.7) and I'm only 0.7 seconds from number 1 in Oceania. 0.4 seconds from number 10 in the top 10.
Depending on the track, sometimes I'm a few seconds from number 1. That's when I was in the RC F '17.

No doubt practicing helps make a player faster. Also following a ghost from a faster car(doesn't have to be the top car). The bottom of the top 10 is a good starting point and/or a friend that set a faster time than your own.

Gotta admit, this layout has grown on me. I did a Custom Race using the same race set up(only used RM tyres, no stop). The two AI M6s were strong all the way to the finish. Good practice while the tyres were getting worn.

You don't need to be an alien. Sometimes it's the car, your comfort zone, the track.

No doubt practicing helps make a player faster. Also following a ghost from a faster car(doesn't have to be the top car). The bottom of the top 10 is a good starting point and/or a friend that set a faster time than your own.

Yeah i was following 10th quickest in his Lambo. No point following no.1 :lol: . I realise i'll never get near the top 10 but i'm happy with my time for my ability :). Its following the ghost through a corner and thinking how the hell did he take that so fast!!

A look at the upcoming manufacturers race a sardegna C II

With so many variables difficult to pinpoint the optimal strategy for this one but iv given it a shot

Will have a nations one up later in the week

Unrelated to your strategy video (thanks for always making these), how do you get an NPC into a lobby to test out these races? I've always just created a lobby to run laps, but haven't been able to do them as an actual race without another player in there.

Unrelated to your strategy video (thanks for always making these), how do you get an NPC into a lobby to test out these races? I've always just created a lobby to run laps, but haven't been able to do them as an actual race without another player in there.

I'm afraid there is no way to add AI to lobbys. I use custom race if the tyre wear is x10 or under as thats as high as you can set it in there.

As long as you set grip to real on custom race it is identical to lobbies. This is something iv tested extensively and I can always replicate laptimes between the two. Obviously you have to remember to set the BOP on the car as well.

Well worth giving it a shot to practise race runs.

I don't know when will mixed-tire strategy ban, just after of next update (EX2 round 4), start of next season (EX3 round 1), or later...

Is it me or is the penalty line at Sardegna in an awful place? If people have 0.5 penalties they're going to be up to speed (and unghosted) right at the braking zone for the right hander.

Is it me or is the penalty line at Sardegna in an awful place? If people have 0.5 penalties they're going to be up to speed (and unghosted) right at the braking zone for the right hander.

Yeah I'm expecting carnage at this race. Along with the penalty zone in the middle of a high speed esses section you have people exiting the pits directly in the braking zone for turn 1. The penalty zone would be much better positioned either just after the last corner, or just after the right hander after where it is now.

My race plan is to survive the carnage as much as possible!

Yeah I'm expecting carnage at this race. Along with the penalty zone in the middle of a high speed esses section you have people exiting the pits directly in the braking zone for turn 1. The penalty zone would be much better positioned either just after the last corner, or just after the right hander after where it is now.

My race plan is to survive the carnage as much as possible!
Since we can do more laps than usual in qualifying I'm hoping I can get in a rhythm for a change, put in a decent lap then run away. So of course I'll start 9th and die in the first three laps.

Setting some times at Tokyo South Inner Loop N500. Comparing times of the RE against the F40, F50, GT40 Mak I, X-bow, S-FR and CTR3.

Since we can do more laps than usual in qualifying I'm hoping I can get in a rhythm for a change, put in a decent lap then run away. So of course I'll start 9th and die in the first three laps.
I've been working on the question of how many times to bin it in the race. Every race but one has been a one-binner, but my best result came from a no-binner, so that seems to be the way to go if you can manage it.

Dang, man. 3 laps each, BOP, SM tyres. The RE is too slow to build speed. It's got 4.3 gears, but for some reason, it's not quick at N500.

EKcuteqUEAAdE8g

Just had my race at Interlagos completely ruined because some prick decided to throw me into the pit wall. Actually legitimately livid right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back