FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time really concentrating on qualifying. The Supra has done this for me. I've always wanted the 350&370Z GT4 cars from the GTAcademy, in the game. This is the next best thing.

The sound in car and from hood cam, get me immersed. Plus, this car feels planted with a bit on edge feel. Being that Spa doesn't have sharp cuts in direction, like say Bathurst at The Dipper and Forests Elbow, the Supra is smooth. Love this car.

I'm happy with this time, but seeing my optimum was 0.3 quicker, I didn't think I was going that fast. Can't wait for Tuesday.
IMG_20191229_114528.jpg

First time really concentrating on qualifying. The Supra has done this for me. I've always wanted the 350&370Z GT4 cars from the GTAcademy, in the game. This is the next best thing.

The sound in car and from hood cam, get me immersed. Plus, this car feels planted with a bit on edge feel. Being that Spa doesn't have sharp cuts in direction, like say Bathurst at The Dipper and Forests Elbow, the Supra is smooth. Love this car.

I'm happy with this time, but seeing my optimum was 0.3 quicker, I didn't think I was going that fast. Can't wait for Tuesday.
View attachment 877149

Wrong thread?

So far it looks like the wheel was the right purchase. In the Nations race I put my Toyota on pole - only the 2nd time I've sat on pole in a room with mostly A/S (and a couple S/S) drivers, and the first one on a road course at this level (I have no idea to tell which "split" I've been put in - i just know I wasn't in the top one). I led the first lap before getting slipstreamed going into turn one and not fighting it. I lost 2nd place that lap as well. On the next lap I forgot to look at the braking boards into turn 1 like an idiot and ran off into the gravel and fell down to 5th. Trying to get 4th back, I spun in that fast left-hander before the final hairpin and fell back to 8th. I recovered back to 5th place ultimately and had another look at 4th before screwing up turn 1 again and settling for 5th. I contemplated having another go at this round, but my DR took a massive dive in my first Manufacturer's attempt tonight, so I didn't want to risk redoing the Nation's race and scoring less points due to being placed in a less competitive room.

In my first manufacturers race, I qualified 6th in the Corvette - which was by far my best qualy result during this championship. I got 4th with an amazing 3-wide pass on the short straight before the final corner after the 2 cars in front of me tangled. I then threw the race away with too many mistakes to even remember and rage-quit from 13th a couple seconds before finishing the race. I just couldn't get a rhythm going at this track.

In my 2nd attempt at the Manu race, I qualified 3rd and then slowly fell backwards to 5th before losing that on the final lap and finishing 6th, tying my best position this "season" and giving me the most points of any round in the Manu Cup at 129. I know for a fact this would have been a track where I'd have struggled to even finish above last place with a controller - mostly because I'd be making far too many mistakes (even more than tonight) trying to keep pace with even the mid-fielders. I highly doubt I'll become an "alien" but for now at least I'm happy to finally be competitive with others of my rank at tracks besides Blue Moon Bay, Dragon Trail, and Yamagiwa...

Last edited:
Part 1, done:

So apart from two incidents where the brakes for some reason just stopped working at the worst possible times (With the second one resulting in the guy that got hit getting the 4 second penalty, because that makes total sense), it went way better then I thought. Qualified 14th but even with me serving my 2 second penalty for the first hit Turn 1 (which I have no problem because that was unmistakably me), cars were just going off left and right so not as many spots were lost as they were gained. Seems like we still have people that can't handle putting down the Hybrid power on cold tires. Also what a mad lad that one guy in the LM55 is. He could not have been more of a Fish completely out of the Water.

Yes. Tuesday from 5pm. Five time slots. :)

Just saw that. Was wondering why...until I saw this:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20191228214546.png

Interesting season ahead.

Last edited:
Moving Manu to Sunday isn’t good for a few leagues. Having it right in the middle of a 7 month long season isn’t ideal for us to say the least. It’ll be hard to keep the S/S guys now. I heard you’ll only be able to enter one time slot and that’s it. We’ll see. It’ll be even more time consuming for the top guys though they’ll have more time to focus on each championship.

Moving Manu to Sunday isn’t good for a few leagues. Having it right in the middle of a 7 month long season isn’t ideal for us to say the least. It’ll be hard to keep the S/S guys now. I heard you’ll only be able to enter one time slot and that’s it. We’ll see. It’ll be even more time consuming for the top guys though they’ll have more time to focus on each championship.
Ah, only one race? Well, guess it'll be like some real world "endurance" events.

Think players will race a bit more cleanly?:sly:

Start was great, no punterino (from me or anyone else) and the strat was going to plan. And then the final three laps happened...Why do people on warn out tires feel the need to try and force you off track? I'm just trying to get by and everyone is out to murder me for some reason.

It was a relief to be on the grid for the final round, having missed out on a place at Spa due to server outages in my region, which lasted for nearly 5 hours and left Sport Mode unavailable. Making the most of the game being playable, I put some hours in practicing, and testing out my new Logitech G29 wheel to find the best setup to work with a Gr.4 car. I managed to qualify in 9th, which was partly disappointing, but then I’ve not had much luck with FR cars around Laguna Seca, the circuit being more suited to MR and RR cars, so any result was a good result.
8142526829479101952_0.jpg

I’d planned on running hard tires as I’d found the mediums to only be good for about 5 laps in practice, and then pit around Lap 12 for the required tire change. However I forgot to switch the tires back after qualifying, so the plan went out the proverbial window. The race start was not ideal either, following a Cayman and a Megane off the line and nearly binning it at the Andretti Hairpin. But from there things only improved, I passed the Renault at T5 and settled into a moderate pace, trying to preserve the tires as much as possible. On lap 3 a TRD GT-86 was forced to serve a penalty for an earlier incident; I passed in the penalty zone however they stole their position back, only to then run wide at T6 and spin on the Rahal Straight. Ahead, a Motul Nissan GT-R pitted early, which left me in 6th, then up to 5th as a Cayman span out in the Corkscrew on the next lap.
8287209362801328648_0.jpg

I managed to build a comfortable lead over the Penrite BMW M4 and the Megane from earlier, and briefly held 3rd as two cars ahead pitted. I managed to hold 4th until the end of lap 11, pitting with the Megane right on my tail. I switched to hards and ducked out, with no need for additional fuel, and emerged from the pits in 5th. I held off the Megane for several laps, setting my FL of 1:31:937, which was faster than my personal best on mediums during practice. I was about to better that time when the Megane tried to make a move, cutting in as I moved wide to make the line for the final turn. They clipped my rear quarter panel and came off, only to then fly back onto the track and ram me off the line and into the sand. The Megane received a 2-second penalty, which made no difference to their race; I lost two places.
8296216564606206472_0.jpg

I managed to outgun the Leopard Natural Alfa 4C on the downhill to the hairpin on lap 16, but was then left defending at every turn as they drove like mad to gain their place back. On the final lap I thought I had it in the bag, but took a poor line out of the Corkscrew, with the Alfa immediately behind. We ended up tandem drifting down the hill, with the Alfa slipping by at the pit entrance, leaving me in 8th. Part of me was left disappointed at the result, having been so close to a podium place, but I was exhilarated at having been part of such a spectacular finish to the season.
8151534028597527048_0.jpg

From calendar, Nations cup will be held on Tuesday and Saturday, Manufacturer series will be held on Wednesday and Sunday in Ex. Season 3.

Seems like PD wants people to have absolutely no life outside GT if they want to do well in these races. Ideally for me there would be one Nations and one Manu per week. The previous schedule is already borderline acceptable. You have Mon/Tue to practice for Wed, and Thu/Fri to practice for Sat. Sunday is a rest day.

The new schedule you absolutely do not have breaks. Everyday is either practice or race day. And worse of all Tuesday there is a race AND you then have to prep for Wednesday Manu. In the middle of the working week no less. If the official season is anything like this year's in length a lot of people are going to get burnout really quickly. Yes you can choose not to do all races but let's face it, if you want to maximise your chances you need to do all of them.

I understand that PD's main aim is player engagement and packing as many races in a short amount of time will do that, but IMO as a partner of FIA and a bridge between real and virtual sports they also have a responsibility to create a well balanced schedule that doesn't encourage hikikomori behaviour.

Hopefully it's just testing the waters and we're back to the old schedule for official season 👍

EDIT: Just checked and it seems the number of race slots have been increased as well. If unlimited retries stay we can have people racing 20 hours/week, not counting practice time :crazy:

Last edited:
Seems like PD wants people to have absolutely no life outside GT if they want to do well in these races. Ideally for me there would be one Nations and one Manu per week. The previous schedule is already borderline acceptable. You have Mon/Tue to practice for Wed, and Thu/Fri to practice for Sat. Sunday is a rest day.

The new schedule you absolutely do not have breaks. Everyday is either practice or race day. And worse of all Tuesday there is a race AND you then have to prep for Wednesday Manu. In the middle of the working week no less. If the official season is anything like this year's in length a lot of people are going to get burnout really quickly. Yes you can choose not to do all races but let's face it, if you want to maximise your chances you need to do all of them.

I understand that PD's main aim is player engagement and packing as many races in a short amount of time will do that, but IMO as a partner of FIA and a bridge between real and virtual sports they also have a responsibility to create a well balanced schedule that doesn't encourage hikikomori behaviour.

Hopefully it's just testing the waters and we're back to the old schedule for official season 👍

EDIT: Just checked and it seems the number of race slots have been increased as well. If unlimited retries stay we can have people racing 20 hours/week, not counting practice time :crazy:

I get that the new schedule isn't ideal for everyone but they haven't increased the amount of events. It's still two per competition per week. The events are just spread out more.

I'd also argue that people (in general) who focus on one of the two competitions will do better than those that try and do both.

If your practicing Mon/Tues for Weds and the Thurs/Fri for Saturday then really there's no change in the amount your playing. But if you feel it's too much, then cut back. It is supposed to be fun after all :)

I get that the new schedule isn't ideal for everyone but they haven't increased the amount of events. It's still two per competition per week. The events are just spread out more.

I'd also argue that people (in general) who focus on one of the two competitions will do better than those that try and do both.

If your practicing Mon/Tues for Weds and the Thurs/Fri for Saturday then really there's no change in the amount your playing. But if you feel it's too much, then cut back. It is supposed to be fun after all :)

I get that no schedule is going to be ideal for everyone, but it seems like they're making the FIA races a full time job if you want to do well. While the number of events may look the same, the fact that there are 2x more FIA racedays per week means less flexibility in your scheduling. Practice is just practice, you can do it anytime and distractions are still ok. Whereas for race day you need to be there at exact times and tell your SO/kids/pets/boss that you cannot be disturbed. Previously I only have to block out 2x2h slots on Wed and Sat, but with the new schedule that turns into 4x1h slots minimum. It's same total time but logistically it's a big difference.

I also get that if you focus on just one series you'll do better. But honestly unless you're definite WT material going full tryhard on just one series is probably not going to make too much difference to the final outcome. A lot of us like to race just for the sake of racing, and like to do both. It doesn't make sense that PD would want to discourage this. Whatever happened to "Racing is for Everyone" and "7-77"?

Believe me, I already set myself limits because it's so easy to spend hours in front of the TV nowadays. I only practice 1h max for each race and limit myself to ever only ever do 1 slot. If my race ended in first corner, that's how it goes even though for sure I can get better points if I try again. But not everyone has that self control and it would be a shame if one of the top players gets health issues due to overplaying, just like what happens in other esports.

Previously I only have to block out 2x2h slots on Wed and Sat, but with the new schedule that turns into 4x1h slots minimum. It's same total time but logistically it's a big difference.

Yeah I 100% get that and you're right that it's logistically different. This change will suit some people but not others.

Whatever happened to "Racing is for Everyone"

Which is the flip side of things. Previously if you couldn't race on a Wednesday or a Saturday you couldn't get involved. With races on more days more people can get involved. Which I think is a good thing.

Looks like they're trying out a shorter qualifying session for this season

Seems like PDs answer to fuel burning is shorter qualifying sessions. It sounds like an improvement but isn't the solution I'd like to see (setting your own starting fuel).

Any idea on when next FIA season will start normally?
Check the calendar.

I would like to see heavy damage in all racing & having to use two tyre compounds in the race.
The GR1 race had light damage which did slow down the rammers down but it didn't stop them totally. Heavy damage would do & it would make them have pit for repairs.
FIA is supposed to be use trying to race semi pro, it's GT not wreckfest.

Will I be racing with the Merc team again.

Last edited:

I heard you’ll only be able to enter one time slot and that’s it

where did you hear/read that, are you sure this is true?

Ferrari was an interesting manufacturer to pick as I really wanted them to be good, in one of the classes they were but in the other they felt completely useless.

First the Group 4 car was the good one as it was easy to drive and had good handling, was good on fuel and tyres and has decent straight line performance, nothing special but not so slow it hurts. Overall it felt like a good all rounder, not a pure handling car like a Toyota or an Alfa romeo nor a pure power car like a Peugeot or a Jaguar.

The group 3 car was a different kettle of fish however as while it was very good on fuel, almost as good as the Porsche, and had good acceleration was hard to drive, softer tyres helped, and had horrible tyre wear. The tyre wear only felt like it got worse with the softer and more usable compounds as well making the car overall feel a bit useless in these races.

Overall not the worst but far from the best manufacturer to pick especially if your on a controller like I am. Also I felt a little disappointed as I wanted them to be really good, it is Ferrari after all come on, but much like one of there F1 drivers in recent years the group 3 car just wants to spin out all the time.

I hope that's true.

It will be interesting to see how the new schedule effects player numbers, I see tyre wear's creeping up again :( Looking at the settings I'm a bit meh..about it, I think they should make it simpler to participate, not everyone can dedicate hrs to practice various strategies, shorter qually is a step in the right direction though.

Last edited:

It would be nice to know the answer to this question in advance of round 1, wouldn’t it ! ?

I guess that we will find out on Tuesday if multiple race entries are still allowed or if it is just one slot per round per driver.

Both have their +/-

In real life, there is only 1 chance to do a race, so the risk vs. reward decision making is different, compared to having multiple chances at it.

There is also the question of how the later time slots matchmaking and points would be affected, if only 1 entry is permitted per round. In the past, with the 1 entry system, the early time slots full of students and other non workers (ha ha) were where the big points were available !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back