FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pigems
I just noticed in the picture you should me for location of points table is only available when you in the race.. :lol::lol::lol:
I been searching everything outside off the race thinking it would make sense being there but I was wrong ..

đź‘Ť

Yeah, that button is only available in the pre race lobby. I did see a few pages back that someone had posted a full points calculator table/chart of some sort though. :)

@Pigems
I just noticed in the picture you should me for location of points table is only available when you in the race.. :lol::lol::lol:
I been searching everything outside off the race thinking it would make sense being there but I was wrong ..

đź‘Ť

I post the table image that I save on my pc ( I don't find the original post :drool:)
1578521806.png

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I should even bother with the manu tonight. I'm signed with Renault and the Meghane just can't keep up with the faster cars on a track like Tokyo. Will I just be killing my remaining DR by even trying?

I raced in the Toyota, which is sooo slow on the straights, but managed to stay in the slipstream. Qualified P11, more than a second slower than my practice time though, and finished P6. Got 167pts (Pretty much 50/50 S/S and A/S). Even got the fastest lap thanks to a complete lap with good slipstreaming. But had I lost the slipstream (it was close sometimes) I would've been lost.

I raced in the Toyota, which is sooo slow on the straights, but managed to stay in the slipstream. Qualified P11, more than a second slower than my practice time though, and finished P6. Got 167pts (Pretty much 50/50 S/S and A/S). Even got the fastest lap thanks to a complete lap with good slipstreaming. But had I lost the slipstream (it was close sometimes) I would've been lost.

Good to hear. I’ll be driving the 86 later

**** me, that was even worse. Got a 4s penalty turn one lap one for... *shrug* TT in 4th missed his braking spot on cold tyres, hit the wall, I got a 4s penalty despite... not. Then got a 4s penalty the next lap when a Cayman tried to dive into the chicane from nowhere back and nailed me into the outside of it. Then got a 7s penalty on lap 6 when same Cayman (he'd picked up a bunch of hitting barrier penalties) nerfed me into the outside of T2.

Said Cayman then spent two laps trying to hit me some more, and ended up last. Just utter bollocks tonight.

Famine
Question since you seem to be a semi pro or pro.

When racing say for example today.
You start P2 get FL & nearly win but due to P1 driving like a drunk in the last corner and last straight you keep P2.
Not hit any car but I did hit the wall once giving me my deserved 1.5sec.
You get 15 points would you go again to get more points or just leave it at that?
I ask because I still can't see why I get low points for P2 & loose points like I did in the pictures I shown before.
I still don't fully grip the points system, and can't find a good explanation of how it works.

To me it's feels like if start from p20 get to p10 it better in points, the ones that put in time & get in the top 5 & keep it clean & either keep position or go up a position is punished because you are better and get low points.

I am sure I saw a list of points from P1 to P20 but can't find it now.

I had a post few pages back. Last race at Gardens II had similar situation. First race started 14th and finished 9th = 117 points, then I tried again and started 5th finishing 2nd = 52 points...

In retrospect, I wish I could have just be done and walked away... but since I was hit a lot, I thought I could do better...I did, but in a lower ranked lobby. Wiser now... so I think...

I'm not planning to do the race, but I enjoyed time trialling 7 different cars in a custom race. The Lambo, Aston, Jag and McLaren were all quite close to each other. The AMG and Porsche were both good but a few seconds slower over the race. The Dodge was the slowest of the 7 I tried, distinctly off the pace of even the AMG and Porsche. It all changes in the actual race, though, as the McLaren's power is declining rapidly towards the end of the straight, so it doesn't do well if it slipstreams to a high speed then pulls out to overtake. The AMG, OTOH, is a slipstream beast, and possibly a better car for the race than the McLaren, despite being slower for a solo TT. I've seen the Lexus do well in practice lobbies, but didn't test it. So overall, I'd say there are quite a lot of cars that will be able to hang in the slipstream train for this one.

I see what you're saying but it doesn't refute poor balancing. Of those cars mentioned we've got as such: Mercedes, Jag, McLaren, Aston, Lambo, Volkswagen, Lexus. Of all these mentioned you've got high tier both Gr.3 and Gr.4 options (Jag, Aston, VW, Lexus), undoubtedly meta (Lambo) and the eternal benchmark (Merc AMG). The only outlier for viability you've demonstrated is McLaren which is still not a sure thing.

The issue I have is we can't go to a circuit where a small section of the available cars are within a confident chance of winning based off a decision made well in advance that we're locked into. This goes for high speed tracks or slow speed. Even Monza last season did not have this issue. I reiterate, I was passed effortlessly by slow drivers in Astons BEFORE the start line with ~1sec gaps coming out fo the hairpin on this track. If there was a compromise, say slower straight line cars had a distinct advantage in the turns, fuel/tyre econ that actually showed itself in the race this would be fine but as it is its useless.

Had another go, qualified 4th this time. That's without slipstream. Everyone survived the first lap and it was a much cleaner race than before. There was some bumping and rubbing, but from what I saw in pretty much every position in the top 8, people were trying to be clean.

1st place somehow got away and stayed there, but we were definitely catching him up. Around lap 6 or 7 the main pack was closing the gap. I was a bit behind with a combination of some penalties (got 1 second on lap one which was my fault, got 1.5 later for getting hit into the wall at the final corner) but would usually catch back up on the straight. By the time we're starting lap 9 there's me in 4th, with a Porsche and a Jag in front. The gap must have been around 4 seconds at this point, and I definitely felt like I'd been hampered throughout the race in terms of lap times just from being caught up with people. I passed them on the straight and took 2nd place coming out of the first two corners.

Of course, the clown in the Jag decides to go side by side with me through the left hander going under the bridge, as the Porsche was right behind him. We lose a collective 3 or 5 seconds, the Jag gets a 5 second penalty as I go into the wall. This was actually the lap where I got my 1.5 second penalty, for hitting the wall at a whopping 23 mph.

Why do you get a barrier collision penalty for hitting the wall on the exit of a corner? I'm not wallriding. There's no benefit to be had from hitting a wall when you're past the apex of a corner. There was contact made with me before I hit the wall. Who dreams up this algorithm?

At this point I'm back in the pack and by the time I serve the penalty I'm down to 8th again for lap 11. French guy in a Merc tries to go to the right of a Porsche going into turn 1, gets squeezed as the barrier narrows. Porsche gets 7 seconds. French guy in a Merc is a bit sketchy through turn 2 and gets a 1 second penalty, before the Porsche brake checks him. Porsche is up to 12 seconds. I go past the Merc to the right as we go through the left of turn 3, as the Merc squashes a Mustang into the wall as he moves left.

(if someone can tell me how to make the sharefactory intro less standard grade media studies I'd appreciate it thanks)

Coming out of the right hander after you go under the bridge, the Portuguese Huracan in 3rd clips the wall on the exit. The German Huracan tries to go round the outside of him in the next flat right hander, but he wasn't far enough ahead at the turn in point. He hits the wall, the Portuguese hits him and spins, the Jag in 5th the Portuguese.

The Mustang and I had a gap by this point and brought it home for the podium. I passed him at turn 1 on lap 12 and stayed there.

Honestly, it's great fun coming round a corner and seeing the three cars ahead of you have massive red flashes for absurd amounts of time. After watching the replay I'd say 2/3 of the time on screen was justified so it's not as funny, but it was still a wonderful moment at the time for me. Another points record with a wheel!

I missed the Race 1 slot for the Americas, so I tried a practice race and noticed that tire wear really isn't an issue and fuel is close. I haven't really read through the thread in detail but is this race a no-stopper? If the faster cars need to pit, it may make the Meghane competitive.

What an awesome race!! I did a ton of practice for this race knowing my car was going to be strong here, I wasn’t expecting this result though. :D

A67A5C0E-7B1B-4027-8F8F-2848390373F4.png

It was a battle right from the first lap. I just played it safe and made sure to stay in the slipstream, and out of trouble. Luckily I got dealt a great group of guys to race with tonight and everyone was clean and fair the whole race. We all worked together as much as possible instead of squabbling over positions mid race and we were able to pull away from the field in the end because of it.

I qualified P2, but by the time we exited T2 I was in the lead. There was a group of 5/6 cars that started to pull away at first, but over the course of the race it had dwindled down to only 3 of us in the lead group. On the last lap I backed off going into T1, not wanting to be in the lead for that lap because whoever came out of the final corner in 1st probably wasn’t going to be the winner. P2 tried to make a move that didn’t work and spun a bit and I just barely avoided hitting him on the way by, I just had to stay close to the GTR then and hope I could catch enough draft on the home straight. I got just enough, and ended up finishing less than a tenth ahead of him. :)

AB9447F6-1CC0-469B-871F-BBFF47D70AC9.png

on a track like tokyo there is no room for error. PD fix tour penalty system please! If the car in front loses control and you have no where to go, ghost the car so those behind can make it through. Touch that out of control car at no fault to you on open throttle on a narrow straight with walls on both sides and no runoff are, I shouldnt get a 5-8 sec penalty and the guy who lost control gets nothing. Doesnt make sense! Thats my rant, mfr was aggravating tonight, but I am a glutton for punishment and am doing it again ! lol

PS. mustang surprisingly slow on straights wo slipstream!

PSS. I think I am going to take the 41 pts and chalk it up to a bad night and a track to suited to my car choice, good night folks see you saturday!

Last edited:
Well, I let a Viper tow me to 6th in qualifying. The race was another story. T1 was predictably a cluster ****. Which resulted in the first of many barrier penalties I would receive. I hung between 5th and 8th for much of the race but the faster cars slipstreaming me to speeds faster than I was used resulted in a lot of barrier contact and a lot of barrier penalties. Eventually that dropped me too far from the pack. I ended up 10th. As you can see, my front end and the barriers had quite a few conversations. I may just take the 21 pts and run. It's been my experience that the point awarded drop as the evening goes on.

FIA Jan 8 2020.jpg

Prrtty disappointed.

With this penalty system you can push a car into the wall at a certain angle, or punt them across the road and not receive a penalty.

Alternately, you can make entirely inconsequential side-to-side contact which attracts a 6-8 second penalty.

Add in some unwise driving and you have a wasted round.

Just out of first race (maybe the only one tonight lol)

Qualified in 9th.. could be better, somehow I lost count of gears and botched T1.... but no hit on walls.

Brought the M4 to a decent 11th.... raking in 97 points... leaning towards calling it quits for the night!

First T1 was chaos... lost few positions there. but no penalties!

After lap 4, I was battling for 10th but decided to let up and follow. After few laps I was sitting 2s behind 10th and 3s ahead of a brand mate. It went like this to the end.

11th it was!

Wow, Race 3 at Tokyo was no joke ... In the first race of the day I did not have room to do a proper time and started last, and in the second race I did better.
I held back and managed the create some room and logged a time that put me on 12th with 5 on the door.
The first two laps were exciting and I was up to 8th place as best, but then a wall hit and the race started to be come a struggle.
That is the struggle with racing on this track, too much can go wrong. I had some exciting back and forth but that was just lost as soon as someone goes into the wall. I will properly never race this track again. :banghead:

First time in a while I had a poor car at a combo I really like. News flash: the Mustang is poor at top speed. I could just stay with the lead pack but it required no one trying passes where they shouldn't or someone ahead not making a mistake. As expected, that didn't happen and I decided a fortunate 8th was enough. To top it off, my PS4 couldn't capture my race because it was short on space. Might as well.

First time in a while I had a poor car at a combo I really like. News flash: the Mustang is poor at top speed. I could just stay with the lead pack but it required no one trying passes where they shouldn't or someone ahead not making a mistake. As expected, that didn't happen and I decided a fortunate 8th was enough. To top it off, my PS4 couldn't capture my race because it was short on space. Might as well.
That race from my perspective. The lacner is even worse off than the Mustang when it comes to straight line speed. Can't weight to go back to my Hyundai.

Fun combo but i went in cold with 1 lap of practice and an open mind. I figure this track is a bit of a drafting lottery so it's not really worth practicing. Ended up with a decent result and lots of action in the first half of the race. The Aston really seemed OP here and a couple weaker drivers with good cars kinda messed up the race.

Well the first two time slots didn’t go as planned ,qualifying was a nightmare with what ended up being a freight train of slower drivers with better top speed trying to dive bomb me from 10 car lengths back but some how managed to put my McLaren in P4 twice (650s)

But you guess it turn 1 slower drivers with merc, jag , Lexus trying to be Lewis Hamilton on the brakes but turning up with the talent of pastor Maldonado you can guess the end result for me .

still managed to drag myself back to 6th in both the races for 167 points but I was not happy with that so I decided I’d do the 3rd slot with a different approach.
I was going to maximise what the McLaren is good at and take the idiots out of the equation .

So 3rd slot qualifying I picked a driver who I knew was quick over a single lap and used him to my advantage and my plan worked got a 2.06:984 for pole in a McLaren (happy was a understatement)

now on to the race this is where my plan took place at the start I immediately went and hugged the wall forcing the following drivers to either risk the wall to get my slipstream or stay central and only close up slowly.
It worked they didn’t risk it and come turn 1 I managed to be better on the brakes get through the double right handed and with the pack acting like it’s a demolition derby I went down the hill with a 2 second lead broke slipstream by 1st sector.

for the next 6 laps a Lexus was reeling me in at a steady pace but I managed to stay ahead until lap 8 so I changed the game plan as I couldn’t out drag the rcf with the McLaren 7th gear acting like a anchor being thrown out the back.

I sat on his bumper for the last few laps until the final corner when I managed to get down the inside and just ahead on the final straight, but the McLarens 7th gear came up short by 0.091 at the line but I happy with a 2nd and 213 points that puts me 3rd in Europe for McLaren with a shot at retaining my S rating for a A rated driver .

Had a decent run in a funky lobby last night. Half As and A+s with one B and the rest Ds. I finished 10th after qualifying 9th, saw @NosOsH finish 3rd. I was in a race by myself for the last 4 laps or so, I pitted halfway just because its a short stop and I had the gap anyway. I think I finished 2nd of the D guys, 49 points. I'm glad it was a fun clean race, I haven't done sport mode in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back