FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I raced in the last slot of the night and qualified 8th. I could have started higher but I hit a wall during my second lap around the track.

As for the race itself, I was holding my breath almost the whole time and praying nothing stupid happened. I did pick up a 1.5 second penalty for colliding with the wall at one point, which fortunately was the only penalty I got the whole race. I feel lucky for that considering some of the experiences I read on here and what I saw in Kie25’s livestream yesterday. However, that penalty was enough to drop me down to 11th but thanks to the nature of this race favoring drafting, I was able to recover to my original position. But by that time, 5th and up had broken away into their own group, so the rest of the race was a battle for 6th place, which I won, but barely. After the hairpin on the final lap, it was a drag race between me and another car to the finish line, with a Mercedes SLS drafting me. It was about to pull up beside me but we crossed the line before it could make a move.

full

Ironically, I found the Gr. 3 race in the rain at this same track back in Season 1 less nerve wracking than this. But I guess it was because this race didn’t require pitting, which means no brief break to compose yourself.

I had no problems with the penalty system in Tokyo but I guess that because only mistake was my fault and I was not in the pack .. race penalty system was on point.

My race last night had the same issues you all described. I qualified 5th in a weird make up room, was taken out at the first corner, somehow managed to grab a 4 second penalty, and had to rely on people who qualified 5-6 seconds slower than me to draft with. I had multiple times where I’d pass these people on the straight through the draft, and then they would dive bomb me on the first corner and I’d get stuck behind them again. Frustrating as hell, needless to say. The last 5 laps were miserable even with less contact.

I ended up finishing p10.

I see what you're saying but it doesn't refute poor balancing. Of those cars mentioned we've got as such: Mercedes, Jag, McLaren, Aston, Lambo, Volkswagen, Lexus. Of all these mentioned you've got high tier both Gr.3 and Gr.4 options (Jag, Aston, VW, Lexus), undoubtedly meta (Lambo) and the eternal benchmark (Merc AMG). The only outlier for viability you've demonstrated is McLaren which is still not a sure thing.

The issue I have is we can't go to a circuit where a small section of the available cars are within a confident chance of winning based off a decision made well in advance that we're locked into. This goes for high speed tracks or slow speed. Even Monza last season did not have this issue. I reiterate, I was passed effortlessly by slow drivers in Astons BEFORE the start line with ~1sec gaps coming out fo the hairpin on this track. If there was a compromise, say slower straight line cars had a distinct advantage in the turns, fuel/tyre econ that actually showed itself in the race this would be fine but as it is its useless.
An Oceania top split slot was won by a Ferrari, and an EMEA top split slot was won by a Honda, so we can add those to the viable cars. McLaren was 2nd in one EMEA slot, so it was definitely viable. So we've got at least 10 cars that could be competitive, which seems like a decent number to me. Before exhibition season 2 I ran quite a lot of cars through the Dragon Trail Seaside Gr.4 race, and the Toyota 86 was the fastest for that of the cars I tested, and the Jag and Aston were 10 seconds slower, so you just have to look at the schedule for the season and make your choice based on that. It's expected that any given car will be good for some events and worse for others. You have to make your choice based on what is most important to you, e.g. many choose AMG when they have no chance of making the top 10, because they prioritise their DR and having the best chance of making the top 200. You can pick a weaker car that gives you more chance of making the top 10 precisely because it's weaker and fewer people choose it.

A change of attitude to this race meant I had a lot more fun. I'd put too much pressure on myself in the first two races to get a decent result so driving the Alfa on a power track actually meant I could relax and not worry so much. This made the race far more enjoyable.

The main drama was in qualifying when a Porsche in front of me decides they don't want to be the lead car so slam their brakes on right in front of me. This resulted in a 2 second penalty that would now be served on the first flying lap :rolleyes: It also meant serving the penalty and rejoining the slipstream train as quickly as possible, and in doing so I upset a GTR driver, although I did my best to not get in the way. They sent a message over PSN after the race and I think we've sorted things out.

Qualified 13th that I was more than happy with. The race starts and I lose a position before T1 as expected but doing alright and hanging on to the slipstream. At the end of lap 5 at the hairpin a Corvette cuts the corner too much and sends 2 barrels into my path. I'd forgotten how heavy the physics are on those things. The first one bounces harmlessly off the windscreen but the sodding second one gets jammed on the front of the car. I lose all momentum, finally manage to dislodge the thing and then a Porsche slams into the back of my slow moving car. The impact was so big it gave me rear aero damage, not that I noticed at the time. It was a shame as at that point I was still in the train that went all the way up to P1, and I imagine a top 10 was on the cards.

Still, more than happy with 13th and was good to keep the race penalty free (if not qualifying). From what I saw the racing was pretty clean too. It was kinda funny being the plucky little 4C in a field of power cars :)

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200109133249.jpg
20200109113035.jpg

Went with the 908 for the Le Mans race (any excuse to use that car). Once again the quali lap wasn't so great so was mid pack again. Managed to just survive the first few corners but unfortunately at the first chicane of the Mulsanne straight someone in a Gr.C went bowling and ruined 3 people's races including myself (2 of us went off, 1 was given an 8s penalty). After that it was just about recovering as much positions as possible, I pitted on lap 3 to softs, managed to get into the top 10 and somehow ended up with fastest lap as well which leaves me thinking what might have been. Was good fun anyway, nice to see a decent variety of cars also.

I'm surprised people are saying the Gr.4 Mustang struggled for top speed at Tokyo. I've always thought it was fast and it seemed one of the quicker cars in my race.
Mustang gearing and powerband makes it a dog from start/finish to Turn 1. It can stay in the tow but can't overtake anyone. Looked like the Viper was in that same boat.

What an awesome race!! I did a ton of practice for this race knowing my car was going to be strong here, I wasn’t expecting this result though. :D

View attachment 880290

It was a battle right from the first lap. I just played it safe and made sure to stay in the slipstream, and out of trouble. Luckily I got dealt a great group of guys to race with tonight and everyone was clean and fair the whole race. We all worked together as much as possible instead of squabbling over positions mid race and we were able to pull away from the field in the end because of it.

I qualified P2, but by the time we exited T2 I was in the lead. There was a group of 5/6 cars that started to pull away at first, but over the course of the race it had dwindled down to only 3 of us in the lead group. On the last lap I backed off going into T1, not wanting to be in the lead for that lap because whoever came out of the final corner in 1st probably wasn’t going to be the winner. P2 tried to make a move that didn’t work and spun a bit and I just barely avoided hitting him on the way by, I just had to stay close to the GTR then and hope I could catch enough draft on the home straight. I got just enough, and ended up finishing less than a tenth ahead of him. :)

View attachment 880289

Just watched this race and it was the most exciting I have seen in a while. This is really how Tokyo should look like with clean patient driving and using the tow to maximum advantage ! Well done :bowdown::bowdown::gtpflag:

I'm surprised people are saying the Gr.4 Mustang struggled for top speed at Tokyo. I've always thought it was fast and it seemed one of the quicker cars in my race.

What few realize is that your top speed down the straight, regardless of the car, is directly affected by how well you come out of the hairpin. The hairpin pretty much decides who will get to T1 first.

Just watched this race and it was the most exciting I have seen in a while. This is really how Tokyo should look like with clean patient driving and using the tow to maximum advantage ! Well done :bowdown::bowdown::gtpflag:

Thanks man! :cheers: It was definitely one of most thrilling races I’ve ever been a part of. :)

FF Cars.... the worst tyre wear, one of the worst at handling, apparently also no good on the straights haha! Definitely my last season with Audi, impossible to compete as an FF driver :(!

BoP Fail
And you realise after how many seasons lol
I know you love the R8 as it’s a car you want to actually buy this year but the TT is almost the worst gr4 car in the game

And you realise after how many seasons lol
I know you love the R8 as it’s a car you want to actually buy this year but the TT is almost the worst gr4 car in the game

I know, I know haha! RCZ Year 1, TT Year 2 :(! It's just frustrating and as R1600 Turbo said

Would be nice to get the R8 GT4 since none of these fwd cars belong there in the first place.

I honestly believe they need to make a Gr. T and put all the FWD Gr.4 cars in make it a touring car class and replace the 3 Gr.4 FF's needed for the manufacturers.

• R8 4wd Gr.4
  • RCZ Mr Gr.4
  • Beetle FR Gr.4
That would at least help a bit with the gr.4 balance :D!

I know, I know haha! RCZ Year 1, TT Year 2 :(! It's just frustrating and as R1600 Turbo said

I honestly believe they need to make a Gr. T and put all the FWD Gr.4 cars in make it a touring car class and replace the 3 Gr.4 FF's needed for the manufacturers.

• R8 4wd Gr.4
  • RCZ Mr Gr.4
  • Beetle FR Gr.4
That would at least help a bit with the gr.4 balance :D!

They already seem to know the Gr4 FF's are in a seperate class by the fact the daily race with Gr4 like Autopolis this week only allows the FF Gr4's. Knowing your luck @Tidgney they will bring out a 4WD Gr4 Audi just as you switch :lol:

I refuse to believe anything is worse than the Gr.4 GT-R. All the stability in the world is useless if it has the turning circle of the Titanic

Still, I didn't realise it was St. Croix this weekend. A win for me there, I think.

Go try the Mitsubishi Lancer in Gr.4 and then you will see what slow really means :)
Looks like tyre wear will win this Sundays race, so almost no point in FF or 4WD cars trying, which is a shame because the track is fun.

And on the FF thing Audi does have a MR Gr.4 car already. Peugeot and VW only have the TCR cars, but maybe they could "tune" one of their rally cars?

I still think that all they need to do is put in a tyre wear modifier on FF cars to reduce it a bit for them, but what do I know :)

I refuse to believe anything is worse than the Gr.4 GT-R. All the stability in the world is useless if it has the turning circle of the Titanic
Awe come on it's not that bad :), turning radius is only bad if you're hard on the power because it pulls you forward. Use a rear brake bias to shift the weight of the big back end around corners and don't get on throttle too early. The extra power makes up for it on exit. #NissanGang

Awe come on it's not that bad :), turning radius is only bad if you're hard on the power because it pulls you forward. Use a rear brake bias to shift the weight of the big back end around corners and don't get on throttle too early. The extra power makes up for it on exit. #NissanGang
Oh, I know. Brake, turn, wait for the car to roll round, then throttle. At least its huge wheelbase has made it easy to learn to drive with a wheel, but I don't feel as confident in the feedback yet as I did with the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back