FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah.....First Nations race with the karts?

Got about 20 seconds of penalties in the first race by being pushed wide into the grass with twerps diving the inside line. For crying out loud.....

So then I had a SR of A and was relegated to a low rank lobby. So I raced that and won to reclaim some SR thankfully.

To be fair I can see how it could be a fun race. In practice I had some epic battles with other guys for like ten laps in a row. Was a lot of fun. But in the race, people got too serious, as usual, and it all went to poo.

Went again. Survived. Started 13th, finished 6th. @Leggacy went from 2nd to about 10th back to 2nd

The top ten were within two seconds of one another with about three laps to go. With that in mind, PD could probably look at literally any race at any point today and see why the penalty system's not fit for purpose. I survived and was in the group near the front with a chance to win before I got a nonsense 2 second penalty on lap 18. I didn't touch anyone, I didn't knock anyone off the track. The game didn't give me a reason for the penalty, it was just there. Everyone (and there were a lot of people in that corner at the time) was trying to race fairly and sensibly, and it was still ruined by the penalty system.

This combo would make a fantastic Daily Race C, but there's no point if you can't race. That's currently the case.

Wow wasn’t expecting to be presented with this firing up the game today! Didn’t even realise that was a prize for being the 2nd best Dodge driver! I’m super happy but at the same time feel like it’s added pressure :lol: Has put a target on my back in the lobbies! :lol:

049BB2AB-88C0-429C-9A6D-AC2AB98741FF.jpeg

The Nürburgring GP GR.3 races last Sunday sent me to SR C Hell after all types of penalties I was given!

Spent the past two days on Daily Race B trying to get back to S. Two days bouncing from C-B-A-B-C-B... you get the point. - Felt very alien because I recognize maybe one or two driver named for two days of racing.

Finally back to SR S and managed to collect like ~3000 DR points in the I’m done for today.

Cheers :cheers:

Went again. Survived. Started 13th, finished 6th. @Leggacy went from 2nd to about 10th back to 2nd

The top ten were within two seconds of one another with about three laps to go. With that in mind, PD could probably look at literally any race at any point today and see why the penalty system's not fit for purpose. I survived and was in the group near the front with a chance to win before I got a nonsense 2 second penalty on lap 18. I didn't touch anyone, I didn't knock anyone off the track. The game didn't give me a reason for the penalty, it was just there. Everyone (and there were a lot of people in that corner at the time) was trying to race fairly and sensibly, and it was still ruined by the penalty system.

This combo would make a fantastic Daily Race C, but there's no point if you can't race. That's currently the case.
That was a tough race the penalty system kinda ruined it, I got bumped from behind on the straight and got a 6 second penalty!! It’s a shame as there was some great racing going on, I have saved the replay but haven’t watched it yet.

I came straight on here after my nations race because I'm still shaking with disbelief. Got upgraded to S but then I was chucked right with the aliens like Turismo-lester and Cardier----something lol. Had basically a whole 5 minutes of practice and I thought about skipping tonight because I was slow. Qualified 13th I said eh let's see what happens. As people kept getting penalties and crashing I eventually found my self in 3rd and fighting for the lead :odd:. If you would have told me that before the race I would have slapped you and said you have the coronavirus that went straight to your dome. On the last lap I got hit from behind and fell to 5th but someone didn't have a great exit across the line and I beat him by milliseconds to come home 4th and 233 points..................

RUN AWAY BEFORE PEOPLE REALIZE IM A FRAUD!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a tough race the penalty system kinda ruined it, I got bumped from behind on the straight and got a 6 second penalty!! It’s a shame as there was some great racing going on, I have saved the replay but haven’t watched it yet.
You actually got two. 2 seconds for being clipped by someone who clipped someone else while trying to pass you after drafting, then divebombed into the first corner. Being on the outside gets you a penalty. It's a shame it ruined the race, but that's just the way it goes right now.

What a dilemma: I got my best points ever since they changed to this current points system (189 pts), but the finish itself was lower than I expected, and this race was probably my best shot at getting over 200 pts in a race.

I'd previously never finished outside the Top 5 in any FIA kart race, but today I could only manage 8th. It's way better than I'd normally do in 2nd(?) split when racing actual cars, but it's kinda sad to see that streak come to an end. Anyway in the race itself, I qualified 11th after slipstreaming someone who then messed up the first of the double left-handers at the end of the lap, basically forcing me to try to pass him lest I abort my lap entirely. In the end neither of us lost much time, but in a field that was inevitably going to be tight, I could've done without that. I tried 2 more laps but wasn't able to get behind anyone to slipstream them. In the race itself, I fought with the back part of the Top 10 for the first 4 laps before losing touch and running by myself in 11th for 10 laps, falling in and out of the slipstream to the karts in front as they battled and settled down. 12th place also sat just outside my slipstream during that time. Then on lap 14 everything up front kicked off and after several karts had penalties or went off track I found myself in a 5-way fight for 6th, but 6th escaped us and in the end I couldn't hold on to 7th.

So I'm once again faced with the decision to try again and hope for better, which I feel like I could do, or just not take the risk and bank these 189 points. I'll probably just take these results and just hope the F1500T shows up later in the season (even better if it's at a track I like) for another shot at 200+ points. I have yet to even finish off the podium with that car...

Edit:
I came straight on here after my nations race because I'm still shaking with disbelief. Got upgraded to S but then I was chucked right with the aliens like Turismo-lester and Cardier----something lol. Had basically a whole 5 minutes of practice and I thought about skipping tonight because I was effing slow. Qualified 13th I said eh let's see what happens. As people kept getting penalties and crashing I eventually found my self in 3rd and fighting for the lead :odd:. If you would have told me that before the race I would have slapped you and said you have the coronavirus that went straight to your dome. On the last lap I got hit from behind and fell to 5th but someone didn't have a great exit across the line and I beat him by milliseconds to come home 4th and 233 points..................

RUN AWAY BEFORE PEOPLE REALIZE IM A FRAUD!
Wow you qualified behind me and we battled a bit before you just left me behind. :lol::gtpflag:(I was equus_ferrum).

Last edited:
Bah.....First Nations race with the karts?

Got about 20 seconds of penalties in the first race by being pushed wide into the grass with twerps diving the inside line. For crying out loud.....

So then I had a SR of A and was relegated to a low rank lobby. So I raced that and won to reclaim some SR thankfully.

To be fair I can see how it could be a fun race. In practice I had some epic battles with other guys for like ten laps in a row. Was a lot of fun. But in the race, people got too serious, as usual, and it all went to poo.
Same boat for me. I trust karts to bring my SR up before attempting Race C.

I’ve decided to try something different for this season. I really like the Gr4 4C, but I’ve never really driven the Gr3 before. Anyone got any tips? :)

View attachment 900784
Few of us here raced Alfa pre-season. The Gr.3 races were a complete blur. :lol:

I'll take a one and done race in Nations tonight!

6PM EDT North American slot, A/S lobby. Qualified 13th, ran as high as 6th mid-race so I knew I had race pace. Settled into a clean battle with 3rd through 8th in the latter stages. In the final 2 corners of the final lap, 2 dudes ahead fought and both got 5 second penalties, 1 guy cut the final corner and got a one second penalty and another ran wide and slammed the end of the wall on the left on the start finish straight.

All this chaos promoted me from 7th with 2 corners to go, to 3rd at the line for a season opening podium and 147 points. :D

Last edited:
Doing another Gran Turisbros livestream podcast tonight! Featuring @Deafsun13 @PhoenixCooper2k aka "DarkRai", Windfire, Outlawquadrant, Roadbeef, PHX_DJ, and more! We'll be discussing the recent Mazda partnership news, Nations' Cup R1, and many repicks!

There was some contact and there was some lag, but there was also some close, clean racing and I somehow avoided penalties the whole race. This actually went better than I expected. I kinda suck at Karts but one attempt for over 200 points on very little practice is good enough to call it a night. Props to Gouletzky and Closer for the fun battles we had. Photo finish at the end was intense, and I even picked up 2 extra positions from penalties at the line. Cheers!

Don't know if Custom Race is accurate to Sport Mode, but started from 20th. Ran 6RM/7RH, Fuel 1. 1.3 Laps left in the tank.

Of course the AI make it easy. Trying to catch the two rubberbanding lead M6s, by racing clean (sometimes having to wait for slow AI braking mid-corner) and making sure I have fuel(AI usually run long and don't change tyres).

I suspect the RSRs will be a problem. So, might do 7RM/6RM. The RH gave me consistent 2minute flat times.
The RM were 1:58-2:00.

Thinking about it. Might do one race as a No stop on RH and the next race one stop on RM.

So, what's everyone thinking for the first Manu race on Wednesday? One stop?
One stop for me if all goes to plan, two stop possible if it all goes to 🤬! Two stop is viable time-wise because of the short pit stop. Depends how hard you are on your tyres and fuel to be able to push and make the most of them

Edit: Top split just got won with a 2 stop

Last edited:
A short update after the standings were updated - I am 23rd in Austria and 652 in EMEA.

I realised that I did not present my objectives for the season:

Nations Cup:
Top3 in Vienna Region
Top20 in Austrian Leaderboards
Top400 in EMEA

Manufacturers Cup:
Top35 for Alfa Romeo
Top400 in EMEA

Bonus objective: A+ ranking at the end of the season(not gonna happen).

I did manage to improve my time to a 1.55.9 in the practice last evening, but I stopped because I was starting to overdrive the car. I will try another 30min session today and then see you on the racetrack.

Nations Round 1
This race had so much potential and ended up completely infuriating. :odd:
Everything that could possibly go wrong did. I was absolutely raging by the end of the night.

I was nervous about it going in, then found it was actually really fun... at first. My first attempt was some of the best racing I've had in a long time, all the way up until the final sector. The penalty system had just been waiting the whole time, and I wasn't going to be allowed to escape unscathed. Everyone went full send at the end and it seems I was selected to receive the penalties. 🤬

I accidentally tapped a kart in front after emerging over the upward left-hander to find he was going quite slowly over the apex, so I lost some of my momentum. He didn't seem to have any negative impact from it though - if anything that worked in his favour! The kart behind then hit me, and I got 6 seconds of penalties for it. 🤬

Some more fighting happened in the final bends and I snuck between it for P6 on the line, dropped back to P10. No other penalties that I noticed for anyone else in that pack though. :irked:

I should have stopped there, but seeing what I could have achieved with a clean race was too tempting.

The second race was a disaster; mistakes in qualifying, my PS4 displaying a full-screen error message mid-race because the streaming connection dropped and me making stupid mistakes from frustration led to a very poor result.

Then I went again, for more of the same as the second race although with a slightly better result. Still far worse than my first attempt though. Driving angry doesn't work at the best of times, let alone in the karts. So many errors from trying to push too hard.

Not the start to the season I was hoping for, and it cost me about 1.2k DR in the process. :indiff:

Okay, I'm done. Got stuck with F/RH R/RM for qualy and the first stint. Pitted for fresh RM front & back. No dramas, but the lead AMG pitted early and came out behind me. It nearly bumped me trying to pass at the first few corners instead of waiting for the straight.

Anyway, I pitted with a couple other cars. Made it up to P2. Was catching the P1 AMG little by little with a few laps to go. It goes wide after the PZ right-hander. Managed the gap to the finish. Celebrating the first win for Mazda after the RX-VISION GT3 news. :)

ETYDFgNUYAAdk70.jpeg
ETYDcygU8AAnYd4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back