FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone try a test race for the manufacturers cup stage 2? I was driving the corvette and had to be super cautious on the fuel usage and only able to stayed at mid-1:30 in every lap... seems like will get overtaken by gtr again and again:banghead:

btw i screwed up the last race with only 70pts and still able to rank at no7 in asia lol seems like most of the chevy drivers were sluggish in suzuka:irked:
Tested it out. Likely a 0-stop for most cars unless you desire a 2nd set of the only allowable tires: racing hard.

Going with Audi in 2020 (too many people picked my usual Alfa). Will try to race occasionally, even though I don't like the current state of GTS.

Some quick questions because I haven't raced for some time:

- Is the slipstream still op? For qualifying, should I do my lap alone or is better to follow the slipstream?

- For qualifying, should I consider the tank empty like in time trials or is it a constant full tank and heavy car?

4764892048106979348_0.jpg

Going with Audi in 2020 (too many people picked my usual Alfa). Will try to race occasionally, even though I don't like the current state of GTS.

Some quick questions because I haven't raced for some time:

- Is the slipstream still op? For qualifying, should I do my lap alone or is better to follow the slipstream?

- For qualifying, should I consider the tank empty like in time trials or is it a constant full tank and heavy car?

4764892048106979348_0.jpg

The slip stream depends on your split. Top split people say yes. In my low DR A room (I was at like 32k I think), I took the pole with a solo lap. I think the faster you are, the more important it is.

There is no fuel for qualifying now. It’s like free practice with tire wear enabled.

Long load time. I was able to complete three full FP laps, before the Warm-up.

Edit. Well, here we go... Standing start.
EWq3lCTVcAEp-GO.jpeg

Edit2: Flat out. No strategy. 8RM/2RH/6RM. I think everyone One stopped. . My lowest position was 17th after running 2nd and 3rd from the 1st lap. Rocket start! TCS1, passed two cars, switch TCS Off, gabbed another spot before T1. Pulled away from everything out of corners and on the straights.

Got FL lap before i pit. Some started on RH and ran long. One 86 got too punty early on. I seriously typed before the race, "Long race, please be patient". Anyway, a good race for those frugal four-cylinders. One and done.
EWq_1t_U0AEMZN1

Last edited:
After a month of getting used to gran turismo as I usually play f1. I finally started to find some speed and last week in monza I did a good qualy time 196th in region if I'm not wrong, I got my dr up to A level with wins following the pole positions.

I decided to go with Ford this season. I must say after the update both gr3 and gr4 cars felt sooo understeery but oh well...

In Suzuka I qualified 2nd and followed a lambo whole race with a lot of fuel saving. Then got into the lead with the overcut plus no fueling the whole race. It was looking good and i was going for big points close to 200 (maybe not that big).

Only half a lap to go my wife distracted me big time and first I went wide at spoon then at 130r again finishing the race 4th or 5th. I can't remember so well as I was furious and shut the game down immidiately.

Nevertheless I got 144 points and I am the points leader in baden württemberg for ford ahead of 2 others, wow

For the Redbull Ring, I fell better. I was able to keep withing 1 tenth of lightning's ghost for the first half of the lap. But the second half is bad for my chunky Mustang as the front of the car is heavier then most cruise ships.

Lastly, I wonder, is it me or after the update ford is much weaker then before. I kind of regret choosing ford tbh.

Tried a few different cars for the nation's cup race just in hot lap mode and got on best with the Alfa (big surprise) and the Ferrari which I initially set a better lap with than the Alfa. Really couldn't quite get the lap times out of the Toyota 86 so I'm discounting that immediately. Toss up between the Alfa and Ferrari for me. Alfa has the slight pace advantage but Ferrari has more straight line speed and is more consistent.

Can't deny DTG, when shes calling me. Had an itch that needed scratching. One less Cup point and pretty lack luster performance from the RC F. Fuel economy and straightline speed while short shifting is good, but it's not nimble like the Mustang. Wouldn't pull up, on barley worn RMs, for my final stint(One stop 11RH/7RM).

Qualified on RH. Two Vipers were in the top 10. I finished ahead of one. The other Viper finished in the top 10, due to a battle I got caught up in with 4Cs. A Cayman sliced through and the 4Cs allowed the Viper to pull away. Feel like doing one more. Probably in the Cayman or 650S. Something different.
EWr2ow8VcAAunGE

After a month of getting used to gran turismo as I usually play f1. I finally started to find some speed and last week in monza I did a good qualy time 196th in region if I'm not wrong, I got my dr up to A level with wins following the pole positions.

I decided to go with Ford this season. I must say after the update both gr3 and gr4 cars felt sooo understeery but oh well...

In Suzuka I qualified 2nd and followed a lambo whole race with a lot of fuel saving. Then got into the lead with the overcut plus no fueling the whole race. It was looking good and i was going for big points close to 200 (maybe not that big).

Only half a lap to go my wife distracted me big time and first I went wide at spoon then at 130r again finishing the race 4th or 5th. I can't remember so well as I was furious and shut the game down immidiately.

Nevertheless I got 144 points and I am the points leader in baden württemberg for ford ahead of 2 others, wow

For the Redbull Ring, I fell better. I was able to keep withing 1 tenth of lightning's ghost for the first half of the lap. But the second half is bad for my chunky Mustang as the front of the car is heavier then most cruise ships.

Lastly, I wonder, is it me or after the update ford is much weaker then before. I kind of regret choosing ford tbh.
Thinking about re-joining Ford after a strong run last year in the Mustangs; in my personal experience, the Gr.4 version still feels nice providing you're prepared to take a smooth and gradual driving style with it. What brake bias settings do you use? Whenever I use either I tend to set it as far to the rear as possible (usually +4) so that they feel less understeery.

Either way, that's a great start to the season! There's no shame in finishing 4th or 5th considering how easy it is to go wide at those places. I myself have had a knack of doing that at the first corner no matter what I drive. :dopey:

Did some test lobbies for RBR yesterday and it turns out that the Ford GT feels sublime for me. Light, punchy yet economical thanks to the low redline. That doesn't mean to say that the Mustang doesn't have its advantages, though. You might find that its straight-line speed will come in handy on faster circuits like Le Mans, Interlagos and possibly Bathurst if that turns up in the other two stages.

Friendly fire in this one. Last minute switch to the 4C. Started 4th. Good start. 2nd or 3rd lap, punted a friendly as we were turning for T1. It was one of those, "I leave enough distance before we brake. Okay, we're braking. CAr ahead should be turning now... like now.. are they turning? Are they gonna turn? turn! turn! turn!... *bam!*:scared:... sugah :ill:(apologised after)... Fell to 11th.

Run long. Pit for RH and fuel. Jumped up to 6th. Waiting for tyres to warm up. One lap done. STILL waiting for tyres to grip up. Rear sliding and twitchy. This is why I disliked MR cars in the first place. Go another lap and pit for RM. Plus, I need a drop of fuel.
Set an FL with about 3 laps to go. Caught 6th/7th/8th. 8th ran out of fuel and I just missed that spot by .002 seconds. Welp, on to Austria.
EWsIqTJU8AAOc_t

What brake bias settings do you use? Whenever I use either I tend to set it as far to the rear as possible (usually +4) so that they feel less understeery.

Either way, that's a great start to the season! There's no shame in finishing 4th or 5th considering how easy it is to go wide at those places. I myself have had a knack of doing that at the first corner no matter what I drive. :dopey:

Yeah brake bias was to the front at Suzuka I realised that towards the end of the race. But for Redbull Ring I play with it during the lap. First corner 0 BB than into second corner with the heavy braking -2 than next corner 0 again, for the next corners until the lap ends I use +2.

Trying to understand the car better and play with little things. Not only to be faster but also enjoy the game more. But in the race I wouldn't play with the car that much I guess :)

Also thanks for the encouraging message.

Last edited:
The slip stream depends on your split. Top split people say yes. In my low DR A room (I was at like 32k I think), I took the pole with a solo lap. I think the faster you are, the more important it is.

There is no fuel for qualifying now. It’s like free practice with tire wear enabled.
I guess it’ll be the usual slipstream train in my split then. Thanks!

I guess it’ll be the usual slipstream train in my split then. Thanks!

I think you'll be much happier with the new slipstream, it's very reduced. This is coming from my experience and I'm a back of the pack top split / top of 2nd split driver. I didn't see a lot of lining up at Suzuka on Saturday and it wasn't bad in the Supra race on Sunday. I'm very happy with the change.

Also, to answer your earlier question about qualifying - even though fuel is turned off for qualifying, it feels like the car has a full tank unlike it does in the Time Trial. That's my feeling, but I'm not an alien, so I can't confirm.

Also, to answer your earlier question about qualifying - even though fuel is turned off for qualifying, it feels like the car has a full tank unlike it does in the Time Trial. That's my feeling, but I'm not an alien, so I can't confirm.

Wouldn't it be nice to know for sure? lol

My qualifying lap at Suzuka was 3/4 s to 1s faster than my fastest lap during the race, so I assumed fuel weight was the reason. Or I ran the best lap of my life in qualifying, haha. Could be either I suppose.

Wouldn't it be nice to know for sure? lol

My qualifying lap at Suzuka was 3/4 s to 1s faster than my fastest lap during the race, so I assumed fuel weight was the reason. Or I ran the best lap of my life in qualifying, haha. Could be either I suppose.

Haha, maybe you nailed it in qualifying! The only reason I think we have the weight of fuel is because the qualifying times are still a bit slower (I think) than the TT times where there is no fuel weight. That's my only logic.

1st slot of Nations wrnt suprisingly well for me:) started 8th finished 2, 98pts... For sure will try again beacause now Im back to S FP so points will be much higher. Was driving 86, winner was 4C. I did 2 stopper which I think was bad decision, gotta fight for 2nd to last corner(beutiful overtake on the outside)

1st slot of Nations wrnt suprisingly well for me:) started 8th finished 2, 98pts... For sure will try again beacause now Im back to S FP so points will be much higher. Was driving 86, winner was 4C. I did 2 stopper which I think was bad decision, gotta fight for 2nd to last corner(beutiful overtake on the outside)

Well done, I came 13th starting 10th, but was hit hard first lap and was down to 20th with over 10 sec gap with 19th.

I started with RH and continued until I ran dry with fuel, I then halved the remaining laps with 2 sets of RM, this worked well, just a shame it was a dirty race, as with the qualifying so I'll try again this evening.

I was using the 458 Italia and my beat qualy is low 2min 18.

Had a surprisingly good result in the nation's race after a less than great practice using the 4C I didn't have any expectations of a decent result come the race. Qualifying was Ok not bad but not great. I was fairly happy with my first lap but screwed up my second to start 7th in the grid. Made a good initial start up into 5th thanks to starting on the inside and getting a good launch only to fall back to 7th again after an overly aggressive driver behind me making some questionable moves. Managed to do a great job fuel saving in the little Alfa and stretched my only stop to lap 13 while maintaining good of consistent pace on the medium tyres. Came out the pits having made up a huge amount of time on strategy (10 seconds considering fuel saving and staying on the faster tyre) to come out 4th. From there continued to put in good times and would have finished 4th only the leader made a few mistakes on the hard tyre dropping them to 13th in the space of about 5 laps, ouch! Came home and finished on the podium in my first Nations cup race in a long while and picked up a decent amount of points for me!

I think you'll be much happier with the new slipstream, it's very reduced. This is coming from my experience and I'm a back of the pack top split / top of 2nd split driver. I didn't see a lot of lining up at Suzuka on Saturday and it wasn't bad in the Supra race on Sunday. I'm very happy with the change.
Daily Race B with the Supra at Spa for me last night. Slipstream is definitely reduced and less of a factor. Not as many bottled up cars at the end of the straight on lap 1. The result is a more spread out pack, but it makes for cleaner skill based racing. I hope they keep it this way.

Good to know. We're in a similar level then. I'm probably second split for the early races and eventually top split as the night goes on.

As for the weight of the car, can't think of a worse track for unpleasant surprises than Red Bull Ring :)

Whats the Pit/Tyre Strat for this round today?
Hi,
I did a one stop with the Alfa, 12M 6H +60% fuel. It worked better than 2 stop strategy would have I think. I saw a few 2 stoppers trying to make it work but none succeeded.
I'm DR A SR S, I saw a few aggressive moves (and defended accordingly) but nothing outrageous. Q8 P4.
It's a tough track to get right with those kerbs, but I really enjoy it.
Good luck!

Hi,
I did a one stop with the Alfa, 12M 6H +60% fuel. It worked better than 2 stop strategy would have I think. I saw a few 2 stoppers trying to make it work but none succeeded.
I'm DR A SR S, I saw a few aggressive moves (and defended accordingly) but nothing outrageous. Q8 P4.
It's a tough track to get right with those kerbs, but I really enjoy it.
Good luck!

Thanks mate, Managed to Qualify 3rd. I have the most dirtiest SR - S/DR - A Race I've ever had. On start people trying to whack each other Into the wall. & Dirty Cheaters. Finished 14th Need to compose myself and go again with a fresh mind for the next race shortly. Well done on the Strat though that seems to work best!

Thanks mate, Managed to Qualify 3rd. I have the most dirtiest SR - S/DR - A Race I've ever had. On start people trying to whack each other Into the wall. & Dirty Cheaters. Finished 14th Need to compose myself and go again with a fresh mind for the next race shortly. Well done on the Strat though that seems to work best!

I've just tried it for the second time today, again my race was ruined. Unfortunately everytime someone could hit me mid corner to gain advantage they did, and like the first time my race was ruined corner 1 lap 1. I wasn't directly dive bombed but got pushed and hit the wall hard. Needed up last again with heavy damage, going to try again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back