FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it generally agreed that private lobby physics are different than the PD-hosted FIA races? I ask because in my sim race at Big Willow, the results show that I would be about 10 sec faster over the race, to run a no-stop on M's. But the consensus seems to be that you will want to run the S's for the race. The difference for me seems to be that I was not able to get the ultimate pace out of the Softs in the lobby sim run, compared to the "Free Practice" session offered in the FIA race menu. If there is a noticeable difference, between the two race environments, that would explain it. I am leaning to running the 14S/1M strategy now, or start on the H's if I qualify terrible (very possible! I don't seem to have the speed here...).

Is it generally agreed that private lobby physics are different than the PD-hosted FIA races? I ask because in my sim race at Big Willow, the results show that I would be about 10 sec faster over the race, to run a no-stop on M's. But the consensus seems to be that you will want to run the S's for the race. The difference for me seems to be that I was not able to get the ultimate pace out of the Softs in the lobby sim run, compared to the "Free Practice" session offered in the FIA race menu. If there is a noticeable difference, between the two race environments, that would explain it. I am leaning to running the 14S/1M strategy now, or start on the H's if I qualify terrible (very possible! I don't seem to have the speed here...).

Did you have tire wear and/or fuel consumption on? Because they're both turned off in Free Practice I've noticed there's quite a bit of difference in the physics, tire wear is obvious but with fuel, when fuel consumption is off the car feels much lighter, like there is no fuel aboard.

I don't like Willow Springs, but since it was low tyre-wear, the Nissan's recent BOP change has made it more manoeuvrable and a bunch of them were on the top 10 leaderboard and since it was a short race, I gave it a try

Lap 1:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200610154402.jpg

@Razgriz2118 is correct. It's best to practice in a lobby you create with the same race details. The FIA practice lobbies are a sham. lol

**This also applies to anyone participating in the daily races where tire and fuel consumption are turned on.**

Did you have tire wear and/or fuel consumption on? Because they're both turned off in Free Practice I've noticed there's quite a bit of difference in the physics, tire wear is obvious but with fuel, when fuel consumption is off the car feels much lighter, like there is no fuel aboard.

I did. that's what makes me think the no-stopper is a better choice than what the consensus suggests. If I based my lap times on the FP (optimal fuel weight, no tire wear, etc) then I would say for sure the Softs are worth the pit stop. But when I ran the sim with fuel burn and tire wear at the FIA race settings, the advantage was wiped out. Some from my driving performance not at 10/10, I'm sure, but also seemed to be based on the realities of the grip available for the whole stint.

@Razgriz2118 is correct. It's best to practice in a lobby you create with the same race details. The FIA practice lobbies are a sham. lol

**This also applies to anyone participating in the daily races where tire and fuel consumption are turned on.**

Agreed... I did! That's the source of my question.

I don't like Willow Springs, but since it was low tyre-wear, the Nissan's recent BOP change has made it more manoeuvrable and a bunch of them were on the top 10 leaderboard and since it was a short race, I gave it a try

Lap 1:

View attachment 928962

That's going to hurt! I know Big Willow is a popular sportsman's track, but man, the offs there can be huge! I would not dare race my own real car at that track. You'd have to be able to afford two of whatever you're driving, for sure. (and that spot in particular looks dangerous for the drivers and fans alike...)

I did. that's what makes me think the no-stopper is a better choice than what the consensus suggests. If I based my lap times on the FP (optimal fuel weight, no tire wear, etc) then I would say for sure the Softs are worth the pit stop. But when I ran the sim with fuel burn and tire wear at the FIA race settings, the advantage was wiped out. Some from my driving performance not at 10/10, I'm sure, but also seemed to be based on the realities of the grip available for the whole stint.

Agreed... I did! That's the source of my question.

That's going to hurt! I know Big Willow is a popular sportsman's track, but man, the offs there can be huge! I would not dare race my own real car at that track. You'd have to be able to afford two of whatever you're driving, for sure. (and that spot in particular looks dangerous for the drivers and fans alike...)

When setting up a practice lobby, always make sure that Off Course Traction is set to “real” or the physics will not match the race lobby. :)

One report probably not doing anything, 50 100 may do something.... We all can check this out. Take nickname from @Redneckchef video and report this guy... There are many replays uploaded, in this thread and in dailies... Not longer than yesterday @ASH32 uploaded replay with some russian and french idiot... Question is anybody is interested in putting some effort and report them? Or this whole disscussion ends without any actions?

#cleanracesmatters;)

For what it's worth i did report those two at the time, the only two of the week because I only report clearly intentional stuff like this.

Anyone crazy enough to race at Big Willow today will probably find 2 people to report per race. ;)

I'm with you on this one!

I'm itching to race. Haven't made it out for a FIA event since Race 9 on of the last round.

Same here but since Interlegos week 10. I'll be in every slot tonight go big or go home I'll either fall out of A+ tonight or I'll bring home 200+ point finish!

Lap 1:

View attachment 928962

I believe this corner in particular is a right-hander, not a left-hander.

first slot missed by 0.001 sec
I better win this one

My mind's tellin me no, but my body...my body's tellin me yes

edit: after watching your stream I think "don't" is the right answer. Sorry to see that person spun you out. Was a really bad move on their part.

Last edited:
Ferrari looked like it was going to well around willow springs provided I stay out the sand realm. Also was in the same lobby as @xxPinkyKissxx which was great.

Qualifying was a complete disaster for me. I got blocked on my first lap by the eventual pole sitter in a Renault on my first flying lap and from there on only managed one fast lap putting me in 14th 0.5 of @xxPinkyKissxx in 4th.

So after a dismal qualifying I went for the alternative strategy and started on the medium tyres, pitting lap 1. This turned out to be a stroke of genius as I avoided all the fighting at the start and could leapfrog some cars in the pits.

Lap 1 was fine as I pitted from where I started, coming out in effectively last. Managed to get past a Mitsubishi and a Mustang on lap 3 for 15th place. I quickly gained on the pack ahead. Managed to leapfrog the beetle that started ahead of me for 14th and got a Lamborghini that went off lap 4 for 13th and behind @xxPinkyKissxx who had an unfortunate excursion into the sand when on the next lap picked up a completely BS penalty for a slight bump draft giving me that spot. Got past the Merc that she was fighting on the put straight for 10th (particularly sweet given I was in a Ferrari).

Very happy with the race so far I managed to catch and pass an Alfa into T1 on lap 8 for 8th as another Lexus went of lap 6 at the last corner. I then caught the 2 cars ahead on lap 11. Lap 12 was promoted to 7th a Porsche went of. Lap 13 was in 6th as the Z4 ahead pitted for new tyres.

Last lap and I was on the back of a pack for 3rd. At the last corner of the last lap two cars were caught out by 3rd and on was bumped of by the other leaving me to finish in 4th overall.

Very happy with that race as pitting early and not making any mistakes shot me right up the order!

I hope you don't fall below 40K by the 19:40 EST time slot...if I see you, I'll know things have gone wrong!

Haha I've got a limit on DR I'm willing to lose. 5k under cutline so 45k and I'll quit until I'm close to top 10 on a certain track again then grind back up. This method sucks because there are days I want to race but have to sit out otherwise fall into a downward spiral.

That was heartbreaking.

Door number 18 and somehow qualified 2nd. 1st place spun off early on and then I got punted off in the second sector and dropped to 17th. I made my way back up to 6th and on the final corner of lap 15 I went flying off due to my own stupidity and finished 9th. It was full of dirty drivers and was a horrible race.

I’ll have to go again I think.

26637878-6F0D-4E44-8BF7-8B41CC6AEE04.jpeg

Well that sucked! Felt quick here and put it on 4th on the grid which I was really pleased with.

D6F80938-FC90-4253-BCC1-8FBA4F35B23C.jpeg

lap 3 I stupidly didn’t slow down enough for the final corner and went off into the desert. Rejoined in 12th. Caught up with 11th by lap 5th and followed him round turn 2, too close according to the penalty system which gave me 4 seconds for it. How I didn’t quit at that point I don’t know. I was raging.

That put me right back in 17th or something like that. Spent rest of the race trying to reduce DR loss making up places. In a foul mood now. Want to go again but I know I’ll end up screwing it up and getting a worse result.

Good to see @Adam Barber in my race again and well done on the great result!

View attachment 928987

Well that sucked! Felt quick here and put it on 4th on the grid which I was really pleased with.

View attachment 928986

lap 3 I stupidly didn’t slow down enough for the final corner and went off into the desert. Rejoined in 12th. Caught up with 11th by lap 5th and followed him round turn 2, too close according to the penalty system which gave me 4 seconds for it. How I didn’t quit at that point I don’t know. I was raging.

That put me right back in 17th or something like that. Spent rest of the race trying to reduce DR loss making up places. In a foul mood now. Want to go again but I know I’ll end up screwing it up and getting a worse result.

Good to see @Adam Barber in my race again and well done on the great result!

That penalty was absolutely ridiculous, commiserations on the result it was not deserved.

What happens if you disconnect from the network during a race? I started at 1st position but when the race started, I got disconnected.

That was heartbreaking.

Door number 18 and somehow qualified 2nd. 1st place spun off early on and then I got punted off in the second sector and dropped to 17th. I made my way back up to 6th and on the final corner of lap 15 I went flying off due to my own stupidity and finished 9th. It was full of dirty drivers and was a horrible race.

I’ll have to go again I think.
Second race I qualified 5th. Was in second until about lap 10 and then a small mistake dropped me to 4th. Again on the last lap I binned it and ended up 9th!!! So horrible. At least I gained DR in both races. I don’t think I can be bothered with another race.

Looking back I think FIA might be more than I want to bother with. I don't drive nearly as ruthless and vindictive as it seems to be necessary in the lobbies I am most frequently in. Was 🤬 about last night and went and checked my races. Every time I have gotten to top 10 in Manu I have been punted off.

Moreover PD isnt bothering with clean driving. Captain anger boy from my video got themselves a massive points haul again last night killing a late night lobby after ruining me. Can we get a 1 shot system back? Having someone run 5 slots and destroy people in 3 out of spite because they can go back later is a total failure if system.

Hang in there everyone and good luck.:cheers:

Looking back I think FIA might be more than I want to bother with. I don't drive nearly as ruthless and vindictive as it seems to be necessary in the lobbies I am most frequently in. Was 🤬 about last night and went and checked my races. Every time I have gotten to top 10 in Manu I have been punted off.

Moreover PD isnt bothering with clean driving. Captain anger boy from my video got themselves a massive points haul again last night killing a late night lobby after ruining me. Can we get a 1 shot system back? Having someone run 5 slots and destroy people in 3 out of spite because they can go back later is a total failure if system.

Hang in there everyone and good luck.:cheers:

feel the same. I quite my last race fed up with the ramming and decided to stop the online racing at GT. I had some time to think about it and i realised i am not having fun anymore. it is just rewarding to push others of. Most of the time the one punted off gets the penalty and if you do get one it is only 1 or 2 seconds. Last year there was so much better racing with the penalty system being so strict. Offcourse you had rammers there but they were a minority then i feel?

I think I'm cursed in Manufacturers'. I dragged the Renault to 3rd on the grid only to bin it at the exit of T5 on the first lap, and when I recovered to about 7th, I clipped the sand at the exit of the final corner and spun about 800-900deg into the infield. I pitted for Hards on L13 as the duo I followed stayed out. I caught a napping Porsche under braking for the final corner and barely hung on in the drag race to the end for 9th on the road, 25s down on the winner, which became 8th when an Austrian fell foul of the tyre rules. I'll take the 120 points and run rather than risk getting lost in the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back