FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I'm going to run this one or not because school work picked up quite a bit this past week, I haven't even practiced yet. Luckily though this doesn't look like the killer race to not miss haha, although the Gr. B race around Tsukuba worked out well for me.... I may be pushing my luck though lol

Not sure if I'm going to run this one or not because school work picked up quite a bit this past week, I haven't even practiced yet. Luckily though this doesn't look like the killer race to not miss haha, although the Gr. B race around Tsukuba worked out well for me.... I may be pushing my luck though lol

I'm in the same boat - I thought I was pushing my luck at Monza. But I missed the Nations race this week and have been needing a good FIA race. So I might have to risk it and hope that the Aston is as good around Tsukuba as people are saying it is. My main concern though is traffic - in a lobby of 18 GR.3 cars, end to end that's about the length of the circuit :scared:

Returning to GTS and I've chosen BMW and the M6 this season. I'm a bit off the pace at Tsukuba compared to friends I usually beat so I'm starting to feel I might have made a whoopsie. Any upsides to the M6 as it stands? I was under the impression previously it was a nice right in the middle car, even if a little taily on the throttle.

Returning to GTS and I've chosen BMW and the M6 this season. I'm a bit off the pace at Tsukuba compared to friends I usually beat so I'm starting to feel I might have made a whoopsie. Any upsides to the M6 as it stands? I was under the impression previously it was a nice right in the middle car, even if a little taily on the throttle.

you will find out soon enough

Just did a practice race ready for tomorrow and I’m managing to do consistent mid 53’s on the softs. I don’t mind the circuit but I began to lose concentration after 20 laps or so. I much prefer longer circuits as the short circuits can get quite monotonous after a while.

I had the same problem, once I hit 20 the super big mental errors led to big track errors. I am not sure I am going to try this one.

you will find out soon enough

Car turned out to be as vanilla as can be. Are you implying you've got something to share or?

Anyway, had a pretty decent and incident free race. In terms of strategy I would highly recommend getting on the softs when you're in some clear air. I went M/M/H and lost a lot of ground mid race staying on the M. So something like M/short stint M/S/H would be ideal.

You got a penalty HOW?!?!?

For entering a silly race.
images (50).jpeg

I'm going to type this once:
MAKE SURE YOU USE BOTH RACING HARD AND RACING MEDIUM TI(Y)RES!!!!

I did 1RH/1RM/13RS/12RS/10RS.
a few players went off, but many were courteous seeing my pace/strategy(I guess).
IMG_20200912_180003.jpg

IMG_20200912_175923.jpg

The players in 9th & 10th, finished 1st & 2nd. 9th started P2. They got that 1:00.000 surprise after all that work.
Still, for me to do what I did and be on the tail of P10(P2 before the penalty) for the last 5-6 laps, after me spinning and getting a separate penalty, was an okay race.

The race, in a nutshell, is bogus. Treated it as a Lobby. At least I got bumped up from B/B to B/S.

EDC3DA55-70F4-4D69-B2D3-A88743CDB92C.jpeg

Was expecting a big SR damage race but turned out completely clean :lol:

190AC55C-C1C8-42FC-ABB1-52E0EB9853C9.jpeg

Qualified 5th, started on Softs. Got past NSX in 4th middle of first lap as they started on Mediums and a Lambo binned it before the final straight. Stayed in 3rd in clean air for majority of the race. Did 12S/12S/1H/12M. Most of us at the front did the same. NSX stayed in front after they took their Hards on the last lap.

21786B59-C221-4986-B06A-DC575DB3BA81.jpeg

Last edited:
Just made it into top split. I didn't have high hopes for the RXV because tight stop-start tracks doesn't really suit it. Qualified 2nd last, but the whole room was super close (only 1.2 secs from pole to last place).

Strategy wise, everyone bar myself and 2 people used some variant of 3 stops (1H/12M/12S/12S). Seems like people underestimated how hard it is to overtake here and how much time battling costs you. Pit loss is around 8 seconds and you have to drive that second soft stint absolutely perfect to make up the time. Get stuck in traffic or get a penalty and it's game over.

I went with 7H/17M/13S (could've stretched the softs a bit more and did less laps on the hards, but ran out of time testing and went the safe route). Good enough to go from 17th to 13th and 160 points :D There was a big gap to the car in front so even if I had perfect strat probably the results would've been the same.

Another guy with Lancer also tried 2 stop with 2H/20M/15S but couldn't save tyres as well and also spun out once so dropped back behind me.

The guy who started in last place tried 4 stops and didn't make much progress.

TL;DR only go with 3 stops if you start in front row or back row and confident you can run in clear air all race long. Otherwise 2 stops is safer. It might seem like people keep passing you early on, but trust me you'll make it up later ;)

Also if someone just comes out of pitlane, they are ghosted for quite a while. You can enter T1 a bit faster, park your car "inside" them and try to outdrag them to T2 before they unghost. Not very realistic but tis' a silly race anyway :lol:

So I ran out for Tsukuba. Spent most of my practice time on mediums, then locked in a few laps on softs once I had track rhythm. Get door 5 in the lobby with Karen and a bunch of friendly names.

Qualifying is horrible, not even within 1 sec of my practice time until i nail a lap slightly over that but good for p5 at the start. Run 12/12/12/1, S/S/M/H. We have a slight bunch up at the start as 2 drivers are swerving a bit on colds. 1 spins out and I get a bump pass from the driver behind. They are sliding a lot so 2 laps later I get inside turn 1 and hold it, they run wide and the wiggle gives me p4.

I hold that through the rest of the race while we are cycling pit stops. 4 to go and I have a 7.2 second lead on p5, I need to pit for hards on the last lap, they dont need to pit. So trying to manage. They get it down to 6.8 after I miss the apex at turn 1 and the final hairpin. I come out of the pits ON their bumper, inside a ghosted car 2 laps down, with p6 kissing the paint on my rear. Manage to drive defensively and lock the apexes despite the ghost appearing and disappearing with me the whole final lap.

Got the CRB. More points and a higher finish than I expected, and a good clean race. I know the other driver bumped me for the past just due to the accordion stuff, and they were clean when I got the run on them so congrats to Scooter for out-driving me at the end there.

All in all a good run, much better than I expected. P10 and down were all lapped. Qualifying is the key to this one. And smoothness. The other jag drivers are all guys normally way faster than me, but getting stuck down in p10 or lower at the start just killed them.

Good luck to you all, no falling asleep due to the hypnosis there.:cheers::gtpflag:👍:sly:

After a week of madness at Monza and Tokyo where my DR has skyrocketed at the expense of my SR I entered a DR B / SR B Grouping today.

The BMW M6 is definitely a tank of a car more suited to tracks like Monza or Bathurst, but found with enough careful application of the throttle out of corners was solid enough across the lap to be in with a chance.

Getting a decent gap to be able to set a quick lap was all but impossible with nearly half the field having crashes or spins at the hairpins, however managed to park the car in 4th for the race start.

Got away cleanly from the start (unlike one of the Honda's several places back) and even managed to drive under the Porsche ahead of me at the end of Lap 1 as he seemed to be struggling for grip. Ran solidly in 3rd until I missed my braking point for the final turn on Lap 11 and went wide into the gravel dropping me down to 7th.

Pitted on Lap 12 to ditch the Mediums and bolt on the Hards, which I ran until the end of Lap 23, where I pitted from 6th to throw on a set of Softs with the intent of chasing down the leaders.

Copped a 2 second penalty about 2 laps after my stop whilst trying to go under a McLaren into Turn 1 who moved across to block me right as I started to pull along side.

Re-passed the McLaren the next lap when he ran wide at Turn 1 and then dived under the Mustang a few laps later, also at Turn 1.

Crossed the line in P4 only for the VW driver in P2 to cop a 1 minute penalty, promoting me to the podium.

Video of the chaos that a SR B Lobby can be with drivers with DR A through to E in the group. One guy enters the first camera angle backwards only 4 seconds into the race.

Tsukuba is a terrible track for racing. I spent the last three laps behind a Corvette and a DBR9. The Corvette looked like it was driving on ice, but it was impossible for either of us to pass without barging it off the road. As I type @xxPinkyKissxx has just said Well done! in the chat for me finishing 12th, feels a bit hollow :lol:

I did an 05XR8 and qualified on hards so I'd start at the back. I was so far back I then qualified on mediums, and was still at the back. Had the best luck ever with three different people peeling off into the pits right as I caught them. Probably could have made top 10 if some of my laps had been a bit tidier but that was about the limit of what I could manage in the GT-R. Met Pinky and @Zorz who both did much better than me.

#$][;%%#:;[][^|] sideways! Less than one, definitely done! Pushed of in hairpin as p7 L33, recover to p17, pushed of t2 l35 by p1. My first rage quit in 800+ races.

What the... Happened to find your way past? How am I supposed to let P1 in his effing beetle by in t2???!!!!! Molo, just ram me off so he can pass.

If I ever see him again I will do my best to get reset!!

Calmer now. I was probably ghosted to him. He didn't know the game glitches and I was forced off.

Last edited:
Manufacturer Series Round 3
A very enjoyable race up until near the end. Qualified in P6 with a 52.931. Was in with @stpatty and @xxPinkyKissxx, having some very close racing with Pinky almost the entire way until a Subaru punted me at the third hairpin on lap 34 and spun me out. That wasn't me that got a penalty Pinky - it was him.

Ended up P7 in the end, right behind the Subaru. He apologised after the race, but I guess not sorry enough to give the position back considering I was right there... :irked:

Not sure whether I want to go again. That was a lot more fun than I was expecting, but all it takes is one idiot to ruin it.

Last edited:
Manufacturer Series Round 3
A very enjoyable race up until the end. Qualified in P6 with a 52.931. Was in with @stpatty and @xxPinkyKissxx, having some very close racing with Pinky almost the entire way until a Subaru punted me at the third hairpin on lap 34 and spun me out. That wasn't me that got a penalty Pinky - it was him.

Ended up P7 in the end, right behind the Subaru. He apologised after the race, but I guess not sorry enough to give the position back considering I was right there... :irked:

Not sure whether I want to go again. That was a lot more fun than I was expecting, but all it takes is one idiot to ruin it.

I had a great time for 33 laps...

Just had my first race. Started 2nd and finished there but could have have won if I hadn’t stupidly decided to do 20 laps on the mediums instead of going with my original 3 stop strategy. That first FIA win still eludes me.

34 points and surprisingly a very clean race considering I was in SR B. I had a couple of very good battles and I quite enjoyed the race until the last few laps where my tyres fell apart. Still, at least I made no major driving errors and I’m back up to SR S/99 now and closing in on DR B. I’m quite pleased with my choice of going McLaren now and looking forward to Alsace next week.

40DA3A66-1E6B-4A4A-9E4A-37E247FD0646.jpeg

Great to see @stpatty and @Zorz in my race. Surprised myself with a decent 4th place in qualifying!

883F146B-65F3-4820-B9C5-59116D316C2E.jpeg

Lost a place on the first lap, getting caught out by the car in 3rd being surprisingly on Hards. Had to brake hard to avoid hitting him when he braked early and the car behind went past me. Was a close fight with @Zorz most the race. (Zorz - assumed that was you behind me with the penalty when I glanced in the mirror as didn’t know you’d got punted off! That sucks!)
Was a good fun race! Tiring though!

FE2D5AD6-42E9-41B1-A245-60C122190ABA.jpeg

@stpatty sorry, said well done as I knew you started at the back so 12th isn’t a bad effort :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back