FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran Slot 1 last night and had @GTWolverine , @Winnie847 , and @Granadier in a lobby which was full of other familiar names. Granadier and I kindly sacrificed our starting position so that others could have a position closer to the front for the start of the race. :D Pole was siting at 52.4xx and I was in p17 with a 52.8xx.

With a grid that tight, I had a notion it would be a hot race. So, rather that waste my softs in squabbles, I flipped the strategy for the Yeetle. I started on Hards for 1 lap, then I went to the Mediums on 13, and finished on the softs. I had a lovely 10 lap or so run of geauxgreddy time, all by myself. But, that would be ended abruptly. When all was said and done, I finished p12. Even after a lovely GT Sport Exclusive strange ghost incident and after being pitted by one grown child. 🤬 I decided not to run to again (honestly just not an enjoyable track with group 3 cars) and instead turned my attention to documenting the the madness.

Very nice summary of the antics in that race...I was actually stuck behind "that guy" for a few laps as he was practically drifting the exits, and didn't dare touch him because...well...you saw. And of course you saw what happened when I tried to go around him. That bunched us up and allowed the F1-liveried Merc to close in before he made that "opportunistic" move at the penultimate corner. All of that, combined with me forgetting to cancel refueling on my first stop, kept me from getting the Top 5 I needed to make this a 1-and-done event.

Ran Slot 1 last night and had @GTWolverine , @Winnie847 , and @Granadier in a lobby which was full of other familiar names. Granadier and I kindly sacrificed our starting position so that others could have a position closer to the front for the start of the race. :D Pole was siting at 52.4xx and I was in p17 with a 52.8xx.

With a grid that tight, I had a notion it would be a hot race. So, rather that waste my softs in squabbles, I flipped the strategy for the Yeetle. I started on Hards for 1 lap, then I went to the Mediums on 13, and finished on the softs. I had a lovely 10 lap or so run of geauxgreddy time, all by myself. But, that would be ended abruptly. When all was said and done, I finished p12. Even after a lovely GT Sport Exclusive strange ghost incident and after being pitted by one grown child. 🤬 I decided not to run to again (honestly just not an enjoyable track with group 3 cars) and instead turned my attention to documenting the the madness.

Haha, good race and video! Every race i’ve been in with that Mopar guy he is getting called out for his “driving.” Then he always blames everyone else, never realizing he’s the only constant. Too funny.

otgboba.jpg

I qualified in the middle of the pack and elected to start on Hards to get them out of the way. 12 laps later, I entered the pits from 12th for Mediums, only to fall to 18th behind a pack. However, the three cars ahead of me immediately get into trouble at the 2nd hairpin by running into each other, sending the Aston and Supra off and leaving the Mazda ahead of me with a +1 second penalty, gifting me 14th. The Supra takes a +4 seconds penalty for colliding with the Aston that spun out into 19th.

kmgkA67.jpg

5 laps and 2 positions up later, a Mercedes and Corvette come to blows at the 3rd hairpin, effectively giving me 10th.
a4hzyJE.jpg

Here's the video of both incidents for you to judge:

I box on lap 24, but accidentally take another set of Mediums instead of Softs. I was briefly up into 9th, but the Mercedes from before capitalised on my weaker tyres and I dropped back to 10th, with 11th a long way behind. A missed braking point on lap 33 sent me off at the first hairpin and ended any chance of retaking 9th, and I spent the rest of the race playing it safe to secure 10th and finish where I started.

F7CAaYv.jpg
wwXcTdq.jpg

My blunder in the pits probably costed me a shot at 9th, but I did not feel like gambling on another slot and called it a day. One and done.

Last edited:
upload_2020-9-14_16-48-2.png

Yes, yes ahem hmmm yes that's exactly what I was doing. Also because I'm fully committed to benefitting my other racers I made sure to stay way, way, way back so that were wasn't a chance of me negatively impacting their race.

...oh, and once again: 3 yellow bars during the whole event. Despite verifying nearly 200Mbps on the Ethernet connection to the internet and about 10ms ping, with the router giving the PS4 priority— and the rest of the house asleep and offline. Should be pegged at five green bars, yet every FIA event lately I’m the only one who has yellow network bars on the grid. It’s driving me mad; and that it coincides with my terrible slump...
FWIW: 4 green bars, maybe 5 sometimes, today in Daily Races, per usual. It's something to do with the PD servers during FIA races, and my particular connection... maddening, because it's inexplicable. Especially if no one else in Michigan sees the issue.

Last edited:
To all let it be known there was a loud pop today and it was me pulling my head out of my rear end . . .

I learned a valuable personal lesson today which resulted in the subtraction of 4 whole seconds from my qualification time for Round 4 . . . look at the tire requirements! I saw RH and RM as a race MINIMUM requirement but RS is an option AND nothing is stopping you from qualifying on RS. I cut my time from 2:28.721 (RH) to 2:24.506 (RS) by switching tire compounds (and my new qualifying round was accepted by the AI marshalls (or whatever you call them). I now wonder how many times I have screwed my self by not paying attention.

I think there won't be many opportunities to gain SR if you happen to take 1 or 2 orange arrows, be careful. So for 12 laps I think 2 on RH, 5 on RM, and 5 on RS might be my strategy. I guess tire wear will possibly change that so I guess I will see.

Good luck to all tomorrow and as usual - enjoying the racing.

Last edited:
To all let it be known there was a loud pop today and it was me pulling my head out of my rear end . . .

I learned a valuable personal lesson today which resulted in the subtraction of 4 whole seconds from my qualification time for Round 4 . . . look at the tire requirements! I saw RH and RM as a race MINIMUM requirement but RS is an option AND nothing is stopping you from qualifying on RS. I cut my time from 2:28.721 (RH) to 2:24.506 (RS) by switching tire compounds (and my new qualifying round was accepted by the AI marshalls (or whatever you call them). I now wonder how many times I have screwed my self by not paying attention.

I think there won't be many opportunities to gain SR if you happen to take 1 or 2 orange arrows, be careful. So for 12 laps I think 2 on RH, 5 on RM, and 5 on RS might be my strategy. I guess tire wear will possibly change that so I guess I will see.

Good luck to all tomorrow and as usual - enjoying the racing.
It catches us all out. I did a few laps before the Tsukuba round and was worried I was massively off the pace I needed. Then realized I was only on Mediums instead of softs. Luckily I had a few minutes left to practice a couple of soft laps. It definitely pays to check the notes.

A bit late with this, school has been a bit hectic.

Round 3 Nations, Time Slot 1
Door #5 and was joined by @CJam and some other regulars in this lobby. This room was definitely around my level at 202 points (I felt strong in the Gr. 2 here, normally I would think this kind of room would be too high). I had provisional pole and ended up qualifying 4th, only 0.04s off of 1st, and the entire field was around 1 second of each other.

I completely ruined my race though. Coming into T1, I thought I was braking on-time, but it turns out I braked too late, allowing P5 to pull alongside me. In my attempt to defend into T3, I braked too late again, causing me to go into the run-off area. With everyone behind, I ended up re-joining 10th. I was faster than the people ahead, but there was a group of 4 and I was struggling to figure out how to pass.

Things then got worse because coming out of Rauch around Lap 4, I sbinalla-ed. I have absolutely no idea why - viewing the replay, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. So I fell down into 18th. I managed to claw my way back into 12th but was kicking myself because a podium definitely was possible.

Round 3 Nations, Time Slot 2

Door #15 and was joined by @csmirnoff , @GTWolverine , and a couple of other regulars in this lobby. This race was a higher split, or at least the average DR of this lobby was much higher than the previous one. So, I wasn't thinking I would get phenomenal results. I ended up qualifying around 0.1s faster than Time Slot 1, but this was only good enough for 11th in this lobby. So, I threw on Racing Hards for a one-stop.

The race immediately started off poorly. My start position was right on the apex of the final turn, and despite going gentle on the throttle, I still got a bit of wheelspin. Luckily, I didn't slam into the wall like a person ahead did, but I was overtaken into T1, and then immediately gained the position back as the person ahead got wheelspin and spun. I thought I braked in time, but I still overshot T3 and lost a position. My excuse is cold tires and full fuel. But, I keep it clean for the rest of the lap. I wanted to work with@GTWolverine ahead of me, but they got a penalty for cutting the curbs a bit too much. Coming into T3 on Lap 2, I take back 10th as @GTWolverine serves their penalty, and despite being under attack at T3, the person who went up my inside got a poor exit. So I settle into 10th.

I take 9th as the person ahead serves a penalty on Lap 3, but they take it back the next lap at T3, and a little wheelspin from me coming out of T4 meant I lost another spot. I then settle into 11th as the group ahead gets very feisty with each other, so it was just a matter of keeping with the pack and staying calm. After all, I'm on the Hard tires and some of the people in front aren't.

I gain one position on the not-straight after T1 as someone gets murdered on Lap 6, and I take another as someone spins out coming out of T3. I stay with the pack still and they are fighting hardcore. I gain a place coming out of T1 as someone gets pushed wide, and I gain another at T3 as someone brakes too late. Looking back reveals a field that's three-wide with penalties flashing everywhere. I was now in clean air in P6 on Lap 7. Not bad.

I tailed an RC-F until the beginning of Lap 9 when they messed up the final corner, and due to pitstops, I found myself in 4th. I should've pitted at the end of Lap 9, but I was going to a 10-lap stint on the Hards. This bit me as my nearly 2-second gap to @GTWolverine turned into us racing neck-and-neck into T3 on Lap 11, with them gaining the place. I then get shoved wide into T4 by someone that I then remain stuck behind for almost the entirety of the rest of the race. Due to the downforce and dirty air of Gr. 2 cars, I found overtaking especially difficult around here. Due to incidents, when I get past them on Lap 16, I'm up to 6th place. They decide to shove me wide again, but in a rare instance of the penalty system working, they get a 2s penalty. I almost get overtaken into T4, but I stay along-side and defend the position into T5.

Thus, I finished P6 for 174 points. I could've had P4 if I wasn't held up, but this was still a solid result that I was satisfied with since I was punching above my weight with the people in this lobby.

Manufacturers Round 3
Ended up skipping these due to school.

Looking forward to this week's races though! i'm still debating the 2 or 3 stop for Nations tomorrow. At least it's in the Viper, my Manufacturer's car.

A bit late with this, school has been a bit hectic.

Round 3 Nations, Time Slot 1
Door #5 and was joined by @CJam and some other regulars in this lobby. This room was definitely around my level at 202 points (I felt strong in the Gr. 2 here, normally I would think this kind of room would be too high). I had provisional pole and ended up qualifying 4th, only 0.04s off of 1st, and the entire field was around 1 second of each other.

I completely ruined my race though. Coming into T1, I thought I was braking on-time, but it turns out I braked too late, allowing P5 to pull alongside me. In my attempt to defend into T3, I braked too late again, causing me to go into the run-off area. With everyone behind, I ended up re-joining 10th. I was faster than the people ahead, but there was a group of 4 and I was struggling to figure out how to pass.

Things then got worse because coming out of Rauch around Lap 4, I sbinalla-ed. I have absolutely no idea why - viewing the replay, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. So I fell down into 18th. I managed to claw my way back into 12th but was kicking myself because a podium definitely was possible.

Round 3 Nations, Time Slot 2

Door #15 and was joined by @csmirnoff , @GTWolverine , and a couple of other regulars in this lobby. This race was a higher split, or at least the average DR of this lobby was much higher than the previous one. So, I wasn't thinking I would get phenomenal results. I ended up qualifying around 0.1s faster than Time Slot 1, but this was only good enough for 11th in this lobby. So, I threw on Racing Hards for a one-stop.

The race immediately started off poorly. My start position was right on the apex of the final turn, and despite going gentle on the throttle, I still got a bit of wheelspin. Luckily, I didn't slam into the wall like a person ahead did, but I was overtaken into T1, and then immediately gained the position back as the person ahead got wheelspin and spun. I thought I braked in time, but I still overshot T3 and lost a position. My excuse is cold tires and full fuel. But, I keep it clean for the rest of the lap. I wanted to work with@GTWolverine ahead of me, but they got a penalty for cutting the curbs a bit too much. Coming into T3 on Lap 2, I take back 10th as @GTWolverine serves their penalty, and despite being under attack at T3, the person who went up my inside got a poor exit. So I settle into 10th.

I take 9th as the person ahead serves a penalty on Lap 3, but they take it back the next lap at T3, and a little wheelspin from me coming out of T4 meant I lost another spot. I then settle into 11th as the group ahead gets very feisty with each other, so it was just a matter of keeping with the pack and staying calm. After all, I'm on the Hard tires and some of the people in front aren't.

I gain one position on the not-straight after T1 as someone gets murdered on Lap 6, and I take another as someone spins out coming out of T3. I stay with the pack still and they are fighting hardcore. I gain a place coming out of T1 as someone gets pushed wide, and I gain another at T3 as someone brakes too late. Looking back reveals a field that's three-wide with penalties flashing everywhere. I was now in clean air in P6 on Lap 7. Not bad.

I tailed an RC-F until the beginning of Lap 9 when they messed up the final corner, and due to pitstops, I found myself in 4th. I should've pitted at the end of Lap 9, but I was going to a 10-lap stint on the Hards. This bit me as my nearly 2-second gap to @GTWolverine turned into us racing neck-and-neck into T3 on Lap 11, with them gaining the place. I then get shoved wide into T4 by someone that I then remain stuck behind for almost the entirety of the rest of the race. Due to the downforce and dirty air of Gr. 2 cars, I found overtaking especially difficult around here. Due to incidents, when I get past them on Lap 16, I'm up to 6th place. They decide to shove me wide again, but in a rare instance of the penalty system working, they get a 2s penalty. I almost get overtaken into T4, but I stay along-side and defend the position into T5.

Thus, I finished P6 for 174 points. I could've had P4 if I wasn't held up, but this was still a solid result that I was satisfied with since I was punching above my weight with the people in this lobby.

Manufacturers Round 3
Ended up skipping these due to school.

Looking forward to this week's races though! i'm still debating the 2 or 3 stop for Nations tomorrow. At least it's in the Viper, my Manufacturer's car.

Again, great race! I was even more all over the place than I thought. I'm surprise I didn't throw it away at one point.

FIA Related, 11 circuits (Technically 12) that have never ever been used in the FIA Championships from Test Season 1 in 2017 through to the end of this current season :embarrassed:!

Love your work 👍 I've done every FIA race from mid 2019 onwards and have always wondered what tracks I've missed early on in the game's life. I'm surprised we've done both BB Raceway and St Croix A II. What a race that would've been :lol: Surprised that we haven't been to Kyoto Y+M II, because that's been used in a couple daily races already. BTW it always strikes me as odd that there's no official Miyabi Reverse when we can drive it in Y+M combination.

Including time of day and rain as different, I believe we never raced at N24 at night and Tokyo Central in the wet as well.

Willow Horse Thief, I wonder if PD can restrict the room to just 10 drivers to make it less carnage-y. That would be an even bigger meme than the SSRX one :lol:

Sarthe No Chicane is coming this Nations season (race 9) so you can cross that off the list soon ;)

Next video idea: which N car class have never been used in FIA? :P I know N300/500 are the most common, and we've had N100/200/800 recently as well.

Skipping Nations. My Mazda contract doesn't allow me to drive Dodge cars. :sly:
I probably should, but I won't. I am not confident at Spa, I am not great in Gr3 cars and am currently overrated on DR. Not a good mix.

But going to go ahead anyway, see if I can end my record of pathetic at that track somehow. :irked:

More than likely I'll end up that outclassed guy tooling around at the back. But I guess I could use the practice :crazy:

I probably should, but I won't. I am not confident at Spa, I am not great in Gr3 cars and am currently overrated on DR. Not a good mix.

But going to go ahead anyway, see if I can end my record of pathetic at that track somehow. :irked:

More than likely I'll end up that outclassed guy tooling around at the back. But I guess I could use the practice :crazy:
I think you'll be fine. One, it's a fast car. Prototypes and lets say MX-5 TC, are nearly similar. Those cars are on the edge. The prototypes have to be driven with care. The MX-5 can be overdriven.

The GT3 is balanced with enough speed and downforce. Plus, it's not like it's an R8 Cup. I think players that use MR religiously, will have to dial back what to expect from the Viper.
Players used to Mustang and Corvettes, might have an edge.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine. One in a fast car. Prototypes and lets say MX-5 TC, are nearly similar. Those cars are on the edge. The prototypes have to be driven with care. The MX-5 can be overdriven.

The GT3 is balanced with enough speed and downforce. Plus, it's not like it's an R8 Cup. I think players that use MR religiously, will have to dial back what to expect from the Viper.
Players used to Mustang and Corvettes, might have an edge.

I'm looking forward to the Viper Cup. The car has a nice balance to it similar to the Lancer I drive last season and the M6 I'm driving for the Man. Champ. Plus it's Spa with a Grid Start, the chances of so many killing their race at Turn 1 will be worth the price of admission.

Eh, nothing to write home about really. Pretty solid Q lap for me
So starting p14, same as my door number. Survive the lap 1 disasters while starting on M, and as it pans out I am still p14 at the end of lap 1 with all the ups and downs. Then i just maneuver my way up, trying to baby tires and not be aggressive, but taking an opportunity if it is easily there. Then i get a track limit penalty at Blanchimont due to the slipstream. And drop back a bit. Then cock up my braking into les coombes and get punted through the chicane, but no penalty, just lose a spot back to dirty tires. Going in to pit end of lap 6 I let a guy on fresh softs through, still only p13, which kills me with the draft through blanchimont again, penalty, and slide into the bus stop. Someone takes the chance to pass. . . right as I try to go back into pits. So I end up broadsiding them as I gas it. And get another 3 sec.:dunce::dunce:

From there it is damage control. I fight back to p15, with a chance to run down p14 but I mess that up sliding a few turns more than I should, and topit off with another 0.5 exiting radillon on the final lap. P15, still sadly my second best points haul. Had the speed to maybe fight for p12ish, but nothing higher so while not a great drive it wasn't that bad in the scheme of how I have driven so far.

2 sketchy drivers in there doing their usual push and bump, but nothing too crazy. @ShiftingGears was there but DNF for some reason.

Good Luck all, and early passing :cheers:

Eh, nothing to write home about really. Pretty solid Q lap for me
So starting p14, same as my door number. Survive the lap 1 disasters while starting on M, and as it pans out I am still p14 at the end of lap 1 with all the ups and downs. Then i just maneuver my way up, trying to baby tires and not be aggressive, but taking an opportunity if it is easily there. Then i get a track limit penalty at Blanchimont due to the slipstream. And drop back a bit. Then cock up my braking into les coombes and get punted through the chicane, but no penalty, just lose a spot back to dirty tires. Going in to pit end of lap 6 I let a guy on fresh softs through, still only p13, which kills me with the draft through blanchimont again, penalty, and slide into the bus stop. Someone takes the chance to pass. . . right as I try to go back into pits. So I end up broadsiding them as I gas it. And get another 3 sec.:dunce::dunce:

From there it is damage control. I fight back to p15, with a chance to run down p14 but I mess that up sliding a few turns more than I should, and topit off with another 0.5 exiting radillon on the final lap. P15, still sadly my second best points haul. Had the speed to maybe fight for p12ish, but nothing higher so while not a great drive it wasn't that bad in the scheme of how I have driven so far.

2 sketchy drivers in there doing their usual push and bump, but nothing too crazy. @ShiftingGears was there but DNF for some reason.

Good Luck all, and early passing :cheers:

Unfortunately got disconnected

Just finished the nations cup race. Started with 5th and finished at the top lol

I was thinking the top 4 guys must use soft tyres to try to pull away, but fighting with them will wear my tyres quickly and therefore i started with the medium tyres first to wait and see. As i expected, those guys fought with each other for 5 laps and i saw the gap between 1st and i was only 4s, so i decided to pit at lap 6 and changed to hard tyres. Well, the gamble paid off and i became the 1st at the last lap. Luckily my hard tyres still in good condition and able to keep that 1s gap back to the finish line.

If you are starting in the middle then go for medium tyres will be a bit better in my opinion. It gives you time to decide which strategy can get you to the top.

Not bad for 240pts so i’m gonna play Fall Guys now lol

FAFEE54A-2E88-4013-8134-D350891F58BC.jpeg
3D12134B-496E-4DA5-8B0C-13FCA1E6633F.jpeg

Well that went better than expected.

Qualified poorly in a tough group where I was seeded #2.

Started the race from down in P14 on a lap with no draft which moved me up from what would have been P18 on a lap where I had draft help (go figure how I was faster without the draft).

Botched the start as the car in P12 jumped which distracted me as the lights went out. Avoided plowing straight into the guy in front who after jumping the start then stopped dead before going again. Managed to not get caught up in the T1 action which happened right next to me.

A three car incident at Les Combes, saw me split 2 cars and as I ran down to Bruxelles I had moved up to 7th.

Had a great battle with over the first 5 laps and ran as high as 4th before pitting to swap the Softs off for a set of Mediums at the end of Lap 5.

Car had great pace on the mediums and I was able to pull off a pass almost reminiscent to the one Mika Hakkinen did on Michael Schumacher and Ricardo Zonta into Les Combes halfway through the stint.

Stopping again at the end of Lap 10 to bolt the Hards on, I came out in 9th place, and moved up to 8th as the final lap started. I found I had superior grip available to me to the 2 I was chasing and closed in the 2 second gap to set myself up for a pass out of the Bus Stop to the flag to finish 7th for the race.

The pass for those interested starts at the 18 minute mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back