FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday the 1st slot of nation was just a mess went from like P20 back to P6. Like you can't actually race because of people going four wide after just 5 minutes in the race then people not leaving enough room on the outside or people just underestimating the turning radius of a racecar. The 2nd slot was fun tho.

Not my best combo, but I gave it 3 solid tries last night. Going in, by best practice lap was a 56.1. Q in the first 2 races put me in the back (17th and 19th). Tried 5m/5s/5s in the Aston to finish 11th for 84 points. Tried the lexus next. Noticed in the first race that most were doing 3 stops to spend more time on softs, so did 4s/4s/3m/4s . Got a pretty good start, but traffic in T1 backed up a bit faster than I expected and I bumped the guy in front of me. Didn't move him much, but may have contributed to T1 havoc. Got on the gas coming out, and was imediately sideways. I feel like I may have been hit since it happened so fast, but who knows. Maybe I can see in the video above....(Edit: checked out the @KosmoKazi video, and I was.) anyway, lousy race, dead last for much of it, think I finished 16th for 42 points. Back to the Aston for the last race. Definitely picked up the pace a bit in practice and got into the 55's for the first time. Got out of the pits in 2nd for Q, and warmed my tires nice and easy. Wanted to get a clean lap in the bank and see if I could start in the top half of the split A/B room. Put down a 55.3, best lap yet, and it held for a p5 spot. I ran 4s/3m/4s/4s...or that was the plan. Had a good race. Later pit stops were out of sync with many, so I'd drop to about 10th, after pitting, then up around p5 when the next round came. Thought I might get a top 5 since it seemed I could race with these guys, then I stopped for my last stop and killed my race. I double clicked the X button when getting my tires, and I got Softs, and no fuel with 1.8 laps in the tank. Is there any way to get fuel once you hit no fuel?? Anyway, I made things worse trying to mess with fuel settings and went off track on my out lap, said THWI and pulled in for a splash after coming around. Lost about 20 seconds and finished 11th for 89 points. At least it bettered my points total. Live and learn.

Just an aside. I know I tend to over drive, which can slow me down. I think the tracks that I do best on are tracks that forgive this habit, or reward steering with the back end (which I love). This isn't one of them, which was shown to me when I was very carefull not to go into any corner too hot, and tiptoed to my best lap of the week in qualifying. See you next season!

Last edited:
2020 GT Sport FIA Championships

Not a great season at all. The Porsche seemed on the back foot all season (wasn't even in the top 10, unusual I think), with the particular combinations of tracks and my own strengths and weaknesses. But I stuck to my intention to only run 'one-and-dones' and live with the results each race, most weeks. I also didn't run on an alt account in parallel this season, except for a few just for fun.

Didn't accomplish many of my goals at all, and was disappointed with most of the season, overall. Really hoping that the next one favors my strengths much more, and that I give myself a chance of improving by FIA standings and DR over the course of it.

I will say that the racing was generally cleaner this season, for what it's worth... I only had to re-run two races because of foul play on others' part, but as I've noted before, it does mean sacrificing a bit of DR as you can't even attack the car in front sometimes, without fear of the orange SR down (and worse: a time penalty that ruins your race) for nominal contact on the bumpers... it shouldn't be that way, that you are penalized if there was no advantage gained for incidental contact. This dynamic was on full display at the Nurburgring GP race in the final round.

Highlights of the short season, though:
  • The wicked fun RBJr race at DTS... give me a whole season of that car and all the tracks, please!
  • The Viper spec GT3 race at Spa... really fun race
  • Strong, clean Gr4 race at Suzuka, the longer format and multipliers made for really realistic GT racing (ditto the Gr3 race at Barcelona, really)
  • I always like the spec Miata races as well, and Kyoto is a fun place to race

upload_2020-11-1_12-15-4.pngupload_2020-11-1_12-16-4.png

Season by the numbers:
  • Events competed in: 15 out of 20 (7 Nations, 8 Mfrs)
  • Races competed in: 18 (9 Nations, 9 Manufacturers) (2, 1 re-runs)
  • Wins: NONE! (Mfrs) (NO pole positions either)
  • 3 top 5’s
Nations Points: 462
  • 204th in NA
  • 166th in US
  • 6th in Michigan
Mfrs Points: 1040
  • 230th in NA
  • 21st for Porsche
  • 1st Porsche Driver in Michigan
(both improvements in rankings compared to summer season and though smaller number of participants, ... but I did beat some people that were ahead of me in the last season)

Podiums: 0
  • Average Starting position: 14th
  • Average Finishing position: 12th
  • Average finishing position: -1.6 from starting position
DR / FIA Points:
  • DR Rank in races: 14th
  • Raced finished above DR: about 30%
  • Started Season at 36k DR
  • Ended Season at 32k DR
  • Average DR during season: 33k
  • Avg FIA pts in Gr3 (all events): 69
  • Avg FIA pts in Gr4: 109
  • Avg FIA pts in other: 90
  • Best FIA points: 128 (Nations: RBJr at DTS, 5th) 141 (Manufacturers: Gr4 at Tokyo East, 4th)
  • Average FIA points per round (all): 86
  • Average FIA pts per round (top 5): 98 (92 Nations, 103 Mfrs)
Good luck to everyone in the next season, really hope to share the grid with more of the great people here on GTP.

8583949963094950936_0.jpg

Last edited:

Not a great season at all. The Porsche seemed on the back foot all season (wasn't even in the top 10, unusual I think), with the particular combinations of tracks and my own strengths and weaknesses. But I stuck to my intention to only run 'one-and-dones' and live with the results each race, most weeks. I also didn't run on an alt account in parallel this season, except for a few just for fun.

Didn't accomplish many of my goals at all, and was disappointed with most of the season, overall. Really hoping that the next one favors my strengths much more, and that I give myself a chance of improving by FIA standings and DR over the course of it.

I will say that the racing was generally cleaner this season, for what it's worth... I only had to re-run two races because of foul play on others' part, but as I've noted before, it does mean sacrificing a bit of DR as you can't even attack the car in front sometimes, without fear of the orange SR down (and worse: a time penalty that ruins your race) for nominal contact on the bumpers... it shouldn't be that way, that you are penalized if there was no advantage gained for incidental contact. This dynamic was on full display at the Nurburgring GP race in the final round.

• The wicked fun RBJr race at DTS... give me a whole season of that car and all the tracks, please!
  • Strong, clean Gr4 race at Suzuka, the longer format and multipliers made for really realistic GT racing (ditto the Gr3 race at Barcelona, really)

View attachment 968852View attachment 968853

Season by the numbers:
  • 3 top 5’s
  • 204th in NA
  • 166th in US
  • 6th in Michigan
  • 230th in NA
  • 21st for Porsche
(both improvements in rankings compared to summer season and though smaller number of participants, ... but I did beat some people that were ahead of me in the last season)

DR / FIA Points:
  • Ended Season at 32k DR
  • Best FIA points: 128 (Nations: RBJr at DTS, 5th) 141 (Manufacturers: Gr4 at Tokyo East, 4th)
Good luck to everyone in the next season, really hope to share the grid with more of the great people here on GTP.

This was a statto’s dream post!

Hope you enjoyed your season

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 1.34.42 AM.png

I managed to stay in the Top 20 for Nation's after skipping last night's round. I also had the goal of getting 200 points in all of my scored races, and as you can see that didn't happen. Fortunately my only two 200+ points finishes were well over 200 points, which brought my average points scored per round up to 211.6, even though 3/5ths of my counted scores were below 200. I'm still really disappointed I couldn't get over that mark at Le Mans (Round 9) though. We definitely need more Group C races.

View attachment 968852View attachment 968853

Season by the numbers:
  • 3 top 5’s
  • 204th in NA
  • 166th in US
  • 6th in Michigan
  • 230th in NA
  • 21st for Porsche

DR / FIA Points:
  • Ended Season at 32k DR

Where do you find those rankings?

Manufacturers Finale

Managed to get on for an early slot and entered the 1720... only to be disconnected! So went again in the 2000 slot and ended up in what I think was 2nd split (judging by top split DR) with door #4, along with youtubers Eerieisss and BasicOllie. It was a good race, but it really left me kicking myself!

Qualifying was really a mess! First flying lap I got a big slide on through T1, then edged onto the grass through Dunlop so abandoned. Second run wasn't much better, only clocking a scrappy 2:07.1 on my first flyer but managed to get a cleaner run in for the second and into the 2:06s, which while not 'fast' turned out to be good enough for 6th

Starting on softs I was hopeful nobody ahead was on mediums, but gradually closing on a BMW on L1 and seeing a gap developing between him and 4th I decided he was on mediums (he was!) and went for a move into T1 on L2. That one didn't work! At the end of the sector though he put a wheel on the dirt through Dunlop and I inherited 5th with Eerieisss in the McLaren behind me inheriting 6th. A 1.5s gap to 4th needed to be closed, and just over a lap later I was in the slipstream.

Barring a penalty for a Jag, we ran line astern, everyone seemingly realising that the race wasn't here, this was just the opening gambit. With the gap from 1st to 4th at under 2s the leading Audi pitted on L6. My tyres were still in good condition and I was able to take 2nd from a struggling Jag around the outside of the hairpin.

Now the kicking myself part.

I had decided before the race to do a 7s/1h/10m. But running 2nd and taking time out of the leader I was unsure what to do, a glance at the minimap showed I was likely to come out into a big gap so... Do I stay out while my tyres are better? Do I put softs on and run? Or do I do my pre-planned strategy? In the end, I decided to pit if the leader didn't and do my original strategy rather than risk a potentially bad decision on the fly when I'd got myself into such a good position. So into the pits after L7, a lap on hards, mediums fitted L9, all left a 12s gap to the leader with them still needing to pit twice

Basically, I just didn't drive well enough on the mediums. I knew I could do ten laps at mid 2:08s from practice but only hit that time once, I think on L12. The whole stint was a good 4-5s slower than I was expecting, and I finished 3.2s behind the winner in 3rd. In hindsight, the better move would have been to do an 8-9 lap stint on softs. I would have had track position at the front and a tyre eating Jag protecting me (my lap on hards held him up enough for Eerieisss to overcut), but I can't blame my lack of pace on the mediums on the decision to run them. I was just slightly off and didn't execute it properly.

It was however a great race, and four of us had a genuine chance of winning it. A podium finish was a nice way to end the season though, and here's a summary

View attachment 968243

All races were one and done, so a decent effort I think!:gtpflag:

How's Ferrari ? Is it a handful to drive or competitive ?

Yeah, isn't there someone here that always streamed their FIA races with Ferrari? The brand has been quiet this season.

I had a look at the final global standings, and Ferrari actually had a good season.

Top 10 manufacturers:

1st - Volkswagen 523 points
2nd - Chevrolet 521.5 points
3rd - Dodge 496 points
4th - Ferrari and Mercedes 477 points
6th - Aston Martin 471.5 points
7th - McLaren 465 points
8th - Audi 449 points
9th - Lexus 432 points
10th - Porsche 431 points

Joint losers: Alfa Romeo and Renault Sport at 196.5 points. Next worst is Mitsubishi at 223 points, just to drive home how badly Alfa and Renault did.

Morning! So thats my result... Im little dissapointed beacause of last round...
Tried 3 times and got dissconected 3 times:( If I only get a chance to finish the race I would easily be in top10 in Poland and get S rank... Cest la vie:)
Only 59pts needed. Really bad luck, whole this season starded bad for me, broken pedals, internet issues etc.
So it really started for me from 5th round... 118pts 123pts 124pts 125pts, aaand 0 for 10th round

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-102526.png
    Screenshot_20201102-102526.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 18
My First Fia Nation cup win was at the Nurburgring 24h track with the WRX Gr3 way before Lightning made it popular. I though for the last round of this Exhibition I'd try to replicate that Well...We came close in one of the races last Saturday, Ending this Stage in great note.

Our Strategy was simple find a Drafting partner and save fuel, save fuel, save fuel, don't go for overtake/Send It unless they bend it. And it works like a charm We got a great Result, best of the season.

And That is it for the Exhibition Stage It was pretty fun and entertaining See you all next season.

Well, glad that exhibition season is over. Not many highs, a lot of lows. Felt more like a B ranked driver than A ranked. The penalty system was a killer for me this time around. I think I spent more time in low SR lobbies than in proper S rated lobbies. No one leaves space for other drivers or looks ahead to see how other cars are battling. There was so much frustration on my end from not being able to have clean races. I'm surprised I only had 1 blow up this season. Also, think I'm struggling with brake pressure on the G29 which put me in some sticky situations. Seems like when I hit my braking points every one else brakes later than me but if I use their brake points then I fly off track.

Although, I think my switch from Mazda to Mercedes was a good choice. I felt more comfortable in the AMG's. Just wish my points would reflect that. Maybe I'll give them another go next exhibition season. I'm surprised I stayed in the top 100 for NA Nations.

Attachments

• 60CBE835-BFB5-4A93-AA8D-FF8501DA50DF.png
    60CBE835-BFB5-4A93-AA8D-FF8501DA50DF.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1D5E55E6-4135-496E-830D-7A11A30F8203.png
    1D5E55E6-4135-496E-830D-7A11A30F8203.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I had a look at the final global standings, and Ferrari actually had a good season.

Top 10 manufacturers:

1st - Volkswagen 523 points
2nd - Chevrolet 521.5 points
3rd - Dodge 496 points
4th - Ferrari and Mercedes 477 points
6th - Aston Martin 471.5 points
7th - McLaren 465 points
8th - Audi 449 points
9th - Lexus 432 points
10th - Porsche 431 points

Joint losers: Alfa Romeo and Renault Sport at 196.5 points. Next worst is Mitsubishi at 223 points, just to drive home how badly Alfa and Renault did.

I drove for Honda this season, will most likely remains because of the AlphaTauri theme. I felt the NSX is competitive in both Gr3 and Gr4, but not many people were using it as far as I can tell. Did you guys seen many NSXs?

I drove for Honda this season, will most likely remains because of the AlphaTauri theme. I felt the NSX is competitive in both Gr3 and Gr4, but not many people were using it as far as I can tell. Did you guys seen many NSXs?

Going by my final races in each round, I believe I only saw Hondas in 2 rounds. At Fuji, I finished 6th while Hondas finished 7th and 9th
while at Tokyo, I barely fought off a NSX to take 8th with the NSX succumbing to fuel starvation down the start/finish straight.

In the global standings, Honda finished 14th with 375 points, behind Lamborghini (407), BMW (384) and Subaru (376).

How's Ferrari ? Is it a handful to drive or competitive ?
Sorry about the delay! I'm sure someone will have already updated you.

I really like both cars, the Gr.3 is a handful to get used to but competitive at most places and the Gr.4 is easy to drive, great on tyres and again competitive at most places.

If you're used to FR cars as I was, you'll get in the Ferrari (especially the Gr.3) and think you've made a mistake! But put it like this, I liked them enough to be picking Ferrari again for the next one

From the GT7 thread/forum: the dates for regional and online finals are tucked away in T&C for Extra Stage.

EMEA Online Regional Final: Saturday, 7 November 2020 (CET)
Americas Online Regional Final: Sunday, 8 November 2020 (PST)
Asia & Oceania Online Regional Final: Saturday, 14 November 2020 (JST)
Online World Final: Saturday, 5 December to Sunday, 6 December 2020 (GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back