FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

The last FITT comp I built in blocks, then tested. This time i'm building then testing, which seems to be working better for me. The way @Motor City Hami has grouped the tunes makes this easy to do. Have only had problems with the 1 tune in spec class so far. Building is only a pain when submissions are incomplete!!

Hmmm incomplete....wonder which one that is??? I just wrapped up the Spec testing. Are we supposed to give just the scores on the spreadsheet or do you think it would be beneficial to include a post that have notes and likes/dislikes as well?? And for the testers doing multiple categories, should we list them as soon as we are done, or just post them all at once? I know, a thousand questions....

Personally, I value qualitative observations just as much as quantitative ones, so I think the old "big post of driver feedback" still has a place here. And the latter is up to the tester really. It'd make linking posts easier if you separated them and posted as you went along, but then there's the competitiveness of having to wait for the bloody results that I'm sure we all love. I'd say post as you go along, just so we don't start rioting. :lol:

In the last contest most of the results came with a brief description of the testers experience of the car. I thought this was a nice touch because instead of just saying 2/10, you would get a reason such as "too much oversteer and poor gearing". Makes it easier to troubleshoot as a tuner, leads to future improvement.
This said, the testers do have a boatload of cars to run and it could hardly be held against them if they chose to just do times and scores

personally, on my side I will test the settings more in the sense of quality that gives a time, hoping all the same not be too far from the great drivers, !!! :rolleyes:
I will do this very serious trying every adjustment comments ;)

I'm with you on this one @DolHaus and @Onboy123 the amount of cars to test is very large 54 to anyone that tests all the groups. figure ten minuets to build the car than about 15 to test so that's a half hour per car. 27 hours of building and driving for all the groups. So if a tester doesn't want to give feedback that's up to them but the feedback helps us tuners a lot, we find out why it wasn't working which than allows us to improve them in the future.

Interesting fact no aero kits used on any tune for the SCCA Improved Touring class cars so that helps don't have to run off to GT auto for a car to slap a front spoiler on it.

All results generally go in one post, times, DC and any feedback the tester wishes to give, but for this i'd suggest one post per class maybe, it's Hami's call, as he's the one that'll be sorting through them. He has already requested we post in the order of the scoring sheet. As there's so little difference between most of the cars, not sure how comprehensive my feedback will be this time around, apart from stating the obvious maybe!

Check out the FITT archive for examples if you're struggling.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-submit-results-by-feb-9.296396/#post-9172967

Last edited:
Hmmm incomplete....wonder which one that is??? I just wrapped up the Spec testing. Are we supposed to give just the scores on the spreadsheet or do you think it would be beneficial to include a post that have notes and likes/dislikes as well??
I would say that it would be more helpful to post notes if you have time for it, and want to do it.
And for the testers doing multiple categories, should we list them as soon as we are done, or just post them all at once? I know, a thousand questions....
Like the others have suggested, you can do it either way, just posting it when you finish it would give people something interesting to read.

Edit: Because of how @Motor City Hami has the results post set up, I would say having the posts seperate for each class would be easier.

I plan to provide feedback as well as scoring and laptime, the size of this shootout doesn't bother me, I think most of these cars will be great fun to drive and the variance in track for each class adds to that. I won't have a problem getting them all finished in time.

As for posting each class in a separate post, I have no problem doing that either - I thought this was a good idea myself so I have no problem doing that.

What i'm doing with my post(s) is i copied @Motor City Hami tuner post into a Google doc added in a Lap time Drivers choice and impressions of tune lines below each driver and i'm just taking them in order, as Hami has already separated the drive names by car i just have to adjust the settings for new set, with the feedback I'm putting what I liked and what i found gave me problems for each car, while this does take a little time, i feel it's important, knowing what people liked about tune is just as important as what they didn't like.

Yes, having them all on one post would be a little ridiculous...the question was or meant to be, when we do post them, should they all be released at once, making everyone wait...which is cruel but fun, or post them when we get done with that particular group. I'm all ready to type up the spec and post them in a couple of hours if you guys are that impatient!:lol:

Truth be told I'm just as anxious and impatient as anyone to see the improved touring class results.:ouch:

I don't think @Onboy123 would appreciate having to wait til the deadline to see the results @Lionheart2113 so with that in mind, I'll post the results as I finish each.

But the order in which I do each class might vary, I'm thinking of starting with the Touring Car first because my tune is part of that one, though I don't know.

Right now I'm going to buy all the cars that I need and start building some.

I tested my Roadster Touring car and I did 2'12.965

My setup: (Front/Rear)
Racing Brakes (5/5)

Suspension
Ride Height (70/70)
Spring Rate (11,61/10,80)
Compression (10/4)
Extension (10/4)
Stabilizers (7/3)
Toe Angle (0.5/1.5)

Transmission (Gearbox)
Max Speed- 180 km/h
1st Gear- 4.858
2nd Gear- 3.341
3rd Gear- 2.393
4th Gear- 1.814
5th Gear- 1.450
Final Gear- 3.306

LSD
Torque- 10
Aceleration Sensibility- 10
Braking Sensibility- 15

Power- 208 HP
464 PP
795 kg
Power Limited- 100%

Downforce- 200/520

I say post them when you finish a group, helps keep the thread alive and people interested.
(I've noticed that if you don't post in a thread for a while you stop getting alerts and notifications)

@krenkme with your SCCA Improved touring class car I'm getting 214 hp with your listed parts and PL at 97.2% do I need to change the PL or take something off the car?

Test driving results. Order is the same order as the tunes post from MCH.
It was interesting to see the approach everyone took to this car, so many different tactics used and they all got close to each other.

SCCA Spec Miata Tuners

@DaBomm4 Mazda MX-5 (NA) '89

Laptime;1:29.618 Drivers Choice; 7

Impressions of the tune; The car felt great in turns and straights, was very stable under braking. I found that it had throttle induced oversteer, if I got on the gas hard and the car was not going perfectly straight I started fishtailing. Once I adapted to this it was a very fun car to drive around the track.

@Chipmonk77 Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) '89

Laptime; 1:30.210 Drivers Choice; 6

Impressions of the tune; This tune was very quick to turn in, it was stable under braking, the biggest problem I encountered was the cars desire to continue it’s rotation after the turn, it’s lack of want to turn under braking making trail breaking near impossible for me, I found it loved to power oversteer. It was hard to get a clean lap with the car, when I did it was respectably quick. I did have problems controlling the power oversteer in the slower corners, it was very nice and stable in the mid speed corners.

@bread82 Mazda MX-5 J-Limited (NA, J) '91

Laptime;1:28.729 Drivers Choice; 8

Impressions of the tune; The car was stable and forgiving, making a pleasing drive. I found that if I raced it, I was sliding out and cooking the turns, if I took it for a sunday drive , it flew around the track, stayed on line, I did find that it had both over and understeer present in the car based on how fast I was going, the faster I was going to more understeer it developed. The car also had a tendency to roll with the track which cause a few issues in corners with a sudden change in the rotation of the car.

@backnfourth Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA, J) '95

Laptime;1:29.133 Drivers Choice; 10

Impressions of the tune; For better or worse this car did what I told it to do everytime. stable under braking, stable on the gas, the rotation was spot on, trail braking was very do able with the car, the slight throttle induced oversteer made corning very easy. Skid recovery was hardly an issue as it didn’t want to slide, so forcing a slide was hard and the recovery out of it was fast. I didn’t want to stop driving it, I wanted to see how far I could push it.

@JackWilson Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA, J) '95

Laptime;1:28.871 Drivers Choice; 8

Impressions of the tune; This is a fun one to drive. Stable and fast in the corners, if I got the entry right it was glued to the track through the turn, on the flip side it did have a tendency to power oversteer and had some BLOR issues. It was not as easy to get out of a slide when they happened but the car didn’t want to slide so thet were rare. It didn’t feel as fast as some of the tunes but the time speaks for itself, it was quick around the track. .

@Bowtie-muscle Mazda MX-5 SR-Limited (NA, J) '97

Laptime;1:28.626 Drivers Choice; 7

Impressions of the tune; This tune felt a little off, but it was quick once I got used to it. I was more going for a cruise than I was racing it around. If I was nice to it, it was nice to me and very quick, if I pushed it, well lets say I spent a good bit of time in the dirt on those laps. The problems when it was pushed where oversteering when on the gas and over stable on the brakes, I couldn’t trail brake the car, but it did take to low to mid throttle in the corners, full gas at anytime other than being straight I was off and spinning.

@HTR Tuning Mazda MX-5 SR-Limited (NA, J) '97

Laptime; 1:29.565 Drivers Choice;7

Impressions of the tune; This tune was interesting, it was both forgiving, and unforgiving, it had oversteer it had understeer, it was fast, it was consistent. Once I found the cars comfort zone it was a breeze to drive, consistent 1:29.xxx laps. How ever it’s evil twin would show up if I got off line, or pushed it too much or not enough and saddle me with understeer and break lock up, or spin outs and oversteer. It may be a better drive on a wheel, but it was touchy on the controller.

@Harsk100 Mazda MX-5 SR-Limited'97

Laptime; 1:29.638 Drivers Choice; 5

Impressions of the tune; The car has a good bit of understeer forcing you take the corners slow. The car is stable when giving it gas coming out of the corners, throttle use was limited during cornering as it always induced understeer making it hard to keep the line. It was a great cruiser tune, I just felt I couldn’t push it as I always found myself in the dirt or locking the fronts and sliding out.

@Ridox2JZGTE Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (NA, J) '97

Laptime;1:30.240 Drivers Choice; 5

Impressions of the tune; This car didn’t want to turn, once it started turning it didn’t want to stop turning. It felt great to drive around, just once I started to put some speed on it, I found myself breaking early to ensure I was at a low enough speed to get the front end to turn in. The understeer at speed was very noticeable, the rotation during corning felt nice, very balanced but getting it to stop rotating required near complete let off the throttle for a moment, when I tried to counter steer the rotation away I got no response or I spun.

@DozUk Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (NA, J) '97

Laptime;1:28.918 Drivers Choice; 7

Impressions of the tune; The car was loose but stable if that makes any sense. It turned in very well, held a straight line well, rotated well. The problems I ran into was the throttle induced oversteer would keep the car turning after a corner, it was easily managed in the shorter corners, the longer slow and mid speed corners I would find the tail sliding out on me. It was prone to understeer in high speed cornering. It would turn well but then slide out as i rounded to and past the apex. It seemed to follow the contours of the track and this was a problem when the camber of the track changed right after or prior to a turn which would throw the car into a slide.

@killerjimbag Mazda MX-5 J-Limited (NA,J) ‘91

Laptime;1:29.001 Drivers Choice; 8

Impressions of the tune; This a quick little car, it’s stable under braking, and fairly stable under throttle in corners. It does have some oversteer issues with the gas, and some understeer problems with cornering. they balance each very nicely in most of the corners it’s the sharp low speed corners that they really shows up as a problem. It slides a lot in the sharper corners making it hard to maintain speed, and if you break loose it’s a fight to get it back. Turn in was good never had to fight to get it to turn in, just to keep the line in the corner.

Last edited:
I tested my Roadster Touring car and I did 2'12.965

My setup: (Front/Rear)
Racing Brakes (5/5)

Suspension
Ride Height (70/70)
Spring Rate (11,61/10,80)
Compression (10/4)
Extension (10/4)
Stabilizers (7/3)
Toe Angle (0.5/1.5)

Transmission (Gearbox)
Max Speed- 180 km/h
1st Gear- 4.858
2nd Gear- 3.341
3rd Gear- 2.393
4th Gear- 1.814
5th Gear- 1.450
Final Gear- 3.306

LSD
Torque- 10
Aceleration Sensibility- 10
Braking Sensibility- 15

Power- 208 HP
464 PP
795 kg
Power Limited- 100%

Downforce- 200/520

What is this? your not signed up to tune for the touring class and the deadline to post has passed.:irked:

Thin ice here folks. Please re-read Rule 13 ( i.e. "The Play Nice Rule")and the site AUP. Whatever the prior history here I do not care for it to be brought into this thread. Please leave this elsewhere, thanks.
This isn't to do with this in particular (at least what I said), its just something that's been going on for quite a while now, and mods are already aware of the situation 👍

good here,
I is not even start testing tuning, but I create a table in order to introduce in descending order of best to worst time in putting my remarks !!!
what do you think of this ??

12930085375_6e05eeb1cb_b.jpg

hello Ugabugaz,
thank you for the adjustment, but I get to a weight of 931 KG 925 KG and not ;)

I'll take a look over my setup again tonight. I don't know, maybe I've mis-typed something. I had to rush through my second tune to get it done with the limited time I had.

Check if the tune I posted gets to 450PP on the dot - Perhaps the only error was in the Stats I posted about the car.

I think your comment box might be a bit small. :P Well, depending on how much you're gonna put in it. But otherwise, looks good. Might be good to include a Driver's Choice column as well.

I think your comment box might be a bit small. :P Well, depending on how much you're gonna put in it. But otherwise, looks good. Might be good to include a Driver's Choice column as well.

yes it is true, instead of comment is not very big, my impressions remain quite short, style ... too much oversteer, not enough, unstable braking ... you see ??
but thank you for your note, it's always good to take 👍

@seb15000 looks good, but don't reorder the drivers based on time, @Motor City Hami asked that we order them the same as he did in the tuners post this is so when he puts them in the results sheet he can just go down the list and reduces the chances of times getting mixed up.

ah yes ok, I understand well
this way was just to quality adjustment only related to my role of tester ,
but it is a good idea 👍

I'll take a look over my setup again tonight. I don't know, maybe I've mis-typed something. I had to rush through my second tune to get it done with the limited time I had.

Check if the tune I posted gets to 450PP on the dot - Perhaps the only error was in the Stats I posted about the car.

yes...450PP

@krenkme with your SCCA Improved touring class car I'm getting 214 hp with your listed parts and PL at 97.2% do I need to change the PL or take something off the car?

Neuter it to get to 200hp. (Use power limiter) Looking at other tunes in the class my number is too high : banghead:. I'll edit to post later today once I get the right number. Sorry 'bout that :dopey:

good here,
I is not even start testing tuning, but I create a table in order to introduce in descending order of best to worst time in putting my remarks !!!
what do you think of this ??
Simple yet effective! 👍

Back