Formula 1 2013 Santander British Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 714 comments
So where is this stuff about a Ferrari test? Can't see anything on Sky site...

I can. The FIA love changing results after the race even if it does make the sport look stupid.

I suppose, Webber was close behind him to so him speeding could have made all the difference.

EDIT: He's been reprimanded, he keeps the win.

tree.png
'd

I'm sorry. JessyBondGirl please. #Michibata...

Rosberg gets no penalty. The Horse Whisperer will be furious... :lol:

I'm sorry. JessyBondGirl please. #Michibata...

Rosberg gets no penalty. The Horse Whisperer will be furious... :lol:

Just like everyone will be mad at Ferrari for getting away with a 2011 spec car running 2013 parts, even though everyone was giving them the benefit over MGP :sly:

From the footage of Massa, it looks as though his tyre goes before the kerb?

It certainly did, yes. The suggestion would obviously be that he cut it the previous lap and it was just coincidence it went there. I still don't buy it personally.

It does look like the kerb could have contributed to the tyre failures, (as pointed out by Gary Anderson), but at the same time i still feel the tyres are too dangerous, and although the edge of the kerbs look a tad too severe, i doubt the edges are as sharp as an engineering brick.

U9xe7Tk.jpg

That was an awesome last few laps!

Almost wanted to turn off the race after seeing Lewis lose his left-rear, but I pressed on to see how the rest of the top 10 would stack up and to see how much Lewis could recover. The racing there didn't disappoint, but the tire explosions certainly did. With every new tire detonation, I'd just get angrier at Pirelli, it's just ridiculous.

Alonso was my driver of the race, he made me squirm and squeal like a teenage girl watching a horror flick with her boyfriend. His race craft is just sublime and got as close as you can possibly get, time and time again to leave without a scratch, just incredible.

Webber's charge late in the race was intense as well, I had a good feeling Nico would take it but I didn't think it would be that close.

Such a bitter sweet GP.

All this issue with the tires is really embarrasing for F1, and obviously for Pirelli.

Will now an F1 fan, choose pirelli tires? :lol:

Gary Anderson doing some sleuth-work looking for a cause for the tire explosions.

Here's a video with him showing a curb at turn four that may or may not have had the potential to cause some of the cutting into the tires:

Solution. Remove the kerbs, make it real grass right to the edge of the track and remind the drivers that the track limits are the white lines.

Well, if at no point did Charlie Whiting deem it a concern to red flag the race. I guess multiple cars blowing a tyre from 150-190mph is not as grave as a car beached in the kitty litter.

Anyways, if the safety car pulled off 1 lap earlier, webber wins.

Solution. Remove the kerbs, make it real grass right to the edge of the track and remind the drivers that the track limits are the white lines.

The problem then would be that it might increase the number of incidents with people aiming for apexes that are harder to judge.

:confused: I have a couple of queries about the kerb theory, how long has the kerb been there ? is it brand new or a few years old. If it's old why hasn't it previously been a problem, and even if it's new for this meeting it wasn't a problem in the support races.

I'm happy to say that was the first Grand Prix that I've ever attended. I watched Hamilton run away from Vettel at the start. Every lap, I could see him drag that extra 2-4 car lengths from Vettel at Becketts (where my Dad and I were seated). After seeing the amount of punctures (this is purely from a spectator's point of view), I hope that Pirelli can sort something out ASAP.

The problem then would be that it might increase the number of incidents with people aiming for apexes that are harder to judge.

Except that drivers only try it on with bits of the track they can get away with things like that. If they can't get away with it, they don't tend to touch it or else they do crash.

Having said that I'm not being entirely series anyway.

:confused: I have a couple of queries about the kerb theory, how long has the kerb been there ? is it brand new or a few years old. If it's old why hasn't it previously been a problem, and even if it's new for this meeting it wasn't a problem in the support races.

Either the kerb has worn off from all those cars going over it. Or it may be due to the fact that this year's tyres are so fragile and drivers were being informed that the tyres were getting so hot so rapidly.

My first ever race that I actually went to. Saw a few of The fantastic moves into the village complex as I was sat just before that near the 100 meter board at the start of it.

Great fun.

My expirence of the people round me.

First 3 laps everyone clapped and cheered when Lewis went past. Then after the tire went everyone sat down. Then Lewis put on a great show and everyone got up and clapped. Then Vettel retired and everyone cheered. Then everyone just cheered when Lewis went past or got close to someone for the rest.

On the tyre issue.

When Hamilton's tire went I was a bit gutted. When Massa's tire went I thought this is a bit strange. When the third tire went I thought this is a joke and then Perez gets his second tire failure of the weekend on top of that.

The tires were dangerous today and a complete joke.

Oh and when you are actually there the race seems to go by quicker for some reason. Strange.

Last edited:
Then Vettel retired and everyone cheered.

Yes, we could hear you on the TV. :sly:

Oh and when you are actually there the race seems to go by quicker for some reason. Strange.

I can relate to that. It's like the cars never stop going by when you're actually there, then before you know it, done. It did seem to go by quite quick today though from watching it at home. Maybe because there was so much drama.

:lol: +1 👍

Sucked in! :P

Wow there's really a lot of Vettel haters. I'm not a fan but not to this point.

Yeah arrogance doesn't make you a very respectable driver, especially when you even backstab your teammate

Other than that, great race. Great to see both Aussies in the top 10-shame Ricciardo couldn't hold 5th with his tires wearing out. Webber did an amazing comeback from 14th at one point to 2nd :), same as Hamilton from 18th to 4th and Massa from 22nd to 6th. Thus was a n incredible race-drama, wheel-to-wheel action, etc. If Webber had one more lap, or had he exited his last pitstop in front of Sutil and Ricciardo, he would have won. Ah well...

Last edited:
Why have they not taken it to Donnington yet? They talked about it before the renovation...

The plans to move to Donington collapsed completely when the owners went bankrupt, it will never happen now. Besides Bernie would still charge them the same so prices would have still been high.
the donington may have not worked due to an issue that many tracks are facing that is noise restrictions it killing a lot of the higher level sports on tracks. donington and many others now have a limit on the amount of races in a year
:lol: +1 👍

Sucked in! :P

Yeah arrogance doesn't make you a very respectable driver, especially when you even backstab your teammate

Other than that, great race. Great to see both Aussies in the top 10-shame Ricciardo couldn't hold 5th with his tires wearing out. Webber did an amazing comeback from 14th at one point to 2nd :), same as Hamilton from 18th to 4th and Massa from 22nd to 6th. Thus was a n incredible race-drama, wheel-to-wheel action, etc. If Webber had one more lap, or had he exited his last pit stop in front of Sutil and Ricciardo, he would have won. Ah well...
the drive from many were fantastic however i was entertained when vettel
was booed
my driver of the race is either ricciardo or hamilton

Willfred_1
the drive from many were fantastic however i was entertained when vettel
was booed
my driver of the race is either ricciardo or hamilton

Was Vettel actually booed at by the crowd? Weren't they cheering instead? :P

:) +1:tup:

Is it just me or are Lotus a bit dodgy when it comes to race strategies? Not bringing Kimi in when the SC came out for the final time was a big mistake.

What, that Sepang thing again? I guess Webber backstabbed his teammate in 2011 Silverstone...

Excellent race though, glad to see Fernando on the podium after what was such a tough weekend. DOTD was Lewis, leading brilliantly, and denied the win through the tyre failure.

f40
What, that Sepang thing again? I guess Webber backstabbed his teammate in 2011 Silverstone

What about in 2010, when Webber was forced to give his nose cone to Vettel (because he damages his own) despite being ahead of him in the driver's championship at that stage

What about in 2010, when Webber was forced to give his nose cone to Vettel (because he damages his own) despite being ahead of him in the driver's championship at that stage

That has nothing to do with Vettel supposedly backstabbing his teammate, as it was the team's decision. Also, Vettel was ahead in the championship going into that race.

Just saw the race on my DVR and wow, that was crazy. Some of you don't want to blame the tires but here's the thing: If the curbs are to blame, then why did we not see any of these same issues in the WEC earlier in the year? Or the ELMS the day before? Why only now this weekend?

Other then that, great races. Epic drives by Nico, Alonso, Webber, Hamilton and Massa. I've never seen Massa more alive then I did in this race, even making a dynamic start that is usually done by Alonso. Great race 👍

And conveniently, looks who is finally found: Paul Hembrey.

Back