Forza Motorsport (2023) Photo thread

• Thread starter turk1993
  • 259 comments
Belgium
Belgium
You know how it goes, post some amazing pictures like always.
Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-15-22-51.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-43-11.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-20-36-23.jpg

Im not sure where you get that, they look amazing and are massively improved.
Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-15-33-38.png

Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-14-30-56.jpg
The Nissan looks pretty good but I think the texture of the glass ridges is doing a lot of work to sell it. The 190E looks only OK though. Compare it to the real thing (yes its not the exact same model, but the only difference should be the yellow bulb on the interior lamp)

190e.JPG

There's just so much more depth and subtley of material. In the Forza model its like a single surface behind the lens making the whole thing look rather flat. I'm not saying its terrible, but it's not quite right either. There's still something off about how the engine renders chrome too. It's like too perfect of a mirror. Because many headlights have chrome housings, I think this might be a big part of the problem, there is no amount of light diffusion, its either full highlight or full shadow. The chrome weirdness may also be a result of the cube map reflections being not quite geometrically correct, though I'm still not clear on what is being ray traced and what is not. But getting back to the images above, the grill in the picture of the real 190e has some softness in the reflections, whereas the Forza chrome is extremely sharp which often on Forza surfaces tends to look artificial.

Anyways, it seems like they've definitely made some strides in paint rendering, but it seems like the FM23 engine carries over a lot from previous titles.

Last edited:
The Nissan looks pretty good but I think the texture of the glass ridges is doing a lot of work to sell it. The 190E looks only OK though. Compare it to the real thing (yes its not the exact same model, but the only difference should be the yellow bulb on the interior lamp)

View attachment 1292856

There's just so much more depth and subtley of material. In the Forza model its like a single surface behind the lens making the whole thing look rather flat. I'm not saying its terrible, but it's not quite right either. There's still something off about how the engine renders chrome too. It's like too perfect of a mirror. Because many headlights have chrome housings, I think this might be a big part of the problem, there is no amount of light diffusion, its either full highlight or full shadow. The chrome weirdness may also be a result of the cube map reflections being not quite geometrically correct, though I'm still not clear on what is being ray traced and what is not. But getting back to the images above, the grill in the picture of the real 190e has some softness in the reflections, whereas the Forza chrome is extremely sharp which often on Forza surfaces tends to look artificial.

Anyways, it seems like they've definitely made some strides in paint rendering, but it seems like the FM23 engine carries over a lot from previous titles.
Real life will always look better, even offline renders don't do the stuff you are asking. You can nitpick everything in every game tbh. Don't forget that this game has to run in real time at 60fps :). Also the car in your shot is dirty and unkempt, that the reason why the chrome and glass looks like that. A well catered 190E 2.5 looks alot closer to my Forza shot.
MB-190E-2.5-16-SE-001.jpg

All pictures taken on a Series S.

I can't believe, they let the 850 in the game, T10 are such legends! It was my Dad's car, when I was young and i freaking adore it.
Everyone seems to dislike the reused assets, but I rather have a not perfect car in the game than not having it at all.

Back