Game of Thrones - Caution: contains spoilers & dragonsTV 

• Thread starter Villain
  • 862 comments
This episode sums up for me exactly why "Lost" missed on all the potential it showed early doors (sorry). It is fine building up mystery, intrigue and big questions, but you have to answer at least some of them. And not just a rubbish excuse offering, some real hard hitting answers.

We learnt so much from this episode and yet it was one of the best of the season because similarly we have still walked away from it with more intrigue. The pieces are certainly lining themselves up for the end game now and I am really glad that Bran is going to be a key player rather than a mascot or sacrifice.

I'm interested in seeing what Euron Greyjoy does now as well, whether he will head to Essos before it is too late and Daenerys no longer needs him, or seek out his niece and nephew first... It sounds like the latter to me.

Caz
Awefully quiet here
The quiet before the storm.

King's Landing is on the verge of anarchy. In Essos the Dragon Queen is assembling an army which, if it ever arrived in Westeros, would wreak devastation far and wide.

What the living 🤬 are the writers doing? This is abysmal.

Arya's storyline has been dreadfully boring since she started training with The Many Faced Gods people, and this episode effectively makes everything that has happened in her storyline the last 2 seasons completely irrelevant. The "fight" between her and the other girl is laughably stupid.

They kill yet another cool and important character (Blackfish) off offscreen, and pretty much makes reintroducing his character pointless. last, but not least, Daenarys has yet another dragon ex machina moment.

The only good scene in this episode was the scene between Podrik and Bronn. The writers have no idea what they're doing, and frankly, the show is just becoming a cliched joke.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think that...
...Cersei will get Tommen killed in her grudge match against the Faith Militant (or as I like to call them, Da'eshteros)? I bet Qyburn's found the Mad King's stash of wildfire, whose explosiveness she'll underestimate when she orders it to be used?

DK
Does anyone else think that...
...Cersei will get Tommen killed in her grudge match against the Faith Militant (or as I like to call them, Da'eshteros)? I bet Qyburn's found the Mad King's stash of wildfire, whose explosiveness she'll underestimate when she orders it to be used?
From another site I go to there's some spoilers from some Spanish dude which cover the entire season, was released around episode 2. EXTREMELY accurate. So I already know whats going down...

What the living 🤬 are the writers doing? This is abysmal.

Arya's storyline has been dreadfully boring since she started training with The Many Faces Gods people, and this episode effectively makes everything that has happened in her storyline the last 2 seasons completely irrelevant. The "fight" between her and the other girl is laughably stupid.

They kill yet another cool and important character (Blackfish) off offscreen, and pretty much makes reintroducing his character pointless. last, but not least, Daenarys has yet another dragon ex machina moment.

The only good scene in this episode was the scene between Podrik and Bronn. The writers have no idea what they're doing, and frankly, the show is just becoming a cliched joke.

It was weird that we didn't see Brynden's last stand, but Arya's I get. Straight away I understood why she cut the candle, having trained against the Waif whilst blind. It was a clever way to turn the odds in her favour, having always lost on a level playing field but having the experience of fighting without sight.

The Cleganes made this episode, and not just because of the deaths they dealt. Gregor took one hell of a hit in the chest, so we saw some more of what Qyburn has done to his "corpse". And yeah, ripping someone's head off is a great message of just how messed up someone was about to become in the trial by combat. That is until of course it was ruled out by the Faith and the Crown. Oops...

Sandor is just fantastic, his scenes were all great and some of his lines this week were brilliant! "You're **** at dying, you know that?" :D

Danyaeres looked pissed as well. Not surprised, but I wonder what will come of it now.

I could have sworn my DVR only showed two episodes left this season. There's no way they can wrap any of this up in two episodes. Are they doing a mid-season break or something?

Always been 10 episodes a season. They won't wrap all stories up by the end of the season. They have done that before many a time.

It was weird that we didn't see Brynden's last stand, but Arya's I get. Straight away I understood why she cut the candle, having trained against the Waif whilst blind. It was a clever way to turn the odds in her favour, having always lost on a level playing field but having the experience of fighting without sight.

The Cleganes made this episode, and not just because of the deaths they dealt. Gregor took one hell of a hit in the chest, so we saw some more of what Qyburn has done to his "corpse". And yeah, ripping someone's head off is a great message of just how messed up someone was about to become in the trial by combat. That is until of course it was ruled out by the Faith and the Crown. Oops...

Sandor is just fantastic, his scenes were all great and some of his lines this week were brilliant! "You're **** at dying, you know that?" :D

Danyaeres looked pissed as well. Not surprised, but I wonder what will come of it now.

It's mainly how the Waif altered between running and walking in a pathetic attempt to create tension. it's dumb and makes no sense. I also don't buy for a second that Arya didn't break every bone in her body in that fall. The scene where she confronts the man in the temple is facepalm worthy...

I don't have anything negative to say about the Cleganes in this episode, but they weren't that amazing either.

Dany just plain sucks now. She's lingered about in the east far too long, and her storyline involves too many dragon ex machina moments. She's no longer interesting as a character, and Tyrion hasn't had many if any interesting scenes since arriving at Mareen. The show is struggling to maintain far too many storylines at the same time. The White Walkers are a joke, too many essential characters are killed off in dumb ways, and the dialogue is seriously lacking.

Do we actually have to write our opinions down about an episode in spoiler tags? Ugh.....

OK, so given that the episode was called 'No One' I thought that there might be a little more of an interesting story with Arya instead of essentially just a chase and then telling Jaqen to do one. It is a shame because I really like Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen so I had been hoping the story in Braavos would pick up. I do hope that this is not the last we see of Jaqen.

The Clegane's were fantastic, even though Gregor doesn't speak, but it is nice to finally see him get some action. Been wanting the show to do something with him ever since we were first introduced to Ser Robert Strong and in this episode the idiotic Faith got a little bit of what they deserved. More of the same please Gregor. The Hound continues to be one of the highlights of the show. It's so nice to have him back.

The Faith..... GOD I HATE THEM! it's starting to become a bore having to deal with these people. You're not telling me a bunch of religious idiots are going to defy the Great Houses. Looking forward to the story in King's Landing moving on. Thank god Margaery looks to be playing the game, but Tommen is a bloody fool.

Almost think it was to obvious that "someone's army" was going to come save the day.

At least Ramsay Bolton got what he deserved.

Agreed. My wife and I saw it coming a mile away.

Action packed episode that tied up some loose ends. I can't believe we're up to the season finale already. :(

Almost think it was to obvious that "someone's army" was going to come save the day.

At least Ramsay Bolton got what he deserved.

It was obvious, because they mentioned it like two episodes prior. Everybody should of known it was coming.

Pretty good episode, and a fitting end for a certain character. the increase in episode run time definitely helps.

It was obvious, because they mentioned it like two episodes prior. Everybody should of known it was coming.

Right, but I kept waiting for something to be shown before the fight. Then when Davos was at the fire-pit and there was a horn blowing or something in the back-ground, I figured that was them.

My thought was, that even during the battle when arrows were constituting "friendly-fire" that other houses that were with the boltons would turn on him,

or

Arya would sneak up and slit his throat. However she probably wasn't back to Westeros by then, or knew of the situation, or would be at winterfell by the time.

I feel like it was a little bit too convenient that Davos found the stake Shireen was tied to and burned on. If I was Melisandre I would have just said Ramsay (or his "20 good men") killed her, but then again I'm probably underestimating the honesty of a priestess of R'hollor.

DK
I feel like it was a little bit too convenient that Davos found the stake Shireen was tied to and burned on. If I was Melisandre I would have just said Ramsay (or his "20 good men") killed her, but then again I'm probably underestimating the honesty of a priestess of R'hollor.
During that scene I was trying to remember what she told him when she returned to Castle Black. I think she just told Davos that no one made it but she obviously left out the part where she had Shireen burned to death as a sacrifice.

Also:
Anyone else think it was too convenient that Varys left Mereen right before an entire Armada of boats arrived to throw flaming boulders at it?

Also:
Anyone else think it was too convenient that Varys left Mereen right before an entire Armada of boats arrived to throw flaming boulders at it?
Convenient in the sense that it cuts out any lead-up to him possibly popping up in...ugh...Dorne.

Does anyone else think that maybe the thread title needs changing to warn about possible spoilers?

That way we can get rid of all those needless spoiler links.

What else, other than conversations over the latest episode are people likely to expect in here anyway?

Last edited:
I doubt we see him again this season but I just thought it was shady and a little too much of a coincidence.

I agree @TheCracker. Maybe a "Current Season Spoilers after Page XX" or something.

OK, so given that the episode was called 'No One' I thought that there might be a little more of an interesting story with Arya instead of essentially just a chase and then telling Jaqen to do one. It is a shame because I really like Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen so I had been hoping the story in Braavos would pick up. I do hope that this is not the last we see of Jaqen.

It does appear to have been a largely useless plot line, Arya's whole Many-faced God escapade. Unlike almost every other plot thread in GoT, it doesn't appear to have driven any major character anywhere. At this point Arya is largely the same person as she was before she arrived in Braavos. I feel we maybe haven't seen the last of Jaqen yet.

Mild, very mild, spoiler warning for the graphic below.

It's published by The Economist in an article by an Oxford medieval scholar, and very amusing. It assesses the chances for a Targaryen restoration to the Iron Throne of Westeros.

https://www.1843magazine.com/culture/the-daily/how-to-win-the-game-of-thrones
GOT_logistics_CMS-V4.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Episode 9 is normally the one to watch, with the finale just serving to wrap things up or set the next season in motion. A real and literal shake up in King's Landing though, Cersei now standing alone I am sure having undone the work Jaime did in killing mad King Aegon before he could blow up the wildfire....

Arya and Varys travelled Fast...

Back