Gamescom Video and Pictures thread

• Thread starter King1982
  • 169 comments
@Speedster, I have never been to Laguna Seca, have you? From watching a few videos I can see that most slightly pass 90 degrees.

In a rally car or race car, you would rarely need to turn the wheel past more than a 100 degrees or so. However in a road car, the corkscrew and the final left hander which is practically a 90 deg turn would require you to turn past 90 degs. Far more than 90 degs actually. The wheel animation felt very numb. A little more freedom than FM4, but still numb and dull.

I always raced in Hood Cam because it helped me nail corners better, and I must say I'm very happy for FM5's new Hood Cam. FM4's was nice but it made everything look too big. (I believe it was because the FOV had it to see the entire bonnet of the car and then some) This new view has a much better FOV and I like it!

Even in FM4, the hood cam yields better driving and lap times (compared to bonnet or chase cam), simply because of the FOV. Some tend to disagree, but with motion effects enabled, hood cam gives the best FOV, and you can very accurately judge corner entry and exit speeds. Also added bonus - you can countersteer and correct slides faster. I also love watching the world pass by in the hood reflections. And the suspension seems to give more feedback in this perspective. Just my two. Bonnet is still my all time fav though! Ever since the days of the original Need for Speed. :dopey:

Wasnt watching any rally car or race cars. It was road going cars, The only cars I would see having to turn that much would be cars with steering wheels the size of a buses.

Last edited:
So I suppose this is sort of relevant to this thread after all:

The build at FanExpo is identical to Gamescom. My girlfriend asked to make sure, just in case it having the same car lineup available at Laguna was just a coincidence ;).

If anybody has any requests, she's there again tomorrow and is going to try to take some video (if she's permitted). I also might pop by there Sunday, to get a feel for the physics side of things.

She did say she was blown away at the visual spectacle of it all - she took the 300SL for a drive - specifically the way shadows move, and the detail in the paint.

can you do direct sound recording? Someone should get a proper recording of the R18. The only direct sound clips I've seen are the two gamersydes of the P1 and Focus - the other cars need some love as well.

If she's allowed to take video, could I be a nuisance and impose upon her to rotate the camera around the exterior of the car for a couple of seconds during a race, either while sitting still to take in the lighting and modeling or in a profile view while in motion to see the suspension actuating?

Any car will do, although maybe one with a softer suspension (read: either the Gullwing or Focus) so the movement will be more pronounced.

Last edited:
No direct audio, but she can definitely try rotating the chase cam 👍

Man i dont usually drive hoodcam but T10 just made me love it. Here's one with a black hood of the GTO.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGezhZeiAzs">YouTube Link</a>

Ps: Look at the comment section, the gt fanboys really like Forza 5...:)

Haters gone hate...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjjpdB_93Xo">YouTube Link</a>

Gamersyde video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LURWaG4lRpc">YouTube Link</a>

Check out the vehicle shadows as it attempts to go into the corkscrew on the first video. Lighting and shadows seem to be a little off on this demo, sure it'll be fixed on the final product.

Wasnt watching any rally car or race cars. It was road going cars, The only cars I would see having to turn that much would be cars with steering wheels the size of a buses.

That's good to know. Unluckily for Forza, every track is not like Laguna. So there will be quite a few turns where you may need to rotate an actual wheel past 180 degrees. In the video, you'll notice how at one point, the virtual driver goes full lock, that's just past 90 degrees. Sad. Everything about the cockpit looks rather nice, but they had to goof this one detail. And they couldn't possibly come up with an excuse like "not enough hardware HP" this time. :grumpy:

While we're on the topic, older cars, particularly classic and muscle cars require more steering input; the last left hander would require close to (if not very close) 180 degrees, to touch the apex.

Looks like I'll be bypassing the cockpit view this generation too. Sad. 👎

pdmi.png

Something is off with that shadow

No endurance races in single player then.............:grumpy:

there's a comically banal thread on this on the fm.net forums already. But for what it's worth, in fm3, less than 1% of players finished all of the endurance races without hired drivers, and less than 5% finished one race without a hired driver. so clearly the vast majority of the player base is uninterrsted in enduros.

^^ It is however, very reassuring to know there are endurance events to choose from. Where you get to employ pit strategy, and having to worry about tire wear and fuel depletion adds a new level of immersion.

You can thank T10 for not including fully animated pit stops in FM3, along with realistic fuel and tire depletion. No wonder it got stale, and hasn't been brought back.

Ironic though, how a crucial element like this has been missing from a title that hails it's last name as "Motorsport".

... in fm3, less than 1% of players finished all of the endurance races without hired drivers, and less than 5% finished one race without a hired driver. so clearly the vast majority of the player base is uninterrsted in enduros.
The issue with this is they're looking at their existing player base only. They're doing very little to bring in new players.

there's a comically banal thread on this on the fm.net forums already. But for what it's worth, in fm3, less than 1% of players finished all of the endurance races without hired drivers, and less than 5% finished one race without a hired driver. so clearly the vast majority of the player base is uninterrsted in enduros.

I would say people are more uninterested in the way they have them set up. in both GT and Forza you pretty much have to try and make it a challenge to make the entire race something more than an extended hot lap session or trying to see how many times you can lap the field, neither of those things are exactly thrilling.

I'm really starting to wonder what T10 is doing, it's like they have hit a plateau when there is still tons of room to improve.

You know, I know Forzavista is cool and its perfect for photographing, but its the last thing in my mind. I just want to play the game.

Back