Ghost recon wildlands

• Thread starter boomee
  • 160 comments
I really need to find time to get back into completing Wildlands.

It just fell off the radar for a while. Probably gonna play some in the upcoming weeks.

I still have a bad taste from Narco Road so I'm hoping this will trigger my interest back into the game.
Fallen Ghosts adds some new combinations of enemies, and some of them are tough:
Brutes carry heavy body armour and can only be killed with head shots.

Lethal snipers are much more alert than ordinary snipers and can kill you in one shot.

Jammers carry portable drone jammers that can only be deactivated by killing them.

Scouts have optical camouflage and cannot be tagged.
The only disappointing thing is that these enemies probably should have been in the main game on release. Some of them have a lit in common with the hunter and berserker classes that appeared in Far Cry 4.

I tried one of those Rescue VIP side missions (green) and it was quite a challenge. Now I do sometimes make things harder than they need to be in this game but I try to keep it realistic. I was pinned in the building for about 10 minutes trying to plan an escape route, but either got murdered by the endless enemies or VIP killed from helo rockets...really happy with these.

The Headhunter ones are fun too, there is one where for the life of me can't find the mole, even with pictures of person.

Really enjoyed this title and the DLC, even though it's mostly a POC/tech demo for their (absolutely awesome) procedural world engine. Can't wait to see Ubi put it to use in future titles. 👍 I do think that for the amount of time they spent on getting this world implemented, the game should have had more in terms of (endgame) content, which would have persuaded a lot more people to buy the microtransaction content. Now there's really no use for it (except having handy vehicles during a replay of the campaign).

the game should have had more in terms of (endgame) content, which would have persuaded a lot more people to buy the microtransaction content. Now there's really no use for it
There's never a use for microtransaction content. Why should I pay $50 for the privelige of dressing my character in a leather jacket or painting my guns a unique colour or driving a special vehicle? If you could earn more microtransaction currency through in-game actions or buy individual items to personalise the game, then maybe I could understand it.

Why should I pay $50 for the privelige of dressing my character in a leather jacket or painting my guns a unique colour or driving a special vehicle?
You don't have to. :) And yes, the current store is 'a bit' weird. Most of the stuff is way too expensive and there's no use to dress up, as there's no endgame to dress up for.

Most of the stuff is way too expensive and there's no use to dress up, as there's no endgame to dress up for.
I imagine that it's an additional layer of personalisation for co-operative gaming. But me, I already have a very distinct look for my character.

And I have noticed that some of it became available through challenges like the 6P41 Reaper.

Really hoping that the DLC's for Wildlands will come up on Steam Summer sale or something, otherwise I will most likely not get them.

A new update has been released, which adds Tier One mode - an extreme difficulty setting that becomes available at level 30.

A new update has been released, which adds Tier One mode - an extreme difficulty setting that becomes available at level 30.
Been playing around with that for a bit.

You start at Tier 50, which is basically whatever difficulty you selected. Instead of XP, you now get tier points (basically the same thing, just different scale). Every tier gives you resources and every 5th tier gives you a weapon or some other item. Your ability to gather resources/tier points also increases. In turn, difficulty rises as you progress upwards toward Tier 1. The resources can be spent on your character, or if your character is already maxed, spent on upgrading weapon damage (yes, you can now level weapons). Resources on the map now respawn and some of the side missions too (though I haven't found out if the latter keep respawning, the on-map resources do keep on respawning). On top of this all, Tier One mode locks you out of the lower difficulties at a steady rate: every few tiers or so one of the lower difficulty levels becomes unavailable. I haven't been affected by this yet as I was playing on Extreme anyway.

So far, I've made it to Tier 38 and I'm really liking this. The only downside I see is that it's becoming a grind already and I still have 37 tiers to go. :lol: Also really curious how hard it will be at T1. The increased damage gained from leveling weapons also appears to be negated by enemies increased toughness. Curious how far I'll make it before it becomes too insane. :D

Curious how far I'll make it before it becomes too insane.
I haven't tried it yet, but I really like the look of the prize you get for reaching Tier 5. Given what you've just said, though, I doubt I'll ever make it ...

I haven't tried it yet, but I really like the look of the prize you get for reaching Tier 5. Given what you've just said, though, I doubt I'll ever make it ...

I got the Desert HTI at level 45 (5 levels in) and it's absolutely mental. Single shot silenced kills on choppers, armored vehicles, the works. Downside: you'll need it that firepower. :lol:

Just started playing Wildlands again today and played for about 7 hours.

Got up to Tier 37 now, but taking things slowly when trying to stealth everything. :dopey:

I got the Desert HTI at level 45 (5 levels in) and it's absolutely mental.
I really need to start experimenting with weapon combinations some more. The challenges gave me the chance to play around a bit - particularly with sniper rifles - but assault rifles and sub-machine guns complement my play style.

I'm using the AK-12 to supplement the HTI. HTI I use unsupressed since I only use it at distances where sound is not really an issue.

Down to Tier 28. I felt that tier 30 was really what Extreme difficulty is supposed to be. Now it's becoming even harder, though I'm still knocking out convoys and raiding bases without dying too much. :D

I have just put in Wildlands for the first time since PS4 v1.07 (Title Update 5) arrived and cannot seem to climb or vault anything.

Has anybody had this issue?

I'm using the AK-12 to supplement the HTI.
I prefer the AUG coupled with the PP19 or MPX myself. There's a few weapons in the harder provinces that I'm looking forward to trying out like the TARS-21 (even though I haven't noticed too much difference in the performance of weapons within a class), but I'm nowhere near ready to take them on - I've only just finished my first four-star province. I tend to follow my own rules, as it were, like staying off roads, no rebel support and so on and so forth.

In the base game, a fast firing weapon to support your sniper rifle is more important than a hard hitting one. In Tier 1 this is even more so, because you can upgrade the damage of your weapon. I also wouldn't advise anyone on starting Tier 1 unless you have become level 30 on Extreme setting AND have a fully upgraded character. Tier 1 start the first few tiers by rapidly upping the difficulty level by locking out Arcade, then Regular, then Veteran, then locks it to Extreme. So if you're not used to playing on Extreme there's a huge jump in difficulty. And while you can disable/enable Tier 1 at will, Tier progress is permanent, so you can't drop in tier. So if you made it to a tier that's above your skill level, you're stuck with it for now.

I have just put in Wildlands for the first time since PS4 v1.07 (Title Update 5) arrived and cannot seem to climb or vault anything.

Has anybody had this issue?
Nope, but I've read about it on the official forums, better take a look over there to see if there's a fix/workaround.

Will do thanks. I'm happy I'm not the only one to see this.
I did some searching, but since the latest forum update over there I have a hard time locating older threads. I'm quite sure there were several complaints regarding lack of control/actions not working. Did a restart fix it?

I did some searching, but since the latest forum update over there I have a hard time locating older threads. I'm quite sure there were several complaints regarding lack of control/actions not working. Did a restart fix it?
Yes, a system restart sorted it. I put it off last night after a game reboot didn't help, but it was fine tonight. Cheers.

I know everyone thinks of Ubisoft as an unsympathetuc juggernaut, but to their credit, they've really gone the extra mile on post-release support for Ghost Recon Wildlands. Two sizeable DLC packages, substantial updates that encourage replayability - Challenges and Tier One - and regular patches to fix bugs.

Now, if only they could carry some of the content from the DLC into the main game - namely Los Extranjeros.

A lot of people complain about lack of polish or direction, but the reality is that GRWL is one of Ubisofts most polished games from recent times. They delivered what was promised and are going to deliver some extra goodies on top too. PVP was never their plan, but they're going to implement it anyway. There are issues of course, but relatively very few people suffer from persistent game breaking issues (though for those involved that doesn't make things better of course).

There are some design decisions that people disagree with, but the choices they made have both pros and cons (e.g. not making DLC part of the main game, but separate). A lot of people hated Narco Road, but I though the missions were actually pretty good, just a bit of an iffy theme for a GR game.

A lot of people hated Narco Road, but I though the missions were actually pretty good, just a bit of an iffy theme for a GR game.
Actually, I think it fits in perfectly with the theme of Wildlands. If you think of Santa Blanca as a substitute for ISIS, a large part of the story questions the long-term consequences of short-sighted foreign policy. The Ghosts - Weaver in particular - question what will become of Bolivia after Santa Blanca is gone, especially considering that there is no support once the Ghosts withdraw. And as if by clockwork, someone else fills the void: Los Sin Alma is made up of disenchanted rebels, while Los Extranjeros draws from renegade special forces. It mirrors the way ISIS rose to prominence once al'Qaeda started to fall apart. I get that people disliked the whole extreme sports concept and social media following in a game about strategy, but I think it was born out of a desire to introduce new gameplay mechanics.

Overall, I have enjoyed the game, but one thing I personally would have liked is with a world as big as this one, have your ghost start with default outfit, then find clothing as you play, just like weapons and skill points.

Now I know that doesn't seem real when it comes to the Ghosts, I mean whose clothing are they finding and is it even their size but it would have added to the open world, that's just me though, most will frown in that idea I imagine.

have your ghost start with default outfit, then find clothing as you play, just like weapons and skill points
It would only work if clothing offered you some kind of benefit. As it is, it's purely cosmetic - wearing the Heavy IBA vest offers as much protection as wearing no vest at all.

Made it to Tier 18 so far. It's becoming hard, but not so hard that I feel I'm being cheated (yet). But head rushing your four-man team into a base with a dozen Unidad or Cartel members on alert is certainly not advisable anymore. :D

I also upgraded my AK-12 to level 30. I deliberately chose an AR with high rate of fire and accuracy to get the most out of the upgraded damage and not disappointed. I see people upgrading the Desert Tech HTI, but that thing one-shots everything (even on my current tier), so don't see the point really.

rushing your four-man team into a base with a dozen Unidad or Cartel members on alert is certainly not advisable anymore
When was it ever? There's a certain visceral thrill to sneaking in and out of a Unidad firebase without firing a single shot. Even moreso now that the Tier One has apparently updated the team mechanics - if the enemy senses a direct threat from one of your squad, your squad becomes visible, and if the enemy see them it triggers the alert.

Never, but you can get away with it quite easily in the base game.
I'm a bit frustrated with the game at the moment. I like taking my time, but I have to be in the right frame of mind to do it. Otherwise, I end up making silly mistakes and rushing through the game.

Back