Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,020 comments
Just finished race #4 in my Miata championship. This one was a bit harder than the others. I started 17th and was able to make my way up to 14th after a couple laps, but then couldn't make any more progress and hung out there for a bit. Towards the middle of the race I slowly started picking them off one by one, and in the last 15 minutes or so it seemed like one car would drop off the leading pack one at a time and I would get them fairly easy. Got up to 7th and then the AI boost kicked in and a couple were able to get back past me. Unfortunately I made a mistake on the last lap so I gave up another falling to 10th. But was able to pass him again in the last corner. Finished 9th. Pretty good race all around.

One of the negatives I am finding with this is that the AI for most of the race do nothing. They just run around single file and don't race each other. I think this is a byproduct of using all identical cars. I can have an AI win a race, so for the next one they start last. And they'll just stay there. 😕

Here's a couple good battles from the Maggiore race last night:

Ran Red Bull Ring tonight. Started 12th, fell to 14th. Slowly worked my way up to the top 5 and then the AI picked up the pace. I was pushing pretty good at the end and just barely managed to get myself into 2nd place at the finish. This is a good track for AI in my experience, but they are a bit slow exiting T1.

I really hate the custom race options.

So I want to do a 1 hour 24 hour spa race. I set up a GR3 race with 20 cars, random weather but I pre selected some rain half way through, tyre x7 and fuel wear x2, and I set AI to Professional

Race starts and I’m down in P17 and the first issue I come across is the AI, any car not in the top 10 are just incredibly slow. They don’t put any sort of fight, sick to the racing line 100% and always brake in fast corners or too early.
As the race goes on its clear all cars are running the hard tyres with the majority of cars running fuel save. This means i
they is zero strategy to the AI and me on medium tyres running at mix1 just means I’m a lot quicker then all cars.
So night time falls and I can see the stars, and then a few laps later I notice the star have gone, ok so rain must be close. I check the weather radar and nothing. No light or dark blue on the map. I carry on and halfway round the lap it start to rain hard, hard enough for the track surface to be in the top bar for full wets. Weather radar says it’s clear, so I have no clue at all what the weather is doing.
In the end I quit. I fell so far behind as I couldn’t spinning out of control every few meters.

For me to enjoy more custom race
I would like to have more cars on track 30-40 cars which allows bigger mix class races, plus the mix class races to have there own in class positions.
mandatory tyres/usable tyres,
AI to be more competitive in all positions. ACC’s AI is brilliant I think, as they defend corners and will try and make moves on you into corners. GT7 cars stay on there (train track) racing line to do overtakes and defence.
and a weather radar that works.

So I want to do a 1 hour 24 hour spa race. I set up a GR3 race with 20 cars, random weather but I pre selected some rain half way through, tyre x7 and fuel wear x2, and I set AI to Professional

Race starts and I’m down in P17 and the first issue I come across is the AI, any car not in the top 10 are just incredibly slow. They don’t put any sort of fight, sick to the racing line 100% and always brake in fast corners or too early.
As the race goes on its clear all cars are running the hard tyres with the majority of cars running fuel save. This means i
they is zero strategy to the AI and me on medium tyres running at mix1 just means I’m a lot quicker then all cars.
So night time falls and I can see the stars, and then a few laps later I notice the star have gone, ok so rain must be close. I check the weather radar and nothing. No light or dark blue on the map. I carry on and halfway round the lap it start to rain hard, hard enough for the track surface to be in the top bar for full wets. Weather radar says it’s clear, so I have no clue at all what the weather is doing.
In the end I quit. I fell so far behind as I couldn’t spinning out of control every few meters.

I would like to have more cars on track 30-40 cars which allows bigger mix class races, plus the mix class races to have there own in class positions.
AI to be more competitive in all positions. ACC’s AI is brilliant I think, as they defend corners and will try and make moves on you into corners. GT7 cars stay on there (train track) racing line to do overtakes and defence.
Isn't a 1 hour 24 hours of spa exactly what the ingame event is in World Circuits? You get good money for it there too lol.

Last edited:

Quite sad the fact that GT7 came out on Console that has a 9 year old CPU, that's wasn't even top-tier back then. But then comes the question of just making more AI for PS5 version of the game, why PD haven't decided to do that remains an apparent mystery. Even one GTS Mission race had like around ~39 AI cars or something like that. Perhaps someday, in upcoming update we can see more AI across tracks like Nurburgring and Le mans respectively. My best guess would be is that they just used same AI code in GTS to GT7, since one person does things with it.

Very understandable on that, watching 24 hours races and not being able to fully replicate them in GT7, makes me question myself in all sorts of way...is current year 2022? And so on and forth

PS5 can barely handle 20 cars on track in replays. I see frame rate issues all the time. If you put better tires on your car than the AI have, you're not going to enjoy the experience. They also don't like large fuel and tire wear multipliers. Also I hear after the last update the weather radar is broken.

Isn't a 1 hour 24 hours of spa exactly what the ingame event is in World Circuits? You get good money for it there too lol.
I feel so foolish. I’ve just looked and your right, they is already a pre built Gr3, 60 minute event that gives 14x time more credits.

Quite sad the fact that GT7 came out on Console that has a 9 year old CPU, that's wasn't even top-tier back then. But then comes the question of just making more AI for PS5 version of the game, why PD haven't decided to do that remains an apparent mystery. Even one GTS Mission race had like around ~39 AI cars or something like that. Perhaps someday, in upcoming update we can see more AI across tracks like Nurburgring and Le mans respectively. My best guess would be is that they just used same AI code in GTS to GT7, since one person does things with it.

Very understandable on that, watching 24 hours races and not being able to fully replicate them in GT7, makes me question myself in all sorts of way...is current year 2022? And so on and forth
Hopefully we get more AI, but needs to be better AI to start with. They are too predictable, and easy to pass.
The 24 hours multi class thing annoys me. I know you can have different class already but proper positions would be great. Plus I’d like to do this with online too.
PS5 can barely handle 20 cars on track in replays. I see frame rate issues all the time. If you put better tires on your car than the AI have, you're not going to enjoy the experience. They also don't like large fuel and tire wear multipliers. Also I hear after the last update the weather radar is broken.
Ah ok well that explain the weather radar. I was playing on PS4pro, but I have my settings saved and I’m going to try it on ps5 later and see if I get the same issue.
If AI don’t like large multipliers then it just feels pointless. So much to like in this game but also so much to dislike. Hopefully future updates can patch a lot of these issues

I feel so foolish. I’ve just looked and your right, they is already a pre built Gr3, 60 minute event that gives 14x time more credits.

Hopefully we get more AI, but needs to be better AI to start with. They are too predictable, and easy to pass.
The 24 hours multi class thing annoys me. I know you can have different class already but proper positions would be great. Plus I’d like to do this with online too.

Ah ok well that explain the weather radar. I was playing on PS4pro, but I have my settings saved and I’m going to try it on ps5 later and see if I get the same issue.
If AI don’t like large multipliers then it just feels pointless. So much to like in this game but also so much to dislike. Hopefully future updates can patch a lot of these issues
It needs a lot of work but if you do what some of us have been posting about in the last few pages, it can be fun. You have to give the AI an advantage for the racing to be any good.

Now working on recreating the FF Challenge from Sport. The format is the same as the Sunday Cup, but it's just for any FF car with 345HP or less. I'm using the FK8 Civic, which is a good call. The other Civic and Sirocco are the quick boys.

The Civic Touring Car is available in the UCD. Just like the Miata TC, it's a good car to have fun.

A bit expensive to buy 20 of them though.

Been running my F1 grids in reverse WDC order, it brings in 1000x better racing because of the way the cars are power limited. Actually seeing multiple overtakes by the AI past lap 1 is a welcome change. Top 3 in my last race changed about 5 times, starting with Albon, Stroll and Zhou in P1-P3 (Latifi's place taken by me, starting 20th) and finishing with a very different Tsunoda - Vettel - Ricciardo (after 10 laps).

Some pics below, including a couple AI lockups which I didn't know was a thing?
1659645012795.png
1659645118861.png

1659645151551.png

1659645161986.png

1659645172028.png

How many laps are you guys running and are you using accelerated fuel so there are pit stops? If so what multiplier? I’d like to run races that we all have to pit for fuel and/or tires to bring a little strategy into it.

I’ve put together 20 cars consisting of Miata’s, VW‘s‘ Ford’s, Toyota’s and 1 Clio for some mixed racing. I’ve had to adjust PP and HP and have only done short little 5 lappers to test but i think I am close to having some close races. But, would love to do a race with pitstop(s).

How many laps are you guys running and are you using accelerated fuel so there are pit stops? If so what multiplier? I’d like to run races that we all have to pit for fuel and/or tires to bring a little strategy into it.

I’ve put together 20 cars consisting of Miata’s, VW‘s‘ Ford’s, Toyota’s and 1 Clio for some mixed racing. I’ve had to adjust PP and HP and have only done short little 5 lappers to test but i think I am close to having some close races. But, would love to do a race with pitstop(s).
I don't do strategy because the AI don't know how to handle it. They all run weird or identical strategies and sometimes just don't pit and run the rest of the race with no fuel or no tyres.

I don't do strategy because the AI don't know how to handle it. They all run weird or identical strategies and sometimes just don't pit and run the rest of the race with no fuel or no tyres.
Ahhhh bummer. Oh well, I’ll run longer ones without fuel or tire wear I guess.

Just pit when the AI pit. You can short fill to keep it even.

The real race series I replicate(GT4, TCR, MINI Challenge, Touring Car masters) are mainly sprint races. One hour or less and/or 9-12 laps, depending on circuit.

If you run real race cars and use a built road car, you'll have worse fuel. So it's possible to have "competitive" AI with that type of handicap.

Last edited:
Just pit when the AI pit. You can short fill to keep it even.

The real race series I replicate(GT4, TCR, MINI Challenge, Touring Car masters) are mainly sprint races. One hour or less and/or 9-12 laps, depending on circuit.

If you run real race cars and use a built road car, you'll have worse fuel. So it's possible to have "competitive" AI with that type of handicap.

What fuel multiplier do you use for your 9-12 lap races or for the sprints you don’t refuel?

Unfortunately the AI doesn't have any kind of strategy. They always go with FM 1 and pit only when absolutely necessary.

That being said, I had one odd Super GT race in Kyoto. Some cars with the best fuel economy went earlier for the pits while other cars with bad fuel efficieny managed to do 1-2 laps more before pitting.

I know the 08' Super GT cars are not equal in fuel efficieny. Most efficient is the SC430, then the GT-R and finally the NSX. In that race, some GT-Rs and SC430s went first, the next lap was 3 NSXs and me and finally the following lap the rest of the grid. Watching the replay, I can see it wasn't exactly "strategy". It was more a result of the pace of each one of them, but you know, at least adds character to the race. :lol:

I'm calling this race "Kyoto 300", because it was indeed 300 km around that track, 1:46 hours of race. :D

edit: I forgot about the multipliers. In this race I had 3x tire wear and 3x fuel. Those 08' Super GT cars all have the Racing Medium tires as default, so I thought x3 for a long race would be ideal for at least 2 pitstops and that's exactly what happened.

Last edited:
What fuel multiplier do you use for your 9-12 lap races or for the sprints you don’t refuel?
1x tyre/fuel. No stops for fuel.

As some of us have reported about AI with multipliers, it's something PD have to work on.
I tried doing high multipliers, in short races and it works with fuel, but not tyres. One race was with 20 Group C cars(4 of each model), another race with GR.4 & GT4 cars and another with built up GR.A(R32, E30, A70 Supra, etc. ). Just testing. Similar results with SI refueling/not refueling, but tyres strategy, depending if RS tyres were bought. The AI would select softest compound during drying conditions.

Just have to test different settings.

Unfortunately the AI doesn't have any kind of strategy. They always go with FM 1 and pit only when absolutely necessary.

That being said, I had one odd Super GT race in Kyoto. Some cars with the best fuel economy went earlier for the pits while other cars with bad fuel efficieny managed to do 1-2 laps more before pitting.

I know the 08' Super GT cars are not equal in fuel efficieny. Most efficient is the SC430, then the GT-R and finally the NSX. In that race, some GT-Rs and SC430s went first, the next lap was 3 NSXs and me and finally the following lap the rest of the grid. Watching the replay, I can see it wasn't exactly "strategy". It was more a result of the pace of each one of them, but you know, at least adds character to the race. :lol:

I'm calling this race "Kyoto 300", because it was indeed 300 km around that track, 1:46 hours of race. :D

edit: I forgot about the multipliers. In this race I had 3x tire wear and 3x fuel. Those 08' Super GT cars all have the Racing Medium tires as default, so I thought x3 for a long race would be ideal for at least 2 pitstops and that's exactly what happened.
They likely revert to RH tires. Did you check that?

They likely revert to RH tires. Did you check that?
I saved the replay. No one reverted back to RH, but that's because I only have one car that I bought RH, which is a car that I was using at Sardegna before buying the whole grid.

Can confirm the rest of them continued with RM. Guess it's sage to safe that as long as you don't buy soft/hard tires, the AI will always use RM. If you buy RH, then the AI will completely ignore RM/RS. The only exceptions to this seems to be inters and wet tires.

Well, there's no going back to that one particular car now. Only way to make it run with RM is if I could sell the upgrades.

For the rest of Gr.3/4 cars, all of them comes with RH, right? So I guess there's no way to make them run with RM/RS right now...

I saved the replay. No one reverted back to RH, but that's because I only have one car that I bought RH, which is a car that I was using at Sardegna before buying the whole grid.

Can confirm the rest of them continued with RM. Guess it's sage to safe that as long as you don't buy soft/hard tires, the AI will always use RM. If you buy RH, then the AI will completely ignore RM/RS. The only exceptions to this seems to be inters and wet tires.

Well, there's no going back to that one particular car now. Only way to make it run with RM is if I could sell the upgrades.

For the rest of Gr.3/4 cars, all of them comes with RH, right? So I guess there's no way to make them run with RM/RS right now...
After a pit stop from wet to dry conditions.

Edit: From when i posted July 13
Hold the phone. I just spent a few hours building and setting up my 964 Cup cars. Only purchased RH and IW tyres. Set up a 4 Lap at the Nurb GP. Tyre&Fuel at 1x, weather random and time 30x. Boost Weak. Grid Start. I’m starting P20.

Track was damp at the start. AI pit end of Lap 1. I follow AI into the pit. Since I forgot to select Display All before entering, I had to guess switching tyre options. I didn’t change tyres or add fuel. Paused the game at pit exit and continued racing.
Couldn’t catch the AI ahead and AI behind we’re right behind me the rest of the race.
1659668313053.png

Last edited:
Yeah, the AI isn’t a fluke. Even with the helping Boost. I’ll repeat, this should be the standard AI.

Figured I’d take it easy, but the AI we’re pulling gaps and the cars behind not letting me off the hook. :lol:

Pushed 100% in this one. Crazy. Can get the AI to “drive in their rear view mirrors”.
One of the best tests. Similar to the TCM races, but the ‘89 M3s are identical. The Alfas are 3 points below the ‘89 M3s and the Evos are way above. Awesome circuit by the way. This layout is non stop action. 👍

Yeah, the AI isn’t a fluke. Even with the helping Boost. I’ll repeat, this should be the standard AI.

Figured I’d take it easy, but the AI we’re pulling gaps and the cars behind not letting me off the hook. :lol:

Pushed 100% in this one. Crazy. Can get the AI to “drive in their rear view mirrors”.
One of the best tests. Similar to the TCM races, but the ‘89 M3s are identical. The Alfas are 3 points below the ‘89 M3s and the Evos are way above. Awesome circuit by the way. This layout is non stop action. 👍

Great stuff guys ! learning a lot by this threadh.. this new chance post 1.19 to save race settings and so organise custom races proficiently has raised my interest ....
A thought... wouldnt be nice if our SME's here now posted their best custom race scenario with setup for track, tyres, fuel, lap duration, boost...any kind of recommended options to share also with rookies like me a good base to experiment and squeeze out at best any AI left by GT7 ?

thank you

Since custom races seem more common, I hope that PD add the ability to choose more countries for AI drivers. Just realized that there is no Swiss flag for some reason. :confused:

Latest Posts

Back