Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,128 comments
Spent 1,252,000 to build 20 of these. Probably one of the most underused car. I doubt people know it’s in the game. :lol:
Fun fact, the S-FR was in a special Tokyo Motor Show only build of GT6, in 2015. There’s a thread about it on GTPlanet, with an image of the car in the selection menu. Here’s a higher-res version from PIT STOP, a now defunct GT blog.

Here’s another picture, from this thread.

Last edited:
Well, the "Sebring" 12 hours wasn't really a challenge, considering that the AI sometimes hit the pit entry wall...

Finally got round to re-starting my Honda JTCC/JGTC series, using a mix of road cars dressed as their best 80's, 90's and early 00's race cars. More videos to come!

I'm driving the Takata FK8 Civic. Particularly "fun" moment at 10:30 when the BP Trampio FK2 decided to give me a tap at high speed approach 130R!

Last edited:
Is it possible to have a coustom race at the Daytona Oval with equally powered cars(let's say muscle cars...), without a spin out in the first lap because the AI slightly touches your rear and you are completly chanceless to do anything against it or to avoid that contact?

I had ten tries in row now, and this thing happend at any of this tries within the first 60 seconds...and what annyos me even more:the AI is not doing that amongst each other, they only do it with my car...

Edit:To answer my own question: It is possible, but it is no fun...you have to stay away from all other cars and try to avoid even the softest contact with the other cars in lap 1, what means, that you are at the last position after lap one and all the others are up and away...if you are lucky, you can overtake one or two cars later on, but that is it...ok-no more Daytona Oval races for me...

Last edited:
Is it possible to have a coustom race at the Daytona Oval with equally powered cars(let's say muscle cars...), without a spin out in the first lap because the AI slightly touches your rear and you are completly chanceless to do anything against it or to avoid that contact?

I had ten tries in row now, and this thing happend at any of this tries within the first 60 seconds...and what annyos me even more:the AI is not doing that amongst each other, they only do it with my car...

Edit:To answer my own question: It is possible, but it is no fun...you have to stay away from all other cars and try to avoid even the softest contact with the other cars in lap 1, what means, that you are at the last position after lap one and all the others are up and away...if you are lucky, you can overtake one or two cars later on, but that is it...ok-no more Daytona Oval races for me...
:lol: A while ago, I expla8ned this very thing to a non-believer and I was told, pretty much, to not be on The AI driving line. I was way away from the AI, on the run to the finish and the AI drove into me so I didn’t finish ahead of it.

:lol: A while ago, I expla8ned this very thing to a non-believer and I was told, pretty much, to not be on The AI driving line. I was way away from the AI, on the run to the finish and the AI drove into me so I didn’t finish ahead of it.
It does have something to do with it...but once I am ahead, the car behind should be responsible to not touch me and adjust its speed and the racing line and I should have the right away to choose my line and not the other way around...sometimes I cut in to fast, i must admit-but most of the time the AI drives in that situations as if it is completly blind and drives if I am not even there...
It does happen in other races, but for me it never was so annoying as in the Oval(because in the first two laps the field is packed together and the cars a really close to each other...)

If I drive like that in online races, everybody would hate me for doing that...

I stay on the high line on the ovals, Becasue the AI just make a natural b-line to the inside. I lose speed(depending on cars I’m running) by running high, but I stay out of trouble. Except for that incident.

Finally got round to re-starting my Honda JTCC/JGTC series, using a mix of road cars dressed as their best 80's, 90's and early 00's race cars. More videos to come!

I'm driving the Takata FK8 Civic. Particularly "fun" moment at 10:30 when the BP Trampio FK2 decided to give me a tap at high speed approach 130R!

Following on from my post above, here's the replays from all three of my Suzuka round of my Honda JTCC/JGTC series.

Current standings after the first round.

1673452332286.png

Next up: Autopolis!

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the 24 Hours of Le Mans - 2015!

UNcQscE.jpg

ubNUWPY.jpg

ntW708C.jpg

sMidGkk.png

ULPT5gv.png
CmImEYr.png

It's finally complete! Probably the most expensive series to recreate, even more than the Super Formula 2019. At least now I have the 2015 WEC season and I can pretty much use all the cars for the 2016 season, just need to swap the GT-Rs for Ford GTs.

Le Mans on a full 24h progression is really something else. Even with all it's flaws, it's quite fun and beautiful.

So far I did quick sprint races and one 1-hour race driving the #64 Corvette. Still working on time progression and fuel/tire wear. 1-hour race is 16 laps for Gr.3 cars, so I'm thinking about using multipliers to make 2 or 3 stops instead of only 1. I'm also thinking if BoP is a good idea here.

6I9yyi7.jpg

BUT! As we all know, unfortunately the AI is not that good. There are some weird behaviors on this track.

First, the AI driving the Gr.3 cars don't care about blue flags and the AI driving Gr.1 don't know how to make decent overtakes on lapped cars. I was being lapped by a Porsche and the AI was literally scared of going faster than me. Then there's the bug with the throttle which is especially harmful on a track like Le Mans. They flawlessly do Mulsanne, but can't do well through Porsche-Raccordement turns, just like the WTC 700 event.

On rain though, it's a different story. Since they have assists (and I belive they also have counter-steering), the AI is pretty damn fast. Unfortunately there's no strategy either, they just go as fast as they can. With that being said, sometimes they brake a little too late, which leads to some interesting moments:
CNDTxVl.jpg

Overall I'd say it's fun, but "not quite there yet". If PD could fix the throttle bug or at least bring the AI competitiveness level from the Missions/Arcade, that would make things 90% better. I'll be testing the Porsche 919 now.

In any case, regardless of how the AI performs, this is fun. It's seriously fun driving with time progression on this circuit. The stars are beautiful, time progression (with or without rain) is beautiful, it's a nice track and all of those cars are pretty!
a4p6Htv.jpg
lpsIe1K.jpg

HBLqyac.jpg
OFqunT1.jpg

qjfMSqr.jpg
YbUB2Pu.png

IDhe2IF.jpg
fTJvoLY.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the 24 Hours of Le Mans - 2015!

UNcQscE.jpg

ubNUWPY.jpg

ntW708C.jpg

sMidGkk.png

ULPT5gv.png
CmImEYr.png

It's finally complete! Probably the most expensive series to recreate, even more than the Super Formula 2019. At least now I have the 2015 WEC season and I can pretty much use all the cars for the 2016 season, just need to swap the GT-Rs for Ford GTs.

Le Mans on a full 24h progression is really something else. Even with all it's flaws, it's quite fun and beautiful.

So far I did quick sprint races and one 1-hour race driving the #64 Corvette. Still working on time progression and fuel/tire wear. 1-hour race is 16 laps for Gr.3 cars, so I'm thinking about using multipliers to make 2 or 3 stops instead of only 1. I'm also thinking if BoP is a good idea here.

6I9yyi7.jpg

BUT! As we all know, unfortunately the AI is not that good. There are some weird behaviors on this track.

First, the AI driving the Gr.3 cars don't care about blue flags and the AI driving Gr.1 don't know how to make decent overtakes on lapped cars. I was being lapped by a Porsche and the AI was literally scared of going faster than me. Then there's the bug with the throttle which is especially harmful on a track like Le Mans. They flawlessly do Mulsanne, but can't do well through Porsche-Raccordement turns, just like the WTC 700 event.

On rain though, it's a different story. Since they have assists (and I belive they also have counter-steering), the AI is pretty damn fast. Unfortunately there's no strategy either, they just go as fast as they can. With that being said, sometimes they brake a little too late, which leads to some interesting moments:
CNDTxVl.jpg

Overall I'd say it's fun, but "not quite there yet". If PD could fix the throttle bug or at least bring the AI competitiveness level from the Missions/Arcade, that would make things 90% better. I'll be testing the Porsche 919 now.

In any case, regardless of how the AI performs, this is fun. It's seriously fun driving with time progression on this circuit. The stars are beautiful, time progression (with or without rain) is beautiful, it's a nice track and all of those cars are pretty!
a4p6Htv.jpg
lpsIe1K.jpg

HBLqyac.jpg
OFqunT1.jpg

qjfMSqr.jpg
YbUB2Pu.png

IDhe2IF.jpg
fTJvoLY.jpg
A 1960s Le Mans or Group C grid might be more expensive. I think one of those 1960s Le Mans races had about five or six Daytona Coupes. :scared:
Good stuff though.

Finished the Acura Gran Prix using Tokyo South as suggested. I felt like Maverick with all those left-right flat out turns...

Laguna Seca is next up!

Finished Laguna and The Glen in my WeatherTech Championship. The first one was a clencher, the other DPi's were only a few seconds behind. The Glen was more chill.

Now to find an alt for Canadian Tire, maybe Sardenga...

Sardegna would be a nice substitute for MoSport. Haven’t watched a race event in a long while, but I remember it’s a very quick circuit. Lots of left right flow to it.

Now that I have all parts of Rolex 24 uploaded, it's time to work on the Michelin Pilot grid. I got enough GS cars, but need to make 4 more TCR's. I have them all planned, with the liveries inspired by the old GTO cars and even the GTU class ;)

I’ll add Barcelona as a good track for competitive AI(with these cars). No chicane allows the program to keep up momentum.
1673752177751.jpeg

I started P12. Took me the first couple laps to pass for P11 & P12(they were better handling M3s, finishing down the order). Those battles allowed the cars ahead to build a gap. Next, took most of the race to catch and pass up to P6 Sierra(it finished P8). Battled it for the final two laps, passing and being overtaken with me holding onto the spot on the last lap. This helped the blue Sierra to catch us up and take P7 through the final corner.

Couple o' questions guys:

I've had to dial the Zonda R down a couple hundred bhp in order to make the AI competitive in a custom 2-lap race at the 'Ring.

Tried using boost but it felt artificial.

Tried to trick the game into putting the competition on softs so I could handicap myself on hards but not only couldn't I do it but the hards didn't feel right 'cause I'm used to the Zonda on softs from GT6. It was my go-to "excitement machine" on the 'Ring back then and still is for now.

So, how can I get a competitive race happening where it's not just a "see if you can get far-enough ahead before the final straight on lap 2 so you don't get caught there" race. Obviously straight-line speed is hugely-compromised by the big drop in bhp. The race is also ruined by the AI's ridiculously-early braking, exacerbated I assume by the fact that they're on hards whist I'm on softs.

Any ideas will be much-appreciated. Just starting out on the custom-race thing and am disappointed 'cause I've been looking forward to building a decent palette of presets to choose from.

Thank you in advance!

Couple o' questions guys:

I've had to dial the Zonda R down a couple hundred bhp in order to make the AI competitive in a custom 2-lap race at the 'Ring.

Tried using boost but it felt artificial.

Tried to trick the game into putting the competition on softs so I could handicap myself on hards but not only couldn't I do it but the hards didn't feel right 'cause I'm used to the Zonda on softs from GT6. It was my go-to "excitement machine" on the 'Ring back then and still is for now.

So, how can I get a competitive race happening where it's not just a "see if you can get far-enough ahead before the final straight on lap 2 so you don't get caught there" race. Obviously straight-line speed is hugely-compromised by the big drop in bhp. The race is also ruined by the AI's ridiculously-early braking, exacerbated I assume by the fact that they're on hards whist I'm on softs.

Any ideas will be much-appreciated. Just starting out on the custom-race thing and am disappointed 'cause I've been looking forward to building a decent palette of presets to choose from.

Thank you in advance!
Many of us stick with Boost Weak. Try to stick with it.

What tracks are you racing on? The AI will be track dependent.

Are you assigning AI cars from your garage or using Random?

Are you doing One Make races?

Me, personally, I run all my cars on RH. Even economy cars and classic cars to give AI more grip. The use all the aids anyway, but I find the programming handle physics better with more grip.

As far as set up, I don’t handicap the car I drive in One Make or different cars. Just many Tests to see how competitive the AI are with a race set up(Starting first, mid-pack and last). It’s a shame we have to do it, but that’s how I‘m having good races.

Many of us stick with Boost Weak. Try to stick with it.

What tracks are you racing on? The AI will be track dependent.

Are you assigning AI cars from your garage or using Random?

Are you doing One Make races?

Me, personally, I run all my cars on RH. Even economy cars and classic cars to give AI more grip. The use all the aids anyway, but I find the programming handle physics better with more grip.

As far as set up, I don’t handicap the car I drive in One Make or different cars. Just many Tests to see how competitive the AI are with a race set up(Starting first, mid-pack and last). It’s a shame we have to do it, but that’s how I‘m having good races.
OK, I'll try boost weak.

As I said, just the 'Ring so far really.

Tried both random and one-make. Haven't really got much in my garage yet so not tried assigning from there.

I asked about how I could trick the AI into wearing softs to speed them up 'cause no matter whether I enter the mode with softs or hards, or change once in the mode, the AI stays on hards. You said you run the "road" AI cars with RH's, so now I'm thinking you pre-fit the tyres in your garage 'cause you own them? Is there absolutely no way to control what they use if they're not from your garage?

Thanks a tonne matey. Really appreciate it bro'. :cheers:

Last edited:
OK, I'll try boost weak.

As I said, just the 'Ring so far really.

Tried both random and one-make. Haven't really got much in my garage yet so not tried assigning from there.

I asked about how I could trick the AI into wearing softs to speed them up 'cause no matter whether I enter the mode with softs or hards, or change once in the mode, the AI stays on hards. You said you run the "road" AI cars with RH's, so now I'm thinking you pre-fit the tyres in your garage 'cause you own them? Is there absolutely no way to control what they use if they're not from your garage?

Thanks a tonne matey. Really appreciate it bro'. :cheers:
Correct. I buy and fit the RH tyres to all the cars I own.

We can not control what tyres the AI use, on cars we do not own. As a side, if you have a wet surface, the AI(random and garage cars) will pit and fit the appropriate Intermediate or Wet tyre. When the track is drying, the AI will pit and, for some reason, are assigned the RS tyre.

One caveat, if you own a car that comes standard with RM, SM, etc, if you fit a harder compound tyre, the AI uses that harder compound as the default. Even if you change it in your garage, AI will use the harder compound.
As an example. If you buy two CLKs or multiple Group C cars. If you add a harder compound to one and assign that car as an AI, it will underperform compared to the other cars, as it will default to the harder compound. It's a mess.

Last edited:
Back