Gran Turismo 7: One Year Later...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 219 comments
"Always online" isn't such a big deal anymore because most people have access to an internet connection these days.
I don't mind it. Even if your main connection goes down, you've still got phones for hot-spotting.

The biggest sin for me is the suck it up and wait for the rest of the game live service model. I'll never buy a game like that any more.

Some of the missing events I think should have been added at this point for race cars if PD was to follow through, at this point would have expected also endurance races (more than 1 hour) to include Circuit de La Sarthe,
Circuit de Spa Francorchamps, Daytona International Speedway, Mount Panorama
200% agree with this, and I'll add that to compete with Gr2s you should need license iA, and license S for Gr1s

and the race rewards should be at least the same as Tokyo 600 for each event in Gr2 series, and much better for Gr1 series, plus a nice gift if you win the championship (like a Gr car from the serie you've won or big cash)

reminds me of some old game I can't quite put a name on... 😅

The'll shut it down like 5 years after GT8 releases.

By that time for sure you won't want to play GT7.

Not that big of a deal that is always online required.
How do you know when they will shut it down? Is there anything to suggest it or are you just making things up? GT5 and GT6 servers were both shutdown just months after the subsequent game was released.

I still play GT5 sometimes, that would be impossible with an always online requirement. Not that GT7 has any replay value at all, but hypothetically if it was a good game it would be a big shame to lose it forever.

However, purchasing a video game has never been about purchasing a physical product, you've never actually owned the game, only a license to use it. The same goes for purchasing movies be it on VHS, Betamax, DVD, Blu-Ray or digitally.
That's not really true or accurate. For starters sometimes it very much is about purchasing a physical product, special or limited editions for example, buying things for the sake of completeness, just choosing to buy a physical copy of something so you can look at it on your shelf. I've both bought and kept media I cannot or can no longer use because I want to have that thing. Not everybody values these things, but plenty of people do, you cannot say it's 'never' been about purchasing a physical product.

Also, though in one respect you're right - buying a copy of a game/film/album doesn't give you title to the IP itself - the media very much is yours if you bought it legally. The license to use it within the scope of terms and conditions is implied by IP law and provided you don't break that law owning the media is functionally no different to 'owning the game/film/album' as the ability to use it is effectively irrevocable.

In principle, it's unfortunate that the industry is moving this way, but for me personally it's not really at the point where it's an issue. I'm old enough to have bought into, and watched die, various formats of physical media, and watched new proprietary formats come, and then get replaced. I've bought new (and in most cases still own) vinyl records, Betamax videos, audio cassettes, VHS videos, CD's, Laserdiscs, Digital-8, MiniDV, DVD's, Mini-Discs, Blu-Rays, Spectrum 128k games, C64 games, Megadrive games, PS games, PS2 games, PSP games, PS3 games, PS4 games and PS5 games... (I've also used and sold various other formats that I never bought into personally) ... basically, I accept that in the real world there is far more to having access to media that I've bought, in perpetuity, than simply owning the media.

While it probably is within my capacity to obtain the technology to use all of these formats again, there is a point where the expense and impracticality outweigh the benefits and those media items are effectively dead. In this era, it's the companies that make the decision on when that point comes... I accept that's worse than me deciding when I let something cease, but in practice I suspect for the majority of people it never really becomes an issue.

How do you know when they will shut it down? Is there anything to suggest it or are you just making things up? GT5 and GT6 servers were both shutdown just months after the subsequent game was released.

I still play GT5 sometimes, that would be impossible with an always online requirement. Not that GT7 has any replay value at all, but hypothetically if it was a good game it would be a big shame to lose it forever.
It's just my assumption that it will be 5 years, maybe less but still almost everyone will move to GT8 anyway.

It's been a year since GT7 launch and GTS is still available

I think there were reports that some some modders (@Nenkai ?) found a switch in the ps4 version of gt 7 that makes it possibe to run the game offline. My guess is that pd would release a last update where this switch is enabled before turning the servers off.

The best thing so far has been the engine ticket glitch.
can never be overstated - after months of spinning the wheel for the lowest possible prize, getting to collect free stuff during that period was a blast. getting to put together the locked engine parts, etc, renewed the game for a lot of people. i truly feel for anyone who missed out - especially as they continue to provide new cars for my 500 engines to go into.

unfortunately, it also made 'drive le mans 30 minutes twice a day' feel pretty tedious afterwards.

"Always online" isn't such a big deal anymore because most people have access to an internet connection these days.
You are obviously amongst the "most", so that aspect for you, is not a problem. Still doesn't help if their servers go down now, or in the future. 🙄

I don't mind it. Even if your main connection goes down, you've still got phones for hot-spotting.
Again, if the servers are not working, hot spot all you like, there'll be little to no game to play.

The'll shut it down like 5 years after GT8 releases.
Thanks for the confirmed insider info! 👍:)

It's just my assumption that it will be 5 years, maybe less but still almost everyone will move to GT8 anyway.

What! You mean you have no idea what they will do! 😲 :grumpy:

By that time for sure you won't want to play GT7.

Not that big of a deal that is always online required.
You may not want to play GT7 at that point, but you are one amongst millions of users. Even if a small % of users wish to carry on playing GT7 (or GT Sport for that matter), that could be 10's, 100's of thousands, or even millions who may wish to carry on playing the game after GT8 were to appear.

The online aspect of GT7 (and GT Sport) is one part of the multiple problems people have with this game. The claim by PD of going back to the old GT game style with GT7 just hasn't materialised for me. For a lot of people, the offline racing/career parts of the game are major disappointments, and like GT Sport, is a game lacking depth. And seeing as this was supposed to be a much larger game than GT Sport, it disappoints more.

It can have a lot of depth added without needing new cars or tracks, by being creative with championships, longer races etc, but they just leave it to wither. Again, imho.

The main reason why I've bounced off of GT7 quite a bit compared to GTS is purely the difficulty of obtaining cars I want to drive. I was spoiled by GT Sport's carousel that gave you a car per day (instead of the 10,000 credits in GT7 I seem to always get). I just don't want to grind that hard for cars. I grind in my real life. When I play GT I want to race and just enjoy driving some cars I'll probably never have a chance to drive. I thought that Kaz wanted everyone to feel the joy of driving, and yet GT7 feels like it wants to constantly remind us that we're not super rich and can't afford most of these cars selling in auction houses. I don't need a painful dose of simulated capitalism in my racing games.
This. I feel same way. If I have to work to get money, I will do it in real life, not in GT7. I think the game should be designed to you get the cars in a more "natural" way, progressing as game play goes on. Not hiding some of them behind prohibitive prices, or other FOMO mechanics, in order to make you buy creditis with real money, or doing boring grinding to obtain them. I could elaborate more, but the basic idea is that...

Great game, but wasted its potential. If the career, economy and races were better designed, it could be the best game in the series. IMO, of course.

Last edited:
That's not really true or accurate. For starters sometimes it very much is about purchasing a physical product, special or limited editions for example, buying things for the sake of completeness, just choosing to buy a physical copy of something so you can look at it on your shelf. I've both bought and kept media I cannot or can no longer use because I want to have that thing. Not everybody values these things, but plenty of people do, you cannot say it's 'never' been about purchasing a physical product.

Also, though in one respect you're right - buying a copy of a game/film/album doesn't give you title to the IP itself - the media very much is yours if you bought it legally. The license to use it within the scope of terms and conditions is implied by IP law and provided you don't break that law owning the media is functionally no different to 'owning the game/film/album' as the ability to use it is effectively irrevocable.
I totally understand your point but it's not really what I was getting at. I agree that some people desire having something physical that they can see and put on display. I used to be a sucker for special edition DVD's and box sets I had over 1000 back in the early 2000's, but the point I was making was not about owning the box or any special items that came with it, but the actual data on the disc, cartridge, tape etc. That is the part you don't own. In practical terms I do agree that your right to use it makes little difference to owninng it outright as long as you use it as intended, as you stated.

I'd like them to innovate in some way, to you know, earn the money they're making, ;) but that would be a start, and a massive addition and improvement to what's there now. :)
My hopes and dreams are not that high regarding PD 😅 but yeah it would be great too.

To everyone complaining about online only, where were you when we were complaining 25 years ago about the legality of purchasing a video game as a physical product vs purchasing an end user license agreement to use the software that it turned into?

This is exactly the end result we were screaming about back then to deaf ears at the time. You all deserve to own nothing you purchase and not complain about it… the time to complain about it came and passed decades ago.

This is the world you people choose, deal with it
The whole online only thing completely baffles me why people would care. But then living in the UK and being connected to the internet via multiple providers simultaneously I guess it never occurred to me that connect to the internet might not be a possibility.

Also how can you really “own” a game. It’s just a bunch on 0101010s

These cars don’t actually exist - they’re not real.

As some one who is nudging 40 I now no longer own any physical media. I couldn’t even give my DVDs away the charity shops didn’t want them

Last edited:
Also how can you really “own” a game. It’s just a bunch on 0101010s

These cars don’t actually exist - they’re not real.
If you can find a copy of GT4, for example, you can pop it into your PS2 and play 100% of it today or tomorrow or in a year or 10 years from now if you so wished (assuming of course the disc and console are in working condition). That's how you "own" a game. Sony/PD can't physically remove the existence of that copy of GT4 and deny you access/resale after the fact.

You won't be able to do that with GT7 once it's delisted and the servers are pulled off life support. Why anybody would want to is a different matter.

Last edited:
If you can find a copy of GT4, for example, you can pop it into your PS2 and play 100% of it today or tomorrow or in a year or 10 years from now if you so wished (assuming of course the disc and console are in working condition). That's how you "own" a game. Sony/PD can't physically remove the existence of that copy of GT4 and deny you access/resale after the fact.

You won't be able to do that with GT7 once it's delisted and the servers are pulled off life support. Why anybody would want to is a different matter.
That is true. I actually got my GT4 out the other day as I had a hankering to drive Citta di Aria… alas I no long own a tv that supports PS2

There are plenty of HDMI adapters specifically designed for the PS2.
Yes I quick Amazon search I did yesterday found some so maybe at the end of the month I’ll get one and hope my memory card hasn’t died in the last 5 years - otherwise I’ll have to search Amazon for one of those too!

Hooray, we're having this discussion again when GTS has been found to have a offline saving toggle for when service ends, and we have no reason to believe that GT7 will be killed off when such a feature already exists in Sport!

Rejoice!

Last edited:
That is true. I actually got my GT4 out the other day as I had a hankering to drive Citta di Aria… alas I no long own a tv that supports PS2
I haven't tried one, but there are unofficial PS2 HDMI cables out there.
_________

I've loved the driving experience in GT7, fantastic handling, but the single player campaign is a write-off, it can't be fixed by sprinkling five more events on it per month.

The best case scenario would be a GT League where the real game starts, with loads of events and championships for IB, IA and S license holders, maybe even sorted by series, rather than track.

However, that would take at least three people several months to make, so maybe we can just hope for at least one more high-paying repeatable event to be added in April, to mark the end of one year of "mechanically(...) replaying certain events over and over".

:confused:

This is entirely speculation and irrational fear mongering; you have no idea if PD will release a "hey, there's no more servers to try to connect to, so don't try" patch whenever they're ready to move on from GT7. They haven't taken GTS offline yet; once they do, how they handle that will be a much clearer indication of the future of GT7.

Yes, because a singleplayer career structure is reflective of them enabling offline saving?

This fear mongering is nonsense.
A singleplayer career will be directly impacted if offline saving isn't enabled. But my point was just because a feature was in GTS doesn't automatically mean it'll end up implemented in GT7, no matter how similar the games are (especially a "feature" that's only datamined and not confirmed).

It's like looking at GTS's post launch support and expecting GT7 to match it in content.

Last edited:
A singleplayer career will be directly impacted if offline saving isn't enabled. But my point was just because a feature was in GTS doesn't automatically mean it'll end up implemented in GT7, no matter how similar the games are (especially a "feature" that's only datamined and not confirmed).

It's like looking at GTS's post launch support and expecting GT7 to match it in content.
Nor does it mean that the feature definitely won't be in GT7. Anyone saying today, definitively, that "GT7 will not be playable when the servers go offline" is stating an assumption that has equal change of not being true.

Back