Gran Turismo 7: One Year Later...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 219 comments
It's simply the best. Driving, listening menu music, race music, sounds, landscapes, day, night, events, cars, tracks, rain, wind, mist, race strategy, car settings, liveries, the beauty in menus, the beauty in races, the beauty of the game intro, The Beauty with capital letters. CONGRATULATIONS, we are waiting excited for the endurance races, thanks Kaz.
Why does this read like a bot comment

My scores...

Graphics - 8.5
Sounds - 8.5
Campaign - 5
Sport mode - 8
Menus - 9
Physics - 8
Force feedback - 6
Photo mode - 10
Tasks - 6
Cars - 9
Circuits - 8

7.8 / 10

I played from day 1. Nice handling model, nice sounds, nice circuits, beautiful game.
But not driving simulator.
Same cars, same circuits, nothing news.
No tasks, except when update is coming, that is 2-3 hours, and thats it.
Forza 7 has more tasks even after 6 years! GT has bad game structure, but as I said, its beautiful game and good to play
...but still boring :DDDDD

Graphics - 8.5
try a custom race on daytona tri oval with the same make cars and look what happens on the ps5 when 5 or more cars drive very closely :D

Edit: clarification what system

Last edited:
My scores...

Graphics - 8.5
Sounds - 8.5
Campaign - 5
Sport mode - 8
Menus - 9
Physics - 8
Force feedback - 6
Photo mode - 10
Tasks - 6
Cars - 9
Circuits - 8

7.8 / 10

I played from day 1. Nice handling model, nice sounds, nice circuits, beautiful game.
But not driving simulator.
Same cars, same circuits, nothing news.
No tasks, except when update is coming, that is 2-3 hours, and thats it.
Forza 7 has more tasks even after 6 years! GT has bad game structure, but as I said, its beautiful game and good to play
...but still boring :DDDDD
I only have 5 months with the game and in that time close to 500 hours over 400 cars collected and have enjoy my time with the game even if it doesn't let me buy the fxxk. :(

My scores from what I have experience in my time with the game.

Graphics - 9
Sounds - 9
Campaign - 3
Sport mode - ? I don't play online.
Menus - 4 Needs short cuts
Physics - 9
Force feedback - ? Don't have a wheel.
Photo mode - 10
Tasks -
Cars - 7 Not enough today cars.
Circuits - 7 More classic tracks are needed.
Livery Editor - 10

Overall I give gt7 7.5/10

You forgot the aspect that the game is entirely online only. Unable to be played without internet connectivity...
Anybody who played GT5, GT6 and waited through GT Sport is disappointed 😞, the game is GT Sport 2, not GT 7. Most people enjoying the game came from GT Sport and was waiting for that upgrade. It's a great game bit I hate being tethered to the internet for permission to use my game. New Kids don't seem to mind though.

Anybody who played GT5, GT6 and waited through GT Sport is disappointed 😞, the game is GT Sport 2, not GT 7. Most people enjoying the game came from GT Sport and was waiting for that upgrade. It's a great game bit I hate being tethered to the internet for permission to use my game. New Kids don't seem to mind though.
311 million people in the United States have access to the internet, Current population is 336 million,
Best its time to join the modern world its not 1994 anymore...

Last edited:
311 million people in the United States have access to the internet, Current population is 336 million,
Best its time to join the modern world its not 1994 anymore...

What has the number of people in the USA, or even the World, with an internet connection, got to do with a game being virtually unusable without an internet connection. 🤔

What will that have to do with anything in the future if PD/Sony turn off the servers running the game, and then no game! 🙄 Won't matter if the whole world has an internet connection, there will be no game to play. :banghead:

Other than the probably BS claim that it stops cheating in online races, (and most users do not play online races btw) what benefit does the user get for buying a game that is unusable without an internet connection, and will disappear at some point in the future? 🤔

What has the number of people in the USA, or even the World, with an internet connection, got to do with a game being virtually unusable without an internet connection. 🤔

What will that have to do with anything in the future if PD/Sony turn off the servers running the game, and then no game! 🙄 Won't matter if the whole world has an internet connection, there will be no game to play. :banghead:

Other than the probably BS claim that it stops cheating in online races, (and most users do not play online races btw) what benefit does the user get for buying a game that is unusable without an internet connection, and will disappear at some point in the future? 🤔
Technology… join it or get left behind…

Exactly, there is no problem, until there is. If they close the servers tomorrow, you cannot play your game again. The more games they do this with the more control they have on new releases and how long a game will stay playable.

The point is, not technology it is understanding that you are at the mercy of that company to use the product. It no longer belongs to you. That gives a lot of power to the company and nothing to the consumer... I appreciate your point but I don't think you are seeing the big picture.

A good non-answer I see. If I created a game that accessed all of the devices on your network and sent audio and video recordings back to myself and people complained, would that also be a case of join it or get left behind?

Technology is only worth joining if it's beneficial, if everyone jumps on board and it's actually detrimental, then unless there is no choice due to other circumstances/influences, then you're nothing but blind sheep being led to the slaughter.

There is an argument for a game being always online, there's an argument against it too. How beneficial it is will be on a game by game basis. But if you're interested in discussing the issue you need to actually provide a reasonable response.

On the comment from @redhed17, GT7 can save locally, that's been discovered. It's a simple value in the game that needs changing. We don't have any guarentee that will be changed, but it would be reasonable that it would. We probably would lose access to certain features though beyond just racing online.

Last edited:
One big aspect of always online, and in theory a benefit to the player, is they can track how people play single player and the game as a whole down to extreme detail. Exactly how much they track I don't know, but in theory they can learn a lot that can benefit future updates and games. Remains to be seen if they do anything good with the data for the players. Of course they can just use this to benefit themselves and their revenue generation model, but in theory there should be an overlap in that making players enjoy and play the game more should also benefit PD. But their microtransaction and revenue model is a complete flop in this game, so I'm guessing they will be doing a lot of work on 'improving' that for gt8. Then it remains to be seen if they make gt7 playable offline after gt8 releases, or if they just shut the game down to force people over to gt8 like real scumbags.

I think a big reason they haven't added in more single player content is because they have numbers showing the vast majority of players are nowhere close to 'finishing' the content already there, so it's just not a priority for them.

Hopefully they have someone capable looking at the stats, but I also worry they use them incorrectly. For example they might see that no one really plays split screen, so they haven't made fixing it a priority. But maybe the reason no one is playing it is cause it's still broken a year after release. But surely not even PD are that incompetent, and there's actually some other legitimate reason why they haven't fixed it.

Yet I bet you are the kind of person that would be the first to stamp your feet and jump up and down and complain why the game is 'always online' for single player if there is another issue that takes the game out for multiple days making it unplayable...

One big aspect of always online, and in theory a benefit to the player, is they can track how people play single player and the game as a whole down to extreme detail. Exactly how much they track I don't know, but in theory they can learn a lot that can benefit future updates and games. Remains to be seen if they do anything good with the data for the players. Of course they can just use this to benefit themselves and their revenue generation model, but in theory there should be an overlap in that making players enjoy and play the game more should also benefit PD. But their microtransaction and revenue model is a complete flop in this game, so I'm guessing they will be doing a lot of work on 'improving' that for gt8. Then it remains to be seen if they make gt7 playable offline after gt8 releases, or if they just shut the game down to force people over to gt8 like real scumbags.

I think a big reason they haven't added in more single player content is because they have numbers showing the vast majority of players are nowhere close to 'finishing' the content already there, so it's just not a priority for them.

Hopefully they have someone capable looking at the stats, but I also worry they use them incorrectly. For example they might see that no one really plays split screen, so they haven't made fixing it a priority. But maybe the reason no one is playing it is cause it's still broken a year after release. But surely not even PD are that incompetent, and there's actually some other legitimate reason why they haven't fixed it.
Interesting points. I never got into GT Sport because it was online only. Wasn't interested. Online only games like WOW and such build onto the game you purchased. Online games like GT Sport only have a small window where they allow you to play it. I was so hoping for GT6 upgraded... instead of GT Sport 2. But many people playing now have always had internet and don't see the long term issues this brings to the consumer. I'm really mad that it is online only and a amazing game that has a huge potential.

This is possible without making the game require online to be played. You simply record that data and then feed it to the servers once the game is connected to the internet. You'll get the same amount of data without messing with the single player experience. You may get players who don't have an internet connection or who don't connect their console but those people aren't playing GT7 as it is.
I'm far more pessimistic than this, they acknowledged that players complained of the repetitive grind almost a year ago but have done relatively little to change it since. All the evidence suggests it's a conscious decision and they've modelled the game and sale of MTX's against the way it is.
They simply don't care, it's not stopping people buying the game therefore it's not an issue from their perspective. That's my take anyway. You can apply my last two points to the tickets, engine swaps, special parts etc.

It all comes back around to GT7 not being a bad game but it's a terrible missed opportunity for me as a single player gamer with no interest in racing online.

Last edited:
To everyone complaining about online only, where were you when we were complaining 25 years ago about the legality of purchasing a video game as a physical product vs purchasing an end user license agreement to use the software that it turned into?

This is exactly the end result we were screaming about back then to deaf ears at the time. You all deserve to own nothing you purchase and not complain about it… the time to complain about it came and passed decades ago.

This is the world you people choose, deal with it

To everyone complaining about online only, where were you when we were complaining 25 years ago about the legality of purchasing a video game as a physical product vs purchasing an end user license agreement to use the software that it turned into?

This is exactly the end result we were screaming about back then to deaf ears at the time. You all deserve to own nothing you purchase and not complain about it… the time to complain about it came and passed decades ago.

Not sure how this post drives the conversation forward either but given I was 15 back then and didn't have an internet connection I will forgive myself for not being involved in that crusade. However, purchasing a video game has never been about purchasing a physical product, you've never actually owned the game, only a license to use it. The same goes for purchasing movies be it on VHS, Betamax, DVD, Blu-Ray or digitally.

I do agree that a lot of modern trends are anti-consumer in nature, but people en-masse have blindly flocked to the convenience without consideration of the wider picture. It is not the world I chose though, so speak for yourself there.

Last edited:
Not sure how this post drives the conversation forward either….

It’s not, I am purposefully utilizing the same exact tactic of discounting anyone who disagrees with my rhetorical point as someone who inflicted thier own disagreement upon themselves.

The same exact thing as going into a thread about how one of the best selling games in the whole world in 2022 is doing a year on and derailing the discourse with “but it’s online only so it sucks” doesn’t move the discussion forward, but at least my rhetorical statement ends the derailing so the actual discourse may continue.

Which I’d add to the thread topic the gameplay is still as amazing as day 1. But the roulette, credit payouts, invites, LCD and UCD all make me hate this game almost equally as passionately. If not for the engine bonanza and the opened all invites cause the game was down a day incident, I would not play GT7.

Last edited:

Lol, most of these kids are the ones not complaining. They don't understand what they are giving up. We no longer own the game we purchase.

This is possible without making the game require online to be played. You simply record that data and then feed it to the servers once the game is connected to the internet. You'll get the same amount of data without messing with the single player experience. You may get players who don't have an internet connection or who don't connect their console but those people aren't playing GT7 as it is.

I'm far more pessimistic than this, they acknowledged that players complained of the repetitive grind almost a year ago but have done relatively little to change it since. All the evidence suggests it's a conscious decision and they've modelled the game and sale of MTX's against the way it is.

They simply don't care, it's not stopping people buying the game therefore it's not an issue from their perspective. That's my take anyway. You can apply my last two points to the tickets, engine swaps, special parts etc.

It all comes back around to GT7 not being a bad game but it's a terrible missed opportunity for me as a single player gamer with no interest in racing online.
Exactly how I feel.

Yeah you can certainly get analytics without always online, but from my (granted, somewhat limited) exposure to big data systems it's usually beneficial both from a data, code and infrastructure perspective to deal with always online systems.

That said it's definitely not the main reason, and maybe even not a reason at all, compared to things like stopping editing of game files to get credits/cars and gaining access to new cars/tracks that are in the latest build but not publicly available, and stopping cheating in online races, as well as for single player leaderboards (which many probably don't care for either).

So while I understand the concerns people have with always online, reality is for me it has personally never been an issue except for that one time soon after launch. For people with limited access to the internet I definitely understand why it's an issue, but that's just a tiny minority nowadays. Time will tell whether they make it playable offline in the future. But for now, I can at least understand why they've gone for an always online game, and don't think it is purely out of spite or to squeeze a few more coins out of people.

Definitely agree GT7 could be a better game that it is though. Even their offline mode seems to just be underdeveloped. From memory as long as you favourite your cars you can actually drive them on any track offline.

Do you think we weren't also complaining about that too at the time? And about every anti-consumer shift in the medium? But enough people dismissed it as a non-issue and now we're here.

Some of the missing events I think should have been added at this point for race cars if PD was to follow through, at this point would have expected also endurance races (more than 1 hour) to include Circuit de La Sarthe,
Circuit de Spa Francorchamps, Daytona International Speedway, Mount Panorama

Unfortunately just a sprinkling of events here and there

GR.1 Prototype Series
Circuit de La Sarthe (7 Laps)
Circuit de Spa Francorchamps (10 Laps)
Autodromo Nazionale Monza (10 laps)
Autodromo de Interlagos (10 laps)

GR.2 Series (Supercar)
Fuji International Speedway (10 Laps)
Suzuka Circuit (10 laps)
Autopolis International Raceway (10 laps)
Tsukuba Circuit (15 laps)

World Touring Car 800
Nurburgring GP (10 Laps)
Nurburgring 24H (30 Minutes) Day into Night
Brand Hatch (10 Laps)
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca (10 laps)
Autodromo de Interlagos (10 laps)
Road Atlanta (10 Laps)
Mount Panorama (10 Laps)
Autopolis International Raceway (10 laps)
Red Bull Ring (10 Laps)

Back