Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
No. When we go on a new direction, we have to follow things through.

If you want to play alone, there is arcade mode and campaign mode.

You don't work for PD. You do not know what they will do. Please stop posting as if you do, for all you know they can have a complete change of plan. It's not like they don't have precedent.

Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed the full version of Gran Turismo HD was scheduled for a December 2007 release in Japan.[7] Among the planned contents he introduced an "iTunes-like" download service and various download packs including additional cars and tracks, advanced AI or car damage, all of which being compatible with the future Gran Turismo 5.

In November 2006, shortly before the release of Gran Turismo HD Concept v2.0, Polyphony Digital director Kazunori Yamauchi officially announced a "revision" in the "product strategy": "Gran Turismo 5 will be given priority".[4] Polyphony Digital chose to abandon the planned full version named Gran Turismo HD, which was previously announced as Vision Gran Turismo at the E3 2005 and was first displayed during the Tokyo Game Show 2006 and was scheduled for a 2007 worldwide release[3] to focus on developing Gran Turismo 5 instead.

Have you all received the pre-order cancellation Email now. I am not sure I will pre-order again next year and I will wait for more details and it going gold at least but will look forward to the deluxe version unless this all changes and car packs change? Who knows.

"Thank you for pre-ordering Gran Turismo Sport from PlayStation®Store.

On 30th August 2016 we regrettably announced that the release of Gran Turismo Sport has been delayed until 2017. We do not have a new release date at this time. We have, therefore, decided to cancel your pre-order and refund your pre-order payment. This refund may take up to 7-10 days to be processed. Please keep a record of this message for future reference.

We’ll refund the full purchase price to the payment method used to top up your wallet for the transaction unless:

- you had any funds in your wallet already, in which case that part of the purchase price will be credited to your wallet; or

- you used PaySafe, a voucher code or mobile phone billing to top up your wallet, in which case the full purchase price will be credited to your wallet.

Once we have a new release date for Gran Turismo Sport we will offer a revised pre-order for it on the PlayStation®Store at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you for your custom and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Last edited:
Have you all received the pre-order cancellation Email now. I am not sure I will pre-order again next year and I will wait for more details and it going gold at least but will look forward to the deluxe version unless this all changes and car packs change? Who knows.

"Thank you for pre-ordering Gran Turismo Sport from PlayStation®Store.

On 30th August 2016 we regrettably announced that the release of Gran Turismo Sport has been delayed until 2017. We do not have a new release date at this time. We have, therefore, decided to cancel your pre-order and refund your pre-order payment. This refund may take up to 7-10 days to be processed. Please keep a record of this message for future reference.

We’ll refund the full purchase price to the payment method used to top up your wallet for the transaction unless:

- you had any funds in your wallet already, in which case that part of the purchase price will be credited to your wallet; or

- you used PaySafe, a voucher code or mobile phone billing to top up your wallet, in which case the full purchase price will be credited to your wallet.

Once we have a new release date for Gran Turismo Sport we will offer a revised pre-order for it on the PlayStation®Store at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you for your custom and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."
Someone had a screenshot in this thread. God knows what page it's on.

We do cover the world of Gran Turismo though. Won't find many outlets publicizing that a single car appeared in a random off-screen photo of GT Sport - never mind 300 words on that singular subject. :lol:

Hell, some outlets didn't even report the massive delay.

Our choice of covering multiple games/sims is not a dilution of our Gran Turismo coverage.
:D

In serious note though, thats like calling The Verge an Apple news source. It does covering Apple products, sometimes in depth even. But its still not even solely focus on them. Looking at GTP news content nowadays it seems like it is.

One mans opinion. Maybe its a cultural thing i passed out.

Last time I check, this thread has 578 posts.

For a delay.

"Good job guys".
Long live PC port then. I also predict that Gran Turismo could disappear completely and Forza to become multiplatform if Sony doesn't want to become the platform without the GT styled racing game. I'm sure they'll be willing to pay the bill if GT Sport is going to be a major flop (which I predict), otherwise GT will have no reason to exist anymore.

Interesting listening to the first 10 mins of the VVV podcast where they discuss the delay. Echoes quite a few of the discussions we have had here.

Long live PC port then. I also predict that Gran Turismo could disappear completely and Forza to become multiplatform if Sony doesn't want to become the platform without the GT styled racing game. I'm sure they'll be willing to pay the bill if GT Sport is going to be a major flop (which I predict), otherwise GT will have no reason to exist anymore.
Optimism^^ From a factual point of view, GT is now far behind its competitors but for me I have an irrational view of GT. I know it's not so good, though I will buy it because there is something different. GT is now a weird product and I find in this game maybe not the best physics, graphics or sounds but something that I don't find elsewhere.

I went through this all over again with a game called No Man's Sky, which I've been playing avidly since its release. It was a game that was hyped all out of reason because, even though the head of Hello Games Sean Murray gave tons of interviews about it, and showed off quite a bit of gameplay, so we had a solid idea what we were getting, people were sure the game would be all about shopping in exotic alien cities and space combat with epic war fleets and romancing alien cat women and whatever they dreamed up. When in actuality, you are alone in an alien galaxy just trying to keep your ship fueled and suit powered long enough to make it to the next star system.

But of course, people made up in their collective head what No Man's Sky was supposed to be, on top of a few missing features that weren't exactly what I consider deal breakers but what do I know, and when they didn't get that game, thousands of people threw a collective epical fit. Trashed the game, demanded refunds, probably made more death threats - which they did when it was delayed, you name it.

And the rest of us are playing the game right along and enjoying the heck out of it. In my case, I'm STILL exploring my adopted overheated home world, learning all the language of the Vy'keen race which have evidently claimed it before, making a few discoveries and snarfing up resources to buy my ideal ship, and generally having a blast.

It reminds me of the situation Gran Turismo finds itself in. It has a rather unique approach to racing games - until Forza copied the formula anyhow - and established itself as a quirky but enjoyable racer. In fact, the most popular racing franchise of all time.

And then the Entitlement Age struck the planet, and disappointment over one thing or another quickly became outrage and endless flaming and the occasional threats of violence. And most people are baffled by this or even blissfully unaware, and continue enjoying Gran Turismo, even though they didn't get the memo that GT5 and 6 are the worst racing games ever made, Kazunori is a rich insensitive jerk who won't talk to his fans and whatever.

So here we are with the usual grouchfest over GT Sport and its delay, even though the usual complaints about the game rage, and the delay may well fix a few of the issues they complain about. In the case of No Man's Sky, the nearly two month delay did result in some nice improvements to the game, some new goodies which were greatly appreciated. I very much applaud the doubling of storage space, thank God! And more improvements are in the pipeline. Likewise, Kazunori has said that the delay is to make GT Sport the Gran Turismo game he wants to make, and given his track record of making platinum sellers, and how good the game looks and is being reviewed even now, it's whetting my appetite even more for the game we'll eventually be playing. Yes, the nets are on fire about it, like that's news. Who cares. I and my millions of fellow fans will wait for it. Maybe impatiently, but we won't be trolling or making threats about it.

I keep returning to that "awful" GT6 when the competition is pretty stiff, with games like Assetto Corsa and RaceRoom on offer, because Gran Turismo just has something about it that is unique. I'm hardly alone on this, as even some people who race in real life are fans. I suspect that it's going to be even more true with GT Sport.

Kaz, when the time is right and the game is tight, BRING IT!

I went through this all over again with a game called No Man's Sky, which I've been playing avidly since its release. It was a game that was hyped all out of reason because, even though the head of Hello Games Sean Murray gave tons of interviews about it, and showed off quite a bit of gameplay, so we had a solid idea what we were getting, people were sure the game would be all about shopping in exotic alien cities and space combat with epic war fleets and romancing alien cat women and whatever they dreamed up. When in actuality, you are alone in an alien galaxy just trying to keep your ship fueled and suit powered long enough to make it to the next star system.

But of course, people made up in their collective head what No Man's Sky was supposed to be, on top of a few missing features that weren't exactly what I consider deal breakers but what do I know, and when they didn't get that game, thousands of people threw a collective epical fit. Trashed the game, demanded refunds, probably made more death threats - which they did when it was delayed, you name it.

And the rest of us are playing the game right along and enjoying the heck out of it. In my case, I'm STILL exploring my adopted overheated home world, learning all the language of the Vy'keen race which have evidently claimed it before, making a few discoveries and snarfing up resources to buy my ideal ship, and generally having a blast.

It reminds me of the situation Gran Turismo finds itself in. It has a rather unique approach to racing games - until Forza copied the formula anyhow - and established itself as a quirky but enjoyable racer. In fact, the most popular racing franchise of all time.

And then the Entitlement Age struck the planet, and disappointment over one thing or another quickly became outrage and endless flaming and the occasional threats of violence. And most people are baffled by this or even blissfully unaware, and continue enjoying Gran Turismo, even though they didn't get the memo that GT5 and 6 are the worst racing games ever made, Kazunori is a rich insensitive jerk who won't talk to his fans and whatever.

So here we are with the usual grouchfest over GT Sport and its delay, even though the usual complaints about the game rage, and the delay may well fix a few of the issues they complain about. In the case of No Man's Sky, the nearly two month delay did result in some nice improvements to the game, some new goodies which were greatly appreciated. I very much applaud the doubling of storage space, thank God! And more improvements are in the pipeline. Likewise, Kazunori has said that the delay is to make GT Sport the Gran Turismo game he wants to make, and given his track record of making platinum sellers, and how good the game looks and is being reviewed even now, it's whetting my appetite even more for the game we'll eventually be playing. Yes, the nets are on fire about it, like that's news. Who cares. I and my millions of fellow fans will wait for it. Maybe impatiently, but we won't be trolling or making threats about it.

I keep returning to that "awful" GT6 when the competition is pretty stiff, with games like Assetto Corsa and RaceRoom on offer, because Gran Turismo just has something about it that is unique. I'm hardly alone on this, as even some people who race in real life are fans. I suspect that it's going to be even more true with GT Sport.

What's really 'entitled' is expecting longtime GT fans to shell out for another subpar title that's been stewing for too long.

Kaz, I look forward to seeing your game in the discount section.

It's always a bit odd how you approach a discussion as if the views and opinions of those that have a problem with something are unwarranted, as if to put yourself above others in the situation just because they express distaste for things that happened within the development of this title, and past ones. There is no issue with those that still enjoy the game. If that's what you feel, that's your right. I just don't feel why it would be necessary to come around and act like the people who don't enjoy the game seem foolish. That's what I feel you're implying from your general message and tone about it.

So here we are with the usual grouchfest over GT Sport and its delay, even though the usual complaints about the game rage, and the delay may well fix a few of the issues they complain about.
It may very well, it may not. So for now, it's perfectly reasonable to be bothered by the fact. If anything, they should now release a beta/demo, to atleast tide things over since that was stopped to apparently hit the deadline in the first place.

Yes, the nets are on fire about it, like that's news. Who cares. I and my millions of fellow fans will wait for it. Maybe impatiently, but we won't be trolling or making threats about it.
Maybe you missed it, but that is what has been going on, a lot, actually.

Are you being serious right now? You must be the biggest apologist I've ever come across. You want to know why people were disappointed and angry about NMS? Because Sean Murray straight up LIED about what the game was going to be. He repeatedly said that there will be multiplayer, that you will be able to meet other people and interact with them. He showed an epic space battle in one of the trailers. And no, that wasn't some early insider showing filmed with potato cam, it was E3. These two are the biggest ones that could legitimately be deal breakers for a lot of people, but there is also the smaller stuff, like sand planets, ringed planets, hacking doors, large fleets, asteroid, I could go on and on, but you should get the point. It's not about feeling entitled or expecting miracles. People were expecting exactly what Hello Games showed them and they didn't get it.

By the way, I'm not mad that you're enjoying the game. Anything can find its fans and that's ok. I'm mad about being a shill for anti-consumer companies.

And then the Entitlement Age struck the planet, and disappointment over one thing or another quickly became outrage and endless flaming and the occasional threats of violence.

(1) I honestly believe the outrage and flaming comes from those who have an incorrect perspective. It's ok to be disappointed with a delay on video game you were looking forward to. It's not ok to resort to threats of violence nor is it healthy to insult those who happen to like a certain product more than another. I said it earlier, and I will repeat here. These are video games we are talking about. Not life. Not death. But entertainment.

(2) Indeed. I have other games to play and things to do and although I would have wanted GT Sport to come out this year I will move on with life!

20 pages! It would appear all hell has broken out about this. I'm really disappointed because I want to play GT on my PS4. But the only disappointment is because I won't be able to for an unannounced additional amount of time, that's it. Games get delayed and it really doesn't bother me anymore, I'm still just as excited as I was. Looking forward to hearing what Kaz says in his next few interviews.
I will never be able to understand anyone who feels any joy whatsoever, for whatever reason when they read unfortunate news about GT. I think the worst thing about GT these days is reading these threads. Perhaps if you are one of the people who felt any warm fuzzy feelings on reading about the delay, you should maybe ask yourselves why having a right to post in here is a valid reason for doing so. But I doubt that will happen. My hunch is people just love irritating the hell out of others, cus why not, it's your right, right?

20 pages!
I know its a shockingly small number.

When GT5 was delayed the 20 page mark was hit within the day, and for the same period of time that thread was close to 50 pages in length.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt5-delayed.131389/page-20

Maybe its not as bad a reaction as it seems to you, or that a smaller number of people care that its been delayed.

It would appear all hell has broken out about this. I'm really disappointed because I want to play GT on my PS4. But the only disappointment is because I won't be able to for an unannounced additional amount of time, that's it. Games get delayed and it really doesn't bother me anymore, I'm still just as excited as I was. Looking forward to hearing what Kaz says in his next few interviews.
I will never be able to understand anyone who feels any joy whatsoever, for whatever reason when they read unfortunate news about GT. I think the worst thing about GT these days is reading these threads. Perhaps if you are one of the people who felt any warm fuzzy feelings on reading about the delay, you should maybe ask yourselves why having a right to post in here is a valid reason for doing so. But I doubt that will happen. My hunch is people just love irritating the hell out of others, cus why not, it's your right, right?
Odd as I've not seen anyone displaying joy about it, a resigned lack of surprise maybe, disappointment or a hope the extra time will be put to good use, but not joy.

The title will not change.

Stop expect GT7.

As others have said, you really need to stop making definitive statements about things you do not know. You've been warned about posting misleading information before.
In fact, the most popular racing franchise of all time.

Nope.

I see the time away has done nothing to temper your habit of using gross exaggeration to try and prove a point.

So here we are with the usual grouchfest over GT Sport and its delay, even though the usual complaints about the game rage, and the delay may well fix a few of the issues they complain about.

Are you implying people shouldn't be voicing their disappointment over a delay? A release date was revealed, and Polyphony even dropped the previously-promised public beta under the guise of ensuring the November release.

The delay might fix things. It also might not. GT5 was delayed numerous times and still launched with a fair amount of issues.

Likewise, Kazunori has said that the delay is to make GT Sport the Gran Turismo game he wants to make, and given his track record of making platinum sellers, and how good the game looks and is being reviewed even now, it's whetting my appetite even more for the game we'll eventually be playing. Yes, the nets are on fire about it, like that's news. Who cares. I and my millions of fellow fans will wait for it. Maybe impatiently, but we won't be trolling or making threats about it.

Er, he's said that about every GT game he's made. That's not anything new.

The game hasn't been reviewed. Because it's not out yet. There have been hands-on previews, and they've ranged from reasonably impressed to indifferent. A handful were outright negative after the London event, though some (like Eurogamer) changed their tune once improved builds were shown.

Don't speak on other peoples' behalf, especially when its to the tune of millions. You have no idea how many people will be waiting for or buying GT Sport; less than half the people that picked up GT5 bothered with GT6, after all.

I'm hardly alone on this, as even some people who race in real life are fans.

Amazingly, that can be true for just about any sim-oriented driving game on the market. GT? Yep. Forza? Yep. Assetto Corsa? Yep. Project CARS? Yep. iRacing? Yep.

That was a whole lot of words to come to the conclusion that games can have fans — rabid ones even — despite their flaws. In related news, the sky is blue.

One thing I didn't consider until now is that, even with the delay, GT is arguably in a decent position in terms of competition, even if it's released a year after it was originally intended. Assetto Corsa is definitely not a replacement for the traditional GT experience, as great as the physics are; it's too focused on a few aspects. Polyphony is reframing the game in more of a PCARS-like niche (or iRacing for consoles) with the focus on online racing and eSports. But what's the competition on PS4 look like? Afore-mentioned AC, F1 2016 (2017?), DiRT Rally (sadly lacking in post-release support), Driveclub VR?

There's also the game that most emulates the traditional GT experience: Forza Motorsport. If rumours are true, and FM7 is a Scorpio launch title in Autumn 2017, it and GT Sport will be compared by quite a lot of people. The T10 guys have over 600 car models in FM6 at last count, and a track list only really rivalled by PCARS on consoles. Realistically, nobody is going to catch their car numbers, so they could ease off the throttle (ha) in that regard, and start focusing on even more tracks, or other sim-racing features. I'd be surprised if the game doesn't have VR support. But it's all a mystery for now.

Where will the SMS guys be in a year, too? I imagine PCARS2 work is quite advanced at this point.

AC will offer a comparable car lineup by the time GT Sport releases (with Porsche included too), but it won't offer the game modes GT can. Though depending on how long the game is delayed, AC could be a very different proposition than what it is right now.

The same could be said of GT too, though. For all we know, the game will look massively different in a year, if that's how long the delay goes. Perhaps GT Sport will gain a proper offline career after so many people commented on that after the Copperbox event. We don't know.

2016 has provided a pretty bumper crop in terms of racing games. I'm very curious about how 2017 turns out.

Are you seriously using No Man's Sky as an example. Sean Murray literally told people there was mutilplayer, showcased footage that wasn't representative of the game and constantly made reference to features that weren't even present in the final release.

Seriously, you've set yourself up for criticism here. :lol:
http://onemanslie.info/the-original-reddit-post/

It's pretty sad having to wait around for years and hold on to that 1 franchise dearly, even though all it does it disappoint you time and time again. And to make things worse other folk are playing one great racing game after another out there in the meantime.

You'd almost think that being a loyal GT fan is some form of masochism.
So people who like what you don't are masochists.

Gotcha.

Your reading comprehension really sucks.
How else was I supposed to take "You'd almost think that being a loyal GT fan is some form of masochism"? I'm a loyal GT fan so according to mister dog, I'm also a masochist. Seems pretty black-and-white to me.

How else was I supposed to take "You'd almost think that being a loyal GT fan is some form of masochism"? I'm a loyal GT fan so according to mister dog, I'm also a masochist. Seems pretty black-and-white to me.
I think that's your problem. You take things far too personally. It would appear you think any criticism of GT is a direct attack on you. Has it even entered your head that those of us criticising are loyal GT fans as well, possibly even bigger fans than you?

Quick, tell me the difference between "You'd almost think that being a loyal GT fan is some form of masochism" and "Being a GT fan is a form of masochism".

Gold star to the first person!

Quick, tell me the difference between "You'd almost think that being a loyal GT fan is some form of masochism" and "Being a GT fan is a form of masochism".

Gold star to the first person!
The former is a "could be" kind of statement with no real certainty with likely hints of sarcasm. The latter is immediately direct and certainty.

I think that's your problem. You take things far too personally. It would appear you think any criticism of GT is a direct attack on you. Has it even entered your head that those of us criticising are loyal GT fans as well, possibly even bigger fans than you?
Well, that's how you see it, and that's OK. I just see it differently.

I know its a shockingly small number.

When GT5 was delayed the 20 page mark was hit within the day, and for the same period of time that thread was close to 50 pages in length.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt5-delayed.131389/page-20

Maybe its not as bad a reaction as it seems to you, or that a smaller number of people care that its been delayed.

Odd as I've not seen anyone displaying joy about it, a resigned lack of surprise maybe, disappointment or a hope the extra time will be put to good use, but not joy.

Obviously this is speculation on my part, but the lack of hits on this thread could be...
  • because it's not a big deal to the vast majority.
  • because it was completely expected.
  • because people have moved on from this franchise as the sole provider for racing games.
  • because racing video games are moving more and more towards niche genre.
  • because ??????
Regardless of why, I do find that bit of information very interesting.

Back