Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I have a question for the few tweakers that frequents this forum:

Do you know if the pop-up headlights affects the car's performance at high speeds in-game?

As in, I'm driving my AE86 at, say 180mph on Route X, and for some reason I decide to turn on the headlights, does the increased aerodynamic drag coming from the opened headlights makes the car slow down a little bit?(in this case, imagine that the car is doing 180mph but merely being able to maintain it)

It's just something I got a little curious about.

Should I forget getting the X2014? I've used enduro races and Tokyo Expressway wallride/rubberband trick to grind lately, and I'm thinking of getting both X2014 for grinding in general and X2019 for the final race of this season's Nations Cup.

Pardon the stupid question but my limited knowledge is preventing me from asking smart ones:

Why cant weather conditions be applied to all tracks with a switch of a button?

In my mind, if you create rain or snow or blizzard for one track, it's would be the same logic and code for another course no ?

What is the technical difficulty?

This is not like time changes would be different for each track due to the location.... And geography.... And even then if it was correctly implemented in the first place taking into accounts lattitude and longitude

Anyone can explain?

Pardon the stupid question but my limited knowledge is preventing me from asking smart ones:

In my mind, if you create rain or snow or blizzard for one track, it's would be the same logic and code for another course no ?

This is not like time changes would be different for each track due to the location.... And geography.... And even then if it was correctly implemented in the first place taking into accounts lattitude and longitude

Anyone can explain?

Performance-wise there would probably be various side-effects if this rain element was simply slapped onto every track like some filter. It needs optimization to ensure that frames per second aren’t negatively affected etc. I imagine it’s the same reason why every track has fixed time of day slots. They are basically striving to maximize eye candy without sacrificing performance. It’s one of the trade-off that enables GTS to look so otherwordly good.

I’m not sure if I’m having fun with Sport Mode anymore. I’m just so frustrated with too many things. There are so many parts of GTS - and the overall series proper - where I wanna ask why something can or cannot be done, as I have a lot of ideas/suggestions. For e

I don’t know why anyone even bothers with ranked multiplayer in videogames if it’s improbable they’ll get anywhere in an official tournament. We’re like fodder for whales in gatcha games. There’s nothing fun about losing all the time. So I think I’ll largely withdraw from Sport Mode and hopefully, it’ll be a load off my mind. **** this game.

If you want, I can go over my ideas/suggestions ITT, but I’d also prefer for you to name an aspect/section so i can start somewhere more specific.

Last edited:

Anyone can explain?

Weather and light system in GTS is not a real time simulation. Its a pre-baked raytracing.

"Baking a course like the Nürburgring — which the paper explains is 42GB of compressed data — is distributed to eight rendering servers with 40 CPU cores each. The 320 total cores can render lighting data for all 42GB in about 30 minutes."

Obviously the PS4 can not handle this system in real time. PD have managed to reduce rendering times tremendously with their in house solution.

My guess with rain is either the rendering system is producing some errors graphically (the lighting system did this as well before) or it was difficult for them to simulate rain and maintain performance.

PD also apparently only worked on it for 1 month so its early days.

Ww know PD made each Group based in the real world equivalents. The ill-logic started when Group C, the GT2 car, Megane, etc were placed in their now respective categories.

But I thought that Gr.1 was only defined by being for sports prototypes, not necessarily only for LMP1 cars and VGTs. We also already had a GTE car, the 911 RSR, in Gr.3 from day-zero, and GTE is the successor to GT2. As for the Megane, wasn't the Cayman GT4 CS and TT Cup already there, too? You can have a one-make series that uses a car that's otherwise eligible for GT4 or GT3. IIRC the Nurburgring 24h has separate categories for GT4 race cars that are part of the GT4 series proper, and another for GT4 cars that are from one-make series.

Cars like the 320i TC, would be closer in performance to the MX-5 TC as opposed to the 86, 4C and Scirocco.
The IS200 GT-1 would fit Gr.4. The Alfa 155 for sure fits Gr.4.
Look at the S2000 LM and Integra TC(not the RM version). The performance of those two fall in Gr.4 range.

I could see that, since they're relatively lightly modified.

The Blitz Drift car would be Gr.X.

Agreed. Though I'd like a "Gr.D" for drift cars like the BR-Z and the BP Falken RX-7 FC that was picked by PD from Tokyo Auto Salon.

Anyone can explain?
I would assume there are physics engine considerations as well. Different asphalt surfaces at each track would probably have different grip levels and characteristics in comparison to others in the rain. And then you'd have to take things like how curbs, gutters and turf are affected. Probably not as easy as simply saying turn rain on. I could be completely off base but that's my guess.

As an example, Nordschleife has 12 or thirteen different pave jobs over the course of one lap. Drivers during the VLN races and 2018 24 Hours have talked about how the grip level can change from one corner to the next because of that.

But I thought that Gr.1 was only defined by being for sports prototypes, not necessarily only for LMP1 cars and VGTs. We also already had a GTE car, the 911 RSR, in Gr.3 from day-zero, and GTE is the successor to GT2. As for the Megane, wasn't the Cayman GT4 CS and TT Cup already there, too? You can have a one-make series that uses a car that's otherwise eligible for GT4 or GT3. IIRC the Nurburgring 24h has separate categories for GT4 race cars that are part of the GT4 series proper, and another for GT4 cars that are from one-make series.

I could see that, since they're relatively lightly modified.

Agreed. Though I'd like a "Gr.D" for drift cars like the BR-Z and the BP Falken RX-7 FC that was picked by PD from Tokyo Auto Salon.
It's the performance of those vehicles. (leaving VGTs out of this discussion)A 1991 787B should not be running against a Porsche 919 Hybrid. Hey, it's fun in a game, but clearly we can see the performance gaps. Though, I have been competitive in the 787B at Tokyo Expressway. :D

The real Megane Trophy, is more in line with GT3 performance.

When GT4 first began, the FF TT was racing. The latest TT Cup car, is GT4 spec. However, recent GT4 regulations, only allow for rwd.

Sure, GTE/GT2 may be of the same relation, but there are already the M6s. Certainly, one of those could have been the GTE spec rather than add an old regulation car in the M3 GT2.
Also, PD modelling the C7 Gr.3 to look like the GTE car... maybe licensing issues with GM/Corvette Racing(?). I don't know.

Kaz had a vision for GT Sport. He probably strayed a bit from that, after the backlash from offline players. I just don't know. Maybe it was a plan to add these road cars over newer race cars.

Performance-wise there would probably be various side-effects if this rain element was simply slapped onto every track like some filter. It needs optimization to ensure that frames per second aren’t negatively affected etc. I imagine it’s the same reason why every track has fixed time of day slots. They are basically striving to maximize eye candy without sacrificing performance. It’s one of the trade-off that enables GTS to look so otherwordly good.
I seem to noticed this with the previous titles. The amount of rate dropped in FPS is vast, meaning the game would appear very laggy, especially when a race is watched through replay and the rain during the race is very strong. But since the PS4 is a more powerful console, handling that shouldn't be a problem anymore I guess.

I seem to noticed this with the previous titles. The amount of rate dropped in FPS is vast, meaning the game would appear very laggy, especially when a race is watched through replay and the rain during the race is very strong.

Yes, this was an issue in GT6 because the dynamic time system combined eith weather effects pushed the aging PS3 to the limit. Every little movement of the sun affected how everything looked on the track.

But since the PS4 is a more powerful console, handling that shouldn't be a problem anymore I guess.

GTS probably benefits from not having a dynamic system in place. I’m not sure how it would hold up if the pre-baked conditions were suddenly scrapped in favor of dynamic time change. Don’t forget the extra power of the PS4 is already being pushed by better physics, graphics, models, etc.

For now I just hope PD has managed to implement rain without sacrificing some existing strengths of the game.

I’m not sure if I’m having fun with Sport Mode anymore. I’m just so frustrated with too many things. There are so many parts of GTS - and the overall series proper - where I wanna ask why something can or cannot be done, as I have a lot of ideas/suggestions. For e

I don’t know why anyone even bothers with ranked multiplayer in videogames if it’s improbable they’ll get anywhere in an official tournament. We’re like fodder for whales in gatcha games. There’s nothing fun about losing all the time. So I think I’ll largely withdraw from Sport Mode and hopefully, it’ll be a load off my mind. **** this game.

If you want, I can go over my ideas/suggestions ITT, but I’d also prefer for you to name an aspect/section so i can start somewhere more specific.

I feel you man, I've barely bothered with Sport Mode save for the occasional FIA race and even then I can barely do that anymore because of my current college timetable. Just wish they could run the usual suspects less (Suzuka Gr.3/4, Interlagos Gr.3, Maggiore Gr.3, etc.) in favor of some more unique combos to spice things up.

A unique combo, would be offering two classes to choose from, for multi-class racing.

As a player enters a "Super GT" race, they pick which Group. Gr.2 or Gr.3. As the game is loading "Please wait", it will place players in races that have an even Grid of Gr.2 and Gr.3 cars.

Yes, this was an issue in GT6 because the dynamic time system combined eith weather effects pushed the aging PS3 to the limit. Every little movement of the sun affected how everything looked on the track.

GTS probably benefits from not having a dynamic system in place. I’m not sure how it would hold up if the pre-baked conditions were suddenly scrapped in favor of dynamic time change. Don’t forget the extra power of the PS4 is already being pushed by better physics, graphics, models, etc.

For now I just hope PD has managed to implement rain without sacrificing some existing strengths of the game.
Well, I guess the FPS drops under these conditions should be a thing of the past now.

They were also present as well in Dirt & Snow tracks, whenever cars run fast through them and is creating what seems to be like smoke that also impedes vision to those who are behind them. This is also an element of the game but seems to be exaggerated so it's hard to race when the circumstances are like that.

I feel you man, I've barely bothered with Sport Mode save for the occasional FIA race and even then I can barely do that anymore because of my current college timetable. Just wish they could run the usual suspects less (Suzuka Gr.3/4, Interlagos Gr.3, Maggiore Gr.3, etc.) in favor of some more unique combos to spice things up.

For me, it’s not even a lack of time. The whole thing is just too stressful, I’m seldom having fun, and I have bigger issues to worry about in my life right now. I feel like I’m always getting punished for improving, for one. My experience in Sport Mode feels more like that fable where this guy is cursed to keep pushing a rock up a hill, only for it to always roll down ad nauseum. And for what? A shot at some tourney? I could be working towards becoming an actual racer with the time I waste with this crap, no FIAGTC winner status required.

I have too many ideas/suggestions - for Sport Mode (whether in GTS or a future installment), and the broader GT series - for me to keep playing. I’m just not happy playing GTS anymore.

And so I’m done. Once again, eSports & ranked multiplayer have sucked the fun out of another game they have touched. I’d rather be “min-maxing” my own life, not a stupid game. Even in the context of being a racer, the FIAGTCs (or the World’s Fastest Gamer, etc.) hardly seem like the sole career pathway(s).

Last edited:
Did y’all know Polestar is making a VGT? I don’t know if this is old news or if it's fake but it looks pretty cool.
F8C25727-3799-4356-A965-9A36CE3AF1DF.jpeg

Edit: It’s a college project. Never mind :lol:

Why don't I ever hear some of the tracks that are supposedly part of GTS' soundtrack, according to this link? I mean, I've never heard any Pendulum tracks while racing with the BGM on. Was this just an example of someone vandalizing the Wikipedia page or what?

Question!

Why a lot of people really wanted Spa?

(I am attached to Nurburgring so I have no idea whats the importance of Spa. Even I drive it myself in GT5/6, I dont quite attached to it, for me it is just another 2-minute old circuit...ps: yes i know nurburgring takes around 7 minutes lol)

I have a question for the few tweakers that frequents this forum:

Do you know if the pop-up headlights affects the car's performance at high speeds in-game?

As in, I'm driving my AE86 at, say 180mph on Route X, and for some reason I decide to turn on the headlights, does the increased aerodynamic drag coming from the opened headlights makes the car slow down a little bit?(in this case, imagine that the car is doing 180mph but merely being able to maintain it)

It's just something I got a little curious about.
Interesting question. I've never thought about that but I very much doubt that has any detrimental impact on performance. If any game has that, and I doubt it, I would say Assetto Corsa is the most likely.

Now when we know they can add different weather/time selection for the existing track (rain on RBR) maybe they can add night option for La Sarthe as well?
My dream all along was for Circuit de la Sarthe to have a night option. The omission of night there is one of those things that makes you question the decision making in PD. If Nordschleife has night there is no reason why la Sarthe should not.

Let's face it, night is not coming to Circuit de la Sarthe in GTS.

In addition to my previous question regarding the soundtrack, I was wondering if hypothetically, it'd be best if there was a class for track-day cars like the P1 GTR and Zonda R, and furthermore, if the Vulcan would be best-moved to this hypothetical class. In contrast, one could say the S-FR Racing Concept is more like a tuner, and the KTM X-Bow is still street legal, so neither would be the best fit for this "track-only" class.

Otherwise, I'm unsure why the P1 GTR and Zonda R are both in Gr.X.

In addition to my previous question regarding the soundtrack, I was wondering if hypothetically, it'd be best if there was a class for track-day cars like the P1 GTR and Zonda R, and furthermore, if the Vulcan would be best-moved to this hypothetical class. In contrast, one could say the S-FR Racing Concept is more like a tuner, and the KTM X-Bow is still street legal, so neither would be the best fit for this "track-only" class.

Otherwise, I'm unsure why the P1 GTR and Zonda R are both in Gr.X.

Imagine a group of children who -at the same time- didn’t want Gr.X to exist, but also, didn’t want uncompetitive cars grouped together. Despite this, they also present no alternatives. That’s effectively what you’re doing by postulating this on this forum. Believe me, I know. But I like the idea, personally.

My dream all along was for Circuit de la Sarthe to have a night option. The omission of night there is one of those things that makes you question the decision making in PD. If Nordschleife has night there is no reason why la Sarthe should not.

Let's face it, night is not coming to Circuit de la Sarthe in GTS.

I still have faith,I mean it was restored when I saw Spa back in GTS :)...anyway with Spa,just put night option on Sarthe and add some GT1 race cars and I would be happy as a kid!

Imagine a group of children who -at the same time- didn’t want Gr.X to exist, but also, didn’t want uncompetitive cars grouped together. Despite this, they also present no alternatives. That’s effectively what you’re doing by postulating this on this forum. Believe me, I know. But I like the idea, personally.

What do you mean? I suppose I'm suggesting a class for "track-day" cars instead of leaving them in Gr.X. They seem similar enough to be in a singular class, and I do like Gr.X being good for one-make cars like the W08, or some of the VGTs like the Daihatsu one. But I think some cars in Gr.X could be taken out of there and made into new groups, like a "Gr.SF" for the Super Formula cars.

Also what do you also suggest I do if not post here? I don't think I can reach out to anyone at PD or SIE about anything. That's why I post on forums like there because it feels like my best bet for anybody actively involved in my favorite IPs to read what I have to write about them, even if I'll never get their feedback on these things.

It all feels so hopeless and frustrating to have a lot of ideas, suggestions, and questions, but there's no way to know what's a good or bad idea because there's so much - including potential limitations - that can't be disclosed. Nobody to really talk with, really - too much of the process feels opaque. So it feels like my best bet is to post here, I guess.

Maybe I'd save myself the frustration and heartbreak if I just stopped playing videogames altogether, as long as I keep seeing potential in certain IPs, stories, game mechanics, etc. that I'll never be able to realize in a thousand years.

Last edited:
Back